This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PG15
    Wouldn't operating on a POW violate some kind of law?
    I don't think those rules apply when dealing with aliens. as we learned early on that Teal'c had no rights when the NID (?) wanted to take him away and experiment on him.
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
      I am going to assume you do not understand basic military security procedures and computer security procedures because of your long list. If no one else address your erroneous list I will tomorrow when I have time but for now just one point :

Whether or not you think that it was a waste of time or what you think the characters might have been thinking; it is a basic security procedure to remove any and all devices from a prisoner. They did not, so yes it is a plot hole.
      my erroneous list? as far as I can tell... MOST of the plotholes posted arent plotholes but rather questions. like why is my tuna sandwich on toasted bread when all i see is whtie bread... commonsense dictates that you've used a toaster... We could go with the Razor theory that was mentioned in Eureka(which I've actually used in examples without knowing of it sicne i was little lol) You have toasted bread on your tuna sandwich and only white bread is out Theory A: you have a toaster Theory B:Aliens abducted you and gave you microwave eyes so everything u look at gets "nuked"(microwave term not actual nuke) I'll go with common sense, and chose A.

Since the introduction of the IOA and the treaties we have made with others is it not unreasonable to beleive a form of the geneva convention is out there, where we cant operate on POW's even if they are aliens.. So you have 25+ Goauld clones with signals coming out of them... A:assume your signal jam(AS THE SAID IN THE SHOW THEY ASSUMED, not what i think they thought but what they actually thought) will be suffient to block it out the signal from others, and avoid being attacked by the IOA or the NID ect for operating on a POW or B: Operate on a POW, possibly getting the entire SGC under new management for inhuman treatment.... the IOA will look for any reason they can to get rid of the US Military...

I dont know much about miltary procedure, but, i do kno alot about common sense.. and if Military procedure doenst have common sense... then... I think the procedure need to be changed.

about PP and Uninvited post up a few spots...
      Im not sure why the gate didn't move or anything during the explosions, they didnt really show us, so we cant be sure... but the last blast probably has soemthign to do with the ancients.. if not, perhaps the gates own propulsion system that they set up is the reason behind it..
      Uninvited... The bugs leaked thru to our diminsion, once they leaved thru they made the area highcontainment because of the bugs radiation... The rest idk... we've seen other things immune to the zat perhaps the radiation has somethign to do with it.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Your list of explanations for the lack of plotholes does not seem very logical. It's too long for me to go into any detail, but I will just pick out the ones I found particularly glaring.

Originally posted by Metonic
        2) And why is that, important, list accessable from every terminal inside the SG-C when that list should only be accessible form the controlroom? There is an access code so that onyl authorized personal can access it... and that way they can access it withotu getting i nthe wya of others. Most of the SGC and Atlantis are on a Network, so they dont have to haul cd's and hard drives to each computer to get work done. Common Sense... Once again this is no plothole.
        It does not make any sense, from a security standpoint, or a practicality standpoint, to be able to access highly secure data from a computer terminal in what looked to be for all intents and purposes a supply closet (why was there a computer even in there to begin with?). No military base would ever allow their security to be compromised like that, that you can just access their database from anywhere. How is that even remotely related to common sense? So that they don't get in each other's way? Who would even work in a closet like that?

3) Why weren't the guards and invasion teams equiped with symbiot poison grenades? Which ones? the ones collect Baals or all of them? Ones collecting Baals because they wanted him alive for any information and to find the real one, and after they captured them they had no reason to kill them after they found out they werent real ones. All in general? because thee are Free Jaffa that have symbiotes... and thats called Genocide... Not a plot hole..
        Say what? What does the Free Jaffa have to do with anything; how do they even remotely connect to this situation? As soon as the Ba'al's were rounded up into the SGC, it would have made sense to give the guards access to sybiote poison, in case something happened. It's called being prepared for all contingencies. Because you are right, they had no reason to kill the clone Ba'als, it's not like they tried to escape or anything.

5) there is NO WAY IN HADES an alkash will crash in colorado and not be on the internet within half an hour. not with an air force base, air force academy, army base, local air port, international airport 70 miles away and a quarter million people living in the city (or so, not quite sure what colorado springs' population is) They evacuated the Area completely theres a chance somebody seen it. and all they gotta do, is say it was a test plane that crashed because no body would of had a clear look at it..
        You are right, nobody probably noticed the two fighter planes shooting down a fricking alkesh over a heavily populated area with several military bases, a couple airports (don't forget all that constantly monitored air space), and probably 24 hour surveilance. But I'm sure they managed to cover it up just fine.

9) the SF's for allowing an armed Barrett into seeing the prisoner (um what is Security for!!!!)
        Security is to make sure the prisoner gets out. Barret, didn't reveal he had a weapon, he was brainwashed, and the gaurd assumed he would had done the protocol and followed orders of the agent.
        I always thought it was the job of security to make sure the prisoner stays in... Seriously though, the guard should have searched Barrett to make sure he didn't have a weapon, it's as simple as that. That's who was at fault in that situation, the guard. It is not the job of the guard to assume that person visiting the prisoner has followed protocol, they are supposed to make sure, or else what is the point of having a guard at all? I'm sure all the guards in our prison systems just assume that those visiting those in prison are telling the truth when they come and visit the prison (okay, that didn't sound quite as good as it did in my head).
        "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

as to barrett getting his gun into the locked room. visit a jail, any jail. even the guards don't have weapons in free reach of the prisoners. any and ALL visitors must surrender all weapons or anything that can be seen as a weapon. some even have dress codes (ie if the prisoners are wearing blue denim shirts, no visitors are allowed to wear them)

now this is a rule for official prisons not military detention cells, but, if you'll notice, even our heroes don't run around the sgc armed. they check their weapons in and out from the armory when they need them. thus barrett should have surrendered his weapon as soon as he entered the facility cause, NID or not, they don't want weapons just running around loose and out of control.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Orion's Star
            Your list of explanations for the lack of plotholes does not seem very logical. It's too long for me to go into any detail, but I will just pick out the ones I found particularly glaring.
            I'm gonna disagree... but it won't matter lol so i guess... idk...

