No announcement yet.

Past and Present (311)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aside from watching in horror as Daniel flirts with a women 20 minutes after I watched him bury his wife, my biggest problem with this episode is letting Keira go.
    I have no problem forgiving her for what she can't remember. My problem is, if the SGC is constantly under pressure to find new technologies and justify gate travel, then wouldn't Keira's biochemistry knowledge be like finding a Holy Grail? I mean she made a cold fusion reactor out of roots and a fountain of youth out of a pesticide. Why can't we keep her in a lab on Earth (and with Daniel since he so quickly got over Shar're for her). It seems a find like Keira would keep Maybourne off they back for quite a while. I think the people of the planet they found her on would be better off without her. Not to mention it would keep her from re-discovering her true self.
    As far as her true self goes, it is possible to remember the most important (as judged by your subconscious) memories relating to personality (which I believe is mostly stored in the frontal lobe), motor function, and of course in Keira's case scientific knowledge. As far as her mass murdering tendencies, when she says she has two people within it I thought that lent some credence to an argument for severe emotional trauma at a young age. It is possible that she had some evil tendencies, I like to think you don't leap to mass murderer without severe emotional trauma. After all if you agree with Eddie Izzard Hitler might have been a nice guy if he had been a better painter. ;^)
    I thought the photography catch was a good one. I too assumed they had only recently brought photography to the masses and therefore only photos of old people. When they first stepped through the gate I started thinking Genni, but they're a little less developed than the Genni. Only just.

Comment

i didnt like how soon after "FIAD" this was.
      it didnt seem right.
      but it did have some nice moments and i do like the episode.
      extreamly unfortunate hair though!
      i mean come on!
      where did they buy that wig???
      and more importantly they burned it after right???

-Kat

Stargate SG-1

The best thing to ever happen to TV...and LIFE!

Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

This is a great episode. The whole concept of person being a sum of his/hers memories is fascinating. What a great way to bring Linea back.

Comment

great episode i agree with u Tochyon about it being an interesting concept
          sigpic

Comment

I am split on this one. I liked the actress who plays Ke'ra/Lanea and I liked how they brought her back. Interesting twist. I just don't like Daniel falling for her in the episode right after he buries his wife. *sigh*
            sigpic

Comment

Nice surprise this one was. I liked it for the way it weaved the story and ended it so happily
              no means no, and so does pepper spray
              Sig by The Carpenter
              sigpic

Comment

Good episode but a little slow.

I was surprised at the tie in to the old character. I didn't see it coming.

Comment

Interesting episode, and I loved seeing Linea again. However, I can't believe they let Ke'ra go! And yeah, this episode would've been better placed a bit later in the season, it was much too soon after Sha're's death.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah agree it should have been later on in the season. Just to give it a bit of space between Sha're's death.

I'm really suspicious of how they just let Ke'ra go. It just seemed quote - considering the fact they knew she really was Linea with the memories.

Daniel falling for her was a bit random - especially given the timing of his wife's death - then again he was vulnerable but still it wasn't really a good thing to poor Daniel.
                    sigpic

Comment

Even though the episode was super predictable, it was a heck of a lot of fun (like most!)

I like the concept of choosing to re-forget. It reminds me of Memento or something like that Or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
                      sigpic
                      Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
                      O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
                      Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
                      O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

My memory (that's not intended as a joke) was telling me that this was a boring episode going in, but I found myself very wrapped up in what was happening. At the same time, I don't feel I have a lot to say about it. I enjoy this one for some good character development and an intriguing setup with more and more being revealed to us as the episode continues.

- I like the actress for Ke'ra/Linea, I thought she did a great job. She was delightful. Conversely, Dr. Frasier and Carter got on my nerves a bit with the way they were treating her.

- Jack falling for another woman right after the events of the previous episode was not good planning. It feels so wrong. The suggestion seems to be that they slept together here, is that correct?

- I really liked Daniel's speech/rant in the briefing room, nice writing.

- The world "vorlix" sounds very silly, it took me out of the episode everytime somebody said it. I kept thinking of Horlicks.

- This episode feels like a new style of storytelling for the show, one that would become quite common later on SG Atlantis. It really has the feel of an Atlantis episode more than SG-1, but I think this is the one where the style originated.

RATING: 7 out of 10
                        Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

I like Ke'ra in general, but I wish she'd slowed down after Daniel told her he had just lost his wife. Her explanation was that she wanted to take the opportunity to act on her feelings before regaining her memory; but that doesn't seem to stand up against "I need some time because my wife just died".

Unrelatedly, Vyus is a pretty cool-looking place. (They have zeppelins!) Hopefully the SGC still checks in once in a while to make sure Ke'ra is still Ke'ra...
                          Last edited by syncline; 12 October 2011, 01:12 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                            - Jack falling for another woman right after the events of the previous episode was not good planning. It feels so wrong. The suggestion seems to be that they slept together here, is that correct?
                            Jack? I believe you mean Daniel. As for whether there was sex, I believe it was deliberately vague. Those who want there to have been sex can find reasons, those who don't want there to have been sex can find reasons.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                              My memory (that's not intended as a joke) was telling me that this was a boring episode going in, but I found myself very wrapped up in what was happening. At the same time, I don't feel I have a lot to say about it. I enjoy this one for some good character development and an intriguing setup with more and more being revealed to us as the episode continues.

- I like the actress for Ke'ra/Linea, I thought she did a great job. She was delightful. Conversely, Dr. Frasier and Carter got on my nerves a bit with the way they were treating her.

- I really liked Daniel's speech/rant in the briefing room, nice writing.

- The world "vorlix" sounds very silly, it took me out of the episode everytime somebody said it. I kept thinking of Horlicks.

- This episode feels like a new style of storytelling for the show, one that would become quite common later on SG Atlantis. It really has the feel of an Atlantis episode more than SG-1, but I think this is the one where the style originated.

RATING: 7 out of 10
                              Interesting observation, I see what you mean! Jonas' home world was like that too, and they kept that feel in SGU as well in a couple of episodes.

I too noticed and was a bit taken aback by Daniel's (I believe you meant to say Daniel) allowing Ke'ra to continue kissing him and him kissing back even after telling her he was getting over the death of his wife! Huh?!!!

At least the schizophrenic 'Destroyer of Worlds' gets to keep her better half! I've always wondered what happened to make her like that, she clearly didn't want to be like that and it showed when she chose to lose her memory again.

LOL! 'Vorlix' and Horlicks...... 'Vorlix' was an odd word! More suited to those ads of middle aged couples with Cheshire Cat grins after the man took a certain tablet!

Comment

Oops yes, I meant Daniel, of course!
                                Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Working...
                                X