Odd Gate dialling sequence in 'Bad Guys'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beale947 View Post
    One of the problems I always see when manually dialing: How does the gate know when they need it to lock a chevron in when there is no DHD
    Perhaps they don't need 'Locking in' since ours has no dhd, and what we do is in essence a remoted manual dialing..

what i didnt get at all about the episode is that THEY have such a vast knowledge of Gouauld artifacts.
    That makes me wonder if any of those staffs we saw would have worked..

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi View Post
      in reply to the question about how the gate knows when to lock in a chevron.. i thought the inner ring only span when the gate had enough power stored in the capacitors. they would have connected the bomb power source to the gate until the inner ring free'd up then disconnected. to lock the chevron they just position it and reconnect the power.
      That is almost EXACTLY how it works, they feed the gate some power, it unlocks the ring, they turn the ring to the first chevron and feed it some more power which locks the chevron then they do the same for the rest of the chevrons and when the PoO locks the gate turns on. It was explained in another "Stuck with no DHD" Episode.

To the one mentioning Star Trek, don't even get me started on Star Trek technology, it is the most rediculess technology, most of it dosnt have any relation to real life. Stargate on the other hand is based on real life theories, very few Stargate techs or gadgets are totally made up (atleast in SG-1).

Comment

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post
        Did anyone else notice the Earth PoO symbol on the DHD replica?
        Yes I did notice that, and as someone else pointed out, it was upside down. That has always been one of my biggest pet peves in this series, actually.

In the movie, it was made clear that the abydos gate had different symbols than the earth gate, which made sense as the gate symbols are based on constellations, and the way the stars are placed in the night sky will be different from planet to planet.

Since the gates are using the constellations as seen from the point of origin to calculate the destination, each gate in the network should have different symbols, and as such, the address for each destination should be different depending on which planet you are traveling from. So on every planet you go to, earth's address should be different since the placement of the stars is different.

Of course, if they went the realistic route with the show, each episode would be spent learning to speak each planet's language and then figuring out where in the night sky earth is so they can figure out the constellations from that point of view in order to determine the correct dialing sequence.

In other words, to make the story move along, everyone in the galaxy speaks english and all the gates have mostly the same symbols (the only exception being the Point of Origin symbol... hey at least they tried to be a little realisitic)

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
        To the one mentioning Star Trek, don't even get me started on Star Trek technology, it is the most rediculess technology, most of it dosnt have any relation to real life. Stargate on the other hand is based on real life theories, very few Stargate techs or gadgets are totally made up (atleast in SG-1).
        Actually, it's the other way around. Star Trek technology has more basis in reality than stargate. Zat-guns for instance... Stun/kill/disintegrate? That's just silly.

And as I just ranted above, stargate technology it's self is all sorts of wrong.

And they don't even try to explaing "how" their faster-than-light-speed travel works, not to mention the intergalactic travel. At least on Star Trek they give a feesable explaination, using dilithium crystals to generate a subspace field around the ship, taking it out of normal space and into subspace, which allows the ship to travel faster then light.

On star trek they provide explainations about how things work, including limitations on the technology. On Stargate they just make the technology do what ever they need it to do to fit the story, no explainations given.
        Last edited by upinout; 23 February 2007, 05:32 PM. Reason: Added a little bit to the post.

Comment

Originally posted by NATIK View Post
          That is almost EXACTLY how it works, they feed the gate some power, it unlocks the ring, they turn the ring to the first chevron and feed it some more power which locks the chevron then they do the same for the rest of the chevrons and when the PoO locks the gate turns on. It was explained in another "Stuck with no DHD" Episode.

Agreed! Thats exactly how I thought manually dialing the gate worked. And agreed on the stargate/startrek thing too!

It would be soo funny if the gate was side on or upside-down. They would go through the earth gate straight up and then come out of the other gate 90 degrees to the floor and fall in a heap!
          Last edited by Gen_J_O'Neill; 23 February 2007, 07:13 PM.
          sigpic
          By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
            There's no way to create a believable techonology with Stargate like we did with Star Trek.
            Ah what? Name one remotely believable bit of star trek tech!

The magical replicators that can make ANYTHING? Then theres the weird way tiny rocks don't tear through the hull at 'warp speed'. The fact that a space organisation from earth isn't ridiculously militarised? The fact that they used intercoms instead of radios? And the phasers? ST tech was in no way believable

Comment

Ok, I'll just jump in and say that the Star Trek ships have deflector dishes that "sweep" away tiny particles by ways of force fields and stuff like that.

