This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani347
    Really, I'm opening a whole can of X-treme worms, but I have to ask. Are some people offended that other people don't like the episode?
    Not me everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just ran into a few people on other boards that were saying things like "if I wanted to watch a comedy I would watch comedy central, this is not comedy it's sci-fi". And they said they were long time fans. It really made me wonder what show they had been watching this whole time. I understand that this wasn't like their normal funny episodes but that complaint just didn't make sense because there's humor in every episode on both shows. And I think that's part of why SG-1 has lasted this long.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel
      disappointment for me as well. I expected it to be funny, but it wasn't really even that. It was dry. Very dry. even the wedding scene was dry. scenes: wizard of oz was dry. farscape was dry. star trek was dry. young versions were dry. pretty much all the scenes were dry. and the last time thing at the beginning with the furlings should have been explained. I'm guessing that was what the Classified mission report was about. Failing to save the furlings and in the end the planet blowing up.

EDIT: But, I expect Counterstrike to be interesting.
      I thought it was the Foothold situation.
      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

*speaks with mouth full* Thanks for the cake.

I think, and it's all subjective of course, that something can have comedic elements and not necessarily be a comedy. To me, there are some funny moments in The Manchurian Candidate (the original. We don't speak of the remake. I mean the royal "we") but it is definitely not a comedy. That might have more to do with my twisted sense of humor, though. 200th is definitely much more strictly comedy than a lot of episodes. It's pretty much an hour long gag reel which is a different feel from even an episode that blends equal amounts of comedy and drama. So, I can see watching the show and finding 200th to be a totally different style and feel than the rest of the show.

eta: Why wouldn't Mitchell be allowed to know about the Foothold situation?
        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
          Really, I'm opening a whole can of X-treme worms, but I have to ask. Are some people offended that other people don't like the episode?
          yes. and it's not the issue that fan A doesn't understand why fan b didn't liek the show...it's the fact that Fan A (and those that agree with him/her) seem to revel on telling fan b (and those that agree with him/her) to shut up, go away, that they're stupid, idiots, trolls and any other manner of insults.

Agree or disagree. But you MUST respect others' opinions. and telling them to shut up, go away, calling them names or accusing them of being trolls is NOT respect.

There's a whole ton of intolerance running rampant at the moment and the bully attitude of 'if you don't love every single aspect of 200, you are a moron and should die'

People have already been placed on moderation for refusing to respect the opinions of others, and it'll keep happening.

Like it as much as you want, don't like it as much as you want, but you, as in an individual poster, have no right to tell anyone that their opinion is wrong, stupid or not welcome
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Humor is probably the most subjective of genre.

Adventure, drama, angst, they're all relatively universal. But humor...there's the Brit style - low key and snarky. There's slapstick. There's bawdy/vaudeville. and a dozen more that i can't even define.

And because there are so many types of humor, there are varied and passionate opinoins on what exactly is 'funny'

That's why humor can be very dangerous to play with, and even more dangerous to base a whole episode on. When they first spoiled this idea, tptb said that it'd be a 'love it or hate it' episode.

and it is.

thus the very wide and varied opinions of just what is good/bad/indifferent about it
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

About the humor. When I first heard this was going to be an episode like that other episode that I've run out of puns for, I was sure I was going to hate it. Hate is too mild for what I thought. Then, after I read the spoilers and found out that at least it wasn't going to be a bunch of characters from a fake tv show that I would gouge my eyes out before watching if it were real, but was going to have the actual Stargate characters, I thought it might be better than I had expected. And, it was. It's one that I've rewatched, and I still think the puppets are adorable. And, AT made a great Chianna (although the clip was too short). So, I liked it. But, I didn't find it really funny. I found it cute, I found it, like I said in the episode thread, fairly amusing, but it didn't make me laugh really.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

You can please some of the people some of the time and not all of the people all of the time.

Why shouldn't the cast and writers have as much fun as possible for making this milestone? They deserve an applause for keeping all us bickering people entertained for as long as they have.

In my eyes the people that slate the show for not living up to their ideals should start watching something else as obviously they're seeking something other than what stargate has to offer.

Anyways next week back to the usual business.

