Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you satisfied on how they ended SG-1 ? (Spoilers!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
    So, the big shocker was laid out at the begining leaving a long, drawn out sub plot to become the main plot.
    Fifth: The Daniel/Vala love story. Really didn't need to spend that much time on them. Of course, the whole aging fifty years in a time bubble was lame as well and they really didn't need to have SG-1 go through that. It did't benefit the plot and was just a device for the love story.
    There was the bit where Vala goes to Daniel's quarters and he shuts the door on her, the main scene, the clip in the montage where Vala's crying, the "20 years today" bit, and the bit just before they reverse time. Doesn't seem like that much time, hardly the "main plot". I think that it totals six or seven minutes at most.

Second: Lack of canon to the previous 8 years. Why was Landry in command of the vessel? He's supposed to be in the SGC and vessel should have its own commander.
    Okay, that I agree with, it was a bit weird. Maybe the Asgard requested it...?

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
      [COLOR="Blue"]SciFi has no creative control over the show, only budgetary control.
      Not so. They added Vala in the last bit of S9 per Skiffy's requirement. And Coop came up with the "wonderful" solution of the Starchild Spawn of Satan Damienne Orici.
      Do Daniel, Vala, Teal'c, Mitchell, or Landry look like they know anything about time dialation fields? Really, Sam had to solve this one on her own.
      Vala attempted a bit. And really, they had *years* to learn. What else was there to do? "Make babies"?/sarcasm
      They weren't isolated, they had each other. Why must mental health issues be addressed? Let them figure it out on their own.
      And there is always the ever-convenient airlock.
      I found all of this to be appropriate, given the episode's plot. As for Landry's death scene, do you expect all of SG-1 to visit him each time someone want's to sit at his bed? Sam was visiting him, and he just happened to expire at that time.
      Actually, I don't buy that. With current earth tech we can pretty much tell when someone with that type of illness is going to go. I'm sure Asgard enhanced is that much better. They should have been there. But I won't quibble. It was a nicely acted scene.

Majority? Riiiiiight. The episode was about Sam trying to solve the problem, Mitchell slowly going nuts, Daniel and Vala falling in love, Landry accepting the situation and believing in SG-1, and Teal'c... being Teal'c.
      Agreed. Though I found how they got together to be OOC for Daniel. And by that point I was sick and tired of Vala hanging off Daniel's hip. I much preferred her in the eps he wasn't in.

You're missing the point, here... mass suicide wasn't the answer. The whole point was that there was no answer. Obviously, if they decided to commit mass suicide, that means they would have otherwise died in a matter of days. How do you know that half the population wasn't dead already? The Asgard felt their civilization had come to an end and felt it was time to let go. <snipped idea for better ending>
      They didn't even ask for help. Perhaps they overlooked something our "less advanced" minds would think of. Why the heck would they be so stupid as to not keep untainted DNA?

Richard Dean-Anderson signed on for five episodes. He filmed two for SG-1 and three for Atlantis. SG-1's cancellation was announced after he had filmed his five episodes. For unknown reasons, they could not sign RDA on for a sixth episode. Is "The Shroud," not a fitting finale for O'Neill? If not, you will see him in Stargate: Continuum, an SG-1 movie coming out in the fall of 2008.
      The "unknown" reason was he wasn't even asked. He said so in an interview. I'll try to find it.

This is one issue I had with the show. Ships were severely overused in the final two seasons. It felt more like Starship SG-1.
      Oy. Agreed.

<snip of already covered stuff> They didn't ignore eight years of show history in order to launch it in a new direction, there were numerous references to past episodes, characters, and events from those previous eight seasons. As for the show's advertising, that was largely SciFi's department, and SciFi has crappy advertising. You can't blame the show's production team for that. Coop stating that it's a team episode is not a misrepresentation. When he said it's a team episode, he ment that it would focus heavilly on the SG-1 team, and the finale did just that. I think you just missinterpretted. Landry got pushed back, but then... he's a supporting character. I found Mitchell, Carter, and Teal'c to have as much screen time as Daniel and Vala. Maybe you just payed more attention to Daniel/Vala since it annoyed you? As for referencing former stars, why if it's not relavent to what's going on? References just for the sake of references is bad writing.
      Yes, and most references were done by the one who "read the missions reports" while he was recovering, not those who lead/completed/wrote said reports.

Agreed about crappy advertising.

Actually referring to someone who had been there for 8 years would give a sense of continuity. It would be one line. Besides, Jack had more ties with the Asgard than anyone else. He *should* have been there for that reason alone, last ep be darned.

This episode certainly wasn't as bad as other I could (on the right thread ) mention, I thought it divvied up the story itself pretty fairly. Bits were good. More bits were cringe-worthy. I was satisfied for what it was - a not so good end to a mostly rotten two years. Nothing would "satisfy" me except a total reset for the last two years (instead of just the time-dialation 50) with Mitchell and Vala added properly, in a way that enhanced the show, not deconstructed it then reconstructed it around *them*.

suse
      Last edited by suse; 05 September 2007, 06:01 AM.
      sigpic
      Mourning Sanctuary.
      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Good episode, poor finale.

