This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kazzyk
    My only hope is that do not continue to drag this well loved show through the mud so it can go out with the dignity it deserves. (my opinion only)
    I was just saying something along those lines in the anti-season 3 atlantis thread. Like I said there, I think both SG-1 and Atlantis are being milked for all they're worth before they become completely ruined. Bad writing is going to kill our favorite shows.

There's absolutely no reason that any show as good as Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis has been couldn't go on indefinitely. What they appear to be lacking is a general intent to relate to the viewers. I mean, how many people on a regular basis blow up ships and kill aliens, compared to people that are suffering from terrible diseases and the hardships of war? It's a matter of telling stories about the people in the show in a way that the viewer can relate to, and the writing team doesn't seem to want to do that right now. Hopefully they'll re-learn how to do that. I'll try to keep hope that we'll see more well-written episodes, but my own expectations are probably too high for them to be capable of meeting them before SG-1 and/or Atlantis get cancelled. I really wish it hadn't come to this with SG-1, because I'm afraid that it will take Atlantis down in flames with it.
    Last edited by Jersey13; 21 August 2006, 06:57 AM.

Comment

I do find the Ori boring, very boring. From day one they have been boring to me. Mono tone priors who cast a evil plague and then reverse it making them seem all godlike. Kind of takes the wind out of the sail to me.

I think if they wanted to "save the Ori" plotline, they need to go as far as suicide bombers, human sacrifices, torture and give the priors more room to move and act. They need to be more arrogant, need to be more sinister and some have to be in it for themselves. They have to be more greedy! I don't think they need to fire all the writers and crew. The first 8 years they had a template to go be from the first movie. They just need to give the Ori more personality.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

We should leave the writing staff, they know what they are doing and they would have thought long and hard about a story arc that could last another few seasons. Im sure they have considered alot of stuff but it came down to it that this was the best road to take.
        Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Nah man they should get rid of every one and keep, Cooper, Wright and Gero, adnthat's and have DeLuise directing, finito, because every one else is crap and there are too many random episodes, with random story lines !!
          I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie
            I do find the Ori boring, very boring. From day one they have been boring to me. Mono tone priors who cast a evil plague and then reverse it making them seem all godlike. Kind of takes the wind out of the sail to me.

I think if they wanted to "save the Ori" plotline, they need to go as far as suicide bombers, human sacrifices, torture and give the priors more room to move and act. They need to be more arrogant, need to be more sinister and some have to be in it for themselves. They have to be more greedy! I don't think they need to fire all the writers and crew. The first 8 years they had a template to go be from the first movie. They just need to give the Ori more personality.
            You've basically just described the Goa'uld. The priors are there to show the power of the ori, to give people no hope of standing against or fighting such power. stuff like suicide bombers, torture, greed doesn't serve the purpose of the ori, because those things just insight hatred and the want to retaliate. They need to insight fear through entire planets, so that there is reverance and not hatred, through things like the prior disease and R-75 they achieve this.
            Last edited by tommiekins; 21 August 2006, 07:43 AM.

Question 2, you are in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on his back, in the hot sun. You recognize his plight but do nothing to help, why?

because… you are also a tortoise.

O’NEILL: No. No. Full well expected the other shoe to drop eventually.

THOR: We can only hope this will be the last footwear to fall.

T-minus 16 days until sky one season 10 premiere.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie

Very true!!
              I HATE SY-FY

Comment

All I have to say is..

No.

Comment

New writers, definitely. They are re-hashing the same stories in Atlantis, and SG-1 has lost the drive that it had in the first 8 years. I mean, when this all started, We were told that this season we get more info on the ancients. So far, all we know is that they have mortal enemies (only new info), and that the ascended are still pricks (we've known this forever). In SGA, we learned that the Ancients created the Asurans/Replicators (we had our suspicions already).

But that's hardly anything.

Comment

Originally posted by mahram
                    This is part of the problem with the show. And why ratings are continuing going down. They give us substandard shows, and they dont satisfy the heart of the gatehead fans. What are the plots we keep asking for and never fullfilled. Ancient alliance, nox origins, the furlings, the return of the tollans, and it goes on. if it was within my influence I would make a move to replace the current writing staff and producers. And add people who would listen to fans. if you think I am wrong, look at the ratings. They are falling off a cliff, and within a year a decision would have to made. to cancel sg1 for sg1 movies or continue with the show. So writers and producers of stargate, you know what I am saying is the truth and time is running out. Stop with this nonsense of not wanting to look back at plot lines that past writers wrote. and finish them, it what we want.
                    My short answer is: No

My rather longer answer is this:

I personally believe that the writing and production staff are working to try and create a great show. Some viewers will agree and engage with their choices on storylines and the arcs they are following; some won't. Some fans will be very happy with the direction, others won't. Just as some fans would appreciate the direction you personally might want to take the show in, while others wouldn't. The fandom is a wide and vast range of differing opinions and it is frankly impossible to please everyone.

Occasionally, an episode of really low writing or production quality will slip in but I'm certain the staff are more than aware when it happens despite any public defending of their work they may do (and who isn't going to defend their work when criticised?): most people in general are their own worst critics.

I'm not saying that I don't think that there are areas for improvement and certainly, the current ratings would suggest that their current storyline and arc is not engaging as many people as in prior seasons for whatever reason; ratings may yet pick up. And while I do accept that they add new writing staff to the team, I think it wouldn't hurt to expand the team and include maybe one or two women who might add a different perspective.

I may not like every direction they take, every decision they make, every story they put on screen but at the end of the day, it is their show, their creation, and I think suggesting they need to be replaced is not very appreciative of the hard work and effort that they put into it and have put into it for the last ten years.
                    sigpic
                    Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                    My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

No i don't think that would be a good idea. They have been around since the beginning and bring in new people would mess up with the flow of things. I think the big problem is fan who only have seen episodes since it came to Sci Fi and not the first 5 season which is good writing as while. To be a true fan in my option you don't want new writers it will mess everything up. They made these charter and new people have no idea how to write them. But they do new to listen to the fans more because we make the show by watching and buy a lot of Sg1 and Atlantis stuff.
                      May the force be with you

Comment

Originally posted by IcyNeko
                        New writers, definitely. They are re-hashing the same stories in Atlantis, and SG-1 has lost the drive that it had in the first 8 years. I mean, when this all started, We were told that this season we get more info on the ancients. So far, all we know is that they have mortal enemies (only new info), and that the ascended are still pricks (we've known this forever). In SGA, we learned that the Ancients created the Asurans/Replicators (we had our suspicions already).

But that's hardly anything.
                        We're 6 episodes in dude, there's plenty more left.

Comment

Yeah, but I haven't enjoyed s9 and s10 so far.

Comment

Do I think they should be replaced - NO WAY!! IMO, they are doing just as fine a job on Seasons 9 and 10 (so far) as they have on the previous 8 seasons.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Having new writers who are willing to capitulate to the fans is not going to help the show at all unless you want “Snakes on a Ha’tak”.

We need the writers to go back to doing what they used to do. The show used to have more stand alone episodes. The show used to develop its villains. Look at what happened after Apophis died. Anubis didn’t just appear out of nowhere to replace Apophis. They developed the threat of Anubis over the course of two seasons. SG-1 didn’t even start fighting Anubis directly until the end of season 6. They should have done the same thing with the Ori especially considering how the Ori are millions of years old and should be way more patient than Anubis.

Comment

No its fine, they just need to hire me as creative consultant

Comment

Working...
                                X