Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SG-1 has stuffed up my church experience!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tell me when the bishop starts chanting "HALLOWED ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE ORI"
    SAVE SG-1
    www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.
    Say No To The Six Month Hiatus

Comment

Originally posted by Sauron18
      Err, is it a coincidence that there is a "Catholicism" Ad right below this thread?

Or at least, there was a minute a go....
      i'd call that a weird omen
      SAVE SG-1
      www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.

Comment

If you want to see relations to the real world, look at battlestar galactica.

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
          Speaking as a Christian, I'd say SG-1 and Atlantis have done a good job of avoiding religious controversy. Same with real world politics like the war on terror and what not.

If they got into those topics, they'd have a hard time not chosing one side or the other, which would alienate a portion of the show's audience. Niether of which can afford to do so.
          I totally agree. TPTB know how to walk that fine line just right IMO.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by The.Prior.of.The.Ori
            i'd call that a weird omen
            um no, it's Ads by Goooooole, which places ads that match the content of threads

Comment

Originally posted by cooky
              Except that targeting Christianity would probly have a very bad effect on US ratings. Something like 80 percent of americans claim to be Christian. Though the actually number is probly far less than that, alot of people who whatch stargate now might take offense if their religion was specifically targeted like that.
              Yes of course I understand that, I'm just saying that it is slightly hypocritical in a sense that it is ok to debass Hindu gods (and Shinto gods for that matter which are also a part of a living religion) but not the christian god, in a perfect world both would be considered ok if maybe a little... unneccesary shall we say, if it was ok to do it to any religion.
              I mean the fact is that no religion is essentially more right than any other religion which is why religious debates are often so ridiculous and also so extremely infected.
              but another point though is perhaps that it's not so much targeting the actual religion as much as the spokesperson like essentially targetting the pope and what he stands for, and what he says and so on, not so much the actual dogma and religion itself...
              anyways I'm rambling sorry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Coutelier
                To be fair, no-one forces you to stay in church for six hours... apart from parents when you're young. And it only feels like you've been there six hours, when in fact it's only been six minutes.
                Tell that to the puritans.

Comment

And lets face it... what makes the Ori any less real than the Catholic, Protestant or Muslim idea of God?
                  Son, do you know what colour this phone is?
                  - General Hammond

Comment

Originally posted by KoshNaranek
                    as a good catholic, i went to the confirmation ceremony for my 12-year-old cousin last night. at the ceremony was the bishop. the bishop was holding a big vertical staff. then he started reading. and then we had to kneel to pray. and then i thought geez i'm prostrating to the prior with the staff as the prior is reading from the book of origin lol, and then then started the prayer "our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be... the ori!"

LOL! I'm a good Catholic too--now, you realize, this is going to stay in my head everytime I go to church.

.....I won't talk about the sermons that used to have Farscape ramifications (obsessed? Me?)

Comment

Originally posted by Frumpman
                      Yes of course I understand that, I'm just saying that it is slightly hypocritical in a sense that it is ok to debass Hindu gods (and Shinto gods for that matter which are also a part of a living religion) but not the christian god, in a perfect world both would be considered ok if maybe a little... unneccesary shall we say, if it was ok to do it to any religion.
                      Hypocritical maybe, but in this case, it isn't about religion, it is about buisiness. The percentage of Hindu and Shinto people who watch Stargate is minimal at best. The percentage of Christians who watch is much bigger. Look what happened with Da Vinci Code. The author never once claimed it had any bassis in fact, and said specifically that is was fiction, but the Christian community all but boycot the movie and book. (on a side note, it was a good movie, and this is a Christian talking)

I mean the fact is that no religion is essentially more right than any other religion which is why religious debates are often so ridiculous and also so extremely infected.
                      Anyone who believes that doesn't have much faith in their own beliefs. I believe that Christianity is true, and that no other religion is. Doesn't mean I try to pound my faith into other people though, and it is unfortunate that some Christians do. Every major religion is the same, they all think they're right and everyone else is wrong. It is part of the gig, so to speak, and it is the reason why religions have such a hard time coexisting.

