Window of Opportunity (406)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by immhotep
    this without doubt the funniest stargate episode ever, if only that funny bit was all the way through........its a highlight of sg-1 and a credit to the actors, i hope we get another episode like that in atlantis, imagine makay and teyla doing the rounds!
    who knows what they'll do imagine the possibilty. I bet that McKay knows immidiatly that they can do anything they want without thinking about the consequenses for example kissing Dr Weir taking the puddle jumper and make a ride. Or making love in the puddle jumper
    Lord Zedd

Comment

that last commment was just wrong, but i agree, McKay would be even funnier if the same thing sort of happened. He'll probably do geeky stuff instead of playing golf through the gate though like playing Pong or Asteroid on the Atlantis database projector... nerd...

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
      - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
      - "I'm taking this loop off..."
      - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
      - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
      - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

id just love if they found janus's old experiment in a lab and they had to do WoO style thing in atlantis, theres more possibilitys than in stargate!like learning all the database with unlimited time!
        sigpic
        You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
        Stargate : Genesis |
        Original Starship DesignThread
        Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
        11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum
          Coincidentally, Sky One showed WoO a couple of nights ago as part of the SG1 start-to-finish teatime re-run. They listed it as 'one of the funniest episodes ever made'. Personally I disagree with this assessment. They should have said 'The funniest episode ever made'. There have been other eps in the past which have had some good comedy in them, but WoO shoots 'em all down in flames when it comes to the 'Funniest Ep' accolade. At least it does for me.

I don't think there's anything in it that doesn't work; everybody shines - and the sequence where Jack and Teal'c do the 'no consequences quickstep' is screamingly funny. I love Teal'c's look of satisfaction when he slams the door back in that poor little airman's face!

My favourite line, to this day, has to be "In the middle of my backswing????!!!" The melodramatic pose that Jack strikes as he says it just makes it even funnier.

Priceless.

Yeah definately. While it was on Sky One i saw it nearly all the time just to see one scene. and a few others!

Hulabaloo
          Tappity-tap. Tappity-tap.
          LOVE HIM-> DT
          ~Proud Member of the Ship Ship Hooray Special Ops Team~

Comment

Originally posted by Hulabaloo
            Yeah definately. While it was on Sky One i saw it nearly all the time just to see one scene. and a few others!

Hulabaloo
            Window of Opportunity is a great all round scifi comedy! There's so much that's already been discussed on this thread...and then there's a much less heralded scene with Jack, Daniel and Teal'c...

Jack and Teal'c had been told in a previous loop that they would have to learn 400 pages plus of alien text and somewhere along the way, Jack realized that would take a very long time (I still have to wonder exactly how long they were looping - I mean, Teal'c learned how to juggle, Jack learned pottery, and then there's the aforementioned learning of 400 pages of alien text...what else did they do in all that time?!??...but I digress).

Jack of course wants to take a short cut (who'd want to learn all of that stuff anyway?)...and thus the following scene ensues:

O’NEILL : I’m telling you, the only way to stop this loop (he touches
            the screen to bring up images of the pedestal)…is to figure out how
            to run that stuff.

DANIEL : If we really have had this conversation before then I
            probably pointed it out to you that there’s no way I can translate
            this entire text in less than a day.

O’NEILL : Oh, I am so ahead of you (he retrieves a tape recorder
            from the table). I put the whole thing on tape last time so you don’t
            have to start from scratch.

He presses play but nothing is heard. DANIEL looks at him.
            O’NEILL hits the recorder onto the table to get it working in frustration.

DANIEL : If what you say is true then when the loop started again then
            your recording wouldn’t have happened…yet.
            O’NEILL : Right.
            O’NEILL puts the tape recorder down.

TEAL’C : Did I not say that your plan would be unsuccessful?
            O’NEILL (raises a finger at TEAL’C to shut him up): Careful…be careful.

O’NEILL : (To DANIEL) What about notes? Indelible ink?

This scene doesn't get much play because of the MANY others (like the golfing, the resignation and the Daniel getting pummeled in the hallway moments...) but it deserves its due...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

All the scenes were great, but people will remember the golf one the most because of the physical comedy. Just simple looks between O'Neill, Teal'c and Daniel make it a classic, and the way they all go "No we didn't" "Yes we did..." "No we didn't" "Yes we did..." "No we didn't" "Yes we did..." etc...

classic...

- "I ask you. What could possibly be in my eye that would explain this?"
              - "Lose it…it meant go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one’s faculties, three fries short of a happy meal….WACKO!"
              - "I'm taking this loop off..."
              - "Did they try the doughnuts? You made sure they were krispy kremes right?"
              - "Carter, all I heard was matrix, and I found those films quite confusing."
              - "I played Def Jam Vendetta."

Comment

In fact, I don't think there's a single 'comedy' moment that doesn't work a treat throughout the whole episode; and then, right at the end, the slapstick is balanced out by the marvellously poignant scene when Jack finally persuades Malaki that all he's going to do if he actually does persuade the machine to work (which we all know he won't), is relive the most miserable experience of his life.

