This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bragi
    They had tea every Sunday afternoon at two.
    I don't think the question of what they drank on whichever day matters? Also, was Sunday even recognized when the Alliance was up?

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
      A stone castle that is older than the pyramids isn't exactly what I'd call temporary.

I don't think the place was meant to be temporary. The ancients are members of an Intergalactic civilization and language is a wacky thing on the show...everyone speaks English but writes something else. The only reason I can think of to write something so universally is to make sure it can be understood by many people when you're not around to translate. I'd hope that language would be a small thing when you can build flying cities.

My belief is the language in writing (not the hologram) is symbolic, like the flags at the UN. It indicates the different cultures involved while the information they wished to impart is in the universal language of science. Writing it the way they did removes any cultural bias any of their native languages may have imparted which is nice when you're dealing with "meaning of life" stuff.
      I disagree with the fundamental point of your post. I think that the castle was built to be a place where the races could learn about one another, but I doubt it was meant to be a place where they would meet regularly. Once they had developed strong ties and such, I doubt the castle was needed anymore, so in effect it was really a temporary place for them to get to know one another.

Though my point does sway to your second point, about the symbolism... however I think that it's also possible that it may be what those things meant to them after they worked out their langauge and such, and that until that point science and atoms were a fundamental form of communication, it's possible even that they used their own language in conjuction with the flying molecules in order to teach each other their own languages.

Comment

The Alliance of the 4 Great Races exsisited before the ancients left this Galaxy. Watch the episode the 5th Race the Asgard explains the ancients left this part of the galaxy long time ago. My guess would be after the Ancients left there home Galaxy they explore many other galaxies and thats how they meet the Asgaurs , Nox , & Furlings and eventully found Earth and established there home and explored our galaxy.
        One thing that is not clear is where did the ancient diesease come from.!st assumption would be that it Was the Pre -ascended Ori that tried to launch an attack on the Ancients.Perhaps at some point the Ancients tried to make contact with there brothern in there home galaxy to try and make amends only to recive some sort of Trojan horse that overwhelmed them. The episode
        WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY seems to suggest whatever happened to the Ancients hit Hard and Fast at a specific time.

Comment

Its entirely possible that the plague lasted for an extremely long period because Ayianna if you remember did not die quick from the plague, in fact from the way it looked its possible she could have survived a lot longer had she not been healing the SG teams there. So its possible that the pre ascended Ori infected the Alterans who fought long and hard but could not stop the plague. But if they made the alliance pre atlantis then it would mean they would have infected the nox and furlings as well so....

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

The plauge of the Ancients prob only affects humans. The Nox , Asgaurd and Furlings have diffrent phyisology than humans.It could be that the Ancients had a huge population in our Galaxy and the plague reduced there numbers until there was only a few and the unaffected Ancients isolated themselfs away from the others and then decided to leave our Galaxy.

Comment

Well the nox are still alive, "we" could just go an ask them to tell us stories
              Also The asguard are here sience the alterans were, i wonder why they dont have alteran tech, that could defeat the replicators fast..
              It could'a been an allience like "u wont have any of my tech, we just help you with it"

Comment

Sorry, have to dissagree regarding the Great Alliance. It must have been formed after the Lantians came back from Pegusas, and here is why.

The alliance were the ancients, Furlings, Nox, Asgard.

The Asgard's home galaxy is in Ida, not here.

Thirty thousand years ago, the Asgard used "sleeper" ships for space travel and did not have hyperdrive. See Revelations, episode 522.

CARTER: What is it?

HEIMDALL: That is one of my ancestors. Thirty thousand years ago a ship was launched from the Asgard homeworld, its crew placed in suspended animation. There was a failure on the navigational system and the ship was lost. Through the millenia it drifted across the empty expanse between our galaxies before it arrived here. We discovered it six months ago.

If the Asgard were using sleeper ships 30,000 years ago, and also were human form at that time, they were far to primitive 5 million years ago to be able to deal on the level with the ancients.

Therefore, given that the Asgard were members of the alliance, and also that they most likely only developed intergalactic hyperdrive within the last 30K years, the alliance must have been after the ancients return from Pegasus, unless there were ancients here during that time. Therefore the Alliance probably occured around 10K years ago.

Also, someone was mentioned trying to stick a time on the alliance based on the level of the apparent tech of the castle in that episode. However, in the Episode Camelot, merlin was obviously using an very old control mechanism (see Window of Opportunity, or Reckoning part 2). I think that they used various control devices depending on who may find it. If in an environment they were confortable with (Atlantis) they used advanced types. If in a premitive location (camelot etc..) they used a type that didn't look as advanced.).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Comment

Using that reasoning, it is implied that there was still some cohesive group of ancients left around 10000 years ago with viable space travel tech (or control of the Stargate). Perhaps Atlantis remnants who enlisted allies to fight against the Goa'uld infestation they encountered when they returned to the MW.

Comment

Originally posted by OriWillKillUsAll
                    Using that reasoning, it is implied that there was still some cohesive group of ancients left around 10000 years ago with viable space travel tech (or control of the Stargate). Perhaps Atlantis remnants who enlisted allies to fight against the Goa'uld infestation they encountered when they returned to the MW.
                    Well yes.

We already know there were Ancients around. whether they were a cohesive group or not is open to question but there were Ancients who informed the Greeks and Romans about Atlantis and taught them how to build roads. There were ancients, like Merlin, in England. There were ancients, Janus possibly, who traveled to other planets and built a second puddle jumper time machine.