My problem is that what the Asgard did is so contrary to what SG-1 has been about for so many years. It was nice to see the difference between the Ancients and the Asgard, and to get tech handed to us for a change, but if the Ancients had followed this responsibility and based off their tech when they died, SG-1 and earth would have been destroyed long ago.

Ancient Outpost, Atlantis, Dakara Device, Merlin's weaon, and possibly even the Ark of Truth were all ancient devices just left around for whoever was smart enough to find them. Considering so much of the show has been about locating these devices, it just seems wrong to end it with the
        Asgard collecting all their stuff and blowing it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
          Okay, that I agree with, it was a bit weird. Maybe the Asgard requested it...?
          Why on Earth would they request Landry? They haven't had much to do with him and I can't see why they would be in any way interested in having him there. I could just about buy Jack commanding the ship because the Asgard wanted him there but even then I would have expected that the ship would have its commander present with Jack along as an observer.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
            Why on Earth would they request Landry? They haven't had much to do with him and I can't see why they would be in any way interested in having him there. I could just about buy Jack commanding the ship because the Asgard wanted him there but even then I would have expected that the ship would have its commander present with Jack along as an observer.
            The only thing I can think off (story wise, obviously they needed to include Beau Bridges for the episode somehow) is that the IOA/Pentagon/President or whoever wanted a very senior officer to officially deal with the Asgard. A two star general would definitely fit the bill there.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
              The only thing I can think off (story wise, obviously they needed to include Beau Bridges for the episode somehow) is that the IOA/Pentagon/President or whoever wanted a very senior officer to officially deal with the Asgard. A two star general would definitely fit the bill there.
              That is definitely very plausible. And O'Neill could have been unavailable.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The show ended VERY badly.
                You beat me to saying it. I just finished "Unending" last night and I couldn't be more let down. Hmmm, where so I start?

The first thing that stands out in my mind is the Asgard. We knew for the longest time that the Asgard had an issue with their cloning and were going to die. But to take a race that has been prominently mentioned throughout the series and elps to save the day in one way or another countless times, and then just completely dismiss them through a "mass suicide" was completely ridiculous. Also, the whole deal with them giving us technology and then killing themselves was done in roughly a few minutes of screen time and had no emotional tug. IMO this whole idea should have been an episode unto itself. There were multiple "filler" episodes that I thought were kind of pointless in the latest season (my opinion again) that could have been tossed out and something more substantial (like this) put in. I'm completely disappointed with the way the Asgard were handled.

***On a sidenote....didn't SG-1 and Thor find an earlier genetic version of an Asgard prior to them damaging their genetic code in an earlier season???? Whatever happened with that?? Or was that nicely summed up when Thor said "everything has been tried to save us" in Unending. ***

The whole Ori storyline held such promise from the start. I was really excited to see how this was going to turn out....and they dropped the ball on that too. to deal with the Ori menace.....they send a ship w/ a bomb through a Supergate..........ok...that was really not the kind of ending to the Ori that I had been hoping for. But there's still Adria! However she is momentarily captured by SG-1 who get suckerpunched and Baahl's Jaafa take them from her and he implants her w/ a symbiote. This was a really great idea, honestly, when I saw what Baahl was going to do, I said "wow, this should be ineteresting". Then Baahl is removed in surgery like a wart. And Adria ascends....../sigh. Ok, but there's still the Ori soldiers in our Galaxy! Yeah, but we barely hear from them in the last 4 or 5 episodes, at least not until Unending. Instead we are given "Arkad" who suddenly is this villain from Teal'c's past that resurfaces that we have never heard of. To curry favor w/ the Ori, he and his cronies are going to blow up the Earth. Then he turns out to be a paper villain, no substance, no zing....did anyone cheer when he died? When the Ori invaded it should have been a HUGE opportunity to start seeing other alien races from earlier Seasons of the show come up to either help us or hinder us (or by outright helping the Ori). We should have seen a few minor Goa'uld at the very least. What about the "First Ones", I can't recall the name of their race....the ones the Goa'uld first used before humans? They've been mining Naquadah this whole time? and supplying us w/ it? Or did they mass suicide too and I missed it? The other major bad guy in the series was Anubis, and I thought the way that was handled was one of the most exciting, "can't wait for the next episode" storylines in the whole of the series. The Ori storyline had potential to meet or exceed that....

That leads me into my next train of thought.....and instead having a great Ori vs. the Galaxy storyline we get Arkad, the Asgard go out w/ a whimper, the Infinite "Treasure Trove" that is mentioned over and over again that really no headway is EVER amde on, "pick an SG-1 member" that loses his/her memory and becomes a waitress???....bugs from another dimension that mutate animals, we meet Vala's father???? (OOH! he's a scam artist...there's a stretch)....and "Wormhole Extreme"...what, AGAIN?!?!?!?!?.....and why couldn't Jack have been back in for the "Asgard Farewell"? I know he only signed on for a few episodes, but one would think that this would have been one of them, or at least filming something for it to edit in at the end of the Season (tell me seeing a scene where O'neill and Thor are saying goodbye, with Jack being inappropriate and Thor being stoic wouldn't have stuck in your mind like peanut butter.)....seriously Season 10 creators should have be ashamed of themselves. Like one of the local radio personalities here in NY says...."Season 10....are you KIDDING me????"

