No announcement yet.

A Matter of Time (216)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one of my favorite SG-1 episodes ever. I absolutely love the concept here, the dilemma they need to solve in order to get out of the situation. I don't care if someone tries to poke scientific holes in the story. I ignore them. I just lean back, grap my popcorn and enjoy the ride.

Comment

I liked this episode even if the techno babble was over my head at times.
      sigpic

Comment

This is a great episode with a lot to recommend it. One thing I really like is seeing Sam so confident and in charge. She's really directing the things going on in the base, and when her own judgment is overridden by the Pentagon she doesn't give up and in the end does just what Jack told her to do--she thought of something.

Also happy to see the introduction of Major Davis. He is one of my favorite secondary characters and he comes in really strong here, briefing Hammond as he take him to see the President.

One thing I noticed on this rewatch was the interesting red lighting of the star map in the control room. It gave the scenes in there an erie, almost fatalistic feel, which I think was an excellent choice to contribute to the tension and under pin the guilt relating to Cromwell's and Jack's decisions to leave people behind.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          If anybody has watched the first Stargate movie the Stargate, and seen this episode then do you remember that during the black hole connection there was a tornado-like thing behind the gate. Similar thing was in Stargate movie
          oh yes.. I just watched the movie this morning and then Matter of Time.. it was like "oh.. there was no black hole around Abydos, right?". But it was a nice little thing, even though it was somhow strange.

I really like this Ep now.. the first time I saw it, i wasn't a big fan of it.. partly because Cromewell fell through Gate without having solved the "problem" with Jack, partly because i didn't really like this guy called Major Davis and idk..
          But luckily I got to rewatch it.. (love Davis now ) There is so much of the characters in this show. Sam giving orders, because she does know better and totally in technobabble (the doughnut was the best part!), Jack feeling responsible for Boyd and not wanting to leave them behind Teal'c being a friend who helps Sam, despite the lack of physic-knowledge and Hammond.. being Hammond
          Great mix between humor ("worm"holes-talk/doughnut/..) and darker moments (Boyd's team, Discussion between Cromwell/O'Neill or Jack handing his dog tags to Sam)!
          sigpic

Comment

Why is that in all the discussions I've found of Jack's injuries from the events of this episode, no one ever discusses what happened when he slammed, probably unconscious, into the wall of the gate room?

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
              Why is that in all the discussions I've found of Jack's injuries from the events of this episode, no one ever discusses what happened when he slammed, probably unconscious, into the wall of the gate room?

Seaboe
              Did he? I thought they pulled him back into the control room in time.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                In the last shot of him as the bomb goes off, he's still hanging there, looking up at Teal'c. They pulled him up far enough that the bomb didn't kill him, but not all the way to the control room.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

They didn't show him smashing to the wall, so he probably didn't. I'd expect him to hit the floor, though, once the wormhole shut down and the black hole's gravity effects disappeared. It's a big room and most of the explosive effects of the bomb were directed at the wormhole.

That said, it's an awesome episode. By far my favorite of the second season so far. Even if, like Hammond, relativity gives me a headache.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                    Seriously doubt it. Think where O'Neill was and how far he had to be pulled back before the bomb went off. He would've fallen, once the black holes effects had been cut off I'd say.

Comment

Funny thing happened the other day when my husband and I were discussing this episode. Relativity gives me a headache, just like Hammond. Only I told him "Reality gives me a headache." He looked at me like I'd lost my marbles, and I don't blame him.
                      sigpic

Comment

Lol...I'm with you on that one.

Comment

Loved this one actually. Great episode.
                          sigpic
                          Stargate Chicago Con 2010 Attendee

Comment

Jack climb up to Computer. And Beam destroy wormhole by Black hole. I love it. Sam adored Jack still alive.

http://www.rda-forever.com/images/jm...ime%20(14).jpg
                            Last edited by Bagpuss; 24 September 2011, 03:20 PM.

~HolyAngelQueenSG-1~

Comment

One of my favorite episodes, for a variety of reasons. Compelling character development in terms of Jack's past, great interplay between Jack and Sam (the science discussion, the "think of something" line) and between Sam and Teal'c (allowing himself to be the sounding board she needs as she tries to figure out how to solve the problem with the gate). The doughnut scene with Sam and General Hammond was priceless.

And I really liked the character of Colonel Cromwell. I do think there's enough of a loophole at the end, given how we really don't know what kind of effect the bomb blast might have had on the internal geometry of the wormhole, that says he could have conceivably still been in transit when it skipped to a different gate, the same way that Jack and Sam were in "Solitudes". If so, who's to say that he couldn't have ended up on P2A-870?

And yes, the idea spurred me to write a fanfic about that. If you want to read it, click one of the links below:
                              "All That We Leave Behind" (on fanfic.net)
                              "All That We Leave Behind" on my own website
                              Last edited by SF_and_Coffee; 21 February 2011, 04:29 PM. Reason: Wasn't sure I spelled "doughnut" right.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                              Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                              sigpic
                              now also appearing on DeviantArt
                              Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Have you read the books based on continuing this story: 'A matter of honor' and 'The cost of honor'? They are very interesting, this is one of my favorite episodes again for a variety of reasons, I think i'll give your fanfics a read at some point, I am intrigued.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X