S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    gekko left and coop was given teh keys. and he either didn't have the ability to tell scifi to bugger off (and that changed too, showtime to scifi) or he agreed with them and thought it'd be fun to have a sexy alien prancing around all expectedly scantily clad and pretty
    You know, we can rant all we want about Coop's inabilities as a showrunner, but truth be told AoT DVD sales proved him right. Maybe that's what the largest part of the fandom wants to see, and GW fandom is not an adequate sample of the larger Stargate fandom...

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
      At DragonCon this last year, Vanessa Angel (who is very lovely in person) said that she was originally supposed to be on the show for more than three episodes in Season 4. She was also supposed to become a regular member of the cast in Season 5. She said they wanted to create a love triangle between Jack/Sam and Anise.
      But then she got pregnant and couldn't do the show. I always thought Anise never returned b/c of the fans didn't like the character (and that might have been part of it too). I do have to wonder if TPTB would have carried out the original plan if she had not gotten pregnant or if it was just a convenient excuse not to bring her back.

Like you've said, I don't think the writers were too happy to have the character forced on them by MGM.

It also makes me wonder about what changed between Season 4 and Season 9/10. If TPTB didn't really want a sexy female alien character back in Season 4, why were they so intent on adding one to the team in Season 9/10?

Maybe it was b/c it was their decision, not MGM's or SciFi's.
      Wow! What a bad idea. Thank goodness it wasn't carried out.
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

but where were those folks when the show's ratings were tumbling like a rock?

I'm not saying that he makes total crap. He obviously makes stuff that appeals to SOME. But what he turned the show into wasn't true to the show he inherited. He took a smart and funny dramedy about a group of intrepid explorers doing the best they can with what they had and turned it into space pirates, stealing their way across the universe in an endless series of quests to find the latest plot device to solve all their problems in one spectacular scene if SFX.

we turned from the little humans that could, thinking and struggling our way out of trouble into a batch of galactic misfits, stealing adn pillaging in an effort to find a quick fix to the latest problem.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
          You know, we can rant all we want about Coop's inabilities as a showrunner, but truth be told AoT DVD sales proved him right. Maybe that's what the largest part of the fandom wants to see, and GW fandom is not an adequate sample of the larger Stargate fandom...
          It doesn't take into account how many bought it and didn't like it. You can't return DVD's you've already seen. However there are a lot of used copies for sale on E-Bay
          sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
            It doesn't take into account how many bought it and didn't like it. You can't return DVD's you've already seen. However there are a lot of used copies for sale on E-Bay
            Really? Then I fear for 'Continuum'. I don't want BW's movie to perform less then spectacular due to fan's eventual disappointment with AoT

Comment

Really? Then I fear for 'Continuum'. I don't want BW's movie to perform less then spectacular due to fan's eventual disappointment with AoT

I may rent AoT just to see how it is. But I will buy Continuum to own. I have no worries about BW involvement with this film.
              Last edited by LaCroix; 24 April 2008, 07:36 AM. Reason: buy, is not but. Spelling.

Comment

Renting is a good option or borrowing from a friends who has a copy. Hubby would just buy it out right but I prefer to rent. If it stinks, I'm not stuck with a bad movie...we have a few bad ones in the collection as it is...

After I rented the DVD (luckily before hubby could purchase it) he hasn't bothered to go get the film for himself. I guess it's not a must have on his star trek list.

I was gonna buy my daughter alvin and the chipmunks with her birthday money but she opted to waste it at chuckie cheese...kids.

Anyways, AoT debuted at number 7 on amazon.com, if I recall correctly, but dropped to number 22,25, ect...with in a week.

The movie sold over 500,000 copies in the US...includes places like Block Buster who buy bulk too.

Though 500 thousand isn't bad for a direct to DVD video...with the stargate franchise behind it I thought it would be higher to be honest. I expected near a million copies to be sold in the first six weeks.

I will grant the recession could be holding back people from spending 20 bucks on a DVD but as far as the e-bay copies...I would have to conclude there will be lots of DVD's in garage sales this summer.
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                  Renting is a good option or borrowing from a friends who has a copy. Hubby would just buy it out right but I prefer to rent. If it stinks, I'm not stuck with a bad movie...we have a few bad ones in the collection as it is...

After I rented the DVD (luckily before hubby could purchase it) he hasn't bothered to go get the film for himself. I guess it's not a must have on his star trek list.

I was gonna buy my daughter alvin and the chipmunks with her birthday money but she opted to waste it at chuckie cheese...kids.

Anyways, AoT debuted at number 7 on amazon.com, if I recall correctly, but dropped to number 22,25, ect...with in a week.

The movie sold over 500,000 copies in the US...includes places like Block Buster who buy bulk too.

Though 500 thousand isn't bad for a direct to DVD video...with the stargate franchise behind it I thought it would be higher to be honest. I expected near a million copies to be sold in the first six weeks.

