Into the Fire (301)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    I have heard Jack refer to the team as Sierra Gulf, but not on too many occasions, and mostly when talking over the radio.
    Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
    I guess that since SG-(number) is the actual name of each team, it would make sense to refer to them as such on the field instead of "Stargate Team (number)." Referring to them as SG-1, SG-5, etc. using normal language is also quicker, and I think for the sake of consistency they would spell out those same names using the spelling alphabet.

I haven't heard of the teams being called "Stargate (Team) One, Stargate Team Two, etc." so I don't think SG-1 is necessarily an abbreviation of another official name.

I don't know if this is related, but, if memory serves, in Proving Ground Jack referred to SGC as Sierra Golf Charlie when "finding out" about a foothold situation over radio. I'm not too sure when else they would have had to identify themselves as such. With regard to the different teams, not confusing the numbers might be important enough to warrant using the spelling alphabet through audio transmission.

Anyone can feel free to correct me. I have no background in this area.
    I don't understand the logic of that.

Why would O'Neill say "Sierra Golf Charlie" rather than just "Stargate Command"?

Stargate Command is only SGC for brevity. "Sierra Golf Charlie" is just as much to say as "Stargate Command".

Is there some real world military reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      I have heard Jack refer to the team as Sierra Gulf, but not on too many occasions, and mostly when talking over the radio.
      ...Isn't that usually so that anyone who doesn't understand 'Military code' won't know what he is talking about

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
      "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
      a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
        ...Isn't that usually so that anyone who doesn't understand 'Military code' won't know what he is talking about
        Yup. Also spelling things out phonetically is done to get rid of possible misunderstandings of words..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          Yup. Also spelling things out phonetically is done to get rid of possible misunderstandings of words..
          Thank you. I didn't know that. That makes a lot of sense.. .

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
          "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
          a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

they also do a bit of the "sierra golf" phonetic radio calls towards the end of Stargate: Continuum when Sam, Daniel & Mitchell are flying to get to the backup stargate in Russia. It seems that they do the NATO phonetic calls in episodes where there may be more than one SG team involved, or when there may be others listening in.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
              I don't understand the logic of that.

Why would O'Neill say "Sierra Golf Charlie" rather than just "Stargate Command"?

Stargate Command is only SGC for brevity. "Sierra Golf Charlie" is just as much to say as "Stargate Command".

Is there some real world military reason?
              He's saying it over radio, so clarity? SGC might just be the agreed upon name to use in such situations. To be honest, I haven't paid attention to the times they've said "Stargate Command" while someone is off-world or talking through a transmission. It sounds a bit drawn out to me, anyway.

Also, he was trying (well, faking) to be cryptic about it in front of the potential recruits, who deduced Sierra Golf Charlie to mean SGC. I don't know what protocol would really have been in that situation (relaying info about a foothold with a trusted source), but maybe in that instance it was for the sake of piquing the recruits' interest as part of the game plan.
              rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

He's saying it over radio, so clarity? SGC might just be the agreed upon name to use in such situations. To be honest, I haven't paid attention to the times they've said "Stargate Command" while someone is off-world or talking through a transmission. It sounds a bit drawn out to me, anyway.

Also, he was trying (well, faking) to be cryptic about it in front of the potential recruits, who deduced Sierra Golf Charlie to mean SGC. I don't know what protocol would really have been in that situation (relaying info about a foothold with a trusted source), but maybe in that instance it was for the sake of piquing the recruits' interest as part of the game plan.
                I haven't got to that episode yet, so I'm not understanding the context.

However, can you clarify just what exactly "SG-1" actually means?

Is it ever stated in the show (no spoilers please) what it stands for?

I have always assumed "SG" is "Stargate".*Certainly, the letters weren't chosen randomly by the producers.

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                  I haven't got to that episode yet, so I'm not understanding the context.

However, can you clarify just what exactly "SG-1" actually means?

Is it ever stated in the show (no spoilers please) what it stands for?

I have always assumed "SG" is "Stargate".*Certainly, the letters weren't chosen randomly by the producers.
                  Oh, whoops, I didn't realize you hadn't seen it yet.

I always assumed "SG-1" meant something like "StarGate (Team) One" without there actually being a longer name than SG-1. It seemed like a name that only referred to the word "Stargate" but didn't officially stand for it - like you wouldn't find it written out like that anywhere. Who knows for sure, though? I don't believe this is ever clarified in the show.

However, I've found this old post, which you might want to look into further if you're interested.
                  rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

Actually, they'd use Sierra Golf Charlie over the radio because it's easy to misunderstand letters alone (I've had people think I was saying D instead of T, and F instead of S over the phone). So things are spelled out.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                      Actually, they'd use Sierra Golf Charlie over the radio because it's easy to misunderstand letters alone (I've had people think I was saying D instead of T, and F instead of S over the phone). So things are spelled out.

Seaboe
                      Which is what i said.. As a Mil communicator we use the Phonetic alphabet for clarity. I have lost count of the # of times watching Wheel of Fortune and thinking i heard someone call an "S" and thought they said "F". Or a T and thought they said B or D..

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe
                        Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Which is what i said.. As a Mil communicator we use the Phonetic alphabet for clarity. I have lost count of the # of times watching Wheel of Fortune and thinking i heard someone call an "S" and thought they said "F". Or a T and thought they said B or D..
                        I think I Am Not James Spader was wondering why they would say "SGC" (Sierra Golf Charlie) instead of "Stargate Command," for which I don't have a clear answer except that I rarely hear the base referred to as "Stargate Command," so it may have to do with consistency.
                        rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

I think I Am Not James Spader was wondering why they would say "SGC" (Sierra Golf Charlie) instead of "Stargate Command," for which I don't have a clear answer except that I rarely hear the base referred to as "Stargate Command," so it may have to do with consistency.
                          How often do we hear it being called 'Stargate Command"? ... It's a thing because of the patches... but do they just not use it enough for some of us to notice?

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate_Command

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaeclipse View Post
                            How often do we hear it being called 'Stargate Command"? ... It's a thing because of the patches... but do they just not use it enough for some of us to notice?

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate_Command
                            Like I said, I hardly recall hearing it. I'd prefer hearing "SGC" any day. Besides, "Sierra Golf Charlie" just sounds more normal to me when communicated over radio than "Stargate Command" would.
                            rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

Like I said, I hardly recall hearing it. I'd prefer hearing "SGC" any day. Besides, "Sierra Golf Charlie" just sounds more normal to me when communicated over radio than "Stargate Command" would.
                              I think I remember hearing General Hammond call it SGC, but I'm not sure...

Comment

One of the best eps for me - Hammond not by the book and at his best!!!
                                CARPE DIEM
                                ANJA

Comment

Working...
                                X