Odd Gate dialling sequence in 'Bad Guys'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beale947 View Post
    One of the problems I always see when manually dialing: How does the gate know when they need it to lock a chevron in when there is no DHD
    If I recall correctly, when manually entering an address you'd either rotate the symbol to the appropriate chevron, or just use the top chevron to enter all symbols. I believe it's the second, but i'd need to double check the manual dial episodes.

sigpic

Comment

I think he's saying, how does it know when you're locking in a symbol and not just repositioning your hands to move it further.
      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by ItsDan View Post
        I think he's saying, how does it know when you're locking in a symbol and not just repositioning your hands to move it further.
        Timing. If you only need to move your hands then it will take a second or two, if you wanted to lock a chevron then leave it for a little longer.

Either that or the gate is telepathic.
        It'll never fit in there you know...

Comment

Originally posted by DavetheAvatar View Post
          Timing. If you only need to move your hands then it will take a second or two, if you wanted to lock a chevron then leave it for a little longer.

Either that or the gate is telepathic.
          A telepathic gate? I like it.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

You're searching for patterns where there are none. The people behind the show don't give crap about this stuff, it works differently in every episode. For them it's just "they turn on the gate and they go through". I doubt they stop and think out the dialing sequence and technicalities in each episode. There's no way to create a believable techonology with Stargate like we did with Star Trek.
            My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

First of all don't EVEN compare stargate to star trek, star trek has loads of stupid technology that magically gets the job done without explanation. stargate being set in the present at least uses a believable level of technology.
              Second of all the writers/producers do care about descrepincies like the gate dialing. if you'd watched any of the special features on the box sets you'd know that they even say that they don't take their fans for idiots and try hard to make everything accurate.

don't bag stargete...

Comment

They screw up the dialing procedure a lot. It's nothing new. I just try and tune it out. Its a case of the fans knowing more about the show than the creators. After all its just a job for them, I'm sure it gets very tedious at times and it doesn't effect them in any way if they mess some things up.

In a very recent episode they actually received the IDC before the gate activated. I think it was an Atlantis episode, although I can't recall which one. It was the second half of this season.

I get very annoyed whenever the gate spins on an incoming wormhole (which happens a LOT), so to me receiving an IDC without a wormhole is like eating dog poo, it just shouldn't happen! Yet it does... It's just the way things are unfortunately. They should hire a new continuity person

Edit: for the record, I'd just like to add that I really dislike Star Trek. Nothing against those who do, but comparing it to SG1 is another thing I compare with eating dog poo, hehe.
                Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidKal View Post
                  They screw up the dialing procedure a lot. It's nothing new. I just try and tune it out. Its a case of the fans knowing more about the show than the creators. After all its just a job for them, I'm sure it gets very tedious at times and it doesn't effect them in any way if they mess some things up.

In a very recent episode they actually received the IDC before the gate activated. I think it was an Atlantis episode, although I can't recall which one. It was the second half of this season.

I get very annoyed whenever the gate spins on an incoming wormhole (which happens a LOT), so to me receiving an IDC without a wormhole is like eating dog poo, it just shouldn't happen! Yet it does... It's just the way things are unfortunately. They should hire a new continuity person

Edit: for the record, I'd just like to add that I really dislike Star Trek. Nothing against those who do, but comparing it to SG1 is another thing I compare with eating dog poo, hehe.
                  Yeah they mess a few things up from time to time like in Tokra part two while they are waitng for Sg-1's IDC the gate is active not inactive.But it really insnt that huge of a deal. I love SG so I don't let little things like that bother me.
                  Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                  "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                  Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

what i didnt get at all about the episode is that THEY have such a vast knowledge of Gouauld artifacts.

(plus its even a parallel planet to earth with a guy like Daniel!!)

Then Laundry just went like "well they buried the gate", "we can't do that here"

WTF ???? THey were looking for the Ancients artifact to begin with and they don't even plan to send a ship to that gate address??

This episode was funny as hell with Daniel's acting ("don't give me the eye", "there's a whole ettiquette about this")

BUT is like Atlantis' "Sister City", it looses big on opportunities! (ZPMs, the mentioned Pyramids, the Cartouge, the new gate addresses, a society in equal/or better technological advantage as Earth, a potential ally and safe gate address.

it could have been easily a 2 parter or a 90 min episode!

(They should send the Deadalus now that it has a cloaked shield) and scan the planet from orbit, AT LEAST!

Any thoughts?

Comment

I would just explain it as. . . . .uh . . . . . they set the Gate up upside down.

