Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't Merlin use the Ori weapon when he built it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he just didn't have a way to get it there. Maybe he knew there armies would build a supergate and whoever had the weapon could use that.

Comment

Perhaps Merlin went to the future in his time machine, and found out when and where this weapon would be needed and used, and came back later to make sure that happened by securing as such...

Comment

Merlin weapon is the asceded's version of a nuclear weapon.

If a weapon exist that can wipe out both you and your enemy--neither would want to use it. It would be like standing in a 24 foot pool of gasoline with your worst enemy. Each holding a match and each threatening to use it. But you can't use it becuase it would destroy you as well.

Now, if the weapon has a limited range--that could change that theory. I would guess the weapon has an endless range and that's why Merlin never deployed it. he made it as a detorent.

Which brings us to a plothole--if the Ori didn't know about the Milky Way, then how would Merlin have known about the Ori?
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

It's entirely possible that something might've happened to Merlin before he had the chance to use the weapon, or even complete it for that matter.

There was that whole foreshadowing deal in Camelot where the villagers admitted that no one knew what finally became of him, although it was implied to be extremely ominous in nature.

This leaves me to suspect that he might play a major role in the first DVD movie if it's supposed to resolve at least some aspects of the Ori storyline.

Comment

He may have built the ori weapon as a weapon of last resort, hoping it would never have to be used. he may have hoped the cold war situation between the ancients and Ori would change or they would simply stay in their Galaxy. Merlin was still an Ancient, he wouldn't want to commit genocide on the Ori if it could be avoided. Also there's the other ascended beings. they may have barred him from making a preemptive strike against the Ori but with the threat of war chose not to destroy the weapon in order togive beings on the lower planes a means of defending themselves from the Ori.
            Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

this is why:

Earth------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Ori
              To far to use it on the Ori. If he had used he might have killed the Anceints on Acident
              Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
              Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
              new enemy of the Ori
              At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Thanks for the freaking scrollfest.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                  Merlin weapon is the asceded's version of a nuclear weapon.

If a weapon exist that can wipe out both you and your enemy--neither would want to use it. It would be like standing in a 24 foot pool of gasoline with your worst enemy. Each holding a match and each threatening to use it. But you can't use it becuase it would destroy you as well.

Now, if the weapon has a limited range--that could change that theory. I would guess the weapon has an endless range and that's why Merlin never deployed it. he made it as a detorent.

Which brings us to a plothole--if the Ori didn't know about the Milky Way, then how would Merlin have known about the Ori?
                  Because he was a Anceint/Alteran he would know about the history of the Ancients and would know that the Ori would have found away to acended just like the ancients found a way.

Or like everyone has mentioned he went to the future, to see humanites evoultion and found out that the Ori would take the galaxy so he went threw history and came up with a plan to fight the Ori, the weapon, and made sure to set it up so humanity got it and would use it at the right time.
                  Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
                  Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
                  new enemy of the Ori
                  At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Originally posted by Kingomon View Post
                    Because he was a Anceint/Alteran he would know about the history of the Ancients and would know that the Ori would have found away to acended just like the ancients found a way.
                    He would have defintley known the history, just as I'm sure then Ori knew the Ancients were out the somewhere, they just didn't know where.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
                      It's entirely possible that something might've happened to Merlin before he had the chance to use the weapon, or even complete it for that matter.

There was that whole foreshadowing deal in Camelot where the villagers admitted that no one knew what finally became of him, although it was implied to be extremely ominous in nature.

This leaves me to suspect that he might play a major role in the first DVD movie if it's supposed to resolve at least some aspects of the Ori storyline.
                      I was thinking that too. It's possible he nevere even finished the weapon.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Have to say, the Ancient's haven't underestimated the Ori, they would have no reason to. That's why Merlin created the weapon, or wanted to create the weapon, or whatever he ended up doing, because the Ori unlike the Wraith were an actual threat from the beginning. But, the Ori wouldn't use the weapon either, Adria said it like she was just going to take the weapon, they're probably afraid of its effects as well.

Comment

What if everyone is the complete opposite to what we know? Maybe Merlin had descended into human form and become a Ori/Prior due to a falling out with the Ancients. Kind of like "Anakin Skywalker turning to the dark-side", and he actually developed the weapon to destroy the Ancients.
                          That would explain why he looks really weird and grey (prior-ish) in the holograms.
                          The Ori are on their crusade beacuse they need enough followers so that that they will have enough bodies to do a "mass ORI descension" AKA body-Snatching!! They will keep all of their ascended powers being prior like, and then only the Ancients will be left in ascended form, allowing the Ori to use the SanGrall weapon without fear of destroying themselves.

What do you think?
                          "Furlings" is an anagram of "Fun Girls"
                          I wish we could finally get to see the "fun girls" !
                          They must be really sexy cos the Asgard said you'll know 'em when you see 'em!!

Comment

merlin could'nt use the weapon because morgan took it away and hid it .
                            isn't that the whole point of the quest (both sg1's and arthur's ) .
                            morgan was sent to spy on him thats why he went out of phase to build it so the she and the others wouldn't be able to see what he was doing .
                            then after returning to camelot it was taken from him by morgan .

Comment

The weapon was taken away by Morgan, yes, I think because Merlin wanted to use it on the Ancients not the Ori, because he had become an Ori Prior!

I think Morgan was sent to get the weapon and deal with Merlin, what became of him? Maybe he re-ascended with the other Ori, and is waiting for the right time to De-ascend. Who knows..

Im not arguing the reasons for the quest, i am just disputing who's side Merlin may have been on, I think maybe he had been turned to the dark side, as will happen to someone else from the SGC in the near future...

I think it could be possilbe that Merlin secretly transferred his own Ori Prior consciousness into a Repository of knowledge device, it just needs to be uploaded into a new body..this theory would explain "The Shroud"

End Message
                              "Furlings" is an anagram of "Fun Girls"
                              I wish we could finally get to see the "fun girls" !
                              They must be really sexy cos the Asgard said you'll know 'em when you see 'em!!

Comment

how can you say merlin was a prior ?
                                if the ori had known about our galaxy back then they would have come to convert us as soon as they found out.
                                they didn't find out about our galaxy till danial and vala went there after avalon .

Comment

Working...
                                X