Unending (1020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
    If we don't learn the Asgard ascended or did something else cool to survive, heads will roll.
    If any race of beings deserved to be ascended its the Asgard. Hopefully this will be revealed in the upcoming direct-to-DVD releases.
    Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

What do I think about the final episode?

Bleh. But SG-1 essentially ended after season 8 for me anyway.

Teal'c! What a sacrifice for him. That was the only thing emotional about this episode.

Originally posted by suse View Post
      A bit of irony. They've spent years building up a space fleet and ignoring the gate more and more. What does Mitchell say at the end? "This is the way to travel." No kidding.
      Yeah. So why the bleep did the writers waste time with those lousy ships? Space battles on SG-1 were never impressive, boring in fact. So they toss in some snide little remark at the end that gate travel is the only way to go.

The last scene with them going through the gate was nice but that comment was because tptb had essentially done away with the center piece of the show.

I'm not even really sad that SG-1 is officially over (except for the movies of course) and that's really sad that I've become that apathetic about a show that I once enjoyed and appreciated.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior3535 View Post
        I think its fine that they didnt mention Jack.
        And there's no need to because we will definitely see him again in Stargate: Continuum.

I thought that Daniel's rant at Vala was a bit uncharecteristic of him - he is usually level headed, yet it had exactly the desired dramatic impact...
        That was my first impression too but I personally think Vala made Daniel a little too kooky, which would probably explain his uncharacteristic outburst.

The loss of the Asgard was a seal on the end of an era. What started with the Fifth Race, ended here, with humans assuming their place in a new universe.
        Indeed, but I don't recall seeing the Asgard's destruction in the final episode. It's possible that I missed that scene. When does this occur in the episode?
        Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by brulz View Post
          They went a bit extreme with Daniel being a big insensitive jerk. Didn't really fit his character.

Originally posted by Royalflush View Post
          Same with Daniel's yelling at Vala. It felt quite out of character.
          This is more of a generalized *social* observation, than anything else...
          Since I don't know who saw what or when, this is sheer speculation-- that such type of comments imply that either a few eps were missed pertinent to that whole, entire build-up; or else not much paying attention was given to the emotional build-up over all of the episodes over 2 entire seasons; or there's a possible lack of understanding in how human emotions *really* work when rubbed against each other the *wrong* way for eons of time.

Some people are more patient than others. Daniel was far too patient since day one of Season 9, with Vala. From his
          Spoiler:
          tossing of a pillow at her in the SG medical facility, and everything else, until he watched her burn (eps past) - where he finally felt a moment of true compassion for her, even tho everything within him said previously, that she didn't deserve it. He knew the difference, between her teasing prior and the reality of her fear in that moment.

There's been a fuse, an emotional explosion, that's been waiting to happen from day one, or day two - the day Vala joined herself to Daniel, because she tricked him. I think what was shown in this "season/series finale" scene was another such moment similar to the scene mentioned within the spoiler tags that I noted above. My gut feeling says so (and so does my "woman's intuition").

Originally posted by brulz View Post
          They went a bit extreme with Daniel being a big insensitive jerk. Didn't really fit his character.

Why was Vala crying? I kinda thought she must have lost a baby or something.
          Vala realized in that moment (this episode) that all the times previous that she's manipulated Daniel into doing something *FOR* her, he's finally had it over his head with her antics and wasn't going to tolerate it any more. Vala was doing what any normal female would reactionally - knowing that she's just pushed Daniel over the edge wayyyyyyy too many times, and now that she wants to be comforted because they all believed they were all destined to die, she lost that moment of trust and comfort from Daniel.

To me, Daniel was just being totally honest with her - and spit out all of his emotions that had been building up since Season 9 began. That's why there our own world probably doesn't understand each other... because they're not recognizing those other sparks that ignite situations further down the road.

The above also applies to the below..
          Originally posted by angelfire east View Post
          I thought Daniel was really mean to Vala when he yelled at her and it seemed a little OOC to me. I can see why many people had a problem with it. I am glad they where happy together togehter for all those years after the way he treated her.

Originally posted by suse View Post
          Speaking of... What was it with OOT OOC Daniel? And then he kisses her? She shoulda kicked his butt a la PU for that little 'speech'. No way. I didn't mind them gettig together. <shrug> It's an AU anyway.
          I'm not up to par on these title codes, so I have no idea which eps or what OOT and OOC translate as. However, as for Vala not reacting to Daniel's outburst rant by smacking Daniel when he finally started to listen to her sniffles - her turning away from him was enough to get the message thru to him that her tears were real, and not another ploy at manipulating him. Like many people who don't think before they leap, she obviously didn't consider Daniel ever turning her away at some point in her life. He always kept glutting for more punishment, every single time he forgave her. But how many times is enough before a person blows their stack? 50 times? a thousand? a million??

