In the Line of Duty (202)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shipper hannah
    in which case, why bother with the cards in the first place?
    They've probably got a strong union.
    sigpic

Comment

Claira has a slightly magnificent fic written for this episode:72 000. It's a detailing of Sam's recovery over 50 days. I've given up trying to write for 'Line of Duty' because of it--I can't match it.

Comment

Originally posted by zats
        Claira has a slightly magnificent fic written for this episode:72 000. It's a detailing of Sam's recovery over 50 days. I've given up trying to write for 'Line of Duty' because of it--I can't match it.
        I agree. A terrific must read.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I liked this episode: shame that jolinar died, although its a good thing because then they would have met the Tok'ra right?

Heru'ur is a God, he will rise and take revenge

Comment

I guess this is perhaps a stock definition of the cliché 'Blessing in Disguise'.

Not that it was much fun for Sam at the time, of course.
            sigpic

Comment

*sniff* that was too much for Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by zats

I've just been and read it.

Wow.

Awesome.

Thanks for posting the link.
                sigpic

Comment

yeah, thanks Zats

Comment

What can I say about In the Line of Duty?

It was my first exposure to Stargate SG-1...already in syndication.

I loved the idea of Jolinar and wish it had been a 2 or 3 story arc...that might have been cool.

All I can think of is of all the eps to start with, THIS was by far the most fortuitous because most episodes mention either Jolinar specifically or the Tok'ra generally.

Amanda was just brilliant...I FEEL that beam ripping my skull open everytime I see it.

Just one of THE BEST SG eps ever.

I give it 5 zats out of 5.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

This ep is also one of my faves. One of the parts I find the most poignant is when Cassie comforts Sam at the end. Also, the look on Sam's face is one we don't see often - wow.

I don't think it ever really bothered me too much that Jolinar went into Sam without permission. It's not typically the Tok'ra way, but it was the only way Jolinar saw to survive. Also, about the mouth-to-mouth, I don't think Tok'ra HAVE to enter in the mouth, Martouf says they choose to do it that way. If Sam hadn't been giving the mouth to mouth but had simply been leaning over to check vitals, Jolinar maybe could have kinda jumped over like with what happened to Kawalski.

I also really enjoy Jolinar's Memories and The Devil YOu Know. All around a terrific story arc in my opinion.
                      If you immediately know the ep stinks, the writers were cooked a long time ago

Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild
                      proud Shore Leave 28 Attendee
                      Naughty Shore Leave 29 Attendee (sorry all but thanks for the rescue. many many thanks)

Carmen Argenziano Appreciation

Comment

Admittedly, the real surprise about it comes later on. The Tok'ra philosophy is that no Tok'ra will ever take an unwilling host. They will even die before taking such an extreme measure. That is made abundantly clear by pretty much every Tok'ra they encounter during that first formal contact period. I think a lot of the shock factor comes along in hindsight - after we've met the Tok'ra and heard their views on the Symbiote/Host relationship.

Given that a Tok'ra is meant to choose to die rather than forcibly subjugate a host, why does Jolinar just 'leap' into Sam like that? Okay, there's an element of atonement for it in the end after the Ashrak attack - but nonetheless, Jolinar has (no matter what light you shine on his/her motives) taken a host by force. Something which we later learn is utterly contradictory to the whole ethos of the Tok'ra.

I still reckon the 'misinterpretation-in-the-heat-of-the-moment' theory that Beatrice proposed earlier in the thread is a good argument for the defence here. Given that mouth to mouth is more or less the Tok'ra standard mode of transfer between hosts, it's quite conceivable that Jolinar (whether through genuine misinterpretation or extremely wishful thinking) assumed that Sam was offering her a survival route - and simply took it.

But, no matter what Jolinar's motives, it's still a deeply traumatic episode for Sam and AT handles it brilliantly.
                        sigpic

Comment

1 of my favourites indeed!
                          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Cool episode! I really like Jolinar, and the Tok'ra in general for that matter! Poor Sam though....

Comment

Same here, AT acted brilliantly in this episode anyone agree

Comment

Completely. She was fab in this ep.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X