It is also unavoidable. If you compared the same parts of each major religion, you'd find them to be mutually exclusive, so either one is right and the rest are wrong, or they're all wrong, and humanity is just insane.

I mean the fact is that no religion is essentially more right than any other religion
                      I challenge you to prove that. No part of the Protestant* Bible, no matter how big or small, that has ever been proven false by science or historical records. There are parts that have been proven true through archeological evidence, and others, the majority I admit, that have no evidence of any kind.

This includes creation. Evolution is as much a theory as creation. Niether have ever, or can ever be proven scientifically, unluss we develope time travel and go back in time to whitness it first hand.

*I said Protestant because Mormons, Jehovah's Whitness and Catholics have all rewritten or added/subtracted to the bible that the Protestant churches use and I'm not familliar with the changes. Besides, if a religious text needs to be changed, it obviously isn't "devinely inspired"

but another point though is perhaps that it's not so much targeting the actual religion as much as the spokesperson like essentially targetting the pope and what he stands for, and what he says and so on, not so much the actual dogma and religion itself...
                      anyways I'm rambling sorry about that.
                      That goes back to the buisness problem. If they made Jesus an ancient, even a very good one, it would be seen as an attack on Christians themselves, which would be bad for Stargate's raitings in the United States.

I think I mentioned this before, but the history Stargate has portrayed would make Christianity impossible, but since they've never directly gone after Christianity's major principals (save creation/evolution which is not so unusual for Holywood), they've avoided the kind of controversy Da Vinci Code endured. Not many people can look at a fictional story that so directly condradicts their core beliefs and see just the story. They see controversy instead and that would destroy Stargate as a franchise.

Even if you see Christians as complete nut jobs, which you're entitled to think, seeing Stargate go down that road is a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by fortyseven
                        um no, it's Ads by Goooooole, which places ads that match the content of threads
                        if so why is there an ad for "fund raising ideas" on there now? dosnt exactly match this thread
                        SAVE SG-1
                        www.savestargatesg1.com

Proud Member of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Well if you asked my mother who went to a Catholic school, she would probably tell you the Ori are no different , you know those nuns can be pretty vindictive at times, you know them nuns and their evil hand smacking rulers

Comment

I mean, it would be kind of difficult to portray Christianity as a Goa'uld "religion" since the only tangible person who they would have to work with would be Jesus, who in general is considered to be a simple man, technologically and whatnot, with his miracles being in healing. There's not much to support an alien Goa'uld there. I think similar stuff applies to Islam and Allah. I mean, religions that are based off the teachings of a prophet are different than religions that have actual deities appearing to the people and 'living amongst them'.

Though I'm of Indian descent, I'm not offended by the Niirti stuff. She was obscure enough of a goddess to where she was pretty much negligible. I mean, if they'd done Krishna or something, there might be more to worry about. I mean, I had never even heard of Niirti until Stargate...

Comment

The Ori are totaly different than Christianity. No offense, but these Muslim extremists are starting to remind me of the Ori.

Dont go and say stuff is false without doing research. The reason why I choose christianity, is because the Bible has never been proved wrong. I challenge anyone to disprove the Protestant Bible. Notice I am not including the Catholic Bible, because theirs is translated with the Apocrypha, which is a collection of Jewish "folklore". I could go on for days about this..

Origin is MADE UP It isnt ment to imitate one major religion. The writers just took elements from many different religions, and put them into one. Anyway Origin is a polytheistic religion, note the "are" in hallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAncient1
                                Dont go and say stuff is false without doing research. The reason why I choose christianity, is because the Bible has never been proved wrong.
                                How about Genesis, we're 99.99999% certain it didn't happen in that way.
                                Such a shame that I wouldn't know by now your revelations
                                Cut me in, I don't wanna live without your revelations.
                                -Audioslave

Comment

Working...
                                X