Some people loathe it when they are manipulated by tears. They've been conned in reality from whining done by other people / persons so many times, that the tears become meaningless; and when the tears are finally genuine, it's a hard call on discerning that moment as *genuine* emotion, and not another moment of sheer manipulation. There's a difference. Some people in our real world don't know that difference for that *VERY* reason.

anyway...
          Daniel was always getting smacked from Vala emotionally every time he gave in to her little "begging" instigations. Well, also, considering that this was supposed to potentially end up being Stargate's last SG-1 episode, ever (potentially), there wouldn't be a next time to tell Vala off.. or shoot off all the steam that's been building up all those months (and it actually goes back to Season 8, when she manipulated Daniel during their first encounter, too!).

She *never* quit manipulating...! Manipulating was Vala's life - that's all she ever knew how to do, because her daddy taught her - and she realized it with him.. so now, she's learned Daniel's fed up with her as much as she was with her own father and her actions have sort of come full circle, so to speak (back to bite her, and during a moment when she'd be most vulnerable and least wanted it to hurt or sting).

oh sure, sometimes she might back off, but Vala was ALWAYS back to see how much more "wool" she could pull over Daniel's eyes and heart; and that of anyone else she could try the same tactics on, as well. Others around her didn't tolerate her antics as much as Daniel did. IMHO, his reactions were well within the norms of his character's personality... altho possibly wayyyyyyyyy overdue, too more than what most people would tolerate from another human being manipulating their heart's strings...

Hope that made sense. Based on everyone's comments in other episode topics, as well (from the ones who complained about the entire Vala/Daniel disputes, forgiveness routines, etc. from the beginning), if the writers were intending to help the audience examine our own hearts (socially speaking as a world full of misunderstandings from sheer emotions, etc.) on a whole deeper level, I think that opens up a whole new subject just from these 2 SG-1 seasons (via thru the whole Vala / Daniel relationship).

BTW, I forgot to mention about the AU - it was in a sense, but not completely (maybe an alternate reality with an exception is a better way to describe what happened). Everything that actually happened wouldn't be remembered, unless Teal'c breaks his silence
          ("silence is golden"), and that's only if the others told him everything he wasn't in the same rooms with them, when such moments did occur.
          Last edited by SGalisa; 23 June 2007, 09:56 AM.

Comment

seeing as im like 150 posts behind this may be a repeat but... i liekd it but a few of the things were horrible.... tealc basically recieved a prison sentence... 50 yrs in a jail and he cant tell anyone abt it! wow sooo unfair for such a loyal person... maybe mckay/carter can find soemthing on atlantis to fix him... or get a wraith to give him back some years.... the person that shoulda been in that field was the child that vala/daniel never had... as he/she woulda been erased from existence and tealc would be spared a good chunk of his life....... thanks for spending 0.2 seconds on killing the most helpful and fan favorite race in the sg1 universe... 0 btw we kinda happen to give up only 10 yrs after meeting you even though we've been around for 10,000 yrs and g-luck with those ori things- later!.. i mean that coulda been soo much better. and there is that ascension machine in atlantis that they coulda thrown an asguard in to experiment with (probably loki)... and yeah was it only the asguard on the planet that just suddenly exploaded w/o much warning or time to escape seeing as how large chunks of aurilla coulda easily taken out the odyssey......is herimoid still alive in pegasus?.... and how did they stop the ori from tracking them (maybe i just need to rewatch it)....
            i just didnt get why they couldnt raise and make super-sheilds in the 50 yrs so that they could come outta the field and be fine as the beam just deflected off of them....

-long but can some1 please answer these?
            ..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

What?.. Its a ship that goes through the gate.

...Or it could mean a piece of our leg...

In the middle of my backswing!?

That function is not possible

However, I must admit that I am partial to the tater tots.

