The Tok'ra, Part 2 (212)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tachyon View Post
    The Tok'ra must be my all time favorite SG-1 two-parter.
    I was all like "OMG what a great story line!!!" when I was watching this two-parter. TPTB did a really good job with it.

My 100th post btw!
    "Are you like, a crazy person?"
    "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

I've watched this episode many times, as it's among my all-time favorites. However, there's one technical issue that really, really bugs me about the ending:

After the others have arrived at the SGC and are awaiting the arrival of Sam, Jacob & Martouf, the gate is still open with the iris closed and the female technician is in the control room waiting for the IDC signal. This is well before the three are even out of the Tok'ra tunnels. Yet, when the three get to the gate, it's not open, so they have to quickly dial out (before the Goa'uld do). But how would they get it to open to the Earth gate if the guys at SGC already have the gate open?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
        I've watched this episode many times, as it's among my all-time favorites. However, there's one technical issue that really, really bugs me about the ending:

After the others have arrived at the SGC and are awaiting the arrival of Sam, Jacob & Martouf, the gate is still open with the iris closed and the female technician is in the control room waiting for the IDC signal. This is well before the three are even out of the Tok'ra tunnels. Yet, when the three get to the gate, it's not open, so they have to quickly dial out (before the Goa'uld do). But how would they get it to open to the Earth gate if the guys at SGC already have the gate open?
        I wondered that myself.

Other than that I love this episode. Jacob gets saved!
        sigpic

Comment

1) i dont get the cordesh thing. was the symbiote the goa'uld spy, or was the host part of it too? and was he a tok'ra symbiote originally who got switched for a goa'uld? because he was in a position of power. and how exactly did he transfer hosts.
          2) the tok'ra appear arrogant because they -have- been at war with the goa'uld for ages and have experience. to them, the tauri are reckless upstarts. the entire race was almost exterminated so their wariness is to be expected. they haven't had much "progress" compared to others because of that setback and the fact that both the tau'ri and the jaffa have a technological and more importantly a great numerical advantage *allowing* them to engage in direct combat.
          R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by KayLyne View Post
            But how would they get it to open to the Earth gate if the guys at SGC already have the gate open?
            I was wondering that, too.. When we see them get out of the tunnels, run to the Stargate, I thought it's open.. and then well.. nothing! Did the SGC just give up?

Spoiler:
            Were the 38 minutes up?? Did it take THAT long?

Originally posted by asdf1239
            1) i dont get the cordesh thing. was the symbiote the goa'uld spy, or was the host part of it too? and was he a tok'ra symbiote originally who got switched for a goa'uld? because he was in a position of power. and how exactly did he transfer hosts.
            I didn't get that part either.. The guy that died in the tunnel couldn't have been without a symbiote, because then he'd be dead, right? It seems in the end the host is speaking. And he says he is not who they think he is and he couldn't do anything... So I guess the host wasn't really involved?! So the "evil" symbiote switched to the woman and the woman's symbiote is now in the guy?!

Very confusing.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              I didn't get that part either.. The guy that died in the tunnel couldn't have been without a symbiote, because then he'd be dead, right? It seems in the end the host is speaking. And he says he is not who they think he is and he couldn't do anything... So I guess the host wasn't really involved?! So the "evil" symbiote switched to the woman and the woman's symbiote is now in the guy?!

Very confusing.
              I was also quite confused, but as the host is speaking in the end I think he was supressed by the Goa'uld before and the host couldn't live with that later. That would only make the symbiote bad.. The part I didn't get is, why the symbiote didn't act earlier since it must have been there for quite a long time and even more how it could change hosts.. shouldn't everybody (except the SG-teams) in the tunnels already have one?
              Because I'm quite sure that no tok'ra would change hosts without a good reason.. and helping a Goa'uld isn't a good reason.. -.-
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, some confusing issues that others have already mentioned, other than that it was a very good episode. I was wondering, though, why they made Garshaw look so old, Sarah Douglas was only 45 or 46 when the ep was filmed, and she looked about 60!
                sigpic

Comment

My favorite part of this episode is when Jacob agrees to be a host, and the transfering from one host to the other begins. However, all of the second part of the story was excellent. It had plenty of action.
                  "I choose freedom." Teal'c Threshold
                  "To resist the influence of others, knowledge of one's self is most important." Teal'c Stronghold