He's not the only one who's been there - everyone on SG1 has been through some form of tragedy - but he's the one who makes the connection with Malaki and finally gets the loop stopped for good. Okay, it needed Daniel to teach Jack and Teal'c enough of the Ancient text to understand the machine, what it was built to do and what was wrong with it; it needed Sam to work out how the technology actually worked, but when push came to shove, it needed a more 'human' touch to get the job done.

We all know that Jack's not generally the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but there are times when he really shines; and this is one of those times.
                sigpic

Comment

Anyone know where i can download the scene with the whole wacko thing cos i really wanna show my friend cos im always goin on about how fricken hilarios it is

Daniel: The Others would have stopped you.
                  Jack: They'd have a hell of a fight on their hands...
                  Daniel: You wouldn't do that...
                  Jack: Ba'al would be dead...
                  Daniel: Jack...
                  Jack: ...And don't think I'd stop there!
                  Daniel: You're a better man than that...
                  Jack: That's where you're wrong!

Comment

I think Window of Opportunity is my all time favorite episode, for sheer laughs. One of my favorite exchanges, is as follows:

Teal'c: Col O'Neill, should we not be assisting Daniel Jackson with the translation?
                    Jack: I'm taking this loop off. I'm telling you, Teal'c, if we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm going to lose it.
                    (Teal'c throws Jack a look, eyebrow arched)
                    Jack: It means go crazy. Insane. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Nuts. Out of one's tree. Bonzo. Three fries short of a happy meal.
                    Last edited by Lida; 03 May 2005, 06:22 AM.
                    On fighting:
                    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

In fact, I don't think there's a single 'comedy' moment that doesn't work a treat throughout the whole episode; and then, right at the end, the slapstick is balanced out by the marvellously poignant scene when Jack finally persuades Malaki that all he's going to do if he actually does persuade the machine to work (which we all know he won't), is relive the most miserable experience of his life.

He's not the only one who's been there - everyone on SG1 has been through some form of tragedy - but he's the one who makes the connection with Malaki and finally gets the loop stopped for good. Okay, it needed Daniel to teach Jack and Teal'c enough of the Ancient text to understand the machine, what it was built to do and what was wrong with it; it needed Sam to work out how the technology actually worked, but when push came to shove, it needed a more 'human' touch to get the job done.

We all know that Jack's not generally the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but there are times when he really shines; and this is one of those times.
                      amen! that really does sum up everything that i htink on this ep
                      Save us from danger, save us from evil
                      Servatis a periculum, Servatis a maleficum

Comment

Something occured to me while watching this again tonight on Stargate Monday: the Ancients built the machine to go back and change their fate. But in Atlantis' Before I Sleep, the Ancients seemd extremely upset about the idea of tampering with time....doesn't really track unless the events in WofO are the reason for them thinking that way. Just a thought...
                        And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
                        Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
                        Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
                        Daniel: Oh! You see?
                        Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
                          Something occured to me while watching this again tonight on Stargate Monday: the Ancients built the machine to go back and change their fate. But in Atlantis' Before I Sleep, the Ancients seemd extremely upset about the idea of tampering with time....doesn't really track unless the events in WofO are the reason for them thinking that way. Just a thought...
                          I tend to agree with you on that thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
                            No, it seems that the Loop Machine was built after they came back. I figure they were so desperate, they would try anything. I realize that the idea of desperate Ancients is kinda far-fetched, but it's the only explanation.
                            Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Given that porridge is made from oats as well, I suppose I tend to view them as the same thing - though porridge doesn't normally get served in a big sticky stodgy mass like that!
                              In the original script, it was supposed to be tuna casserole, but Peter DeLuise felt that oatmeal would be a better choice. I second that.

As for Jack looking like he's not enjoying it...I think his mind is just preoccupied, with thoughts of Sam, the kiss, and anything else he may have done while looping.
                              On fighting:
                              Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                              Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Cant BELIEVE no-ones mentioned this:

Carter: We haven't been to P4X-639.

O'Neill:
                                (to Carter)Yes, we have.
                                (to Daniel)
                                No, we haven't. That's what you were going to say.

Daniel:
                                Of course, that's what I was going to say.

O'Neill:
                                (thinks for a moment)
                                Okay, bad example.

later...

O'Neill
                                Hey, if it were just me, I'd agree but what about Teal'c? Come on! Is this a face of a crazy man?
                                (points to Teal'c)

Teal'c slowly turns his head, blinking slowly, as he looks at O'Neill with that serious look on his face.

Hammond narrows his eyes and looks at Teal'c.

O'Neill
                                (pause after thinking)
                                Bad example.

later.....

O'Neill:
                                What archaeologist do you know that carries a gun??!

Daniel:
                                Err... I do!

O'Neill:
                                Bad example..

LOL I love that!!!

And btw BEST EP EVER!!
                                Sig by SamJackShipLover, thank you!!

"The Titanic lies in 13,000 feet of water on a gently sloping alpinelike countryside overlooking a small canyon below. Its bow faces north and the ship sits upright on the bottom. There is no light at this great depth and little life can be found. It is a quiet and peaceful and fitting place for the remains of this greatest of sea tradgedies to rest. May it forever remain that way and may God bless these found souls." - Robert D. Ballard, 1985.

Comment

Working...
                                X