The Quest, Part 1 (1010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
    I enjoyed The Quest, Part 1, and wish the next ep was a week away, instead of a half-year away!!!

The show has improved tremendously in the first half of this season. The only place they're still failing is in their ability to use RDA well in his guest appearances. They're writing him as a caricature of Jack O'Neill, instead of as Jack O'Neill. It's a waste of his time, and I find it as frustrating as I found the leadership issue and the marginalization of the three remaining leads last year. Of course, the badly-written Jack issue is on my mind this week because of RDA's SGA appearance, but TPTB is TPTB.
    I agree with you regarding the RDA appearances, and happily (or as happy as I can be), they are screwing up his character on SA rather then on SG-1 where it would have a much bigger impact.

I caught SA on Friday, and it was a very so-so episode for me. The Quest blew it away, imo. I just find the chemistry between the actors on SG-1 so much better than on SA. I do like Sheppard and McKay, but the others are a little bleh. Anyway, my point is that RDA's guest appearance on SA seemed SOOOOOO out of place. I just don't see O'Neill doing some of the things he was doing in SA. He would have sent someone else to sit in a meeting with the Ancients. Heck, he would have called Daniel in a heart beat. I mean the man was an ascended being himself. If there was any chance of swaying them, it might have come from Daniel.

Jack's character seemed very off in the Atlantis episode, and as a result, I didn't enjoy the episode very much. There were other reasons, of course.

I'm just glad that Jack shows up on SG-1 ONLY when it will make a marked impact. At least that's what I'm hoping. If he does appearances the way he did on SA, it would be very upsetting for this SG-1 fan. I have my fingers crossed that he may be showing up in two more episodes this season. The Shroud, and the series finale - he better be in the series finale.

Comment

i agree with maxum, jack just doesn't have his Jackish charisma that made the show so lovable

Comment

Originally posted by stewsith
        This series just gets better and better. How can they fend of the dragon?
        I agree. The series is very good. There aren't too many shows that I race home to watch, and SG-1 is one of them. If a show becomes mediocre for me or loses the luster that it once had, I tend to move on. The fact that SG-1 keeps me glued every Friday is a testament to the actors and the writing. Yeah, the miss a beat every now and then, but overall, it's great stuff.

As for the gripes about the dragon, it was a FOUR SECOND scene. Hardly anything that could have ruined the episode for me. The dragon wasn't even remotely the "cliffhanger" of the episode. It was more of a "Oh, another obstacle" moment to the storyline. The real interest in the 2nd part is what they find, and how they will keep it from Adria. SG-1 has two very dangerous enemies in their midst, both wanting access to the Sangraal - one more dangerous than the other in the form of Adria. This woman has a very specific agenda that we are unaware of, with powers and abilities that SG-1 can't fight, and she has made more than a few cryptic references to Daniel. THAT's where the real suspense lies in part 2 of The Quest for me.

It's all about the anticipation - not the dumb dragon. We know they are going to get past the dragon. The dragon's not the cliffhanger at all. It's all about the questions that lay beyond the dragon - How do they get the Sangraal? What is Adria and Baal going to do to prevent SG-1 from taking it? Will SG-1 be successful or will Adria? Will Adria's powers return after reaching the Sangraal? Will Daniel be the one who can actually touch it? If so, what does it mean if he can? Lastly, will anyone get hurt in the midst of this Quest?

Maybe it's just me, but these types of questions make for a good mid-season finale. Is it March yet?

Comment

Originally posted by gatebuster64
          i agree with maxum, jack just doesn't have his Jackish charisma that made the show so lovable
          That's true with regard to Stargate Atlantis. I don't think he's lost his Jackish charm on SG-1. He's only made one appearance this year on SG-1, and he was great in it. The "invisible" Jack on the 200th episode was classic Jack, and his chemistry with the cast, including Ben and Claudia, was just fine.

