S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JessM View Post
    Same here. I think some have even gone to blurring the line between characters and actors as well. I've met some shippers for instance who love how MS and CB talk about one another (well I guess mostly how MS talks about CB), and seem to think both actors love each other more than their coworkers on the show (like it's really important) and talk as if they want the actors to get together in real life. To each their own but I personally find that a bit unnerving.
    I've heard the MS and CB assumptions as well. I found it rediculas. One actor can't say something nice about another actor witout someone drawing a conclussion. Just imagine the assumptions that would be floating around if he gave nice complimants to ben.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    some do blur the line. At the end of the day, claudia goes home to her hubby and baby, MS goes home to his wife and children.

That's why fandom can be dangerous at times. Imagine being the spouse of an actor involved in an onscreen pairing....how would you like to read rumor after rumor linking your spouse to another??

Marriages can be hard enough to maintain, even harder when you factor in long days of work, then add in the attention the actors get from fen, some of which is distinctly inappropriate, and you can see why some actors deliberately keep thier distance or are rather strident about keeping thier privacy. They're people too, normal people that just have really cool jobs.
    Exactly, and Hollywood style couples, have it even harder. Thier lives are srcuienized in the media at every turn. I cannot imagine having everything I say and do turned into someone elses entertianment. Having photographers follow me around and take pictures to sell to tabliod mags.

No wonder really famous people buy thousand acre ranches and put up electric fences.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
      I've heard the MS and CB assumptions as well. I found it rediculas. One actor can't say something nice about another actor witout someone drawing a conclussion. Just imagine the assumptions that would be floating around if he gave nice complimants to ben.

No wonder really famous people buy thousand acre ranches and put up electric fences.
      I'm sure MS enjoys working with CB, but also people need to remember that it is called show *business* for a reason. The actors are expected to do some hard selling for their shows.

Comment

of course they are. and it is also not wise to 'piddle in the sandbox'

ie, you don't go and publically say 'oh lord i was so glad when so and so got killed off. Man, i soooo couldn't stand them'

cause you never know, so and so may have a cousin that works for a network and all of a sudden, you're not welcome at any productions that that network puts forth
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          some do blur the line. At the end of the day, claudia goes home to her hubby and baby, MS goes home to his wife and children.

That's why fandom can be dangerous at times. Imagine being the spouse of an actor involved in an onscreen pairing....how would you like to read rumor after rumor linking your spouse to another??

Marriages can be hard enough to maintain, even harder when you factor in long days of work, then add in the attention the actors get from fen, some of which is distinctly inappropriate, and you can see why some actors deliberately keep thier distance or are rather strident about keeping thier privacy. They're people too, normal people that just have really cool jobs.
          Too right. Not discussing their private lives is what we should all strive to do.

Comment

Oh, boy... *shudder* And it's ridiculous when fans try to turn it into a competition or something, like "Oh, since Actor A said this about Actress B, it must mean that he likes Actress B a lot more than Actress C!" Puh-leeeze. At the end of the day, does it really matter?

Comment

Although I know that S9 - S10 are bizzaro SG-1 and dont really count towards my personal cannon of the show I am highly concerned of how this bizzarness is leaking into "reality".

I saw SG-1 is going to be on at 3:00 on one of my HD channels and I was exicted to see what episode it was so I can watch it and see it in HD.

The description of the episode is "Daniel fears the worst when Teal' disappears". I am trying to think what that ep is..... I hit the more info button and it shows as Stronghold.

Now I know I cant watch the ep since it doesnt exist in my reality...but when I was letting the bizzaro universe touch my universe I recall seeing this ep but I dont not recall it being Daniel angst over teal'c dissappearance episode. Am I missing something, or did the ep morph into something else when I wasnt paying attention? Odd.
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                Although I know that S9 - S10 are bizzaro SG-1 and dont really count towards my personal cannon of the show I am highly concerned of how this bizzarness is leaking into "reality".

I saw SG-1 is going to be on at 3:00 on one of my HD channels and I was exicted to see what episode it was so I can watch it and see it in HD.

The description of the episode is "Daniel fears the worst when Teal' disappears". I am trying to think what that ep is..... I hit the more info button and it shows as Stronghold.

Now I know I cant watch the ep since it doesnt exist in my reality...but when I was letting the bizzaro universe touch my universe I recall seeing this ep but I dont not recall it being Daniel angst over teal'c dissappearance episode. Am I missing something, or did the ep morph into something else when I wasnt paying attention? Odd.
                Oy. Ye Olde Bait and Switch stikes again!