Comment

Originally posted by tizoc View Post
                        what i didnt get at all about the episode is that THEY have such a vast knowledge of Gouauld artifacts.
                        They've spent 10 years on Goa'uld worlds during thousands of missions on multiple SG teams. How they wouldn't know about their technology would be the error. I think where your confused is that you think that they're artifacts in the sense that they are no longer used, but it's been shown countless times that the Goa'uld haven't changed their technology very much in the last several thousand years. So, Vala's knowledge about the bomb, for example, would've came from her time as a Goa'uld host where she probably activated and made use of quite a few just 10 years ago.

WTF ???? THey were looking for the Ancients artifact to begin with and they don't even plan to send a ship to that gate address??
                        We don't know that they won't send a ship and they won't bring it up in a later episode. The episode ended with them just informing the general that they couldn't make a connection and faded to black within a few quick lines. In order to send a ship he then needs to discuss it with his superiors and they need to go from there. Going through that boring process makes for a bad ending. It's much better and much more like Stargate for them to either be in the briefing room in a later episode where after talking about other things someone mentions that they heard back from the Odyssey and they could find nothing from orbit or have an episode appear down the road where they have them go on another mission to that planet and they have to be extra careful to avoid being detected. They don't do things like this one episode after another as it works better for them to do so later in the season or even a season later. However, given that it's near the end of the season already and they only had time to do something other than was planned for the last 3 episodes, it's likely that if they intended to go back to this it would've been in season 11. Now, we may never have a conclusion to this plotline as they have to try to wrap things up differently and use different methods to hastily defeat their foe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicktem View Post
                          They've spent 10 years on Goa'uld worlds during thousands of missions on multiple SG teams. How they wouldn't know about their technology would be the error. I think where your confused is that you think that they're artifacts in the sense that they are no longer used, but it's been shown countless times that the Goa'uld haven't changed their technology very much in the last several thousand years. So, Vala's knowledge about the bomb, for example, would've came from her time as a Goa'uld host where she probably activated and made use of quite a few just 10 years ago.

We don't know that they won't send a ship and they won't bring it up in a later episode. The episode ended with them just informing the general that they couldn't make a connection and faded to black within a few quick lines. In order to send a ship he then needs to discuss it with his superiors and they need to go from there. Going through that boring process makes for a bad ending. It's much better and much more like Stargate for them to either be in the briefing room in a later episode where after talking about other things someone mentions that they heard back from the Odyssey and they could find nothing from orbit or have an episode appear down the road where they have them go on another mission to that planet and they have to be extra careful to avoid being detected. They don't do things like this one episode after another as it works better for them to do so later in the season or even a season later. However, given that it's near the end of the season already and they only had time to do something other than was planned for the last 3 episodes, it's likely that if they intended to go back to this it would've been in season 11. Now, we may never have a conclusion to this plotline as they have to try to wrap things up differently and use different methods to hastily defeat their foe.
                          I beleive he was refering to the planet, not us. I think he was getting at why a planet who had no clue what the gate was would have such a vast knowledge of Goa'uld artifacts and my answer would be is you could know about the goa'uld and not necesairly know about the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                            I beleive he was refering to the planet, not us. I think he was getting at why a planet who had no clue what the gate was would have such a vast knowledge of Goa'uld artifacts and my answer would be is you could know about the goa'uld and not necesairly know about the gate.
                            They didn't really have vast knowledge though. They just found the artifacts on their planet and put them on display. For example, they had no idea that one device was a bomb and I doubt they had much of an idea of what the rest was. The idea that they were alien artifacts and not something from an advanced culture on their planet that died out was probably also not something that the average scientist thought. That's especially likely given how Cicero's ideas regarding the Stargate didn't exactly go very well in the scientific community (if they didn't buy that, I don't think they would've bought that they found alien armor).

Comment

Originally posted by Sicktem View Post
                              They didn't really have vast knowledge though. They just found the artifacts on their planet and put them on display. For example, they had no idea that one device was a bomb and I doubt they had much of an idea of what the rest was. The idea that they were alien artifacts and not something from an advanced culture on their planet that died out was probably also not something that the average scientist thought. That's especially likely given how Cicero's ideas regarding the Stargate didn't exactly go very well in the scientific community (if they didn't buy that, I don't think they would've bought that they found alien armor).
                              Good point.

Comment

in reply to the question about how the gate knows when to lock in a chevron.. i thought the inner ring only span when the gate had enough power stored in the capacitors. they would have connected the bomb power source to the gate until the inner ring free'd up then disconnected. to lock the chevron they just position it and reconnect the power.

Comment

Working...
                                X