No announcement yet.

Secrets (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hadn't thought of that, but eye makeup could be made to serve the same purpose as the streaks NFL linebackers put under their eyes--cuts down on the glare. Which, in the desert, is no small consideration. And as someone who has constant problems with chapped lips, I understand the strategic use of lipstick.
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Olive Oil got used for all sorts of things back then. They used it as a moisturiser and after-sun lotion too. The Romans used it as a primitive form of soap (and its a safe bet the Egyptians did, too). Hey, they even cooked with it!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum
        Apart from putting a bit of colour on the face, it also protected delicate skin from the sun - hence the thick eye makeup (if you're going to spread gunk on your face, you might as well make it look tidy!). I don't imagine the Egyptians back then were any more welcoming of crow's feet than we are today. I know I'm not welcoming mine. Bah, being an Unas, they're more like trenches than crows feet...

Mind you, given its practical purpose, pretty much everyone wore it - even if it was just a mixture of dark ash and olive-oil. To all intents and purposes, it's probable that all the Abydonian women would have had some form of makeup, even if it was just the basic mixes. Ammonet, naturally, would have had much more spectacular stuff (as we saw when she rejoined Apophis at the end).
        And remember... we the viewers are supposed to ignore all the makeup & lipstick and eyeliner used to when their intent is to make the actor character look 'natural.' Even when you are questioning what's she doing with lipstick on... (Or Teal'c with all the eyeshadow and eyeliner! ) (Or even Sam out in the middle of a firefight with lipstick perfectly reapplied.... )
        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sha're
          I'll agree and say that this episode is another of my favourites from this season.
          MS does a great job, and really conveys his love for Sha're. And I think as well that Apophis proves his love for Amonet where he touches her cheek as she asks for forgiveness - I still say he's a great baddie.
          I liked Jack's reaction to Hammond when the reporter was killed - not directly questioning but unbelieving just the same.
          And Jacob Carter - I'll just agree and say thank goodness for Selmak.
          Yep! Apophis (and later Ba’al)... Two baddies you luv to hate….
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
            Yeah. And while he is now one of my favorite characters, you can't deny that he's a huge SOB in this episode. A real jerk. Ah, well, Selmak was a good influence.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I like the Tok'ra; Jacob is a much nicer guy after he's blended.
            Yes, back then Jacob was quite the hard-nosed, hard-lined military man use to getting things done the way he wanted them. (I remember a later ep where Jacob was talking to Jack about being right and Sam says “Welcome to my world…”) It brought to light that at this point in the series Jacob hadn’t really talked to her in a while and still thought of her as a young child who needed direction and assistance. He was bringing up her childhood ambitions (and maybe that of his own…being of an age when he himself couldn’t have gone into the space program himself) and he assumed that was still what she wanted. Sam for her part was still unwilling to butt heads with him.

I really liked the whole Sam/Jack meeting Dad scene. Jack was comfortable enough to call her “Sam” instead of by her rank or last name. Though she still persisted in the ‘sir’ bit. *laughs* And Jack calling Hammond ‘a player.’

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar
              It brought to light that at this point in the series Jacob hadn’t really talked to her in a while and still thought of her as a young child who needed direction and assistance.
              That 'little girl who needs guidance' view does rather seem to be a bit of a 'dad' thing, doesn't it?

Mind you, given that he's so 'out of the loop' on Sam's aspirations and ambitions, I suppose it was inevitable that he'd try to give her one last big gift (in his mind) of granting her what he still thought was her 'dream'. He doesn't know that she's found something else that she's settled with (even if it's only Deep Space Telemetry - or so he thinks!).

There's probably elements of certain events in the past that have brought this about - but we don't know about them yet, so there were times in this ep where I really wanted to bop Jacob for being so stroppy with Sam! I'm not sure how I'd react if someone offered me something amazing, but nowhere near as amazing as what I've already got (but can't tell anyone about); particularly as he more or less cornered her with it. I don't imagine I'd be able to explain myself any better than Sam could...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWarrior
                One thing that I thought of last night after watching it was what did Her-ur do after SG-1 left.

Did Her-ur just leave or did he ring more Jaffa down after to see if SG-1 were still there or if Apophis had come through the gate?

When Teal'c said to Her-ur "Serpent Guards of Apophis have taken the child my Lord", didn't Her-ur wonder how they got there before him (ship possible but his mothership would have detected them) and then when the gate dialled up Her-ur said "Apophis comes stand ready". But why would Apophis come through the gate if the child was taken as the Serpent Guards would have taken Amounent as well!

One thing that I thought about was - we know when a Goa'uld is killed another takes their place and their planets, so after Ra was killed why didn't Her-ur claim Abydos as his planet, as he was next in line for it. Thats why I thought what did Her-ur do after SG-1 left - he could have claimed that planet as his own!

Apophis could of come earlier to claim his child and then left. As for the Stargate, Her-ur knew it wasn't his troops so automatically it was enemies. Not necesarily Apophis but he could have come back for something, you never know.

Also did Sha're's dad un bury the gate early? Because he said she had been there for a season. If Apophis brought Sha're by ship then her dad would of known she wasn't herself. So how did Sha're get back?

Comment

Teal'c tells Heru-ur that the 'Stargate' is activating, not the chapa'ai'. Isn't that a give away to Heru-ur that something is wrong?

Wasn't Teal'c shot? Why is he walking around like he wasn't at the end?

Sg-1 could have taken Apophis, he only had seven Jaffa. Come on.
                  Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

Thank Gwad, for Sky One and their repeats/re-runs of pervious seasons.

I'd never seen this episode before until this year! Yes, yes, I know.

This was such a heartbreaking episode...I really felt for Daniel! Sha're...why?! lol

Daniel truly has a heart of gold that's all I can say.

British-Indian and proud.

Comment

Originally posted by hollyshannensangel
                      This was such a heartbreaking episode...I really felt for Daniel! Sha're...why?! lol
                      I think we all did! What a dilemma for him. After all that time apart, he finds his wife back again, but preggers by Apophis - even though she didn't actually have any say in the matter. It must have been so hard for him - and for her, come to that.

Poor Sha're free from the control of her symbiote, but only for the length of her pregnancy. No wonder she didn't want to have the baby. *sniff*!
                      sigpic

Comment

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this episode!!!! (coz its got Heru'urs init )

Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Comment

Originally posted by Heru'urs_first_prime
                          I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this episode!!!! (coz its got Heru'urs init )
                          And the funky gold armour, too.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum
                            And the funky gold armour, too.
                            that was the best!....(ive only seen heru'ur and Apophis wear gold before as an armour)

Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Comment

Hathor wore gold, too...although it certainly wasn't armour by any stretch of the imagination...

Comment

True. Not sure I'd want to see a bloke dressed like that though...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X