This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani347
    Any creative effort, no matter what the intent of the creators, or how long they've been working on it, is open for criticism. Anyone who doesn't expect criticism should not ever ever ever attempt to put anything out to the viewing public. People watch shows to be entertained. I'd like to think that it's at least one of the main reasons the people making shows put them out there (along with money). They hope that each show will at the very least, entertain some people. Given that, I totally don't understand the rational that if someone isn't entertained, they're somehow wrong for expressing their feelings about it. Do you never walk out of a disappointing movie and say some equivalent of "that sucked?" Never read a book and say how bad it is? And, you can appreciate the efforts and still criticize the outcome. That is, if you feel the efforts are commendable.

And, uh, exactly what do we owe them? Blind adoration? Nope, sorry, they're not defending my life or honor. They're providing entertainment. When I feel they succeed, I'm happy to give them their props. When I feel they fall short, I'm equally happy to acknowledge it.

eta: To delete something I just know will be taken the wrong way.
    I won't argue with you that anything is open to criticism.
    But did you ever notice are people are always, on the edge of their seats ready to pick things apart when its not exactly what they wanted? And are less likely to praise something they liked as much as they would pick it apart if they didn't?

Everyone feels like TV owes them what they want. It happens on many shows - especially recently. Lost, Star Trek, Stargate.

And yes, you do in fact owe them something. Respect, and appreciation for making a show that you watch. If you're a fan of Stargate like most of us around here, then you'd feel appreciative of all the hard work that goes into doing television show.

Comment

i watched it twice, it was funnier the second time around as I got to pause/rewind to catch some of the wordplay. Great episode, lots of little in-references and "airplane look at camera" type moments. If someone just started watching the show I think it'd be total nonsense, but as someone who's caught most of the episodes over the years I found it hilarious!!

The Wizard of Oz, Teal'c PI, "Why must everything explode in this film?", subtle hints at another movie, the Star Trek spoof, the technobabble jabs, etc all were just A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! A couple things fell flat, but overall I laughed a lot and was entertained

Was cool seeing RDA back in uniform again, and the jabs at how he "phoned it in one season" and the ways they occasionally bring him back ("make him invisible!" LOL) was hilarious. Sadly his guest appearance on atlantis was just bizzare and made that story a bit cringeworthy.

Comment

Other than the "plausible deniability" angle I don't believe the show was intended to have any relevance other than to give us all a good laugh, and that it did. I especially found it funny the way they relegated Farscape into obscurity after recognizing The Wizard of Oz, Gilligan's Island, and Star Trek. The ep served as an entertaing break from "the serious plight of the galaxy."

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

No saeson 1's 'Emaincipation' was the worst!!
          I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Any creative effort, no matter what the intent of the creators, or how long they've been working on it, is open for criticism. Anyone who doesn't expect criticism should not ever ever ever attempt to put anything out to the viewing public. People watch shows to be entertained. I'd like to think that it's at least one of the main reasons the people making shows put them out there (along with money). They hope that each show will at the very least, entertain some people. Given that, I totally don't understand the rational that if someone isn't entertained, they're somehow wrong for expressing their feelings about it. Do you never walk out of a disappointing movie and say some equivalent of "that sucked?" Never read a book and say how bad it is? And, you can appreciate the efforts and still criticize the outcome. That is, if you feel the efforts are commendable.
            Indeed.

And, uh, exactly what do we owe them?
            Basic respect, I'd say, which is something you may give but most of the other antis on this thread don't seem to.
            Blind adoration? Nope, sorry, they're not defending my life or honor. They're providing entertainment. When I feel they succeed, I'm happy to give them their props. When I feel they fall short, I'm equally happy to acknowledge it.
            eta: To delete something I just know will be taken the wrong way.
            Eta?
            Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
            Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
            -Audioslave

Comment

200 was just plain wrong on so many levels….
              But, gods help me, I couldn’t stop watching it!
              I haven’t enjoyed any TV show that much in years.
              I’ve already re-watched 3-4 times, and I find more humor in it each time.

I guess I really need some help…

Comment

Originally posted by sarge
                200 was just plain wrong on so many levels….
                But, gods help me, I couldn’t stop watching it!
                I haven’t enjoyed any TV show that much in years.
                I’ve already re-watched 3-4 times, and I find more humor in it each time.

I guess I really need some help…
                You don't need any help for appreciating a funny episode that shows the lighter side of the show

Comment

Originally posted by full.infinity

Basic respect, I'd say, which is something you may give but most of the other antis on this thread don't seem to.

respect is in very short supply lately from those that are intensely pro quite frankly. is there anywhere where those that absolutely adore the show are told to bugger off and go away? are those that are enjoying the show being called names, told they're stupid and crybabies?

