No announcement yet.

New Ground (319)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would love it see us revisit that world with the prommie, going through the gate would be foolish, they are more avanced than us, but with a ship we could beam random people up and tell them about us then beam them down and get though to them that way. also niam has been seen, i think he works in dr jacksons lab, we saw him as an apprenctice i think, he work with dr lee and that lot, crystel skull we saw him in, and window of oppertunity, and some others....he not gone we see him everynow and then!
    sigpic
    You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
    Stargate : Genesis |
    Original Starship DesignThread
    Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
    11000! green me

Comment

Yes Teal'c seems really helpless when he's blind and looks so grey. He really does look awful. When the team are in the cages, you feel for them - Daniel shows emotion more than the others but I was impressed that none of them gave away Teal'c. I'm sure Jack and Sam are familiar with interrogation situations but Daniel was great.

Comment

This was a good episode in general, but the thing I hated most was the fact that the first thing we see was Nyan uncovering the Earth Gate Symbol! I thought it was a flash back to Egypt or something.

Great to see that it's the same guy from the Atlantis' "Defiant One", and it was a fun episode in general, these kinda episodes annoy me because I find myself wanting them to do something and them just making it worse for themselves *soakes head in horse trough*

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. Technically it could be considered a filler episode, and usually I don't like those, but I liked this one.

It's always interesting when SG1 encounters other human cultures that are within the same rough range of technological development. As always, they didn't actually get to gain any new technology (*sigh*), but still. I love seeing new gadgets and knowing that there are others very much like us out there.

I felt so, so sad for Teal'c. He's such a trooper, no matter what, and I love him for it. He can always be depended on, regardless of his condition. Nyan turned out to be quite a good character as well, bright, open-minded, and compassionate. I hope to see more of him or get some type of follow up (wishful thinking, though, most likely).

The ethical implications of faith were explored well in this ep. Believing in something purely for the sake of belief, and because you are determined to 'be right' in your own little warped perception, is incredibly dangerous. Extreme dogmatic views which respond to questioning with unthinking, brute force terrify me.

Oh and yes, the cages were downright sexy. Mmmmm...

Comment

I have a lot of things to think about from this episode.

1. Many times I have seen the discussion about what can and cannot be done from the arriving end of a wormhole, (incoming wormhole). Some people have said that you cannot put any part of your body into it, from outside the event horizon, or you would lose said part. (For example, the discussion on Shades Of Grey, they say Jack "had to not take his hand out as he rematerialized", etc.). But this epsidoe seems to show this is not true. When the gate first activates, Nyan puts his hand in, says it doesn't feel like water, then takes his hand out.

2. Really loved the science vs. religion aspect and I agree they should do more with things like that in these kind of episodes, then just drop them and move on to an action piece.

3. I hope we see more of Nyan.

4. At the end, Jack tells Nyan maybe one day things will change on your world and we can go back there. I was then expecting the show to go back to his planet and show the military there, burying the Stargate and DHD, very deep underground, to maintain their belief system. Not sure if I really wanted that to be the outcome or not, but kinda thought that is what we would see. Given that Rygar was so closed-minded.
            Last edited by QuiGonJohn; 13 May 2005, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Why is Teal'c so clueless of what he is doing blind? Wasn't he trained blindfolded, by Bra'tac to use all his senses?

Comment

Originally posted by thorshammer
                Why is Teal'c so clueless of what he is doing blind? Wasn't he trained blindfolded, by Bra'tac to use all his senses?
                True, but maybe being wounded & the larva being wounded makes it harder.

Comment

And that the writers wrote New Ground before Threshold.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by GatetheWay
                    And that the writers wrote New Ground before Threshold.
                    Good point. That's one thing we sometimes forget--the writers don't always know where they're going with something down the road.
                    I like the commitment to the team Teal'c showed in the episode.

Comment

So I take it then, that Nyan doesnt come into play for future series? Shame

When you consider the amount of resistance we have to proove the earth is not flat, this episode was quite ironic and powerful in my view.

Comment

What I don't understand about this episode is that since there was not DHD, they were planning to dial home manually. But how is that possible if the gate is stuck in the rock?

From what I undestand about the gate (and I must confess it's not too much), the inner track of the gate should spin in order to dial TO another planet, but does it not also spin when it RECEIVES an incoming wormhole? Because the gate in this planet didn't...

Am I just overthinking it all?
                        Courses that I would most definitively take at the Stargate University:

Ascension, Descension and the importance of flags, by Dr. Daniel Jackson
                        (Thanks to Merentha for proposing it!)

Comment

Originally posted by Lucreleia
                          What I don't understand about this episode is that since there was not DHD, they were planning to dial home manually. But how is that possible if the gate is stuck in the rock?

From what I undestand about the gate (and I must confess it's not too much), the inner track of the gate should spin in order to dial TO another planet, but does it not also spin when it RECEIVES an incoming wormhole? Because the gate in this planet didn't...

Am I just overthinking it all?
                          Overthinking. If the gate worked, then they can dial it manually, (they have to be able to, it's in the script).

Comment

From what I understand, the Stargate's lights just light up at a slower rate rather then the inner track spinning along with the Earth gate.
                            Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

I think this came a bit close to how the religons on earth see things.*We came through a stargate* --*no you didn't*--*Look it's working right now!!*--*No it's not it's a trick* (not actual words used in episode).
                              It was a bit infuriating that they didn't believe them even when they saw it work. It was funny in places though, jack had some good comebacks.
                              I just wished the optricans had popped by to go *told you so!*
                              Teal'c had a good episode, it was nice to see him talk to someone else other than SG1, and make a friend

Comment

I liked this episode. I'm always watching episodes thinking "if our gate was in outer mongolia with only nomads around it travellers would come through thinking we where a primitive race when in fact in the same world (in the sg universe) there are nations capubable of intergalactic travel. So for once its nice to hear about multiple nations on a planet.

Comment

Working...
                                X