Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They should have made SG-1 just like Star Trek: The Next Generation.

The old cast we love and know would come on occasionally to guest star, but it's an entirely new show. That way the Ori arc would have worked.

Instead, it felt like such a rehash of the goa'uld. Just another bully with high tech.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post

The old cast we love and know would come on occasionally to guest star, but it's an entirely new show. That way the Ori arc would have worked.

Instead, it felt like such a rehash of the goa'uld. Just another bully with high tech.
      Actually as much as I loved the Goa'uld I have come to love the Ori story far more. I've always been a huge fan of Authurian mythology.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
        In regards to Sci-Fi breaking up Sci-Fi Friday, that was just pure stupidity on their part. Now they're paying the price (and sadly, so are we).

As for not letting SG-1 be shopped to other channels, that was just spite.
        I think this is the most accurate speculation I've seen.

I just can't fathom what a network that claims to be Science Fiction oriented has against Science Fiction.
        Frankly, I enjoyed geeking out on Sci-Fi for several hours all at once.

I guess not letting another network having a crack at continuing SG-1 might affect their ability to show re-runs (but I really don't know anything about that).
        If that isn't part of it, I agree with the fifth man and think it was simply spite.
        "Science Fiction is an existential metaphor. It allows us to to tell stories about the human condition.
        Isaac Asimov once said 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and and philosphers of today. But the core of science fiction--it's essence--has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.' "
        ~Grell, 'Silver/Teal'c', SG-1, 200th Episode

Comment

Originally posted by Dezdmona View Post
          I think this is the most accurate speculation I've seen.

I just can't fathom what a network that claims to be Science Fiction oriented has against Science Fiction.
          Frankly, I enjoyed geeking out on Sci-Fi for several hours all at once.

I guess not letting another network having a crack at continuing SG-1 might affect their ability to show re-runs (but I really don't know anything about that).
          If that isn't part of it, I agree with the fifth man and think it was simply spite.
          Spite is the most accurate reason I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko View Post

I actually would not mind it if they went with that sort of format... we know there was a SGC program in the future (from the 1969 episode), so why not do a TNG style...

Though who would they get as the baddie, or rather than having one main one, would they get lots of minor ones..??

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              I actually would not mind it if they went with that sort of format... we know there was a SGC program in the future (from the 1969 episode), so why not do a TNG style...

Though who would they get as the baddie, or rather than having one main one, would they get lots of minor ones..??
              Not really. All we know is the gate was still there. The facility itself seemed long abandoned.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                They won't let anyone else have the rights to it because they're a bunch of idiots. Plain and simple.
                This seems like a stubborn statement, but I have to agree. First they screw with their superb friday lineup, then they cancel SG-1. They even stopped airing another one of my favorite Sci-Fi shows Ghost Hunters to take an unexpected but very long break. It seems like they are doing anything in their power to ruin their own network, and can't admit their mistakes and return to the good old days. I myself would want at least one more season to finish things up, but I guess they are trying to dig themselves into a hole.

Oh, and don't get me started on their two dollar budget 'Sci-Fi originial movies'.

Comment

Originally posted by kruegersc4 View Post
                  This seems like a stubborn statement, but I have to agree. First they screw with their superb friday lineup, then they cancel SG-1. They even stopped airing another one of my favorite Sci-Fi shows Ghost Hunters to take an unexpected but very long break. It seems like they are doing anything in their power to ruin their own network, and can't admit their mistakes and return to the good old days. I myself would want at least one more season to finish things up, but I guess they are trying to dig themselves into a hole.

Oh, and don't get me started on their two dollar budget 'Sci-Fi originial movies'.
                  And they are just now realizing it. The ratings for all of their shows including their new ones. Thankfully SGA is safe unless MGM demands too much. Don't see that happening.

Comment

Originally posted by david2708 View Post
                    There is no season 11 because of poor ratings, bad scripts, burnt out writers & rampant egos. The Scfi channel simply put them out of there misery. The show had already gone two seasons too long(some would argue 5) and so someone had to step in and tell TPTB that they had creatively run out of puff and the public were switching off big time. Simple.
                    Yep. Sciffy is performing a mercy killing. They should have pulled the plug years ago on the schiavo of a show.

Comment

Originally posted by diversky View Post
                      Yep. Sciffy is performing a mercy killing. They should have pulled the plug years ago on the schiavo of a show.
                      Except Sci Fi wanted and 11th season, they just weren't willing to pay what MGM were asking.

Comment

Honestly, I was hearing that Season 9 was going to be he end...but they said it wasn't finished. So they made Season 10...

But I like the way things are going. I wanted them to end the series with a movie.

But hear is the thing: Is the movie going to be a direct to DVD, or a TV movie too? And I really really wish they would make a big budget movie. Maybe if the first two do good?

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                          Honestly, I was hearing that Season 9 was going to be he end...but they said it wasn't finished. So they made Season 10...

But I like the way things are going. I wanted them to end the series with a movie.

But hear is the thing: Is the movie going to be a direct to DVD, or a TV movie too? And I really really wish they would make a big budget movie. Maybe if the first two do good?
                          It'd be nice to see a theatrical movie but I doubt it(too expensive and not a big enough fan base. The movies will be direct to dvd first then they might put it on tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                            i think the key words there are "big budget", as in, lack there of. but you're right, if the first two do really good (really REALLY good), then maybe. but we're talking the-next-Spiderman good. so my guess would be no. stargate just doesn't have that wide a base (or appeal, or money, for that matter). and though i'd LOVE to see Sam, Jack, Teal'c, and Daniel trek across the universe like Luke and Hans Solo, i don't think it's meant to be, at least not in this resurrection. 25 years from now, who knows who'll pick it up?
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

SciFi won't let us have a season 11 because they are selfish. If they are't going to hav it then no one can have it. It is selfish because SG-1 put them on the map which came from Showtime. So they are like, if another network picks them up it will hurt them for it's their number one show. Even today. If you look at all of there shows, SG-1 is the biggest ratings show they have. the only thing that has beat it or come close is ECW which isn't even SciFI.
                              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

how do you know who asked for too much (SciFi or MGM)? IIRC, the no-pickup clause is usual in these contracts (??). and it's not raw ratings that matter in the end, it's profit.
                                sigpic
                                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Working...
                                X