Now, how do the Stargate ships do that?

Oh, and Star Trek is following a whole other mantra, where humans have enlightened, or something. Obviously it's fictional (and has nothing to do with technology).

And what's wrong with intercoms?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                Now, how do the Stargate ships do that?
                Because in hyperspace, they're actually travelling through subspace where as in Trek, they're moving actual space around the ship.
                sigpic
                Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

True, but what about sublight travel? You can't tell me there's no dust in normal space (and that it's not dangerous)

Comment

Well...they have shields now don't they.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's on all the time?

Comment

Yes, Peter. Yes they do. Is there a problem with that?
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes Aaron, yes there is.

Ok, maybe not, but they do say "raise shields" quite a few times before battles, so I"m assuming they don't leave it on during regular sublight flying.

But damn, we're really dragging this thread off topic.

Comment

Star Trek techs limits are jokes, really, they change the limitations everytime they need to fix something or they just "remodulate" stuff which is laughable. I enjoy watching Star Trek but I need to turn of the science part of my brain to watch even a single episode without cringing constantly.

Stargate is based on real life theories much more then Trek is, we dont even have theories on how warp would work just on that it might be possible, hyperdrive tech has real theories behind it and that is just one example.
                            I am in no way saying Stargate should be watched for its science as tons of it is technobable but it is far far from as bad as Star Trek. I feel really sad for anyone watching Trek and thinking it is even remotely based on science.

Don't even start about techs being changed to fit every occasion, Star Trek fix everything by either fiddling with a Plasma condiut (everything runs through these things), the deflector dish (it can apparantly emit 2,000,000 kinds of fictional energy beams) or their tricorders (which can detect anything and everything). If someone is hurt in Star Trek they just scan him and give him a shot with the same little device and it fixes it (unless its story related).'
                            A ship taking serious damage dosnt happen and if it does you can always reroute stuff and say "meh", Stargate is often guilty of the same but to a far lesser degree.
                            The particles, energy and substances you see in Stargate are all based in real life except Naquadah (the wonder material) in Star Trek they have invented hundreds purely fictional particles and energy types, practically everything is built from a fictional material to allow for the crazy stories, fixing methods and escapes.

In regards to the deflector dish on Star Trek ships, Stargate ships dont need this due to traveling in Hyperspace which contains no particles or matter during FTL and the particles of space are not that big a problem during sublight speeds, Star Trek ships deflector dishes are inactive at low speeds aswell so both universes agree here.

To the one speaking of Hyperdrives and Warpdrives.
                            Warpdrives dont take anyone into subspace and saying this just proves you got no clue about either science or ST science, a warpdrive works by bending the space around the ship to make their voyage shorter, in Trek there is subspace stuff done to bend space, yes, but the ship dosnt go anywhere near subspace.
                            Hyperdrives are not explained in close detail but from what we have seen they match up pretty well with real life Hyperdrive theories.

I could continue for ages but the short version is, Star Trek science is not even remotely based in real life, Stargate is based on real life physics but with alot of fictional stuff to make it work.

The one saying they dont think about these things in Stargate, they do, listen to the commentaries for proof of this, they just don't do it fanatically so somethings does screw up.

Comment

Originally posted by Arania View Post
                              This caught my eye when i re-watched the episode. When they are manually dialling the gate, the chevrons light up from the bottom left and proceed clockwise (For some reason missing the top chevron). However, typically, the gate activated from top right, proceeding clockwise around and skipping the bottom two chevrons.

Even weirder was the fact that they only dialled 6 symbols before the gate activated.

Anyone else notice that?

It's been painfully clear that continuity of the gate activating has been completely screwed up even from the first episode of both series.

SG-1, there seems to be about 5 different ways the Stargate can activate.

Atlantis, even in the first episode, we were shown many ways it can activate.

Continuity writers?????? It's not that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpnuts View Post
                                It's been painfully clear that continuity of the gate activating has been completely screwed up even from the first episode of both series.

SG-1, there seems to be about 5 different ways the Stargate can activate.

Atlantis, even in the first episode, we were shown many ways it can activate.

Continuity writers?????? It's not that difficult.
                                Agreed and they also tend to reuse the chevrons for random worlds, they are constantly dialing Chulak, for example, even though they almost never go there.

Comment

Working...
                                X