My problem is the Jack O'Neill that I saw on Stargate Atlantis. Don't know that guy at all. However, it doesn't bother me because SG-1 is where Jack O'Neill SHOULD shine, and he has. I'm a little bummed that he's doing more appearances on SA when he belongs on SG-1, but eh, maybe that show needs more help.

Comment

I think for story purposes they should have either cut or modified the argument between Adria and Ba'al. I know, people are going to say that we wouldn't have gotten the "get a room line" but I think it dilutes the reveal later that she doesn't have any powers other than defensive ones. When she asks Ba'al if he wants to see a demonstration of her powers, right before she has her "I'm too cool to bother" teen brat moment, you can see her eyes look slightly worried, because she can't use them. And, Ba'al looked a bit too confident that she wouldn't be able to. I actually think it was pretty dumb on Adria's part to threaten Ba'al at that time. The more you threaten someone and don't do anything, the more people are going to figure out that the threats are empty.

As for why no one tried to push Adria over the edge, well at the end, Daniel figured out that Adria had a shield that protected her -I'm assuming it also protected her from being pushed into an Abyss. And, before that, I'm thinking the risk that you'd also fall over in the struggle, because I doubt Adria would just stand there and helpfully topple over. And, there's nothing saying a topple would kill her.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
              Feed it Adria.

She's not had time to lose her virginity.
              ROTFL! Evil Scarimor!

And it's a great way to get rid of super-baby.

Suse
              sigpic
              Mourning Sanctuary.
              Thanks for the good times!

Comment

so did anyone else notice that the cave they go into at the end of the episode looks exactly like the cave they went into in the episode crystal skull?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Galadriel167
                  so did anyone else notice that the cave they go into at the end of the episode looks exactly like the cave they went into in the episode crystal skull?!?
                  No, I don't see the connection.
                  sigpic
                  "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                  DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by stewsith
                    This series just gets better and better. How can they fend of the dragon?
                    I don't think its a real dragon. Remember the knight Cameron fought last year was also a Merlin thing. It has to be ancient technology. The name that Ba'al has will be the password, and Sam will figure out how to turn the dragon off with it. I'm more curious about how they are going to get the Sangraal and get out of the cave.

And yes, this series does just get better and better!
                    Last edited by Gate gal; 24 September 2006, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal
                      I don't think its a real dragon. Remember the night Cameron fought last year was also a Merlin thing. It has to be ancient technology. The name that Ba'al has will be the password, and Sam will figure out how to turn the dragon off with it. I'm more curious about how they are going to get the Sangraal and get out of the cave.
                      It's possible it's a hologram but I bet whatever it is it will be hard to fend off. As to the Sangral, i bet it's not even there.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

ok i realise im going to sound out of touch and like an idiot
                        but WHAT DID I MISS?? Baal no longer controlled by the head snake. and actually cooperating with others!! what the!
                        i need to know significant eps in s9 to watch as i refused to watch because of no RDA and new cast members, now i m re hooked with s10, and there a few things that i need to catch up on!!
                        Toodles
                        Bee
                        "Imagination is more important than knowledge"

sig by RepliCartertje
                        http://stargatesg1.com/QueenBee
                        http://www.myspace.com/madame_minx

Comment

Baal still has a snake in him, he just knows its pointless to flang his voice around them.
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Bee
                            ok i realise im going to sound out of touch and like an idiot
                            but WHAT DID I MISS?? Baal no longer controlled by the head snake. and actually cooperating with others!! what the!
                            i need to know significant eps in s9 to watch as i refused to watch because of no RDA and new cast members, now i m re hooked with s10, and there a few things that i need to catch up on!!
                            Toodles
                            Bee
                            The whole season 9 is a MUST WATCH, especially the first 5 episodes and the last two
                            T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

BEWARE!!
                              The whole season 9 is a MUST NOT WATCH, especially the first 5 episodes and the last two
                              -

Comment

Every odd number of season 9 is a must watch. But, you will develop boils and your hair will fall out if you watch the even numbers!
                                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X