EArlier in this thread, someone accused any one that didnt' like the show and had a low post count of being a troll...but anyone that had a low post count and loved it wasn't a troll. gotta love the double standard

a troll is someone that posts to deliberately stir up trouble. In this thread, i'm not seeing that attitude from those that didn't like it. I'm seeing it from the people that loved it and are so intolerant and narrow minded that they refuse to respect and accept anyone else's opinion.

the trolling that i'm seeing in this thread isn't coming from those that didn't like teh show, i'm seeing it from those that loved it and refuse to respect the opinions of others. In this thread, it's the pro's that are attacking other posters and the pros that are breaking the 'no name calling' rules, not the anti's.

As i've read this, i dont' recall reading a single 'those damn pro's. they're so blindly stupid. good grief, theyr'e so in love with tptb that they could put up test patterns and the dear little lemmings would love it and praise it as the best episode ever' post. Yet there have been no shortage of posts declaring that anyone that didn't love this episode were blind and stupid and cry babies and idiots....and other names i simply can't recall at the moment.

The most intolerant and disrespectful people in this thread are those that liked it and refuse to accept andrespect the opinions that others didn't.
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by full.infinity
                    Indeed.

Eta?

Um, confused about eta? It means edited to add.

Deleting most since Skydiver said it pretty well -AGAIN (I think you're posting in invisible pixels, Sky) and I keep forgetting I don't have a mod hat. *hands stolen hat back*

But, I don't know where the idea that I'm an anti (star bellied sneetch?) towards this episode came from. I liked it.
                    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Actually my dream episode is one where in the teaser, the team walks into the gateroom and someone says, "Man, glad that Ori problem is finished." Maybe an "Indeed" from Teal'c, and then they never mention the Ori again. Maybe I could get Martin Lloyd to produce it.
                      Heh, that made me chuckle.

Comment

Deleting most since Skydiver said it pretty well -AGAIN (I think you're posting in invisible pixels, Sky) and I keep forgetting I don't have a mod hat. *hands stolen hat back*.
                        Yes, i do seem to be invisible. maybe i should type all my posts in
                        BIG RED LETTERS???

But, I don't know where the idea that I'm an anti (star bellied sneetch?) towards this episode came from. I liked it.
                        Calling someone a name to pigeon hole them is the typical discriminatory tactic of dehumanizing the person to make it easier to dismiss and ignore them. The thing is, if those that adored it started a thread to determine the necessary level of 'proedness' to be a 'true fan' they would soon discover that there is NO ONE that would meet thier criteria of loving every single aspect of every single episode. Because somewhere in those 200 hours of tv, there is something that everyone doesn't like.
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Garethhall
                          I have just watched the 200th episode, i think it is the worst one EVER! I ts asbolutly CRAP and i see no relevance of how this episode benefits the season! I all so had a look and the poll(reviews) for the episode, I have to qeustion the results so far? I cant and will not beliefe that 2853 voters thought that it is outstanding! This make me think that the results riged.
                          I am a Stargate diehard fan but I am not impressed with this episode

What are your thoughts?
                          You are wrong. The worst episode ever was the one where Carter was taken over by some computer virus and was "downloaded" into Stargate Command's computers. That was stupid.

Comment

quit complaining,,,the show is not real life it is to make believe ,an escape from the reality...It was a fun episode,,,,,the Furlongs and the puppets
                            was quite hilarious,,,it was all for the fun of it,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              respect is in very short supply lately from those that are intensely pro quite frankly.
                              Only on this thread, really. I haven't seen anything really nasty outside of a few threads that were pretty much destined to be a flamewar from the start(the title says it all, really, "worst episode ever" --> flamewars)
                              is there anywhere where those that absolutely adore the show are told to bugger off and go away? are those that are enjoying the show being called names, told they're stupid and crybabies?
                              No, there isn't. The closest I could find would be
                              EArlier in this thread, someone accused any one that didnt' like the show and had a low post count of being a troll...but anyone that had a low post count and loved it wasn't a troll. gotta love the double standard
                              I don't think I saw that post. There was mine that mentioned the fact that very few long-time members seemed to not like the episode(I admit the puppet accusation was a bit rude and premature--now that I've actually thought it out it's probably more like this episode was so advertized and a lot of people watched it ergo a lot of them ended up here) and a post that said there were a lot of low-numbered people and that it was troll central.

a troll is someone that posts to deliberately stir up trouble. In this thread, i'm not seeing that attitude from those that didn't like it. I'm seeing it from the people that loved it and are so intolerant and narrow minded that they refuse to respect and accept anyone else's opinion.
                              This entire thread is a troll really. Someone calling the episode "worst ever" is an obvious attempt to bait people into hotheaded reply.
                              Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                              Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                              -Audioslave

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                                Because somewhere in those 200 hours of tv, there is something that everyone doesn't like.
                                TRUE!
                                School is overrated.

Comment

Working...
                                X