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                    i love these two eps and have seen then a few times. i'm confused by this too.

my guess is:

the symbolite betrayed the tok'ra and somehow murdered the woman's symbolite. then forced her as a new host. the guy who says "i not who i seem" was the original host, who had no say in the betrayal.
                    sigpic

Comment

9/10

I still am disappointed in Amanda's acting. She seems to always act in the same manner. She couldn't even get herself to shed a tear during the obviously emotional scenes with her father.
                      Last edited by FrodoFraggins; 22 March 2011, 11:55 PM.
                      Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                        the symbolite betrayed the tok'ra and somehow murdered the woman's symbolite. then forced her as a new host. the guy who says "i'm not who i seem" was the original host, who had no say in the betrayal.
                        That's what I guessed as well. Though I wish it was explained better.

I started wondering in this episode, how big are the fleets of the System Lords?

Comment

Watching this episode with the gift of knowing the rest of the series, I am amazed at how much over-explanation there is in the dialogue here. One time, I could understand, but there are a few instances here where the same information is repeated between characters again and again. The worst culprit is Jacob, who can't seem to understand the basic concepts of what is happening. He asks questions which we have already been given the answer to multiple times.

It happens again after Jacob is blended, and the discussion turns to what they will do if they are captured by the Goa'uld. Martouf says he will let the caves consume him if it comes to that. After some more dicussion, he says the same thing again but this time with Carter alongside him. Once they are back at the SGC, Garshaw explain AGAIN that they instead of being captured, they will die in the caves. TOO MUCH!

Anyway, this is much more enjoyable than part 1. It gave me a huge sense of relief to finally let Jacob in on the secret of the Stargate, and I love the fact that he becomes a Tok'ra and we will get to see a lot more of him. Much like the first part, this episode is again made up of discussion rather than action. We are just given the sense of disguised action more than anything, with people running around during the evacuation and letting us know there isn't much time. We don't even see any Goa'uld, just the ships and gliders. It's a sneaky tactic, but works. I felt this to be a more exciting episode than the first part, but there's a part of me that feels let down. Taking both parts together, and it moves slooooowly.

- For good guys, the Tok'ra are kind of arseholes. That's part of makes them an interesting addition to the show, but it annoyed me. When SG-1 needed to go back home, the Tok'ra would not let them leave. When they were at the SGC and General Hammond said he'd like them to stay and debrief, they just say "no we've got more important things to do, bye!" and we humans get no say in the matter! Hmm.

RATING: 7.5 out of 10
                          Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 14 September 2011, 11:57 AM.
                          Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by SnowWhite View Post
                            I was also quite confused, but as the host is speaking in the end I think he was supressed by the Goa'uld before and the host couldn't live with that later. That would only make the symbiote bad.. The part I didn't get is, why the symbiote didn't act earlier since it must have been there for quite a long time and even more how it could change hosts.. shouldn't everybody (except the SG-teams) in the tunnels already have one?
                            Because I'm quite sure that no tok'ra would change hosts without a good reason.. and helping a Goa'uld isn't a good reason.. -.-
                            The man that Kordesh, the Tok'ra symbiote, was inhabiting felt guilty for his symbiote's actions because he was unable to stop Kordesh fro betraying the Tok'ra. That is why he went into the collapsing tunnel to commit suicide. At first I thought the Goa'uld had replaced Kordesh with a Goa'uld (bad) symbiote but during the show it is made apparent that Kordesh simply switched allegiances. To get into the woman councilor that he(Kordesh) is discovered in at the end of the episode, presumably while Kordesh was in the male hosts body he killed the new, female host's symbiote somehow and then left the male for the female after which the man went on to kill himself in that hallway that the leader of the Tok'ra and Jack find him in.

Kordesh probably chose to tell the Goa'uld the Tok'ra's location when SG-1 arrived so that the suspicion could be thrown on them for the attack. Also the Tok'ra were distacted by SG-1's arrival so that gave him an opportunity to reveal the Tok'ra's location without being found out as it might have been difficult to hide such activities when there are no doors.

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                              Great stuff. Love the convo with Jacob and Saroosh/Selmak
                              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Holy Hanna!!! Pretty good episode.

Jacob is now a Tok'ra, he'll return in Episode 20.

Next week, we'll hit "The Fifth Race" on Wednesday.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X