No announcement yet.

Bad Guys (1016)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, this episode left me so cold. I haven't seen Die Hard, or Airheads, or whatever movie they're "parodying" this week, but I felt like nearly all the humor misfired. I was there with them through the opening; I always like "it's really a museum"-type ideas. I thought the set looked nice, and even provided some really neat atmosphere, with Goa'uld masks and armour in the background of many shots. I even liked the aliens' uniforms (a little new BSG-ish almost?).

But do they have to go so broad with all the humor? And do the characters have to become so damned dumb to pull it off? I thought all the performances were fine; I think the actors gave them the tone that was intended. It just was too farcical for me.

I agree with the rest of your post, golfbooy, but especially:
    Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
    [...]
    Bad Guys was a missed opportunity. It wasn't a horrible premise, and if that's what Ben Browder contributed, then good for him. It could have made for an ok episode. But Martin Gero failed. Well, he not so much failed as much as he Atlantisized this one. What does that mean, you ask? Well, "Atlantisizing" an episode is my little pet term for how the writers on Atlantis seem to be unable to consistently write any conflict into an episode without lobotomizing the so-called "best and brightest" that Earth has to offer. So long as you can suspend your disbelief enough to buy that highly trained and experienced individuals can be so mind-numbingly stupid, then everything makes sense. If not, well, you know. "Atlantisizing" an episode also quite frequently involves excessively childish sight-gags and inane action sequences featuring "weapons at maximum" and long camera shots of our intrepid heroes running down corridors amidst a hail storm of bullets/ray gun blasts. Martin Gero has supplied all this for the benefit of us reluctant Atlantis viewers in his sole SG-1 offering this year. Thanks, Martin. Happy Valentine's Day to you, too. Couple this cracker of a script with Peter DeLuise's newfound inability to imbue an episode with anything remotely resembling either that "Stargate" feeling or seriousness, and toss in the fact that there seems to be no on-set producer to oversee the most basic quality control, and you've pretty much got yourself a recipe for turning out the same dreck that we saw in much of season nine that cost the show so many viewers.
    [...]
    What's really strange to me is that a lot of SGA's worst episodes (this season especially) have felt like they've been run through an awful filter to make them sound like bad farces of SG-1. Bad Guys felt like one of those episodes vomited back up on SG-1.

I would like an orange-tan Daniel icon though.

Comment

This episode was even more funny then bounty and this time the being actually made sense instead of being dropped into what seemed the middle of the plot not the start.

All the moments with Daniel were funny, the catfight was really funny, and Vala with her 'expert' thieving skills and also her inablity to turn off the bomb...

Also did anybody catch the reference to 2.03 'Prisoners' where Carter and the crazy lady used the 'seaweed' to charge the gate?

Comment

Originally posted by Lightbane View Post
        This episode was even more funny then bounty and this time the being actually made sense instead of being dropped into what seemed the middle of the plot not the start.

All the moments with Daniel were funny, the catfight was really funny, and Vala with her 'expert' thieving skills and also her inablity to turn off the bomb...

Also did anybody catch the reference to 2.03 'Prisoners' where Carter and the crazy lady used the 'seaweed' to charge the gate?
        I really enjoyed this episode. It had a good story to it IMO, and was funny as hell. There were moments, especially the scene with Daniel yelling at those two women, that had me practically rolling on the floor laughing.

Teal'c is quite the movie buff, isn't he?

I caught the reference to Season 3's "Prisoners" as well. They've been great at referencing previous seasons' events recently.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

After reading all the reviews I thought I wasn't going to enjoy this episode. However I thought it was really good... a very good story. It harkened back to the old days of simple stand-alone episodes where SG-1 went through the gate found themselves in trouble and then got back home.

It was really good... The last half of Season 10 have been the greatest episodes Stargate has produced in its 10 year run. With this realization I'm even more sad than I was about Scifi cancelling SG-1.

Just think in a year's time we won't have any more SG-1 adventures to watch!

Ace
          "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

I thought it was hilarious. It's certainly not the best-written episode ever, nor the best overall - but it was quality entertainment.

I agree with you, Ace - on all points. These last few episodes have been some of the most "classic" SG-1 episodes, hearkening back to S2/S3 and providing the episode environment that S7/S8/S9 lacked. I mean, honestly - who doesn't love Daniel and Jack bantering? The stand-alone episodes had fallen by the wayside (for the most part).

And Daniel screaming at those girls was hilarious. Though I did laugh when "Cicero" popped up. If only he had been a better speaker...
            Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
              After reading all the reviews I thought I wasn't going to enjoy this episode. However I thought it was really good... a very good story. It harkened back to the old days of simple stand-alone episodes where SG-1 went through the gate found themselves in trouble and then got back home.
              i liked that feeling too. Goa'uld story-arc went for so long, cause there were many eps like this .. gate to new world -> get in trouble -> get out of trouble -> gate home.

maybe it was done more lightly then early seasons, but Ori story-arc is also much darker then Goa'uld (at least IMO), so they did some balancing.
              VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

I found this episode very enjoyable. It was very nostalgic in that it was back to basics; a gate exploration with jeopardy and a solution, but with an interesting and refreshing twist. I really liked Ben's pitch and Martin Gero's writing I feel is being unfairly represented by some. Overall I prefer S9's The Powers That Be but not by any great distance. Even though I'm a very big fan of Sam, her being missing from the episode meant the original S9 team were left together, meaning there was well placed dynamic shift.

