Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG can't simply blow up a supergate - WTF?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver
    just a question regarding SG1 season 9 finale (in aprticular) - upon arrival of the SG1 team on the Odyssey the captain informs them that they'd attempted to destroy the gate with the combined firepower of the entire fleet but to no avail.

However never is an explanation offered as to why "brute" force cannot achieve this - I mean, it's just a gate right? Granted it's ancient tech but still, it's a 400m wide material construction made up of several modules connected to form a gate that isn't even shielded, at least not against slow moving objects since Sam could land on it and take out the control panels. What if they simply lodged a nuke in between 2 of the wedges? Ancient tech or not, it can't ignore the laws of physics...
    just a thought
    It's nto Ancient tech its orii tech. Orii Tech can defy the laws of physics lol

but I believe the connection between the peices is much stronger than we've seen on its formation. have we ever really blown up a gate? Gates have been hit by meteors, sucked into blackholes, but we've never reallly seen one get destroyed... Granted we've blown up Ha'tacs with Stargates but the Stargates mightbe floating in space where the wreckage is.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak
      Oh, that shouldn't be a problem then... Carter!!

tru

point of thought... what if we blew up a black hole?
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
      Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
      Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
      Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

The only two gates that I recall being actually destroyed were the one Carter sent into the sun, which she said would last long enough to suck enough matter out of the sun and destabilize it (so obviously a gate can survive at least partial immersion into a star) and the gate on Taranus (SG Inferno) that sinks into the volcano.

We've never actually successfully destroyed a gate. Even our gate buster was unsuccessful in beachhead. And then the
        Spoiler:
        double-nuke plus wraith hive explosion in Pegasus Project
        was not enough to vaporize the gate, as they expected.

Comment

I think the only time we've ever seen a Stargate being destroyed was the one where Anubis used an Ancient device to overload the gate. The Stargate was not destroyed in "Chain Reaction" even though they used a Naquadah enhanced nuke that detonated Naquadah deposits on the planet, which presumably destroyed the whole planet.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver
            just a question regarding SG1 season 9 finale (in aprticular) - upon arrival of the SG1 team on the Odyssey the captain informs them that they'd attempted to destroy the gate with the combined firepower of the entire fleet but to no avail.

However never is an explanation offered as to why "brute" force cannot achieve this - I mean, it's just a gate right? Granted it's ancient tech but still, it's a 400m wide material construction made up of several modules connected to form a gate that isn't even shielded, at least not against slow moving objects since Sam could land on it and take out the control panels. What if they simply lodged a nuke in between 2 of the wedges? Ancient tech or not, it can't ignore the laws of physics...
            just a thought
            You have been watching the show, right? We have never seen a gate destroyed if my memory is correct. The one on Abydos could just be burried under the rubble. We have seeen an anceint gate destroyer but that thing was huge and took a long time for it to work.
            *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
            *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
            *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
            *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
            *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
            *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Nah, it only took so long to destroy the gate because of the Iris. And, that only worked by charging the particles that make up the gate, and causing a massive chain reaction. The in "Full Circle," I think was actually destroyed, because the ascended had to manifest a gate for them to get back to Earth. But, that weapon probably worked in the same way as the weapon Anubis used, in the episodes "Redemption."

Comment

Another gate which was apparently destroyed was at the beginning of '48 Hours', when Tanith's Al'kesh impacted with it. Though that doesn't really make sense to me, since the impact followed by explosion of an Al'kesh shouldn't exceed that of a Mark IX (or even stressful re-entry through the Earth's atmosphere, such as the gate onboard Thor's Beliskner) unless that particular vessel was modified to operate on some black hole reactor or something. Perhaps the gate was merely damaged and malfunctioned or something.

But yeah, the gate in 'Beach Head' surviving a Mark IX explosion at near point-blank range was really something, though I wonder if it was also due to the Prior doing his best to protect it, as was indicated by him touching it moments before the bomb detonated.

Comment

Yeah, I think the Prior caused most the explosive force to radiate outward. Man, aren't those Prior's just amazing people?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares
                    Another gate which was apparently destroyed was at the beginning of '48 Hours', when Tanith's Al'kesh impacted with it. Though that doesn't really make sense to me, since the impact followed by explosion of an Al'kesh shouldn't exceed that of a Mark IX (or even stressful re-entry through the Earth's atmosphere, such as the gate onboard Thor's Beliskner) unless that particular vessel was modified to operate on some black hole reactor or something. Perhaps the gate was merely damaged and malfunctioned or something.

But yeah, the gate in 'Beach Head' surviving a Mark IX explosion at near point-blank range was really something, though I wonder if it was also due to the Prior doing his best to protect it, as was indicated by him touching it moments before the bomb detonated.
                    The Al'Kesh didn't hit the gate, it hit the DHD. This cut the power to the gate thus causing the problems. The gate was still there. The gate can take an extreme amount of punishment as shown in episodes such as "A Matter of Time" and "Chain Reaction" and thus it is extremely hard to destroy.
                    Sir, Request permission to beat the... out of this man"

Comment

Don't forget "A Hundred Days."

Comment

Originally posted by JanusAncient
                        Don't forget "A Hundred Days."
                        The gate wasn't destroyed though, only buried.

Comment

Honestly... if you want to destroy the supergate, go get yourself a normal stargate.

Take it near the supergate, turn it such that the fwoosh will wask over the supergate parts. Activate your stargate and watch the supergate get instantly vaporized piece by piece as you repeatedly activate the stargate you are toting around.

It's already been established the the fwoosh of the forming event horizon annihilates anything it touches.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthMord
                            Honestly... if you want to destroy the supergate, go get yourself a normal stargate.

Take it near the supergate, turn it such that the fwoosh will wask over the supergate parts. Activate your stargate and watch the supergate get instantly vaporized piece by piece as you repeatedly activate the stargate you are toting around.

It's already been established the the fwoosh of the forming event horizon annihilates anything it touches.
                            Indeed

In fact they might only need to do that on one of the wedges & the rest of the gate would fall apart

Comment

mmmmm I dunno
                              Lookit
                              We're not looking at blowing UP a gate but rather blowing one chunk out of it to force it to apart and dissassemble. I would think that if they packed enough explosives on the weakest point of the gate itself in order to collapse it that point may work. Shaped charges.
                              I'm just speculating but everyone looks at what powers it aka black hole but it's essentially just a stone ring of parts which in itself would have certain weaknesses.
                              The other thing is and I'm still specualting here, the gate control crystals. Carter easily accessed the crystals to insert a new control one right? Well what happened if you simply yanked all the control crystals? This is a ring holding a wormhole together right? I mean the ring doesn't just form in around the wormhole or does it? One would imagine that the power to hold a wormhole to a certain diameter would be awesome.
                              I mean the gate still has to have instructions to do things issued by those control crystals. So many times on SG1 people have shot the hell out the control crystals to shut things down only they don't do it now?
                              Obviously something has to hold the gate together, take that away and bye bye gate.

Comment

Originally posted by DarthMord

your a genius lol... why? Because I had the same idea... After I seen Pegasus Project i was wondering why they just didnt do that and save time lol...
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Working...
                                X