Comment

People who didn't like this episode, or thought they should have had a serious, plot advancing episode instead just obviously don't understand the show, the actors, or the PTB. Everyone involved with Stargate, as was clearly shown in 200, and in the SciFi special about 200, are just a bunch of normal people who like to have fun. One of the best things about Stargate is the humor. This was the 200th episode, it's something to celebrate. You don't have just some normal, everyday serious episode, even if it would have been a good, memorable one. If they had that, people would have remembered it as that great episode where everyone was serious and they advanced the plot, not as the 200th episode, a celebration of a special occasion. They wanted to have fun, give a thank you to the fans, and I thought it was excellent. They didn't make fun of the fans, if anything they made fun of themselves, and kind of admitted some of the mistakes they've made in the past.

And if you thought this was going to be a serious, plot advancing episode, obviously you didn't learn anything from episode 100. Wormhole Xtreme was their previous attempt to have fun and make fun of themselves. Once they announced that 200 would bring back Martin and the Wormhole Xtreme concept, you should have known that it wouldn't be a serious, plot advancing episode. Furthermore, with the other spoilers that showed some of the spoofs, you really should have realized that this episode was going to be about humor, and making fun of themselves.

If you really, absolutely, need something totally serious, go watch BSG. If you have a sense of humor, enjoy Stargate's 200th episode.

Comment

I watched the 200th episode hoping for something amazing, ground breaking...in the realm of a finale, or shoot... even the preview for next week looked like a good 200th episode. I was very disappointed with this episode. Unless this that is what the Furlings really look like?

Comment

I gave it a 4 (I felt very indulgent today).
                      The worst episode? No. But it does enter the category of bad-worse episodes of SG-1.
                      Some of the jokes were ok: Star Trek, Farscape (although the "obscurity" part I did not get it), Teal'c PI (one of the best of the jokes), the wedding scene (Walter's summer cold was funny, or Daniel's line: "If she doesn't show... people gona think that you and I...."), the fishing sequence with the Mitchell and Vala's insertion("Yeah, it's good to be here" - "You weren't there").
                      The puppet show was too long just to make a point (and when you hear all the times the writers that they have no time for lines that do not push forward the story ).
                      Most of the jokes I found them made at the expense of the Antis and of the shippers and of those who wanted to see the Furlings, with the convenient excuse that is a fun of an episode.
                      It was a clip show of things that never happened or never will.
                      Nothing important happened today!
                      School is overrated.

Comment

I think the obscurity joke was a jab at the rivalry between Stargate and Farscape (is there one? I'm guessing). Also, there were criticisms of BB coming in as a lead actor, even though his star status wasn't nearly the level of RDA's, and various people mentioned that they had never heard of him or Farscape (and that various people they knew had never heard of either) and it was a little cult show that failed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
                          Most of the jokes I found them made at the expense of the Antis and of the shippers and of those who wanted to see the Furlings,
                          Well, they are the loudest.

(It's a joke mods)

And really, how would they joke about the Pros? We don't actually want anything since we like the show the way it was. 200 was all about showing what the fans want that's not already there.

Comment

Originally posted by Oma Desala
                            I watched the 200th episode hoping for something amazing, ground breaking...in the realm of a finale,
                            ...isn't that what a FINALE is..for?

....or maybe an upcoming movie?

jeez.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo
                              i'm not offended.

I just think anyone who puts down a commemorative, purposefully fun and celebratory show is an ungrateful cry baby and doesn't really deserve to be watching the show.

plain and simple.
                              I'd like to add:

And to simply say "it sucked and i wanted this/that/and the other thing" when the writers, actors, producers, crew, and everyone associated with the show have spent 10 YEARS of their lives, and countless hours to make this show, well, how does that make YOU look???

Did YOU ever stop to think about how THEY feel? Or what THEY wanted to do???

WE OWE THEM. They don't owe us ANYTHING.

Comment

Any creative effort, no matter what the intent of the creators, or how long they've been working on it, is open for criticism. Anyone who doesn't expect criticism should not ever ever ever attempt to put anything out to the viewing public. People watch shows to be entertained. I'd like to think that it's at least one of the main reasons the people making shows put them out there (along with money). They hope that each show will at the very least, entertain some people. Given that, I totally don't understand the rational that if someone isn't entertained, they're somehow wrong for expressing their feelings about it. Do you never walk out of a disappointing movie and say some equivalent of "that sucked?" Never read a book and say how bad it is? And, you can appreciate the efforts and still criticize the outcome. That is, if you feel the efforts are commendable.

And, uh, exactly what do we owe them? Blind adoration? Nope, sorry, they're not defending my life or honor. They're providing entertainment. When I feel they succeed, I'm happy to give them their props. When I feel they fall short, I'm equally happy to acknowledge it.

eta: To delete something I just know will be taken the wrong way.

Comment

Working...
                                X