Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG-1 has stuffed up my church experience!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noooooooo Hallowed are the Xander
    Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
      *I said Protestant because Mormons, Jehovah's Whitness and Catholics have all rewritten or added/subtracted to the bible that the Protestant churches use and I'm not familliar with the changes. Besides, if a religious text needs to be changed, it obviously isn't "devinely inspired"
      I'm afraid you have that backwards.

Also

Originally posted by cooky
      We can still kill bacteria with penicillin. We have also discovered some that are strong enough to resist penicillin. There is no evidence that this stronger bacteria is an evolved form of the former group, new to earth. It could easilly have been around since before the discovery of penicillin. This is Natural Selection, not Evolution. Natural Selection explains how some species survive while others die out, it does not explain how those species came into existence to begin with. Though Natural Selection is an integrall part of the Theory of Evolution, it is independant, both sides acknowledge it.
      There have been observed instances of speciation. See:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html
      Last edited by JudeMorrigan; 04 August 2006, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth
        I used to believe that what you have mentioned here was the truth. But Heseinberg blows this out of the water. It is impossible to pinpoint both the position and the velocity of a particle at one time. The closer you get to one, the more vague the other becomes. That's the general gist of it anyway.
        In addition to that, another area of Physics which I've forgotten the name of, states that if an electron is moving from A to B, there are many paths which it can take. According to this theory, the electron takes all of these close to infinite number of paths simultaneously, hence, causing the production of multiple alternate realities.
        I think you're thinking of Quantum Physics.
        So, once you've established that you cannot predict the future due to Heseinberg (Am I spelling that right?) no matter how all powerful you are or how infinite your consiousness is and that any event will cause almost an infinite number of possibilities and hence, realities, it becomes quite obvious that God could not have set this all into motion eaon's (again, spelling?) ago with a specific plan in mind, since every single thing that can happen DOES happen!
        Heisenberg. Aeons.

PS: Oh, yeah, Creation, that's definately how the universe came into existence, within a seven day period. I suppose you believe in Adam and Eve as well. :rolls eyes: I usually don't like to put down other people's religious beliefs but...jeez!
        How could this be called Intelligent Design?
        Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
        Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
        -Audioslave

Comment

Just because we have a theory that seems correct, doesn't mean that there won't be a more correct theory that will come along later that contradicts it. Old theories get thrumped in favor of new ones that seem more accurate. This is how science works (a flawed model of the universe that continues to get more accurate). Keep that in mind for the following.

I used to believe that what you have mentioned here was the truth. But Heseinberg blows this out of the water. It is impossible to pinpoint both the position and the velocity of a particle at one time. The closer you get to one, the more vague the other becomes. That's the general gist of it anyway.
          I operate on the assumption that God knows literally everything and is the designer of the rules of our universe. Just because we haven't found a way to determine both at the same time doesn't mean there isn't a way. We just haven't discovered it. I'm not going to assume there isn't a way just because we don't know how. Here's an example from Stargate: The Tollans long ago set aside the Uncertainty Principle, because they discovered it was wrong. They understood physics far better than we do.

In addition to that, another area of Physics which I've forgotten the name of, states that if an electron is moving from A to B, there are many paths which it can take. According to this theory, the electron takes all of these close to infinite number of paths simultaneously, hence, causing the production of multiple alternate realities.
          So, once you've established that you cannot predict the future due to Heseinberg (Am I spelling that right?) no matter how all powerful you are or how infinite your consiousness is and that any event will cause almost an infinite number of possibilities and hence, realities, it becomes quite obvious that God could not have set this all into motion eaon's (again, spelling?) ago with a specific plan in mind, since every single thing that can happen DOES happen!
          Basically, you're saying God couldn't possibly know everything, right? Because of multiple realities?

I believe God is all-knowing and all-powerful.

Infinite consciousness = capable of following an infinite number of realities at the same time and capable of planning for them all. It's quite possible, since he knows everything, that he DID plan for them all. He can do anything, since he is God.

PS: Oh, yeah, Creation, that's definately how the universe came into existence, within a seven day period. I suppose you believe in Adam and Eve as well. :rolls eyes: I usually don't like to put down other people's religious beliefs but...jeez!
          I don't take the bible entirely literally (certain parts, yes, but not all). You've got to study the culture that originally wrote it all down in order to understand the way it was intended. The Isrealites were a very symbolic people. Numbers in the bible especially are very symbolic. Numbers are also the most mis-translated thing in the bible, because there's no easy way to represent them in ancient Hebrew (in so far as I understand and was taught).

Here's a few of the numeric symbols:
          3 = holiness/heavenly
          4 = earthly
          6 = 7 - 1 = less than perfect/incomplete
          7 = perfection/wholeness/completeness
          10 = alot (saying 10 years in the bible simply means alot of years)
          12 = 3 * 4 = heaven and earth together
          40 = 4 * 10 = earthly * alot
          100 = 10 * 10 = alot * alot
          1000 = 10 * 10 * 10 = alot * alot * alot
          etc.

