Ranks and Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by g8tr View Post
    You know, I think this topic mainly bothers those of us who served, but rank insignia is not that hard to figure out. I mean not only in the Shroud, but in the two Atlantis episodes where O'Neill stars were wrong, sheesh!

The one that makes me think "huh?" the most is poor Maj. Davis. Unless things have changed since I was in, it's "up or out" for promotions, and Davis was a major for how many years? And at the Pentagon, no less, a Major is really nobody! He'd have been kicked out if he was unpromotable that long.

For those who think the general's stars came too quickly to O'Neill, just want to point out that historically in war time promotions can happen fast. WWII, Eisenhower went from LTC to 4-star in two years, I believe it was. I think the case could be made for O'Neill, as well as for Carter making bird colonel, that it was a war-time promotion.
    We first saw Major Davis in the back half of S2 and last saw him in the back half of S8. 6 years, which is about the average time for an air force major - I'm not seeing a problem here.
    -

Comment

How long was Davis a major prior to that? And a point that has been brought up, there is a *war* going on and the *up or out* thing can and is waived during times of war. I had a CPT who was on the verge of *up or out* when we got deployed, he got waived for the duration of the deployment. With all things military, it is waivable if someone high enough wants to do waive it.

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe View Post
        How long was Davis a major prior to that? And a point that has been brought up, there is a *war* going on and the *up or out* thing can and is waived during times of war. I had a CPT who was on the verge of *up or out* when we got deployed, he got waived for the duration of the deployment. With all things military, it is waivable if someone high enough wants to do waive it.
        Yeah, Davis looks somewhat older than Carter, so he could already have been a major 3 or more years for all we know. Looking at USAF bios, looks like 5 years is about average for holding Major, but ya' know, it's all relative.

Ha, waivers! Brings back memories. I knew an NCO who told a funny story about enlisting in the Army during the Vietnam war. He picked an MOS that was was exempt from combat. Sure enough, when he finished training, he got orders for Vietnam. When he complained, he was told "Haven't you ever heard of a waiver?"

Just to clarify, Eisenhower didn't go directly from a LTC to 4-star, he held the other ranks in between; it was just one promotion right after another. He was a brilliant strategist who got recognized for his abilities. Never served in combat, though, until D-Day, if I'm remembering correctly. If you look at pictures of him, he had very few ribbons. I'm going to check Patton's bio. It could be several of the generals got promoted that fast.

Just look at what Stargate fandom is doint - making us learn about history! Daniel would be proud!:

Comment

This thread is full of fail.

Suspension of disbelief is just that. If one can accept aliens they can accept unscheduled promotions and costume mistakes. Or they just need less fiber in their diet.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
            This thread is full of fail.

Suspension of disbelief is just that. If one can accept aliens they can accept unscheduled promotions and costume mistakes. Or they just need less fiber in their diet.
            Two points for you.
            One, aliens, alien technology, time travel, etc cannot be proven to exist at this time. The United States Air Force, US Army, USMC, do exist. So, there is no suspension of disbelief when dealing with things that are real in a show that claims to be closely based on such things. TPTB have claimed many times they follow AF Regs, they claim to have a regs book on the set *which already tells me they are full of crap if you know anything about the USAF*, they make these claims, they can follow them. And when they don't we have the right to point it out and discuss and debate it just like everyone else has the right to discuss the points of the show that interests them.

Two, people discuss and argue aliens, alien biology, alien technology, time travel, time dilation, shields and warp drive on alien ships, I can discuss this. If people can argue the realities of things that don't exist, I can point out the stupid, lazy, inconsistencies in the use of something that is real. Again, there is no suspension of disbelief when they use something that is real. Something has to be real. We cannot accept such things that are not possible for humans when dealing with humans and call it suspension of disbelief. I figure that phrase is just a cheap cop out to cover up mistakes or lazy writing, or by people who don't want to question, they just want to accept anything fed to them.

If we all just did that *suspension of disbelief* crap there would be NO discussion, period. It would be just accept it as it is because it is scifi.

Oh, a P.S. for you, if you don't like the thread why bother bashing people in it for discussing the topic??
            If this is a topic you do not like discussing then why did you open the thread?
            I do realize it is a topic you do not like to discuss, so why not go to a topic you do like discussing? And if anyone here doesn't like that topic, they can avoid it without bashing people for being interested in something they aren't.

I for one refuse to accept mediocre and lazy writing with such things as *suspension of disbelief* which is all that is.

Comment

Yeah g8tr, they all rose through the ranks. Ike made it to 5 star, as did MacArthur and Marshall and Hap Arnold, along with a few admirals.
              But there was a time when people basically got promoted quickly because they needed officers in certain areas to command troops in wars. Now we have generals lying around, back then we didn't. Such as Patton was, and held the permanent rank of, LTC. He got the general stars because he was experienced and they needed leadership. When they do stuff like that, or did stuff like that, then these officers held a permanent rank and got *reserve* promotions. Technically they would go back to their original ranks after the war was over. Patton went from Maj General to General in like 2 years.

Comment

Don't You guys know anything. Stargate SG1 is just a coverup for the Wormhole-X program! The gov does that a lot actually. Ever hear of the Atlanta Class Aircraft Carrier? (they call it "Hexagon Island") and you know that show 24? Actually his name is James Bear and he works for the CIA. Not to mention area 51/52. They just make this stuff up so when you hear it for real you don't believe it cus you figure those losers in the tabloids (best news on the planet, believe everything I read there) just ripped it off of looney toons or whatever. Those ISA (Internal Security Agency) guys really know how to keep up with their stuff. Also me and anyone who reads this is going to disappear here in about five seconds. (Also that won't happen cus then you'd know they exist and when it doesn't you'll think this was the ridiculous ranting of this crazy lunatic who forgot to take his medication this morning) Oh and I just happen to know this cus I didn't take my medication this morning, my stuff that's laced with the memory supressant's. Did I mention I'm partly responsible for Stargate. They told me if we stuck the "SG1" in there it would get a better rating.
                You shot that thing at me!
                I was already on an Alien Planet!
                We're all in this together!
                What happens when you dial your own phone number? wrong person to ask!

Comment

Holy Smokes greenscreen, I think you are onto something there.

Comment

Oh yeah, you betcha! Did I mention what Star Wars is a coverup for?
                    You shot that thing at me!
                    I was already on an Alien Planet!
                    We're all in this together!
                    What happens when you dial your own phone number? wrong person to ask!

Comment

Originally posted by greenscreen View Post
                      Oh yeah, you betcha! Did I mention what Star Wars is a coverup for?
                      I want to know.

Comment

Working...
                      X