Comment

tealc looks younger than bratac bc he was always in better shape and well he ended up leading a muchhh less stressful life- chillin on a ship for 50 yrs... he hasnt even been in a real fight in 50 yrs except for practices with mitchel which prolly ended 20+ yrs ago.... poor T

daniel yelled at vala bc he was starting go a lil "wacko" and well common he always did love vala and he didnt think it went both ways... to be trapped on a ship where it woulda been that kind of a relationship for at what point only seemed like it woulda been for a while, woulda been hard for him....

and i kinda thought sam and maybe tealc may have ended up together at the end (as their doubles did in season 4's double jepordy)... but that woulda made things awkward for the movies...

-im kinda glad o'neill wasnt in this one... it wasnt the final adventure... it is really "unending"... he woulda been outta place on this mission slightly (as they didnt know the asguard were gonna load them up b4hand) and hes in the movies so its fine in the end..
              ..not even moros/meirden/merlin nor the rest of the ancients, could find a cure... for male pattern baldness!

Comment

I tivoed this ep so I think I must have gotten cut off at the credits. I expected a prolonged credit section just to give everyone their due. What did I miss???

Comment

What a great way to end such a great series. Perfect.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                    It was a fitting end to 10 wonderful years. I only wish Jack was there, especially at the last meeting with Thor. That would have made the moment Thor passed the mantle of responsibilty for the protection of life in the Galaxy to the Fifth Race perfect..
                    THat would have made for great symbology, especially since he was our first contact with them in person... And they said then we have made our first steps into becoming the fifth race..

Mitchell going a bit nuts made perfect sense as he had NOTHING to do.
                    That was nicely played out, even with the distruction of his room... Though i wonder if they will ever let him keep his new skills he must have learned, sparring with teal'c for 50 years...

I really liked the last scene in the gateroom, I felt that was a prefect last scene, I liked everyone saying 'indeed' all at once. I'm being nit pinky again but the only thing I didn't like was Landry telling the term "god speed", it way to much like something only Hammond said say like it's his catch phase. (like Jack & "for crying out loud")
                    IIRC he picked that phrase up and used it several other times.. though i would have liked to see them all assemble, with the other SG's for one final hurrah..

I'd imagine that Daniel and Vala agreed that it would not be right to bring children into that world, where they were doomed (at least that is what Daniel and Vala would have been thinking during their child-bearing years) to eventually die in the exploding ship. It would be no life for children and I think that was why Vala was crying, knowing she and Daniel wouldn't have the life nor the babies they deserved. And they would have been such wonderful parents too.
                    I was thinking that maybe they DID try for a kid, but for what ever reason she miscarried....

And if the Asgard can download their consciousness into ships why not just make android bodys. By definition the Asgard AREN'T living organisms anyway because they do not reproduce. I don't understand the obsession with being organic or bust. There was simply no reason to kill them off, especially so spontaneously and out of the blue... that was just wrong and pointless.
                    As was argued elsewhere, maybe they had no desire to live life in a machine.. I mean wouldyou want that 'life'??

It was decent and would have been an alright regular episode. They should have had 2 hours to flush it out more and brought in O'neil, Bratac, Hammond, and maybe some others into it
                    I agree with the series ending should have been a full on two hour episode... And i would have loved to see some cameos, from all our friends we have made.. Even if only in remenicing moments from the team..

1st: Why didn't Odyssey use it's cloak to avoid the Ori ships? Unless the Asgard technology's unique signature could be sensed through the cloak as well..
                    Who knows. Maybe their incorporating of their tech into our ship nerfed the cloak itself...

2nd: After activating the time dilation device, why not repair the shields and let the beam hit the shield....was the beam at too close a range for a full repaired shield to hold?
                    Actually i was wondering why they did not 'core the ship in the vicinity of where the beam would pass through, since they could have easily made an accurate calculation of where it would go through.

A bit of irony. They've spent years building up a space fleet and ignoring the gate more and more. What does Mitchell say at the end? "This is the way to travel."
                    Of all the cam quotes through this episide, that was my fave...

maybe the Ferlings will become the next super powerful foe we find in the Galaxy, how would that be for a twist
                    It would be a humdinger of a twist..

This could have been a great space battle between the Asgard and the Ori and would have made the episode much more memorable. (this episode should have probably been a two parter for this to happen).
                    Agreed. It would have imo been more fitting for their fleet to make a 'last stand so to speak' before blowing up the planet...

Much of the humor on the show left with Jack although Vala tries
                    I loved her scating through the corridors, and passing up mitchell.. that was a hooT!