Whether they fought the Goa'uld or not is unknown but they were definitely around influencing events and building some, however little tech. The Asgard were also visiting the Norse people in the last ten thousand years so they may have come across Ancients at any point.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Quite possible but also remeber that there's at least one stargate in the asgard home world and one on almost every planet in the MW. The anceints chould have supplied them with power long ago and let them travel to us here.

If im correct then the gate in their galaxy looks the same as ours which whould mean a close time laps from where they we're built.

Just my 2 cents

Gifts
                      -X-
                      --------------
                      Click Me And Win A Pie!

Comment

1. Intergalactic power source
                        2. I think the Asgard BYO Stargate's?
                        3. Nothing to suggest the Ancients didn't explore Ida a long time ago and even have a small colony there too. It's possible that they scouted various different galaxies before settling in Pegasus. Makes sense... checking real estate and super villain trends.

Comment

Originally posted by Prodigalson
                          Sorry, have to dissagree regarding the Great Alliance. It must have been formed after the Lantians came back from Pegusas, and here is why.

The alliance were the ancients, Furlings, Nox, Asgard.

The Asgard's home galaxy is in Ida, not here.

Thirty thousand years ago, the Asgard used "sleeper" ships for space travel and did not have hyperdrive. See Revelations, episode 522.

CARTER: What is it?

HEIMDALL: That is one of my ancestors. Thirty thousand years ago a ship was launched from the Asgard homeworld, its crew placed in suspended animation. There was a failure on the navigational system and the ship was lost. Through the millenia it drifted across the empty expanse between our galaxies before it arrived here. We discovered it six months ago.

If the Asgard were using sleeper ships 30,000 years ago, and also were human form at that time, they were far to primitive 5 million years ago to be able to deal on the level with the ancients.

Therefore, given that the Asgard were members of the alliance, and also that they most likely only developed intergalactic hyperdrive within the last 30K years, the alliance must have been after the ancients return from Pegasus, unless there were ancients here during that time. Therefore the Alliance probably occured around 10K years ago.

Also, someone was mentioned trying to stick a time on the alliance based on the level of the apparent tech of the castle in that episode. However, in the Episode Camelot, merlin was obviously using an very old control mechanism (see Window of Opportunity, or Reckoning part 2). I think that they used various control devices depending on who may find it. If in an environment they were confortable with (Atlantis) they used advanced types. If in a premitive location (camelot etc..) they used a type that didn't look as advanced.).

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
                          This is a good point you have made howevere I am aware of this before I posted. Just because the Asgaurd put there ppl in In sleeper chambers does not mean they did not have hyperdrives. Ther are 2 types of hyeprdrives Interstellar and Intergalactic. Perhaps the Asgaurd Did not have the Fast intergalatic hyperdives at this time so when traveling between galaxies long distance they had to sleep. It just seems that 10,000 ago would be kinda of rushed for an alliance time wise. Unless it was a last effort of the Ancients to share thier knowlafge before they Ascended to higher Plane with other worthy Races.

Comment

Originally posted by POW
                            It just seems that 10,000 ago would be kinda of rushed for an alliance time wise. Unless it was a last effort of the Ancients to share thier knowlafge before they Ascended to higher Plane with other worthy Races.
                            That seems very likely to me actually. Though I'd say more because it was a dying race... kinda like the Asgard for us now.

Comment

Originally posted by thenimf
                              That seems very likely to me actually. Though I'd say more because it was a dying race... kinda like the Asgard for us now.
                              I agree. We also have an alliance of sorts with the Asgard and that's been for less than a decade. So imagine how much we could accomplish in just fifty or a hundred years.

If I had to speculate, I'd say the ancients were leaving. They took note of how far the Asgard had come and basically gave them the duty they normally would have had if they'd been around; watch over the humans. It also gave them an opportunity to show the Asgard, and the others, what humans could become, just in case they weren't that impressed with us at the time.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
                                If I had to speculate, I'd say the ancients were leaving. They took note of how far the Asgard had come and basically gave them the duty they normally would have had if they'd been around; watch over the humans. It also gave them an opportunity to show the Asgard, and the others, what humans could become, just in case they weren't that impressed with us at the time.
                                I like this idea, but I think it woulda happened as the Ancients in Atlantis where leaving to escape the Plague, the Alliance probaly exsisted before and up to that point, heres what I think:

The Alterans traveled for "thousands of years" and came across our whole Galactic Cluster here, when they arrived they found three, fairly advanced, yet not as advanced as them, cultures in neighboring Galaxies, maybe the most advanced in their respective Galaxies, the Nox, the Asgard, & the Furlings, from the Asgard (who have been sending exploratory sleeper ships here for years) they learn our galaxy is fairly uninhabited, just a few primitive species at the time, they leave a Stargate in each of the other Galaxies so the other three races can reach them, and the Alterans first order of business is to start the network when they get here, probably first on Earth then the Heilos meetin place, and so on. Then the plague sweeps through, the Ancients either die, Ascend, or leave with Atlantis, but tell the Asgard to be ready cause they'll be Humans arising again one day, and then time plays out, the Nox end up leaving their Galaxy and settleing here (although it should be pointed out that theres no way to no if that world was their home or just a colony, and their city looked like it was capable of Interseller travel...like Atlantis) the Furling disappear, and the Asgard continue to send their sleeper ships to keep tabs on this galaxy, and chill for the next 5 million years, plus promising to keep an eye on use would explian why they felt it was nesscary to protect some world from the Goa'uld
                                "Your a fruitcake," Daniel Jackson to Vala Mal Doran "Prometheus Unbound"

Comment

Working...
                                X