This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    you show how one little thing, one little different decision, changes everything

how oen decision, even one meant with the best of intentions, goes to heck and escalates out of control

i have a response to this, but i'll take it to the sam thread.

(follow me over )

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Did Vala/Cam kill stargate??

Hhhmm - not having seen Bounty as I could not stomach it based on the photos and ep descriptions - I believe it is a combination of the horrendous writing, the puerile dreck that gets past the current showrunner who happens to like puerile dreck (an unfortunate turn for SG-1 after 8 years of a humour that was much more subtle and mature) and the fact that once they killed it they had Cooter run it over with the General Lee.

Comment

lolol

hey, don't insult cooter like that
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc View Post
          (an unfortunate turn for SG-1 after 8 years of a humour that was much more subtle and mature)
          8 years? What about Season 7's Avenger 2.0? That was in no way subtle or mature, IMO.
          - Life after Stargate -
          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
            8 years? What about Season 7's Avenger 2.0? That was in no way subtle or mature, IMO.
            the only so-called questionable humor in that was when felger fantasized about sam and cloe fighting over him. that was nothing, compared to an entire SEASON of humor like this!

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
              Okay - guess who was the showrunner then too . . . surprise. I revise my statement - Avenger was a terrible episode, I agree. Actaully for the most part I think they lost the essence of SG-1 by mid season 7 and low and behold showrunner changed hands in - yup Season 7. During cooper's tutelege the show became puerile dreck in spades. Not to mention that in seasons 9-10, well really seasons 1-2 of Stargate Command, it became clear that cooper's new image of Staragte was a rip-off of Spaceballs - prior to that the show had more mature, sophisticated, subtle humour that didn't need to rely on silly, juvenile, in-your-face cr*p of frat-boy, high school nonsense. As Sally said, a few episodes of questionable idiocy over the courseof 8 years does not stack up to 2 seasons chock-full of cr*p.
              Last edited by binkpmmc; 17 May 2007, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                the only so-called questionable humor in that was when felger fantasized about sam and cloe fighting over him. that was nothing, compared to an entire SEASON of humor like this!

sally
                I'm assuming by "this" you mean "Bounty". And "Bounty" was by no means a stellar episode, but, again in my opinion, it far outshone Avenger 2.0, which will always win the award for worst episode ever in my book. I don't know exactly what you're objecting to in "Bounty" (there was some real problems), so I guess I'll leave it at that.
                - Life after Stargate -
                Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                sigpic

Comment

Okay - guess who was the showrunner then too . . . surprise. I revise my statement - Avenger was a terrible episode, I agree. Actaully for the most part I think they lost the essence of SG-1 by mid season 7 and low and behold showrunner changed hands in - yup Season 7.
                  I'd agree with that. I really lost a lot of excitement for the show over Seasons 7-8, and really, maybe even starting in Season 6 to be honest. Ben Browder and Claudia Black were what kept me watching. If they hadn't come on board when they did, I would probably have just given up on SG-1 and focused on Atlantis. But there's still been a lot of problems with S9-10. The writing, the Ori, some of the humor as you said. Even with them as the bright spots, I've lost most of my excitement for this show I think.
                  - Life after Stargate -
                  sigpic

Comment

Okay - guess who was the showrunner then too . . . surprise. I revise my statement - Avenger was a terrible episode, I agree. Actaully for the most part I think they lost the essence of SG-1 by mid season 7 and low and behold showrunner changed hands in - yup Season 7. During cooper's tutelege the show became puerile dreck in spades. Not to mention that in seasons 9-10, well really seasons 1-2 of Stargate Command, it became clear that cooper's new image of Staragte was a rip-off of Spaceballs - prior to that the show had more mature, sophisticated, subtle humour that didn't need to rely on silly, juvenile, in-your-face cr*p of frat-boy, high school nonsense. As Sally said, a few episodes of questionable idiocy over the courseof 8 years does not stack up to 2 seasons chock-full of cr*p.

Ahem!
                    No Dissing Spaceballs!

Sorry, I love that movie - for what it is.

"Only one man has the nerve to give me the raspberry...Lone Star!!"

LOL Dark Helmet plays with dolls too. (Rick Moranis ad-libbed those lines. Did it iin one take. I have no idea how the camera people didn't break up laughing.)

Actually on topic: SG-1 has always had at least one...questionable...episode a season. This increased a bit in S7 and in S8 many standalone eps were not so good. But on average? The seasons were pretty good.

The we have S9. I can watch Ethon. And The Scourge if I can past the bugs. If pressed, I can admit Crusade wasn't hideous. Other than the hammering in of a character that really didn't fit. And (thank goodness) didn't fit how she was written in "the mini-series". And if I ignore the (B)Ori. Which is pretty hard, considering...Other than that? It's not Stargate SG-1 to me. So...17 or 18 of 20 eps were trash. Quite a turnaround from only a few a season being that way.

S10 was better. There were actually anough eps I liked to be mildly intersted in rewatching.

But major problems from S9 remain. Most of which revolve around how Mitchell and Vala were introduced and (not) developed.

Oy.

Well, at least Continuum might be palatable. I hold no hope for Ark of Truth.

suse
                    sigpic
                    Mourning Sanctuary.
                    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I thought the NID stories were very boring. I like the Ori SL better has more drama than NID stories. NID only became interesting when they got hooked up Gou'ald I hated the Mayborne and Senator Kinsey eps when I was watching SG-1 in marathons around New Years. I only had a issue with Bounty for season 10 I felt they regressed Vala she didn't need to be that way anymore she was not with those type of characters anymore but I did like the interactions with her and Cam in that ep they were funny and Bad Guys was a good funny ep I won't go into details but better stand alone ep and I felt better funny team ep.
                      sigpic
                      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                        The we have S9. I can watch Ethon. And The Scourge if I can past the bugs. If pressed, I can admit Crusade wasn't hideous.
                        LOL. I guess that shows how we all see things from a different perspective. I thought Ethon and the Scourge were lower points of the season. Along with Off the Grid and Ex Deus Machina.
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                          I only had a issue with Bounty for season 10 I felt they regressed Vala she didn't need to be that way anymore she was not with those type of characters anymore but I did like the interactions with her and Cam in that ep they were funny and Bad Guys was a good funny ep I won't go into details but better stand alone ep and I felt better funny team ep.
                          I loved Bad Guys! I could watch that episode a dozen times. Actually, I enjoyed Vala in Bounty. I didn't enjoy some other things about the episode.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                            but the humor of the former situation was more in the fact that it happened as opposed to the actual act. if that makes any sense at all.
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities View Post
                              but the humor of the former situation was more in the fact that it happened as opposed to the actual act. if that makes any sense at all.
                              Yes, the joke was how stupid it was and how un-stargate it was. It was a self parody of stargate in a sense.

Now in S9-S10 the entire show is a parody of other scifi shows with a tiny bit of "oh yeah this is really stargate" thrown on top. It ceases to be funny (not that I particulary thought any of the feldger eps were funny) and just becomes sad. Stargate made fun of crp like this in Wormhole extreem. Now stargate has become Wormhole extreem.....except without too much wormhole....maybe its new weekely earth spaceship extreem.
                              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

in my POV, the frat humor has increased bit by bit since coop took over.

in s7 there were a couple, season 8 more, s9 a lot, s10 is little more than fanfic brougth to life

it is like coop has either done a slow intro to how he thinks the show should be, or he's battled and battled and slowly but surely turned a classy show into template tv rife with purile 'humor' and cliches. I'm actually surprised he refrained from the 'kicked in the balls' joke on sg1...either that or mallozzi beat him to it on atlantis
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X