S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    you will notice that once gene roddenberry was out of control of TNG, wesley crusher went bye-bye, permnantly.

Rumor has it that GR liked the character and Wesley was his marty stu, thus even the producers that knew it wans't the best thing in the world to do kinda had their hands tied.

Once they were free from whatever control GR had, Wes took the quick road to nowheresville
    I read about that; Wesley is supposedly Roddenberry's middle name.

One possibility is that he was introduced with the intention of appealing to a younger audience, but when you've got a situation where a teenager is able to think up solutions and a ship full of Starfleet's best and brightest can't.

Imagine if Cassie had started travelling through the stargate with the team and saving the day, or if Teyla had had a precocious sibling in their early to mid teens who became attached to Sheppard's team, or if or that Jinto brat from Season One had.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Who was that kid on the original BSG--Boxy? I never could remember which was the kid and which was the pet. I wanted them both to go out an airlock.

I agree, ReganX, that it could have become too easy for Sam to use Jolinar's abilities. I guess I would rather be in the position of wishing we had a bit more exploration of that area than wishing we had never seen it b/c that's *all* we were getting at the expense of the team.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
        I agree, ReganX, that it could have become too easy for Sam to use Jolinar's abilities. I guess I would rather be in the position of wishing we had a bit more exploration of that area than wishing we had never seen it b/c that's *all* we were getting at the expense of the team.
        I'd have been more concerned with the memories - ie. Jolinar visited this planet before, so we need to..., Jolinar was studying such and such a scientific doohickey and I remember all about it..., Jolinar just so happens to have lived in this society a hundred years ago so I speak their language, etc.

Think Seven of Nine's Borg knowledge, but starting out on a smaller scale that would have grown to unbelievable proportions within a season because of reliance on it.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
          And we thought Wesley was bad on TNG.
          Originally posted by ReganX View Post
          I'd have been more concerned with the memories - ie. Jolinar visited this planet before, so we need to..., Jolinar was studying such and such a scientific doohickey and I remember all about it..., Jolinar just so happens to have lived in this society a hundred years ago so I speak their language, etc.

Think Seven of Nine's Borg knowledge, but starting out on a smaller scale that would have grown to unbelievable proportions within a season because of reliance on it.
          Funny, I liked weasly in the beginning but it did get a little to weasly oriented shortly after words.

Seven of Nine was another where I could take the character in small doses, then everything was 7 of 9. never been much of a trekki.

We each have our own taste, the other day my daughter was watching "spongbob squarpants" and she stated out of nowehere, "I don't like Squidward."

My reply, "Squidqward is the only character I like on that mind numbing show."

Squidward is the ultimate Anti...he hates everything.

Anyways, Mitchell did have lots of potential but he wasted as the marty stu.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I agree that it was a good thing they didn't overdo the Jolinar aspect of Sam's character. But then what did they do when they brought Vala in...they seemed to give her all of Sam's abilities, including the over use of the healing device (and don't get me started on her fixing the ship by just shoving any piece of tech anywhere )
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              I agree that it was a good thing they didn't overdo the Jolinar aspect of Sam's character. But then what did they do when they brought Vala in...they seemed to give her all of Sam's abilities, including the over use of the healing device (and don't get me started on her fixing the ship by just shoving any piece of tech anywhere )
              And how annoying was that?

Comment

And how annoying was that?
                Too annoying for words. At least ones that are useable in GW.

But it's all okay, because Vala is "sexy" and "fun" and it's okay to bypass what has worked for 8 years for that...

suse
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                  Too annoying for words. At least ones that are useable in GW.

But it's all okay, because Vala is "sexy" and "fun" and it's okay to bypass what has worked for 8 years for that...

suse
                  Except, of course, when it gets you cancelled.

Comment

Except, of course, when it gets you cancelled.
                    Nope, it's the fans that got it canceled, duh. We didn't keep the ratings high enough, us poor ungrateful little slobs.
                    Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                    http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                      Nope, it's the fans that got it canceled, duh. We didn't keep the ratings high enough, us poor ungrateful little slobs.
                      Yet it does give me a little flame of faith in humanity.
                      Though then I see network TV and that flame is quickly extinguished .
                      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

SG-1 wasn't canceled....It was non renewed!

It wasn't the ratings that caused the...non renewal...it was those over paid cast, crew and writer.

according tptb, us ungrateful little lemmings, don't know a high quality comedy that is disguised as a science fiction show if it bit us in the asses.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                          Yet it does give me a little flame of faith in humanity.
                          Though then I see network TV and that flame is quickly extinguished .

The only reason the TV is on in my home is to let my daughter watch PBS or for all of us to watch DVDs (usually classic SG-1 or Signing Time for the little one).
                          Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
                          http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

True. There were a few times I even rolled my eyes at Teal'c's always understanding "an obscure Goa'uld dialect."

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                              SG-1 wasn't canceled....It was non renewed!

It wasn't the ratings that caused the...non renewal...it was those over paid cast, crew and writer.

according tptb, us ungrateful little lemmings, don't know a high quality comedy that is disguised as a science fiction show if it bit us in the asses.
                              I'd know a "high quality comedy" when I saw it. I also recognize crap for what it is.

Guess which category Seasons Nine and Ten of SG-1 fall into?

Comment

I'd know a "high quality comedy" when I saw it. I also recognize crap for what it is.

Guess which category Seasons Nine and Ten of SG-1 fall into?
                                Gee, that's a tough-ie. Um...I will go....wiiiittthhhh...crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X