It seems like a lot of people didn't get this. In that whole rant, the key phrase was "and all at my expense." The whole thing was defensive. He thought that Vala was teasing him the whole time as a joke at his expense. So naturally, he through he a hard ball. When he saw that he hurt her, he began to wonder "...wait a second here...". The line "You better not be messing with me." further established that.
                    Agreed. The way he warmed to her, after she honestly showed feelings (by crying at his push off) to me showed that he truely regretted going off on her..

1. The ships shields, when at full capacity, could withstand a couple of hits from the Ori weapons, could they not?

2. The ship, as we found later, was capable of fabricating anything the occupants could design (including a cello!)

Question: Why could they not fabricate whatever components were necessary to repair (even improve) the shields, drop the bubble, take the hit and blow the Ori out of existence?
                    Maybe she did think of that, but like the phasing out, it would have taken too long to bring the shields up, so the beam would have struck us anyway..

Comment

What I don't get is how they bought enough time to change anything. carter said the beam would hit the ship in 0.86 seconds once the dilation field was collapsed. That is not enough time for Teal'c to get to Carter's work station, give her the crystal, and tell her what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Katkin View Post
                        One thing though: they managed to use the Asgard thingummerbobber to manufacture food, water, a cello, bifocals for Carter. And no one thought to make some scissors materialize to spare us the wigs???????
                        My roommates and I were making similar observations I mean, their hair wasn't long enough to justify 50 years of growth so somebody must have gotten tired of it at one point and chopped it, but still...egad, cut your hair hippy!

As for the Daniel/Vala thing: I, too, thought his rant way too harsh and that he thoroughly emotionally ripped her. When I watched it for the first time I kept expecting that she'd whip out a fire extinguisher and do for him like she did at their first meeting

However, now having see it...um, multiple times (God, I'm a loser) I have to agree with those of you who believe his explosion to be overdue and completely defensive. I think that Vala's character approaches things with an air of whimsy so that if things go wrong she can just take a step back and say "Only joking".

Daniel, on the other hand, wears his heart on his sleeve and has learned to cover for that by going on the defensive. If someone, like Vala, were to approach him on what he felt were false or shallow pretenses he'd choose to protect himself by shoving them away.

If Vala had instead walked up to him and said "I love you" or something similar and could prove it to him then I think they would have hooked up LONG before this. That being said, I do think that Daniel has loved her since she was burned and he saw "her" for the first time and I think she loved him once she realized he would always watch her back.

*sighs* This next movie better make something good happen for them b/c I'm about to go "wonko"

Comment

Originally posted by captain Qball View Post
                          What I don't get is how they bought enough time to change anything. carter said the beam would hit the ship in 0.86 seconds once the dilation field was collapsed. That is not enough time for Teal'c to get to Carter's work station, give her the crystal, and tell her what to do with it.
                          They were able to rewind time to about a minute before the time dilation field went up.

Comment

As was argued elsewhere, maybe they had no desire to live life in a machine.. I mean wouldyou want that 'life'??

the asguard have been living like "that" for thousands of years, downloading their conciousness into new bodies etc..... i dont see why they would have a problem with a mechanical one.... they are also a less emotional race and think more logically and rigidly than we do... they shouldnt have had a problem with a kind of android body... but r.i.p. thor ..and r.i.p. my scooter which my friend accidentally crashed into a wall and totalled causing me to nearly miss sg1 (he was fine)

Comment

Originally posted by wiseowl777 View Post

the asguard have been living like "that" for thousands of years, downloading their conciousness into new bodies etc..... i dont see why they would have a problem with a mechanical one.... they are also a less emotional race and think more logically and rigidly than we do... they shouldnt have had a problem with a kind of android body... but r.i.p. thor ..and r.i.p. my scooter which my friend accidentally crashed into a wall and totalled causing me to nearly miss sg1 (he was fine)
                              lol. i think i began that arguement. lol.

GO ME!!!
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Thoughts on series finale...
                                Spoiler:

Smart move to age Teal'c. This leaves the door open for many years into the future for movies as of course the actor himself is going to age. Star Trek The Next Generation ran into somewhat of a similar issue with Data. Brent Spiner was aging and gaining weight / changing shape (happens to the best of us) but that wouldn't happen to an android.

Overall the past couple of seasons in general and the series finale in particular just seemed to run out of steam.

Missed an opportunity to have Thor request Jack's presence for the goodbye and technology handoff. Could have had Jack & Sam relationship played out in a way that would have been undone like Daniel & Vala with only Teal'c remembering about the alternate timeline.

Don't understand why the Bridges character came along for the ride. Again, Jack would have made more sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X