It does not make any sense, from a security standpoint, or a practicality standpoint, to be able to access highly secure data from a computer terminal in what looked to be for all intents and purposes a supply closet (why was there a computer even in there to begin with?). No military base would ever allow their security to be compromised like that, that you can just access their database from anywhere. How is that even remotely related to common sense? So that they don't get in each other's way? Who would even work in a closet like that?
            I don't think it was a supply closet, if it was then you got me, but for all intent and purposes it looked like somebodies office, like Daniels but not as important so lacking of items... But thats how i precieved it, We've seen the supply closet in Spirits I believe, they have shelves and dont look like that.. I'll have to rewatch the episode to reexamin the rooom, but i doubt that will help given that theres Baals everywhere blocking your view of most the room.. So from a practical point... wouldnt you want somebody thats researching something to have access to the network so they may get any files they have access to to do their research?? this is why they needed an Access code.... I see it as common sense...but i could be missing something....

Say what? What does the Free Jaffa have to do with anything; how do they even remotely connect to this situation? As soon as the Ba'al's were rounded up into the SGC, it would have made sense to give the guards access to sybiote poison, in case something happened. It's called being prepared for all contingencies. Because you are right, they had no reason to kill the clone Ba'als, it's not like they tried to escape or anything.
            I meant that the symbiote poision would kill Jaffa on the off world captures of Baal, and that includes Free Jaffa that may be spies. They had no reason to kill Baal because they didn't believe he could escape and if it wasn't for Berret f'ing things up, Baals wouldnt of escaped. also, Do they have symbiot poison gernades? do they have them in Massproduction? I don't recall seeing them, but hey, I may of overlooked it...

You are right, nobody probably noticed the two fighter planes shooting down a fricking alkesh over a heavily populated area with several military bases, a couple airports (don't forget all that constantly monitored air space), and probably 24 hour surveilance. But I'm sure they managed to cover it up just fine.
            Well... lets see... they detected an Alkesh... chances are.... they evacuated the areas along its flight path, and I believe they said that it was near a small town, by the looks farming community so low amount of people, easily evacuated, and small numbers means less belief. alot of people claim they were abducted by aliens, and alot of people still don't believe it...
            Besides all this "Monitored air space" was probably being monitored by the Government. Based on how you say they break security drills, and should do this and that, you could even say, the SGC should also monitor air space in its surrounding space due to the fact aliens know where the SGC is. it would be in the interest of security... Chances are they'll claim it to be a test flight, a terrorist attack, or a meteor...

I always thought it was the job of security to make sure the prisoner stays in... Seriously though, the guard should have searched Barrett to make sure he didn't have a weapon, it's as simple as that. That's who was at fault in that situation, the guard. It is not the job of the guard to assume that person visiting the prisoner has followed protocol, they are supposed to make sure, or else what is the point of having a guard at all? I'm sure all the guards in our prison systems just assume that those visiting those in prison are telling the truth when they come and visit the prison (okay, that didn't sound quite as good as it did in my head).
            Guard should be severly punished, perhaps dishonorably discharge... as seen Berret ran down there and whined, we can only assume he said he was a superior officer and had every right to go blah blah blah... gaurd made a mistake maybe, not really a plothole... It is possible that Berret handed him a gun, from his gun holster as the one he had was on his back.

Anyway, the guy visiting the prison, may not be the convicts brother, but his half brother... this is the SGC, not a prison, so... maybe the gaurds are part time lol.. we dont know... that one could be a plothole if they ever mentioned that NID agents must be checked at all times...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Uh, actually in episodes past (TLC, PL), it seems like people can just pop into Jack's cabin. The one with the lake is in Minnesota (or Montana, always get those confused), I doubt that Jack lived on base every day except when he traveled 1k miles to get to his "cabin" with the no-fish lake.
              Sorry, but I'm a little confused here as to what your point is. Yes, on occasions in the episodes you mention, there were people at Jack's cabin in Minnesota. (In actual fact, Maybourne never entered Jack's cabin in PL, just hung around outside and stole from his barbecue.).

You're also right in that Jack has no need to travel to Minnesota for a place to stay outside of the base. We've quite clearly seen his home in Colorado. (in episodes such as FA, CotG, CJ etc.) on several occasions. More than we've seen his cabin actually. I might be wrong here, but I don't think we've actually ever seen inside the Minnesota cabin. It's always just the outside, the lake, that we've seen.

However, unless I'm reading your post wrongly, you seem to be thinking that the Colorado house and the Minnesota cabin are the same place. They aren't. He has a home near to work and a cabin he visits from time to time when on vacation. Two entirely separate places.

Albion
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
                Security is to make sure the prisoner gets out.
                Originally posted by Orion's Star
                I always thought it was the job of security to make sure the prisoner stays in...
                No, no, Metonic is right. I'm pretty sure that on this series it's the job of security to make sure the prisoner gets out. And I must say, they have been consistent.
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I truly believe if we try to even partially list all the plot holes and inconsistencies......the list would be soooooooo long, no one would read it all and what's the real point? Stargate is not a reality show, it's science fiction and as such, don't you think suspension of belief is needed at times?

As much as a few plot holes were a tad larger than I would have liked, over all, I have been able to over look them, for the sake of a good story. I know many of you will disagree, and that's fine, as long as we all still watch.
                  On fighting:
                  Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                  Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Working...
                  X