No announcement yet.

Forever In a Day (310)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy this episode for the emotional impact it has, but I think it's very flawed.

On a first viewing it's utterly confusing, and it's only after seeing it several times that I came to understand the only parts of it which are real are the beginning and end - although, it really makes it difficult to accept that. There are too many moments in the so called "dream" sequences which are far too solid, such as the addition of Rothman to the team, and the small moments where people are talking when Daniel isn't around (Jack and Rothman, Jack and Hammond, the moment after Daniel jumps through the gate).

Also, the episode is much too repetitive and moves at a snail's pace. We flashback to the "hear me, Daniel" moment too much. The actress who plays Sha're (can't remember how to spell her name) is particularly bad in this episode. I was never a big fan of hers, but she really doesn't do a good job here. For these reasons, I think the episode would have worked much better without her in it apart from the start/finish, and just played through with the twist at the end that the whole thing has been a dream sent by Sha're through the hand device.

The good points of the episode are that it's genuinely emotional, and there is some very heavy stuff between our characters. Daniel's eventual forgiveness of Teal'c is handled well. The fight at the start of the episode is all a bit over the top, and the big vehicle-mounted gun is kind of ridiculous. There's some pretty poor continuity in some scenes, notably on Abydos where the weather changes from dark and windy to bright sun between shots.

I really like the purple plant planet at the end, it's a great effect.

RATING: 6.5 out of 10
    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

On re-viewing, I disliked this less than I recalled.

One part I did like was Jack dismissing Rothman--I think it makes clear that Jack is confident enough in himself to repeat the phrase Daniel used as a put down (because he was mad at Jack at the time): "Because I'm intimidated by your intelligence; where's the confusion here?" Clearly, it doesn't bother Jack at all to be surrounded by people who are more intelligent than he is.

I know, I know, this episode is all about Daniel. Yawn.

Seaboe

ETA: I was just reminded that this episode does make very good use of slo-mo, IMO.
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Other than bringing a close to Daniel's search for Shau're and starting the Harsesis child search this episode wasn't one I enjoyed that much.

It was at this point in Stargate I noticed the fact that the SG teams can kill the Jaffa so easily now on a regular basis! The 'invincibility factor' has dropped to zero for convenience of storytelling it seems!!! Daniel facing off against two of Amunet's personal guards with just a handgun, that he was slow to reload as well!!! He was out there in the open, by rights he would have been killed, it all just seemed so easy.

Not knowing what was real and what wasn't when Daniel was recalling what Shau're communicated through the hand device, whilst a good idea was very confusing in its execution at times.

Comment

My LiveJournal post
          Not one of my fave eps, even though it's an important one...
          "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
          "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
          "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
          "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
          >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

I agree with LeftHandedGuitarist that the episode moved slowly due to the endless repitition.

I also agree with Krisz that SG has become nigh near invincible. When the horde of Jaffa came over the hill, dozens fell at once!
            Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Pretty Good episode. I loved the opening of this one, the battle between Us and the Goa'uld.

So Sha're is dead and thus ends part of the arc that is early SG-1.

I noticed that one of the shirts Daniel is wearing, is the one he would wear when visiting Jack at the beginning of "Full Circle."

Monday, I don't know what happens, haven't seen it in a while.
              sigpic

Comment

5pm and another ep of SG1...an ep I went on to watch in German..."Shar're ist tot" puhleese...

1. I'd forgotten just how insane that opening battle was! I could have probably taken out that Jaffa that Daniel took out with a handgun!

2. Was bummed that Sha're was dead - I hadn't thought that Daniel would quit the SGC if Sha're died...

3. The dreams were wierd though - took a while to work out what was going on.

4. First impression of Rothman...standard geek.

5. All a dream...made it a bit wierd...but still...

Decent ep.
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

The first few times I ever watched this episode I didn't understand the episode at all. That is why I like the episode. Its complex that makes it harder to understand. And it demostrates the dream world of making little sense. I liked seeing Daniel tackle his demons and having to find the Harcesis child. If their is one compliant its how SG1 escaped such a huge number of Jaffa warriors
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I know there's plenty of stuff going on in this episode. I mean we have Sam picking up a whopping big gun and blowin' away a ridgeline of Jaffa; Teal'c, through Chris Judge's poignent performance, rips our hearts open even as we wish he'd ask, "Does anyone believe in knocking anymore?" The best humor is primarily from Jack and between he and Daniel, "De ja vue?" or he and Rothman to lift the sombre mood. Daniel crediting Budge should have given the dream theme away!

But, I wouldn't argue with anyone stating this ep was simply eye candy.

Won't argure that one bit. Nope.

Comment

Not a great ep. The ending still confuses me.

Liked the mini tank thing though.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                        On a first viewing it's utterly confusing, and it's only after seeing it several times that I came to understand the only parts of it which are real are the beginning and end - although, it really makes it difficult to accept that. There are too many moments in the so called "dream" sequences which are far too solid, such as the addition of Rothman to the team, and the small moments where people are talking when Daniel isn't around (Jack and Rothman, Jack and Hammond, the moment after Daniel jumps through the gate).
                        I've always understood most of Sha're's appearances in this episode to be the work of Oma Daslla (spelling?). Kasuf is seeing Sha're too. It's not Daniel's imagination. And what is Sha're's message? Find the boy. Find Keb. Keb, where Oma Dasalla is.

Seen this way, the "far too solid" sequences are perfectly normal. Daniel really did resign. Rothman really was hired, which also aligns with his later employment in the series.

Comment

This episode was written before "Maternal Instinct," and long before Oma was revealed to be an ascended ancient. Looking back, you can see it that way, but looking at it from a production point of view, that was never the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                            I've always understood most of Sha're's appearances in this episode to be the work of Oma Daslla (spelling?). Kasuf is seeing Sha're too. It's not Daniel's imagination. And what is Sha're's message? Find the boy. Find Keb. Keb, where Oma Dasalla is..
                            That would be an interesting twist if they did it that way.. Would make Oma's picking of Daniel to ascend much more of a planned thing..

Comment

I'm still confused by the ending. It's like the start of the movie happens all over again.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                                I'm still confused by the ending. It's like the start of the movie happens all over again.
                                I think almost everyone is confused watching this episode the first time. Upon rewatching I realized that most of the episode is a 'dream sequence' that takes place in the few seconds that Daniel is under the influence of the hand device. Only the opening and ending scences actually happen. The rest is a 'dream' caused by Sha're's attempt to communicate with Daniel through the hand device.

Comment

Working...
                                X