S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    i'm still partial to 'major mitchell joins as temp co, when sam returns he has a choice, step down or relinquish command to learn from the best'
    I actually prefer Maj Mitchell given temporary command, like Sam had many times when Jack was away
    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

but marty stu's don't join in a 'subservient' position

they is the boss and the bestest boss evah!!!

so bestest, in fact, that all the nice experienced heros wonder how they ever got along without the Marty Stu

I feel for mitch, i really do. in different hands, cameron could have been a great addition to the show
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

from GW Prototype summary:

Meanwhile, Colonel Mitchell, Teal'c and Dr. Jackson investigate a hidden laboratory beneath the surface. Appearing decidedly Ancient in technology, they find a genetic manipulation device and a young man sustained in an Ancient stasis unit. Witnessing Daniel tamper with the gene manipulator, Mitchell presses a button on the chamber, which thaws and releases the man. Almost immediately he begins to convulse.

Maybe if they had Cam back into the button by accident, but pushing the button was just dumb. I feel sorry for BB, I am sure this wasn't what he imagined his character to be.
        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

cam fell victim to an 'illness' that affected almost every character, sacrificed to make a poorly conceived plot work

have a plot hole? just mess up a character to make it work
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            cam fell victim to an 'illness' that affected almost every character, sacrificed to make a poorly conceived plot work

have a plot hole? just mess up a character to make it work
            Oh, and have Daniel yell at him "hey, new guy!" Good for a laugh? Possibly, but it shows the new "hero" as an idiot and that the team have no respect for him. Hmmm...
            He wasn't too bad in the rest of the episode though, as I recall...

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Oh, and have Daniel yell at him "hey, new guy!" Good for a laugh? Possibly, but it shows the new "hero" as an idiot and that the team have no respect for him. Hmmm...
              He wasn't too bad in the rest of the episode though, as I recall...
              See, that one little scene just shows from the start that Cam should never have been considered to lead any SG team
              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

I liked that the SG teams were always portrayed as top notch officers & enlisted personnel. Makepeace may have gone rogue, but you couldn't argue his competence. Jack was a smart *** but he was also highly skilled. You always knew O'Neill took the situation seriously even as he used humor.
                Mitchell just came off to me as just being flip.

Comment

Oh lord, my hubby found out that the new movie is out now. he wants to go and buy it....*cries*....I don't even want to see it. I would rather take that 20 bucks and buy something else...like expensive chocolate.
                  Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                    Oh lord, my hubby found out that the new movie is out now. he wants to go and buy it....*cries*....I don't even want to see it. I would rather take that 20 bucks and buy something else...like expensive chocolate.
                    Could you tell him to rent it, and save some money?
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                      I liked that the SG teams were always portrayed as top notch officers & enlisted personnel. Makepeace may have gone rogue, but you couldn't argue his competence. Jack was a smart *** but he was also highly skilled. You always knew O'Neill took the situation seriously even as he used humor.
                      Mitchell just came off to me as just being flip.
                      It reminds of that scene in The Other Guys. Felger was admiring how "cool" Teal'c and Jack were. These guys were cool because they were good at what they did. I can't deny these guys looked mighty fine in their uniforms but their characters radiated confidence. TPTB didn't have to keep reminding us who was in charge of SG-1, we knew Jack was by the way he presented himself.
                      Last edited by Rogue; 11 March 2008, 12:56 PM.
                      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                        I actually prefer Maj Mitchell given temporary command, like Sam had many times when Jack was away
                        Oh please... The girl leading the leading MAN? Not a chance. Look at Atlantis S1-S3. Not a chance. To think I expected better.

suse
                        Last edited by suse; 11 March 2008, 08:02 PM.
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                          Could you tell him to rent it, and save some money?
                          I could...but he don't listen to me. I fully expect to see the box when I come home someday. (Unless he was hinting for me to buy it for him...then he will never get it. *wicked laugh*)

Originally posted by suse View Post
                          Oh please... The girl leading the leading MAN? Not a chance. Look at Atlantis. Not a chance. To think I expected better.

suse
                          Especially with a male character. Most marty/mary stu/sue do put thier character as the lead. But Males become the leads faster imo.

We see it with Mitchell and Vala. Mitchell was the marty stue for season 9 and Vala became the mary sue lead in 10. Even though Vala wasn't officially leading the team...she lead more of it than anyone else..in season 10.

Comment

I could...but he don't listen to me. I fully expect to see the box when I come home someday. (Unless he was hinting for me to buy it for him...then he will never get it. *wicked laugh*)

Especially with a male character. Most marty/mary stu/sue do put thier character as the lead. But Males become the leads faster imo.

We see it with Mitchell and Vala. Mitchell was the marty stue for season 9 and Vala became the mary sue lead in 10. Even though Vala wasn't officially leading the team...she lead more of it than anyone else..in season 10.
                            Very true. Her comments had more weight than the members of the team with experience in that field. I suppose because she's "sexy" and "fun". <<<GAG>>>

suse
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.
                            Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                              Very true. Her comments had more weight than the members of the team with experience in that field. I suppose because she's "sexy" and "fun". <<<GAG>>>

suse
                              Not only did Vala's comments suddenly carry more weight, she was smarter than Sam...who was the science genius.

Sam was not only wallpapered by Vaniel but also her IQ dropped phenomenally!

Vala was turned into the new, fun and hip "sam" IMO *gag*

What truly amazes me is how many of my tiny group of fanfic readers love her character. In order to write for Vala, I had to change the character into into someone else in order for me to stomach writing it.

Very few of my group know that "Vala" that I write is actually an OC, that I wrote before with just a name change and different hair color. lol. I get reviews such as "That is so Vala." and the thing is...it's not! I'm having my "Vala" do the exact same things my OC did which TV Vala would never do and they can't tell. MY OC Vala actually falls back on Sam for the science. Avoids fighting with Daniel and actually is more along the lines a reluctant participant.

I also find that I always end up writing Jack in too. Story's not stargate without Jack.

So...

I could literally make Vala into Jack's long lost daughter and I would still be getting reviews along the lines of, "That is so Vala."
                              Which shows what a well rounded character she is...or lack of solid development.

Comment

Not only did Vala's comments suddenly carry more weight, she was smarter than Sam...who was the science genius.

Sam was not only wallpapered by Vaniel but also her IQ dropped phenomenally!
                                I know--it was painful to watch.

Vala was turned into the new, fun and hip "sam" IMO *gag*

What truly amazes me is how many of my tiny group of fanfic readers love her character. In order to write for Vala, I had to change the character into into someone else in order for me to stomach writing it.

Very few of my group know that "Vala" that I write is actually an OC, that I wrote before with just a name change and different hair color. lol. I get reviews such as "That is so Vala." and the thing is...it's not!
                                I'm having my "Vala" do the exact same things my OC did which TV Vala would never do and they can't tell. MY OC Vala actually falls back on Sam for the science. Avoids fighting with Daniel and actually is more along the lines a reluctant participant. .
                                LOL. Yeah, the *idea* of what Vala *could have been* is a lot more appealing than what she actually was. Though to me bringing over the character from that S8 episode--which I only know as PU (holds nose), and intend never to watch again--was ridiculous. Judgment impaired by hormones is my guess.
                                what a waste of Claudia Black, imho.

Comment

Working...
                                X