No announcement yet.

Prisoners (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: since SG1 was put through the gate onto the prison planet, how did they obtain the 7th symbol (point of origin) for dialing since presumably, they didn't know where they were?

Comment

They probabily chose the symbol for the one they did not recognise... that is usually the POO..

Comment

I loved how General Hammond acted when he talked with the people who made SG-1 their prisoners. Very funny, defiant, very enjoyable. And the little exhale/inhale thing about stepping through the gate is a cute piece of Stargate knowledge.

Comment

I wouldn't last long in space prison.

Rating: 6/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...prisoners.html
          My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
          http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have to wonder why the man running was wearing clothes that looked extremely primitive, with absolutely no sign of synthetic or manufacture fabrics. If the Taldur are advanced enough to use that beaming technology or however they were transferring people into that dark room. Than why weren't they advanced enough to keep their citizens in good clothes and a healthy state.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
              I have to wonder why the man running was wearing clothes that looked extremely primitive, with absolutely no sign of synthetic or manufacture fabrics. If the Taldur are advanced enough to use that beaming technology or however they were transferring people into that dark room. Than why weren't they advanced enough to keep their citizens in good clothes and a healthy state.
              We don't know what the Taldor looked like. It's not unheard of for the ruling class to have one standard of living, while keeping the lower classes firmly in their place. On the other hand, it's possible that the Taldor just don't see synthetics as desirable. Maybe they're big on keeping their environmental footprint as small as possible. From my own experience, using synthetic materials doesn't equal "good clothes"--I've had better luck with natural fibers. I don't know that we can really draw any conclusions based on what one person was wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by kimberlyrose View Post
                We don't know what the Taldor looked like. It's not unheard of for the ruling class to have one standard of living, while keeping the lower classes firmly in their place. On the other hand, it's possible that the Taldor just don't see synthetics as desirable. Maybe they're big on keeping their environmental footprint as small as possible. From my own experience, using synthetic materials doesn't equal "good clothes"--I've had better luck with natural fibers. I don't know that we can really draw any conclusions based on what one person was wearing.
                I don't think a person covered in mud running through the woods in tattered clothes is a byproduct of a nature friendly government. If they do have a monarch like system, which leaves the masses in poverty than they could never reach that level of technology. It requires strategic division of labor, advanced farming techniques, and a solid economy. All of which would result in a much more healthy lifestyle for their people. We also see a second man come through the portal blind, dirty, and in tattered clothes. Which, would suggest that their entire society is plagued by this kind of life. No community of that kind could be a threat to the United States government as Stan Kovacek said they were.
                sigpic

Comment

I don't think a person covered in mud running through the woods in tattered clothes is a byproduct of a nature friendly government. If they do have a monarch like system, which leaves the masses in poverty than they could never reach that level of technology. It requires strategic division of labor, advanced farming techniques, and a solid economy. All of which would result in a much more healthy lifestyle for their people. We also see a second man come through the portal blind, dirty, and in tattered clothes. Which, would suggest that their entire society is plagued by this kind of life. No community of that kind could be a threat to the United States government as Stan Kovacek said they were.
                  I have to say that running through the woods is a good way to get tattered and muddy, no matter how you start out. I'm still not sure that I'd accept a lack of synthetics=lack of advancement. I'd completely forgotten about the second man, though. Too bad we don't see anyone who isn't a prisoner. I think we're probably seeing more of how the Taldor treats their prisoners than how the populace in general live.

Just by arriving on the planet, the SG teams learned that the Taldor could transport them from one point to another, removing their weapons at the same time. That's so far beyond Earth technology that no matter how the prisoners were dressed (and we don't know what SG-9 saw when they were there), it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the Taldor's technology/ability to defend themselves would surpass the SGC's capabilities.

Comment

I have to say that running through the woods is a good way to get tattered and muddy, no matter how you start out. I'm still not sure that I'd accept a lack of synthetics=lack of advancement. I'd completely forgotten about the second man, though. Too bad we don't see anyone who isn't a prisoner. I think we're probably seeing more of how the Taldor treats their prisoners than how the populace in general live.

Just by arriving on the planet, the SG teams learned that the Taldor could transport them from one point to another, removing their weapons at the same time. That's so far beyond Earth technology that no matter how the prisoners were dressed (and we don't know what SG-9 saw when they were there), it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the Taldor's technology/ability to defend themselves would surpass the SGC's capabilities.
                    I'm not saying that they weren't a threat, I'm simply pointing out a plot hole. That hole being the fact that the Taldor are so advanced that they can transport and disarm people in the blink of an eye. However they leave the Stargate in the middle of nowhere, their citizens are completely engulfed in poverty, and they have no interest in studying the Stargate and where else it can go. None of it makes sense. I would put forward that the Taldor aren't even human, they seem as if they are ruling over humans like the Goa'uld.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not saying that they weren't a threat, I'm simply pointing out a plot hole.
                      Fair 'nough.

their citizens are completely engulfed in poverty,
                      Do we know that? Hope that doesn't sound like I'm arguing, I haven't seen it recently enough to remember if any comments are made about the people living in poverty. We've only seen prisoners, not the general populace. I'd agree that poverty exists, and it could well be widespread, but we haven't seen enough to say that there are the Taldor/well off and the populace/poor.

and they have no interest in studying the Stargate and where else it can go.
                      Could also be that they've studied it and they know what they need to know. The Taldor send their prisoners to a planet with no DHD. That can't be a coincidence. I'd guess that they explored, found a planet with a gate that didn't have a DHD, worked out how to get home, and made this planet into a prison. It could even be that they either removed the DHD or moved the Stargate into... wherever they are. A cavern with no way out? (Gah, that makes me claustrophobic just to think about it!) Their use of the Stargate in this way actually seems like further evidence of their advancement.

