No announcement yet.

A Matter of Time (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A decent enough episode. An old concept of "what-if-we-poked-our-nose-into-a-black-hole" played off in a new light. The episode was a little slow at the times, can't point my finger on why exactly, but it showed a lot of character for Jack, Sam and Teal'C. The only problem might be the VFX a little old looking even for the second season of the show, and on contrary, I loved the initial scene with the black hole forming. So, I think, nothing outstanding, but nothing bad as well. Fair enough.

Rating: 6/10.
    Homo sum et nihil humani a me alienum puto, sic quod feci quod potui et sic potui, faciant meliora potentes. (c)

sigpic

Comment

Really enjoyed this ep. Cromwell was an interesting character. Does he come back? I don't remember. I have the book Do No Harm by Karen Miller, and Cromwell is in the beginning, but I haven't read the rest of it yet.

Loved the relative time concept. While that kind of thing means people can get away with a lot more things like developing plans and bombs in what would only be a matter of seconds for those in the base, it's still a fun twist.

But that's why I like sci-fi in general, I guess.
      rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
        Really enjoyed this ep. Cromwell was an interesting character. Does he come back? I don't remember. I have the book Do No Harm by Karen Miller, and Cromwell is in the beginning, but I haven't read the rest of it yet.

Loved the relative time concept. While that kind of thing means people can get away with a lot more things like developing plans and bombs in what would only be a matter of seconds for those in the base, it's still a fun twist.

No, Cromwell sacrificed himself knowing that the rope wouldn't hold both him and Jack. He died when he went through the stargate into the blackhole. The messed up thing about it was that he never got another mention in the episode.
        sigpic

Comment

I disagree that the rope wouldn't hold them both; I think Cromwell knew Jack couldn't haul him up against the extra gravity, and that Jack would never let him go (with the result that they would both die), so he deliberately let go.

The way that rope broke was stupid. Safety glass isn't that sharp, there was no reason why a single piece would rub against the rope enough to break it, and climbing ropes (which that was--or at least would've been in real life) aren't that fragile.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

He doesn't come back in the series, no. But you might enjoy this.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Why does Cromwell have a code that allows him access to SGC's computer systems, like the self-destruct?

And it was a strange ending with O'Neill and the others not saying something about the fact that he died saving Jack.

Comment

I always talk back to the TV at that point "and Col. Cromwell"

It's not the only place they do that.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Kali View Post
                  No, Cromwell sacrificed himself knowing that the rope wouldn't hold both him and Jack. He died when he went through the stargate into the blackhole. The messed up thing about it was that he never got another mention in the episode.
                  Yeah, I was thinking we might see him in a flashback or something, kind of like seeing Drey'auc again in Threshold. At the very least a mention of him would have made sense.

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                  He doesn't come back in the series, no. But you might enjoy this.
                  I can see you're a fan.
                  rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

Cromwell is mentioned repeatedly in one of the SG-1 books - "Do no harm" - as one of Cromwell's buddies (Dixon, maybe?) kept trying to get Jack to talk about his death, how he died, and the big rift that had been between them. I found that storyline kind of annoying and kind of over-used.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                      Cromwell is mentioned repeatedly in one of the SG-1 books - "Do no harm" - as one of Cromwell's buddies (Dixon, maybe?) kept trying to get Jack to talk about his death, how he died, and the big rift that had been between them. I found that storyline kind of annoying and kind of over-used.
                      I have the book, but I've only read part of the first chapter. My reasons for not really wanting to read it anymore are unrelated to Cromwell and Jack, though.

Hopefully it's not that bad.

ETA: Lol, I just realized who you were and that you already know about my apprehensions regarding the book. Regardless of how I feel about it now, I plan to keep reading it since I spent the money.

I guess it'll be interesting to hear about Cromwell again, in any case.
                      rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

ETA: Lol, I just realized who you were and that you already know about my apprehensions regarding the book. Regardless of how I feel about it now, I plan to keep reading it since I spent the money.

I guess it'll be interesting to hear about Cromwell again, in any case.
                        just skip to midway through the book, when Doc Fraiser takes over and does her medical genius stuff.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
                          just skip to midway through the book, when Doc Fraiser takes over and does her medical genius stuff.
                          Sounds like a plan, heh.
                          rest easy now

sigpic

// tumblr //

Comment

More importantly, how does Cromwell have access codes for SGC?

Comment

You're not the first person to ask about that. Yet another of the many things TPTB never thought about.

Maybe the SGC just uses the same security system as all other military bases with self destructs. :/

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                                More importantly, how does Cromwell have access codes for SGC?
                                Since the Pentagon thought there was some sort of invasion going on at the SGC, and they assigned him to find out what was going on, they likely gave him the access codes.

Comment

Working...
                                X