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I don't recall Daniel have "angst" over any of the SG-1 chacraters in season 9 and 10. Minor line about Vala when she turned into Alice and worked the diner.

Bizzaro seasons 9 and 10 was all about the "archeologist/linguist who cried wolf."

The Ori are coming, the Ori are coming...when they FINALLY came they weren't that bad--just lame.

Comment

no one in s9 really gave a dang about any of the others. I think hte biggest moment of caring (beyond daniel holding vala's 'body') was teal'c's 'colonel carter' in ethon.

i think that's why so much of the season is unpopular amongst some, it's an absolute dirth of emotions. and if they don't care, why should we?
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah they didn't even give Sam a real welcome when she came back. They copped out and implied they'd all been in contact
                      Spoiler:
                      while Sam was at Area 51. Her "when I spoke to you a couple of weeks ago" line. And I don't think Daniel's "It's good to have you back even if it's temporary" line was particularly heartfelt. The scene was mostly about Vala.

But I did love that Ethon scene.

Comment

Seriously the only angst I remember in Stronghold
                        Spoiler:
                        was Cam feeling sorry for himself about being so unthinking and causing the coming death of this friend.... just before he goes off unthinking and almost causes the death of a entire group of USAF people.

Oh and I guess Landry was supposed to be angstful in his "teal'c is family" speach. Too bad it rang so freaking hollow...I had to ask myself if Landry had even been shown speaking to teal'c in any ep prior to this one.

Anyway I guess I should be happy they called him Daniel and not JACKSON. But I just dont know why it is "Daniel fears the worst" and not "SG-1 fears the worst" or "the team fears the worst" or "carter fears the worst" or "Bratec fears the worst" or "Landry fears the worst" or
                        Spoiler:
                        "Cam fears the worst about his actions that caused the the injury thats killing his friend"
                        which was really what that loser of an ep was about.

Yeah, bait and switch all the way. When the show was first on it was touted as a Teal'c ep. Now it is touted as a Daniel ep. Neither of which is true.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

S9 had many (read most, cause I can't remember any that that didn't) episodes that made you go OY and actually cause your head to hit the desk or coffee table, depending on where you were watching But I agree there was no angst in there, everything felt hollow, well except for that Sam and Teal'c moment. And to now have them try to sell the reruns as angstly is nothing but laughable... Oh yea Bait and Swtich for sure
                          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

isn't season 9 when the show went from being concidered a drama to being a comedy? I seem to recall reading it was listed as a comedy someplace.

I cannot see how you can take a drama and make it into a comedy. However, that seems to be thier agenda.

Comment

I cannot see how you can take a drama and make it into a comedy. However, that seems to be thier agenda.
                              Two words: Market. Research.

"What do people like about Stargate?"
                              "Well, 80% of people say they like the humour."
                              "Humour...That's like jokes, right?"
                              "Please hold this stick."
                              "Why does the end you hold have 'wrong' written on it."
                              "Just checking."
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post

Ha - I think that's also the description they give for that episode on the S9 DVD set. I looked at that and went "huh?" I don't really remember Daniel angsting over Teal'c when I saw that episode. Then again it's been a while since I saw it, so there could have been some little look on his face or some line that was said some way that could somehow be construed as angst.... if one were stretching the meaning of the word.

I don't recall Daniel have "angst" over any of the SG-1 chacraters in season 9 and 10. Minor line about Vala when she turned into Alice and worked the diner.

Bizzaro seasons 9 and 10 was all about the "archeologist/linguist who cried wolf."

The Ori are coming, the Ori are coming...when they FINALLY came they weren't that bad--just lame.
                                I remember when they gave us spoilers just over a year ago for S10 and they said there would be (spoilers just in case)
                                Spoiler:
                                an angsty Sam and Daniel scene in Morpheus. I believe JM said this in his blog, actually. I'm not sure how "angsty" the scene actually turned out. I think Sam and Daniel worried a bit about each other staying awake, as much as their exhausted frames of mind would allow. But I wouldn't say it was as "angsty" as, say, anything from Meridian or Need or Abyss, or... lots of other eps.

I guess that's about all that can pass for angst when Daniel's angsting over anyone apart from Vala...... sadly.

Comment

Working...
                                X