Divide and Conquer (405)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
    Did the Stargate writers ever take any serious interest in fan input on episodes, especially when there were holes in the plot, or did their vanity get in the way, i.e. that at the salary levels they were at they couldn't possibly have made any writing mistakes??
    They weren't being paid to take fan input. Once you write, direct and produce a television series that manages to stay on the air for 10 years in the face of corporate sponsorship that cares only about advertising income, then you can legitimately accuse TPTB of vanity in refusing to fill plot holes (some of which only you can apparently see). TPTB never denied the existence of plot holes.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
      Did the Stargate writers ever take any serious interest in fan input on episodes, especially when there were holes in the plot, or did their vanity get in the way, i.e. that at the salary levels they were at they couldn't possibly have made any writing mistakes??
      Statisfying fans is a tricky proposition. Which fans do you satisfy (because there will always be some who will be disgruntled regardless)?

Season 4 has long been consider among the best (if not the best) of all Stargate. There weren't very many unsatisfied fans around this time. Now I'll concede that I personally believe the PTB became increasingly tone deaf but I wouldn't couldn't call their poor choices (IMO) writing mistakes as much as errors in judgment.

What you are calling plot holes or mistakes I think would more accurately be characterized as unecessary detail. If you are looking for a slow, overly-detailed, arc driven show you should probably check out SGU. It might be more to your taste.

Comment

Alrght episode...

Comment

The whole concept of zatarcs was interesting, but seems like one of those "plot-killer" kinda things. Because if any human or Tokra could indeed be brainwashed to do something as complex and against their moral principles as kill a specific person when given a very specific cue with just a few moments of exposure, then how could Earth or the Tokra ever have survived, much less won the war?

Just by brainwashing SG-14, the Goauld should've gotten critical detail about Earth and its defenses, about the Tokra and their location, and, critically, the iris radio codes. Why bother brainwashing them into disrupting some sort of peace summit? Why not just have SG-14 return to Earth and as soon as they're through, start shooting up everyone, immediately followed by a mass assault by Goauld through the gate, using the iris codes, base self-destruct codes, security measures, to wipe out the SGC and subjugate the Earth for good?

There's a good reason why zatarcs were never brought up again - because if they had, we'd all be speaking ancient Egyptian now.

Comment

Originally posted by skim172 View Post
            The whole concept of zatarcs was interesting, but seems like one of those "plot-killer" kinda things. Because if any human or Tokra could indeed be brainwashed to do something as complex and against their moral principles as kill a specific person when given a very specific cue with just a few moments of exposure, then how could Earth or the Tokra ever have survived, much less won the war?

Just by brainwashing SG-14, the Goauld should've gotten critical detail about Earth and its defenses, about the Tokra and their location, and, critically, the iris radio codes. Why bother brainwashing them into disrupting some sort of peace summit? Why not just have SG-14 return to Earth and as soon as they're through, start shooting up everyone, immediately followed by a mass assault by Goauld through the gate, using the iris codes, base self-destruct codes, security measures, to wipe out the SGC and subjugate the Earth for good?

There's a good reason why zatarcs were never brought up again - because if they had, we'd all be speaking ancient Egyptian now.
            I love this ep, but I have to agree with this comment. I'm kinda glad that it wasn't brought up again (except in Allegiance in season 6 but that doesnt really count seeing as it wasn't the focus of the episode) although it would be cool to speak ancient egyptian lol
            "You ended the world for me, because you believed I could bring it back." -unknown

Comment

Originally posted by skim172 View Post

Well, the teams/Tok'ra had to be captured by the Goa'uld first to be brainwashed, without anyone witnessing it. The process can apparently give someone a trigger and accompanying action/mission (like kill [name]) but that doesn't necessarily mean the Goa'uld can access classified information from their minds. I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that the zatarc process also included interrogations.

I blame the Tok'ra subspace network (Reckoning) and/or spies for the Goa'uld knowing about the summit, because I doubt it was extracted from one of the zatarcs. I also blame said network for the Goa'uld and other aliens in the galaxy knowing Selmak's host was Sam's father, because that simply doesn't sound like something any soldier would freely advertise.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Oh, the angst! Oh, the drama! Oh, the suspense!

Oh look, Martouf just kicked the bucket....

Bar none, one of the most important episodes of the season...well, at least as far as interpersonal relationships in everyone's favorite SG team go.

The...less-than-genius Anise has returned to wreak even more havoc on Sg-1. We learn about zatarcs and everyone is tested...except, conveniently, the Tok'ra. And they of course forgot to work out all the bugs...

Anyway, whether one is a Sam/Jack shipper or not, 'Divide and Conquer' is a must-see. It has action, suspense, drama, and romance. The music is beautiful.

And let's face it, the look Sam gives Jack as she's led down the hallway is heartbreaking.

Then poor old Marty dies in her arms...I'm gonna go into a corner and cry now....

Best lines:

"Do we, or do we not have a Zanax detector?"

"Because I care about her...a lot more than I'm supposed to."
                "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

Great episode. I was a bit shocked that they killed Martouf, as he was one of the nicer Tok'ra.. I liked his character but I didn't really like his relationship with Sam, as it seemed awkward to me.. Seems Sam usually has to go through a lot of trouble to access Jolinar's memories but when it came to the feelings towards Lantosh / Martouf, the difficulty seemed to be to shut them off..

I like the development of Sam / Jack relationship in this episode as well. They tend to flirt a quite a bit but in this episode they are forced to admit their feelings to themselves and to each other. Due to their professional relationship they can not really act on those feelings and although in real life that would be quite sad, I think drama-wise it works. And from now on, it brings a new dimension to their relationship in the coming episodes as well, even it the theme isn't quite so obviously brought to our attention...

What I found very awkward in this ep. was Freya's come on to Jack, it seemed so out of nowhere (not that I couldn't relate, Jack is hot! ). Jack and Daniel's exchange about the incident was very funny, so I don't mind that it happened.. But as I was watching the ep, I was like WHAT?!?

The idea of Goa'uld brainwashed assassins could have been developed more after introducing the idea here. It wasn't mentioned again at least in the next couple of seasons. On one hand it's a pity, but how would they have done it without repeating themselves... I don't know. It's an interesting idea though... Maybe this way (it being a theme of one ep) it doesn't get old, the way (at least to me) the whole "being caught in a Goa'uld mothership and trying to figure a way out and coming up with a way the very last moment before the ship explodes" -idea has been done too many times..

Comment

I haven't seen that ep as often as some of the others so I forget how much I like it, but how much I hate clip shows.

Do the Tok'ra only get to wear leggings when they are high ranking?
                    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Is it really a clip show when most of the clips aren't in the earlier show?

Seaboe
                      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

most of them were, just not the mooning about between Sam & Jack

and it's not really a clip show since there are very few clips but still. Grr.
                        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't call it a clip show. Half the scenes shown weren't even in the Upgrades episode
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
                            most of them were, just not the mooning about between Sam & Jack
                            Actually, the stuff with Daniel and the naquadah was also not in the earlier show.

Seaboe

Comment

O'neill kissing with Freya : "Hey, I could blow here any minute"
                              Last edited by Vargur; 04 June 2013, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Being kissed by Freya, thank you. Subtle difference. I love how he can't decide what to do with his hands.

Seaboe

Comment

Working...
                                X