Memento Mori (1008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nccjones
    It's sad in a way, but unfortunately the internet is powerful and the masses have spoken and TPTB have listened.
    *headdesk!*

This is what was meant by "logic".

No one has disputed that the writers sometimes look at fan response and follow it up. Episode 200 is an example of how much they notice.

The argument was over whether the writers conceive, develop and execute their story arc for their character which will be broadcast the following year to avoid a bit of potential dissatisfaction amongst a select few fans on one out of several internet message boards months down the line.

Or whether they have some professional integrity.

Follow?
    Last edited by scarimor; 12 September 2006, 12:15 AM.
    scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by nccjones
      Not to get into the middle of something that happened a few hours ago, but I hate seeing someone get bullied on a silly message board.

She/he wasn't speaking of you when they mentioned the personal attack. It was from a poster who said "The two quotes above demonstrate why I believe all secondary students the world over should be required to take a basic logic course." Which was pretty uncalled for. We don't have secondary students in the U.S., at least we didn't when I went to school, so I can only imagine they mean Elementary or Jr. High/Middle School students.

Attacking one's education on the basis of an opinion is pretty low considering they don't know anything about them.
      I believe you missed that poster's point, then (a poster who hails from the US, btw). And opinion was not the focus.

Sadly, I suspect the irony of your response (which made me crack up - so thank you for the smiles on this grim, rainy morning!) is lost on you.

scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
        It's an issue for Mitchell though. So much so that they made a point of pointing it out in episode 200. He has a habit of running off and doing his own thing. Oh, btw, add Off the Grid and Collateral Damage to that list as well.
        Or it's an issue that the writers saw people complaining about and decided to mock for that reason, which is what my interpretation of the scene was. As for OTG and CD, I don't see him running off in either place at all. I know you disagree, so let's just leave it at that because we've been down this road before.

I wouldn't have complained as much if Sam had taken the bike because she's known for her bike love. I would however have been irritated if she had done so without considering the rest of the team. Simply running off and leaving the others standing there would be supremely out of character for her. She would have told them to take one of the cars or something, not just left them there.
        Mitchell threw Daniel the keys to their car, so they weren't stranded. And he has that transmitter, so he wasn't cut off from them. Plus, they saw what he was doing, so it's not like he just disappeared or anything.

I'm not sure why a love of bikes would make Sam more likely to confiscate someone's bike and ride off the way Mitchell did. I just see Mitchell as the action guy and Sam as the study-it-and-figure-out-a-solution guy.

And I hardly think the team was mad at Mitchell for riding off to try to save Vala from a kidnapping. They're not that selfish, and I think they would bow to the immediate need to try to rescue her. Plus, they had the keys, so they weren't stranded.

I never said they had to be together in every scene all the time. I did say however that I'd love to see them actually acting like a team. This used to be the way they worked. As a cohesive unit. Only very rarely did one run off to be the brave hero...in fact, I can't come up with too many options of them acting this way pre-season 9.

As for bringing up Teal'c or Sam, you're mixing apples and oranges here. Teal'c has a habit of being a team player. Sam has a habit of being a team player. Mitchell has a habit for running off and playing the hero. "Just out of curiosity, what was the rest of the team doing while your character was fighting the zombies?"

Nuff said.
        I disagree. I thought they acted like a team throughout the ep. I just don't think this is a good example of someone abandoning the team. He was trying to save a team member who was in trouble versus staying with the rest of the team who were perfectly fine. I don't see anything wrong with his actions here. And it's not a "habit" at all, imo. And I don't think I'm mixing apples and organes at all. My other examples were perfect in showing how each character has moments where they do their own thing nad they don't get crucified for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
          Is anyone else tired of almost every ep ending with a check on how Vala is feeling? It's as if she's a porcelain doll and we have to touch base with her to make sure she's okay, yet the other characters all just muddle through without the special courtesy. There was the tag of the premiere where everyone was around Vala in the infirmary and she was dealing with Adria; the tag of Morpheus where Vala was in tears becasue she thought she'd failed the psych test; the tag of Counterstrike where she was again bummed out about Adria; and now the tag of this ep where she is happy because she's an official member of the team.

