The Quest, Part 1 (1010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job staying on topic guys...

Anyone notice that Baal's contribution to the treasure chest puzzle was the same dagger he used to torture Jack with? He said it had "great sentimental value."
    sigpic
    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
      I agree with you regarding the RDA appearances, and happily (or as happy as I can be), they are screwing up his character on SA rather then on SG-1 where it would have a much bigger impact.

I caught SA on Friday, and it was a very so-so episode for me. The Quest blew it away, imo. I just find the chemistry between the actors on SG-1 so much better than on SA. I do like Sheppard and McKay, but the others are a little bleh. Anyway, my point is that RDA's guest appearance on SA seemed SOOOOOO out of place. I just don't see O'Neill doing some of the things he was doing in SA. He would have sent someone else to sit in a meeting with the Ancients. Heck, he would have called Daniel in a heart beat. I mean the man was an ascended being himself. If there was any chance of swaying them, it might have come from Daniel.

Jack's character seemed very off in the Atlantis episode, and as a result, I didn't enjoy the episode very much. There were other reasons, of course.

I'm just glad that Jack shows up on SG-1 ONLY when it will make a marked impact. At least that's what I'm hoping. If he does appearances the way he did on SA, it would be very upsetting for this SG-1 fan. I have my fingers crossed that he may be showing up in two more episodes this season. The Shroud, and the series finale - he better be in the series finale.
      Makes you think the writers and other PTB are not doing their homework!
      sigpic
      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Descent
        Good job staying on topic guys...

Anyone notice that Baal's contribution to the treasure chest puzzle was the same dagger he used to torture Jack with? He said it had "great sentimental value."

Nice catch!

I really liked this episode. It was well constructed, well written, it advanced the ongoing plot, it was a true team episode and all the characters were written well and "in-character". It was also a good Part I, yes the cliffhanger was lame but it's certainly going to be interesting to see if there is a Sangraal, what will happen to Daniel and how will they deal with Adria now that she doesn't have any powers. I find it pretty impossible to really rate the episode although it was alot better then I was expecting and I'm definitely looking forward to Part II. All things considered I liked it and definitely one of my favourites of this season.

Two things I didn't like: 1) The VisFX of the dragon weren't the best, not as bad as the Uninvited VisFX but not really up to Stargate standards and 2) I hate that they had faith as a virtue. Firstly, I personally don't see faith as virtuous, reason or logic seems alot more virtuous to me but hey, and also Daniel's test of faith really wasn't a leap of faith from Daniel so much as it was a reasonable decision to make based on sound logical thinking.

Anywho, good episode, looking forward to Part II.
        'Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the end of it too?' - Douglas Adams

Comment

Ok, really good ep. One thing that I think will play in part 2 is Faith. It was the last thing on the scroll, only Daniel has shown Faith so far. They all had to give up something for Charity. But only Daniel, Teal'c, and Adria answered the riddles. I think Adria is going to show faith and step foreward to block the fire ball with her shield.

The dragon requires a password. In Arthurian Legend, not many dragons exist. None have names, most are thought to be depictions of real world people. The legend of Merlin states that he was to be fed to two sparring dragons, one red, one white. But it is assumed that those dragons depicted Arhtur (white) and Mordred (red) and their constant battles over Camelot. There is also a legend that Merlin had a dragon that he rode into battle with Arthur. This dragon had a name but only Merlin knew it, it was said that in battles with Morganna (Morgan Le Fey) that even with all her magic, she could not hurt the dragon, her magics merely bounced off it or did not touch it (hologram anyone?). Also, Arthurs symbol was a dragon, and was named "Pendragon". Perhaps "Pendragon" in ancient is the answer?

Spoiler:
          As for how they get out of the cave, from the vignette we see that they are in a large hall, possibly a lab. there seem to be things just laying around. I am guessing it is another one of those things like on Camelot where a whole bunch of treasures appear and you must "choose wisely"

Comment

Originally posted by BJX
            I hate that they had faith as a virtue. Firstly, I personally don't see faith as virtuous, reason or logic seems alot more virtuous to me...
            It ought to come back to bite Daniel in the ass, but I doubt it'll be presented as bravely as it should be.

.. but hey, and also Daniel's test of faith really wasn't a leap of faith from Daniel so much as it was a reasonable decision to make based on sound logical thinking.
            And was so predictable, so obvious... and took. him. so. long.
            scarimor

Comment

I don't care how logical it was, it would have taken about 50 mega truckloads of faith to get me to walk through a wall of fire. But, I'm a pyrophobic.
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Its Daniel. Hes died how many times now? I doubt hes afraid of such things anymore.
                sigpic

Comment

See, it's not the being dead that I think Daniel would have a problem with. But, I really don't buy that anyone could ever get used to the dying. Especially if it's likely to be painful. Pain isn't something you get used to.