Somewhere in the scriptures, God said to one of his prophets that a day to him is 1000 years to us (I can't remember the reference at the moment).

I take the 7 days of creation, using all the above clues, to mean 7 very long periods of creation.

And yes, I do believe in Adam and Eve. I believe the story to be mostly symbolic stuff about two people that actually lived.

Also, insulting people because of their beliefs in not nice. I was simply expressing my beliefs because I felt the discussion would benefit from another point of view. I wasn't putting you down, so please be civil.

You're welcome to think whatever you want and me telling you that you can't wouldn't stop you anyway (we all have freedom to choose). But please, being rude only causes people to be rude in turn.
          Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Coutelier
            To be fair, no-one forces you to stay in church for six hours... apart from parents when you're young. And it only feels like you've been there six hours, when in fact it's only been six minutes.
            when i was little, i'd say i gotta goto the bathroom and sit in there, cause the toilet seat was more comfortable than the seats... and for some reason u could hear the preacher actually preach, because they didnt have any mics and my family sat toward the back and you could barly hear him, but the bathroom whic hwas farther away had better sound lol.. maybe it was the vents... Anyway, I'd be in there for maybe 30 minutes and feel like its been 15 mintues...

I think it depends on comfort... I could watch John Hagee at home and it would seem like it was only 10 minutes, and then its over but its been like an hour, but i goto church, and sit in the seats and its like a 10 hour thing lol... probably cause u cant talk there...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Seems like Einstein's relativity would be compatible with church then
              It's the same as when Windows installer tells you "30 minutes left"... we all know how much windows minutes last.

Comment

Originally posted by Frumpman
                Actually I would say that they have quite explicitly denied a living religion: Hinduism... remember Nirti and well I suppose most of the Hindu gods would fall into the Goa'uld category seeing as they have thousands of them.

Religion is a very slippery slope when it comes to what you can and can not say. and I would actually want to see more criticism on all religions if any one religion is to be subject of debate on TV. What I mean by that is that if it's ok to label Hinduism false then so should it be ok to label christianity false in a fictional context.
                BTW Hinduism is One Supreme Being ( GOD) and sub deities not multiple Gods.
                Hinduism is Monothesitic no Poly. Nirti is a Deva.
                In Hinduism Deva and Asur are Sub deities noton the same level as the GOD.
                God in Hinduism is a Supreme Being that create the Creator ad Destoryer.
                Last edited by viper83; 11 August 2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I'm Catholic too, and it's truht, be Catholic is like been a follower of the Ori
                  sigpic
                  Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

Originally posted by mmu_man
                    Seems like Einstein's relativity would be compatible with church then
                    It's the same as when Windows installer tells you "30 minutes left"... we all know how much windows minutes last.
                    hmmm I dont.. because I've installed it 3 times 1 time it took about 30 minutes another time it took 2 hours, and another time it took 15 minutes lol... The 2 hours and 15 minute ones were on the same computer that had to be Reformated n such both times..sometimes u get the lag, sometimes the lag gets u..

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

lol, i'm catholic, and i haven't quite had that experience...

Comment

hi, noticed the creationism debate going on here and a large number of catholics hanging about, just figured i'd drop the word from the vatican on the issue.
                        The word from Vatican City agrees with credible science on this one and vatican astronomer Brother Consolmagno described creationism, as a "kind of paganism" .

Being raised a catholic i recognised the similarity between the priors and the church too, but for the sake of balance i guess I'd better say but I've yet to see anyone burst into flame, or heard any threats of intergalactic/interdimentional warfare, during my time there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasusc
                          I would like to take a moment and say that TPTB did have an episode about Christanity. Remember season 3's Demon episode?
                          I do and I actually enjoyed that ep. It was the first time they did a "dark" ep. I think they pulled it off, but its very tough to do christanity without ticking off a few people. I think the Ori are more of a Pagan type group.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

You know something, I don't care what other people believe, but I do know this; there is a universe in which the events of Stargate are happening.
                            Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Shadow Quinn
                              You know something, I don't care what other people believe, but I do know this; there is a universe in which the events of Stargate are happening.
                              Yeah, it could be this one. "Plausible deniability."
                              Mammals suck!

"Real men don't need inertia dampers."

Check out my GURPS campaign setting wiki, Islands of War!

Stop sending me friendship requests. I will deny them all, regardless of who they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Shadow Quinn
                                how do you actually know though? just because they have the infite possiblities theory doesnt make it true, as its a theory... perhaps parrallel universes only apply to certain decisions, as somethings are destined to happen./

Comment

Working...
                                X