Has any other charactr gotten such individual attention for such a long period of time? I'm getting pretty tired about Vala's feelings taking up so much of the eps, and I really hope MM was the last time in a while that we don't end with a check-in on Vala and her feelings.
          it's kinda like 'ranting rodney' over on atlantis. When rod gets pushed, he often goes into a long tear about how impossible it is and all that...cool used sparingly. Yet over used it gets old.

and yes, the 'checking in on vala' does kinda stick out when you're used to: gee daniel yeah, you almost died with 40 people in your head, but you'll be fine...fade to black' and 'yeah sam, know you got kidnapped, but let's not dwell' or 'yeah, teal'c will be fine, now hurry up, the credits have to roll'

the show has a long standing habit of ignoring the emotional impact upon their characters, and fans get used to it. but then to see an almost obsession level with vala and her feelings, especially when you always hear 'yeah, so sam and vala had this scene together but it was cut for time', so you hear about scenes that don't move the plot being cut, but mustn' forget our vala emotional update for the week

It's like the writers came up with the idea of caring for vala, then don't bother to check in with each other to realize that each of them are playing the same card, over and over and over and over and over
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

it was great episode and now we now who the blonde hair girl that was with baal when he was getting cloned
            http://sword.myminicity.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              and yes, the 'checking in on vala' does kinda stick out when you're used to: gee daniel yeah, you almost died with 40 people in your head, but you'll be fine...fade to black' and 'yeah sam, know you got kidnapped, but let's not dwell' or 'yeah, teal'c will be fine, now hurry up, the credits have to roll'

the show has a long standing habit of ignoring the emotional impact upon their characters, and fans get used to it. but then to see an almost obsession level with vala and her feelings, especially when you always hear 'yeah, so sam and vala had this scene together but it was cut for time', so you hear about scenes that don't move the plot being cut, but mustn' forget our vala emotional update for the week

It's like the writers came up with the idea of caring for vala, then don't bother to check in with each other to realize that each of them are playing the same card, over and over and over and over and over
              Sorry but I have to disagree, the one thing I reallt felt about this episode was that it wasn't just showing Vala;s feelings, but was showing the tems feelings towards her, and how strong a bond they had actually created with her.

Come and visit the Daniel/ Vala Forum

SAVE SG-1 CLICK HERE TO SIGN PETITION

Comment

I thought parts of the episode were good, some were great, but all in all, it was pretty much "meh". The past switched between fast and agonizingly slow and not much actually happened.

The firefight against the Trust was too long and was filmed in such a way that it looked totally un-Stargaty.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII
                  The firefight against the Trust was too long and was filmed in such a way that it looked totally un-Stargaty.

that's because they're not making STARGATE anymore, they're making some action/adventure soap opera and passing it off as stargate
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Maxum
                    Well, I can only speak for myself, but at least Sam/Jack shippers got some scenes with them together. Granted, the kissing was dream sequences or alternate universes, but you got them just the same. Plus, there was NO doubt about there feelings for each other. Frankly, there were times when the S/J shipping was dominating whole episodes. (I guess the same can be said about Daniel/Vala.)

Now, I don't have a problem with shipping, but I'm glad that Sam and Jack never hooked up "on screen." I think after Jack left the SGC, he and Sam began dating. Also, I know that the U.S. Air Force comes down hard on the show when it sees anything that isn't regulation. I remember hearing that Amanda's hair was too long in one season - not regulation. It was short by the next season. In this way, I can understand why there has never been a J/S shipping. Lastly, if there is an SG-1 movie, and RDA comes back for it, I don't think it would be a good idea to have had these two characters in a romance. I mean, you wouldn't be able to go backwards. Having it implied, is fine because we really don't know for sure. The ambiguity of it all works well.

With regard to Daniel and Vala, those same restrictions don't apply. These two work because there is lots of chemistry, the actors are great, and Daniel has essentially been celibate for just under ten years - actually, after the first episode. I really don't think that a Daniel/Vala relationship would hurt the show, but I DO believe that a Jack/Sam relationship WOULD hurt the show.

Does anyone even know if Cam and Vala characters would transfer to the new versions - movie or miniseries?
                    Jack is not on the show anymore and isn't even mentioned so why would J/S relationship hurt?
                    And if you haven't noticed the military advisor seems to have gone AWOL.
                    sigpic
                    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      that's because they're not making STARGATE anymore, they're making some action/adventure soap opera and passing it off as stargate
                      Must...keep...mouth...shut....

Oh screw it. Stargate has always been an action/adventure soap opera. Want action? Enemies, Nemesis, Lost City, Heroes Part 2, etc. Want adventure? Well, too many to list. Want soap opera? Divide and Conquer, Affinity, Chimera, etc.

Course, just my opinion.