I know there is talk of direct-to-Dvd movies being released, I really hope everyone involved stops, looks back, takes stock in what has been done and makes something fans can be proud of. IMO they let me down this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
                  What purpose would the character O'Neill served in the episode. What would his presense had added to the story?
                  Oh, let me see. Maybe because the Asgard storyline was always Jack's. He initiated contact with the Asgard in "The Fifth Race". They chose him as their representative in Fair Game. Thor chose him to help in "Nemesis". And in "Fragile Balance" Loki chose him because there was something "special" about him. So he should have been there when the Asgard died, in fact I would have thought that they would have requested his presence, in fact have required it.

I know you don't like Jack, you've made that very, very clear, but that doesn't negate the fact that Jack O'Neill was very much a part of the Stargate story and he should have been there for the end of it.

BTW: If anyone hasn't figured it out yet, no I wasn't satisfied with the ending.
                  sigpic

Comment

they had a responsibility to not let their technology fall into the wrong hands?

Then why did they give it to the tauri who are heavly infitrited by the gould?

The gould have made it asfar as atlantis what makes you think they cant get to the location where the asgard secrets will be secured?

Comment

Originally posted by KatG View Post
                      Oh, let me see. Maybe because the Asgard storyline was always Jack's. He initiated contact with the Asgard in "The Fifth Race". They chose him as their representative in Fair Game. Thor chose him to help in "Nemesis". And in "Fragile Balance" Loki chose him because there was something "special" about him. So he should have been there when the Asgard died, in fact I would have thought that they would have requested his presence, in fact have required it.
                      Getting RDA on Stargate isn't cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        Getting RDA on Stargate isn't cheap.
                        RDA was willing to sign up for five episodes, thinking that they would all be for SG-1. TPTB decided to make three of his episodes Atlantis episodes. Regardless of how expensive RDA is or isn't, they had arranged to pay him for five episodes, so why not make one of those episodes the finale?

As KatG has so rightly pointed out, Jack was a huge, vital part of the Stargate storyline and should have been present at the end.

Comment

Not only that, but the episode SHOULD have been written as a FINAL episode and not a device driven ep to get Daniel/Vala into bed and Thor's technology.

The basic plot of the episode should have never been written. It not just depressing and hurtful to the fans but nothing more than Cooper's device to end the series for skiffy without having his precious Ori arc spoiled for his DVD movie. (Yes, MGM has such faith in the movie that they won't release it on any other media form...that's a BAD sign guys).

Jack should have been in the series end. The very last episode to be broadcast on American and International TV should have been written with Jack in mind. They should have approached RDA about doing the final when they found they were canceled.

They should have also made some gesture of gratitude to General Hammond and Dr. Fraiser.

The entire episode was garbage to the highest degree!

Not even a mention of Jack. Nothing!

The episode should have been team centered with the gate front and center.

A story about the gate would have been perfect. They could have found the Ancient that made the gate possible. They could have devolved the gate's origins and just how big the network was.

I would liked them to have found the Furlings or bring back the Nox.

Instead--they killed Thor and never even mentioned Jack.

The episode was on par with daytime soaps! Unending should have been named, "As the Gate Turns."
                          I still can't believe the final show of the series didn't include Jack. I can't think of a single logical reason he was absent from this episode. The episode meant so much less than it could have. TPTB really dropped the ball on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                            RDA was willing to sign up for five episodes, thinking that they would all be for SG-1. TPTB decided to make three of his episodes Atlantis episodes. Regardless of how expensive RDA is or isn't, they had arranged to pay him for five episodes, so why not make one of those episodes the finale?

As KatG has so rightly pointed out, Jack was a huge, vital part of the Stargate storyline and should have been present at the end.
                            It seemed RCC did his damnest to pretend Jack never existed at the SGC. RDA signed on for 5 eps, instead of using him in the Real World, use him in Unending. The General in Real World could have been any actor and/or any character.

I can see where RCC was ready to move on with new characters and storylines, but come on it was the last ep of SG-1.
                            Last edited by Rogue; 20 September 2007, 02:46 PM.
                            Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Unending was just a reminder that this team had never gelled. Beside Vaniel, they were more individuals than teamates.
                              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                                It seemed RCC did his damnest to pretend Jack never existed at the SGC. RDA signed on for 5 eps, instead of using him in the Real World, use him in Unending. The General in Real World could have been any actor and/or any character.

I can see where RCC was ready to move on with new characters and storylines, but come on it was the last ep of SG-1.
                                Very true. They could easily have had RDA in two extra episodes of SG-1 and another general on Atlantis.

Comment

Working...
                                X