I will grant the recession could be holding back people from spending 20 bucks on a DVD but as far as the e-bay copies...I would have to conclude there will be lots of DVD's in garage sales this summer.
                  I guess the brisk inital sales is one benefit of direct to DVD. SG-1 has a strong fanbase but I think alot of fans, like myself, lost interest in the Bori storyline. I personally think its a rip off to charge fans to watch the conclusion of a TV show's storyline.
                  Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

i think there's a lot of blind support going on. Fans that will buy anything with 'stargate' on it, no matter what it is.

things always start out 'fast' with anything like this. the real sign of success will be if movie #3 or 4 or 5 a) exist, b) sell at 500K or more
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i think there's a lot of blind support going on. Fans that will buy anything with 'stargate' on it, no matter what it is.

things always start out 'fast' with anything like this. the real sign of success will be if movie #3 or 4 or 5 a) exist, b) sell at 500K or more
                      I am all for the movies if they are quality productions, but if they turn out to be anything like the B5 movies, I am staying away. Great series but the movies have been very disappointing.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                        I guess the brisk inital sales is one benefit of direct to DVD. SG-1 has a strong fanbase but I think alot of fans, like myself, lost interest in the Bori storyline. I personally think its a rip off to charge fans to watch the conclusion of a TV show's storyline.
                        The ratings for the last 2 season's also speaks volumes about the Bori story line. There is a drop from season 8. I also think the movie was a cheap rip off to end the series. Instead of closing the Bori during the endless run of really bad stand alone eps, we got Cam's high school reunion with Daisy Duke.

The Bori movie could have been replaced with Continuum and that would leave another movie slotted for tptb to produce and make.

Stargate is a huge name...it was trusted...kind of like Nebisco or Kellogs. A new cereal or cookie hits the market and if it's from a big manufacturer more people will buy it, expecting it to be good. If a new cookie from a no name newbie hit the market...it flounders to get a base.

Of course, Stargate is not living up to it's name and that drives people away.

nebisco or Kelloggs would simply stop producing the product that bombed and go back to the basic corn flake and chocolate chip cookie.

Hopefully Stargate will go back to its basics soon, before the franchise is turned into another teenage boys action figure franchise.
                        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

More often then not that would be what would happen. Thats why one ep can be horrible but score high and then the next couple of weeks can be great but score low. If people didnt like AoT then Continuum may fail, even if it is a better show.

Though it doesnt matter to me, as the stargate universe has been ruined by the current TPTB and my only hope for it is a remake sometime in the future.
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                            At DragonCon this last year, Vanessa Angel (who is very lovely in person) said that she was originally supposed to be on the show for more than three episodes in Season 4. She was also supposed to become a regular member of the cast in Season 5. She said they wanted to create a love triangle between Jack/Sam and Anise.
                            Yee Gads! That would have been horrible. Talk about "As the Stargate Turns."

But then she got pregnant and couldn't do the show. I always thought Anise never returned b/c of the fans didn't like the character (and that might have been part of it too). I do have to wonder if TPTB would have carried out the original plan if she had not gotten pregnant or if it was just a convenient excuse not to bring her back.
                            Well they didn't let a little matter of a pregnancy stop them with Vala.

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                            Yeah some fools (me) bought it b/c they thought it might be better than expected. Nope, no luck there.

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                            The ratings for the last 2 season's also speaks volumes about the Bori story line. There is a drop from season 8. I also think the movie was a cheap rip off to end the series. Instead of closing the Bori during the endless run of really bad stand alone eps, we got Cam's high school reunion with Daisy Duke.
                            shudder

You know, I'll rewatch eps from S1-8 if I catch them on tv even though I have the dvds. S9-10 episodes come on tv & I usually can't be bothered. And as far as the ep you mention above, I may just run away screaming.

Comment

I think Continuum will do okay in selling because it has one thing in it that the AoT doesn't, and this thing is very popular........RDA!

With BW writing it, MW directing it, RDA re-joining the cast, lots of favourite characters being involved and, by guessing at the spoilers, it looks like it will be more like the classic Stargate episodes.

With all of this, I think folk that hated s9 and 10 and the AoT will buy Continuum, along with the rest of the fans.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                                I think Continuum will do okay in selling because it has one thing in it that the AoT doesn't, and this thing is very popular........RDA!

With BW writing it, MW directing it, RDA re-joining the cast, lots of favourite characters being involved and, by guessing at the spoilers, it looks like it will be more like the classic Stargate episodes.

With all of this, I think folk that hated s9 and 10 and the AoT will buy Continuum, along with the rest of the fans.
                                I think you're right. I just hope that Sam finally gets to be front and center for a change. Considering the subject matter, she should be. If Mitchell gets all the important scenes and dialog, like in AoT, I'm going to be upset. I can just see him explaining to Sam what going on from past SG1 reports he's read. We'll see.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X