But, besides that, I think facing a wall of fire you're just not likely to remember faith, you're first thought is probably that there's some kind of puzzle that needs to be solved or something. I just have a hard time buying that anyone actually in the situation would automatically think to walk through a freaking wall of fire. It may seem to make all the sense in the world, but there's always that chance that you're wrong.

I certainly wouldn't think of it for awhile. And, not just because I'd probably be shaking someone, screaming "Get me out of here!!!"

Now that I think about it, I think faith would have taken longer in this case. Every other task required some amount of problem solving. Figure out the riddles, figure out the maze, even figuring out that everyone had to contribute something to the charity test, and figuring out that trying to get something was the reason you were trapped. No matter how hard or easy *whistles inconspicuously* those puzzles were, they were still puzzles. The only exception was probably helping the little boy. I think their minds would be on solving mode, not something so difficult and scary as just walking through a wall of fire.
                  Last edited by Dani347; 25 September 2006, 11:02 AM.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                    I just have a hard time buying that anyone actually in the situation would automatically think to walk through a freaking wall of fire. It may seem to make all the sense in the world, but there's always that chance that you're wrong.
                    Indiana Jones stepped out into the abyss
                    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                      Indiana Jones stepped out into the abyss
                      And Daniel has become something like Indiana Jones these days. I thought it made sense given the character's history, Daniels done stupider things in the past. One would say he has too much faith, they're probably right.
                      sigpic

Comment

It's been a looong time since I've seen it, but did he hesitate first?

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                          And was so predictable, so obvious... and took. him. so. long.
                          That's my point, he didn't even think about it (for long ), he just walked straight through without hesitation because he was sure it was just another test and he would be fine. Had it have been the first test, let say to enter the cave, and he really wasn't sure if the Sangraal lay inside but there was say an ancient sign that said it was then he would've had to have taken it as a matter of faith to trust that the ancients weren't luring him into a horrible death.
                          'Isn't it enough to see that the garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the end of it too?' - Douglas Adams

Comment

the first thing i said when i saw the dragon was
                            "Yeah right, its not real", i suppose people will throw around all sorts of ideas until march NEXT YEAR!!!
                            i m guessing it could be a test of the mind, since the quest did revolve aroud proving yourself in various characteristics...then again maybe not at all...ooh its all so interesting
                            well it was nice posting with you guys!
                            Toodles
                            Bee
                            "Imagination is more important than knowledge"

sig by RepliCartertje
                            http://stargatesg1.com/QueenBee
                            http://www.myspace.com/madame_minx

Comment

you know what's weird, the Ancients probably dicouraged fire because it represented the Ori, but Arthur sets up a fire wall puzzle and a fire breathing dragon

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                                But, besides that, I think facing a wall of fire you're just not likely to remember faith, you're first thought is probably that there's some kind of puzzle that needs to be solved or something. I just have a hard time buying that anyone actually in the situation would automatically think to walk through a freaking wall of fire. It may seem to make all the sense in the world, but there's always that chance that you're wrong.

I certainly wouldn't think of it for awhile. And, not just because I'd probably be shaking someone, screaming "Get me out of here!!!"

Now that I think about it, I think faith would have taken longer in this case. Every other task required some amount of problem solving. Figure out the riddles, figure out the maze, even figuring out that everyone had to contribute something to the charity test, and figuring out that trying to get something was the reason you were trapped. No matter how hard or easy *whistles inconspicuously* those puzzles were, they were still puzzles. The only exception was probably helping the little boy. I think their minds would be on solving mode, not something so difficult and scary as just walking through a wall of fire.
                                Daniel didn't instantly come the realization that the wall of flames and faith were related. When he saw the wall of flames, he and Mitchell immediately started looking for another riddle, and they searched for a little while because Mitchell then said that they should take a break, and Daniel agreed. It was only after sitting for a bit that Daniel realized that Faith was the only virtue left that had not been utilized in their quest for the Sangraal. It was a reasonable deduction that Daniel arrived at based on all the other tests they had just solved. Daniel just stood up and said, "It's the only one left."

What greater test of faith than believing that the flames were not real and wouldn't hurt you? I don't think Daniel wasn't afraid or thought it was a piece of cake to walk through the flames. I think he completely believed that this final test was a test of faith. He steeled himself towards that belief, and was able to pass the final test.

LOVED the mid-season episode! Did I mention that already?

Comment

Working...
                                X