I would put forward that the Taldor aren't even human, they seem as if they are ruling over humans like the Goa'uld.
                      No argument there. Although the not showing their faces bit seems a little "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" to me.

Enjoying the conversation, by the way.
                      Last edited by kimberlyrose; 27 June 2008, 08:00 PM. Reason: edited to fix a tag

Comment

Fair 'nough.

Do we know that? Hope that doesn't sound like I'm arguing, I haven't seen it recently enough to remember if any comments are made about the people living in poverty. We've only seen prisoners, not the general populace. I'd agree that poverty exists, and it could well be widespread, but we haven't seen enough to say that there are the Taldor/well off and the populace/poor.

Could also be that they've studied it and they know what they need to know. The Taldor send their prisoners to a planet with no DHD. That can't be a coincidence. I'd guess that they explored, found a planet with a gate that didn't have a DHD, worked out how to get home, and made this planet into a prison. It could even be that they either removed the DHD or moved the Stargate into... wherever they are. A cavern with no way out? (Gah, that makes me claustrophobic just to think about it!) Their use of the Stargate in this way actually seems like further evidence of their advancement.

No argument there. Although the not showing their faces bit seems a little "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" to me.

Enjoying the conversation, by the way.
                        The fact that anybody in their society wears clothes like that means that the majority of the population wear clothes rather close to those of the two prisoners we saw being put into Hadante. Linea mentions how the Taldor have been unable to find any other Stargate's. The only reason the SGC found out about different locations was because we found the Abydos Cartouche. However I have to ask why the Taldor would leave the Stagate out in the middle of nowhere. I realize they don't use it very much, but you would think they would put it in some kind of facility.

I don't mean to sound repetitive, but it just doesn't make sense.
                        sigpic

Comment

The fact that anybody in their society wears clothes like that means that the majority of the population wear clothes rather close to those of the two prisoners we saw being put into Hadante. Linea mentions how the Taldor have been unable to find any other Stargate's. The only reason the SGC found out about different locations was because we found the Abydos Cartouche. However I have to ask why the Taldor would leave the Stagate out in the middle of nowhere. I realize they don't use it very much, but you would think they would put it in some kind of facility.

I don't mean to sound repetitive, but it just doesn't make sense.
                          You're not being repetitive, it's been a little while since I've seen it, so some of these things (like the Taldor not having found other Stargates) had slipped my mind. I'd suggest that the Stargate is in the middle of nowhere so that if anyone did come through, guns blazing, they wouldn't have as much opportunity to do damage as if it were in the middle of town. Even if they were being transported more or less on arrival, it's still less risky to have it away from the built up areas.

I still don't think that the appearance of two prisoners means all that much--it's two people out of an entire civilization. It's like taking a bus into a city, getting off and seeing a couple of homeless people, and assuming everyone lives like that. We're just not given enough information. I don't think this is something we're going to agree on, though. Just trying to clarify my viewpoint.

As for the rest--yeah, plot holes. This exchanges made me aware of a few others, actually. This may just be one of those "don't think about it too hard" episodes.

Comment

You're not being repetitive, it's been a little while since I've seen it, so some of these things (like the Taldor not having found other Stargates) had slipped my mind. I'd suggest that the Stargate is in the middle of nowhere so that if anyone did come through, guns blazing, they wouldn't have as much opportunity to do damage as if it were in the middle of town. Even if they were being transported more or less on arrival, it's still less risky to have it away from the built up areas.

I still don't think that the appearance of two prisoners means all that much--it's two people out of an entire civilization. It's like taking a bus into a city, getting off and seeing a couple of homeless people, and assuming everyone lives like that. We're just not given enough information. I don't think this is something we're going to agree on, though. Just trying to clarify my viewpoint.

As for the rest--yeah, plot holes. This exchanges made me aware of a few others, actually. This may just be one of those "don't think about it too hard" episodes.
                            I understand keeping the gate away from the population, just like we do on earth. However we don't keep it in the middle of nowhere, so I came up with a theory. The Taldor have the ability to transport people and disarm them once they become a threat. Perhaps the Taldor put the Stargate in the middle of nowhere so that when explorers come through they will just go back and think that there is nothing of use on the planet. However, if they are smart enough to rig something like that, they wouldn't have such a messed up society.

When you look at a homeless person, what are they wearing and what do they look like? They typically have long unkempt hair as well as facial hair. Their clothes are old jackets, dirty jeans, and in general clothes that show signs that they were manufactured not hand made. The two men had stubble, but not beards and their hair was short. Suggesting they were a part of the community. Their clothes look as if they are hand made, like they are part of a pre-industrial society.
                            sigpic

Comment

I am somewhat disappointed with SG1 in this ep. One blunder after another. What is this habit of bringing along strangers with them through the stargate? Sometimes, SG1 is a bit too friendly and trusting.

SGC needs to improve their security. Call Macgyver!

Questions:
                              - Did the SGC already have diplomatic relations with the Taldor? Or did this only start when SG1 was sent to prison?

- what happened to Davis, the Chevron guy?

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post
                                I am somewhat disappointed with SG1 in this ep. One blunder after another. What is this habit of bringing along strangers with them through the stargate? Sometimes, SG1 is a bit too friendly and trusting.

SGC needs to improve their security. Call Macgyver!

Questions:
                                - Did the SGC already have diplomatic relations with the Taldor? Or did this only start when SG1 was sent to prison?

- what happened to Davis, the Chevron guy?
                                They brought Linea to Earth because she was the only reason they were bale to escape. I do not blame them for bringing her home, but they should have searched her for potential weapons. This was the first mission in which an SG team traveled to the world of the Taldor. The character of Walter Davis was changed into that of Walter Harriman.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X