Daniel was OOC and appropriately so considering the ruse they were trying to maintain (only if someone moved a newly discovered artifact without permission would he normally resort to taking hostages). It was amusing that his attempts to mask his peaceful nature were so unconvincing, and no wonder.

Mitchell's first contact speech in front of the event horizon was good, very Stargate.

I don't think Vala had regressed (have you encountered anyone who isn't a) boring or b) in denial act the same all the time?) There will always be a playful and quirky side to Vala despite or perhaps because of what she has endured (as a defence mechanism). As for the glass cutter, I would have thought it infinitely more plausible a thief would bring along one of those than a hairdryer, not the other way around.

Teal'c was his usual stoic yet funny self, *zats hostage* "Please remain calm as we attempt to rectify this most unfortunate circumstance". Didn't Chris Judge say he wanted to be back to action Teal'c a bit more? Plus there's Talion coming up next.

I would never let some very minor grievances like a woman screaming a bit excessively be anything more than a slight detriment to an otherwise good episode. I don't think we were supposed to laugh, I think we were meant to encourage Mitchell's "Stop screaming!" The night guard was truly pathetic, but it was Mitchell and Vala's mocking reactions that were hilarious.

In my mind, S10 has had another good addition with this episode and with Bounty contributed to a necessary break after 5 heavy Ori arc episodes. I thought the SGC scene at the end was a nice preparation for the last four episodes.
                Last edited by Tantalus; 15 February 2007, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tantalus View Post
                  Teal'c was his usual stoic yet funny self, *zats hostage* "Please remain calm as we attempt to rectify this most unfortunate circumstance". Didn't Chris Judge say he wanted to be back to action Teal'c a bit more? Plus there's Talion coming up next.
                  My other favorite Teal'c moment was the look he gave Daniel when Daniel told the negotiator that they wouldn't kill anyone. The look just said "Moron" all over it. Hilarious.

I didn't know anything about the ep before watching (stayed away from the spoilers). I'm middle of the road on it - thought it was laugh out loud in places, kinda silly in others. Not the best I've seen but certainly not the worst. An enjoyable 45 minutes overall.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana
                  My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

[QUOTE=RepliCartertje;6329912]Ok I just watched the ep...and also just read all 9 pages on this thread...and I think I must agree with some of you...this must be the worst ep ever...ok maybe not ever...But certainly worst ep of season 10... This one can really can join the bad eps season 9 had.

Grace, Space Race, Prodigy, Divide And Conquer, Emancipation, Line In he Sand, all candidates for worst episode ever, then again could anything be as bad as The Road Not Taken? I don't think this one was bad at all, it had the team, off world, working together. Some really good lines and wonderful acting, this season has been great apart from the odd clunker,eg. TRNT. Season nine started really, really well, the first five episodes were amazing, in fact most of season nine was pretty damn good in my book. Just goes to show to each thier own.
                    sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpnuts View Post
                      Yes but unfortunately his acting in this episode was awful.
                      The worst I've seen of him, and lately that's saying something. From petulant Daniel in The Shroud to... this.

Originally posted by fellip_nectar View Post
                      Just wondering...

Does anyone else think that the reason they could not dial back to the planet at the end of the episode, was because Vala was wrong about the gate depleting the bomb's naquahdah core, and therefore it exploded.

Now that really would be "Worst. First contact. Ever."
                      ROFL!
                      scarimor

Comment

The Bad guys episode was a pointless show for the 5 remaining shows of the SG-1 series. It was a throwback from when they went from planet to planet as explorers. It in no way developed the Ori plot which it should have.

Comment

Uh...so?

It's a standalone episode written and shot before the cancellation notice came from SciFi (well, the notice came partway through filming).

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                            It's a standalone episode written and shot before the cancellation notice came from SciFi (well, the notice came partway through filming).
                            Quoted for truth

Comment

Personally, I thought it was hilarious. We don't need doom and gloom all the time, even with the cancellation. I thought it was a perect mix of humour and drama. Sg1 at it's best imo.
                              Last edited by Major_Moomin; 15 February 2007, 11:58 AM.
                              hh

Torri Higginson on Elizabeth Weir: "She likes to pilfer things from all the little neigbouring planets; That's cute, carve me one now!"

LEADERSHIP: Why fix what ain't broke? Save Elizabeth Weir

Keep Elizabeth Weir as a REGULAR!

Comment

NO!

Every show should have a tie-in to the metaplot! No stand alone episodes!

NO STAND ALONE EPISODES!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X