Comment

A big disappointment - okay to watch but got very little out of watching it. Just finished writing my review... and it ain't too positive!
                        //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                        Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                          Or it's an issue that the writers saw people complaining about and decided to mock for that reason, which is what my interpretation of the scene was. As for OTG and CD, I don't see him running off in either place at all. I know you disagree, so let's just leave it at that because we've been down this road before.

Mitchell threw Daniel the keys to their car, so they weren't stranded. And he has that transmitter, so he wasn't cut off from them. Plus, they saw what he was doing, so it's not like he just disappeared or anything.

I'm not sure why a love of bikes would make Sam more likely to confiscate someone's bike and ride off the way Mitchell did. I just see Mitchell as the action guy and Sam as the study-it-and-figure-out-a-solution guy.

And I hardly think the team was mad at Mitchell for riding off to try to save Vala from a kidnapping. They're not that selfish, and I think they would bow to the immediate need to try to rescue her. Plus, they had the keys, so they weren't stranded.

I disagree. I thought they acted like a team throughout the ep. I just don't think this is a good example of someone abandoning the team. He was trying to save a team member who was in trouble versus staying with the rest of the team who were perfectly fine. I don't see anything wrong with his actions here. And it's not a "habit" at all, imo. And I don't think I'm mixing apples and organes at all. My other examples were perfect in showing how each character has moments where they do their own thing nad they don't get crucified for it.
                          Ah! I clean forgot about the car keys toss. Thanks for making yet another good point.
                          Fargater (n.) A Farscape fan who got curious about Stargate SG-1 on learning BB and CB would be joining, belatedly discovered the greatness of Stargate SG-1 in reruns, and who is now a happy fan of both shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                            Jack is not on the show anymore and isn't even mentioned so why would J/S relationship hurt?
                            I only mention that because if RDA comes back to make a feature film with the rest of the cast or a mini-series, how do you skirt around his "romance" with Carter? That's what I mean about J/S relationship would hurt the show. Frankly, the same is true of Daniel and Vala. If the producers are planning on bringing Vala's character into the movie or miniseries (if they go in that direction), then she and Daniel shouldn't hook up either.

You would be watching the movies looking at each of them as couples. It wouldn't work, imo. Now, if Vala is NOT returning after the series ends, then I don't see why they can't have Daniel and her hook up. It can be explained away or ignored completely in the movie.

Again, it all depends on where all this goes after Season 10.

Comment

With regard to Daniel and Vala, those same restrictions don't apply. These two work because there is lots of chemistry, the actors are great, and Daniel has essentially been celibate for just under ten years - actually, after the first episode. I really don't think that a Daniel/Vala relationship would hurt the show, but I DO believe that a Jack/Sam relationship WOULD hurt the show.
                              Well as I've said in some other posts and on different sites, I'm not a shipper at all. I didn't want to see Jack/Sam romantically together and I don't want to see Daniel/Vala romantically together either. I don't see any reason for it. There is SO much to be written about the relationships among the team and how they are friends who have become family that it always feels like a waste of time to me to throw in the romantic implications. I'm glad that they've at least decided to keep it in the grey area because that way for those of us who are against the D/V ship, we can still just read their interactions as just caring friendship (since that's all I got from this episode). I just hope they don't decide to go further with it.

Specifically in regards to your post though...why exactly don't those same restrictions apply? As I've said before, the restrictions are in place to keep that kind of relationship from negatively affecting the rest of the team and from affecting their work itself. While I do agree that Daniel and Vala have chemistry, I think Daniel has chemistry with everyone else too and the same goes for Vala. I think they'd miss out to pair D/V up even more than they already do because there are some great scenes to be had when they interact with the other team members too. As for the "celibate" issue, I don't see why that's a problem. It's not as though he needs a romance in order to be happy or feel complete. It's not as though he's been alone all these years, he has his friends/family and he obviously is very absorbed in his job.

Comment

Frankly, the same is true of Daniel and Vala. If the producers are planning on bringing Vala's character into the movie or miniseries (if they go in that direction), then she and Daniel shouldn't hook up either.

You would be watching the movies looking at each of them as couples. It wouldn't work, imo.
                                See and I still wouldn't like it even if they did it as an ending thing because for one thing, I think it's kind of sappy and over-used to pair people up romantically just because it's the end of the show. For another more selfish reason, I think it would color how I watch the show after it's all over and I'd rather have the freedom to see them as friends which I don't think I could do if they actually made them a romantic couple.

Comment

Working...
                                X