S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
    The press release announced Woolsey as the new leader of SGA as well as Danel being in a few episodes
    I knew he would have a bright future!
    at least he's not as stuborn & stupid as other bureaucratic annoying jerks...
    and he could help in Sick bay!
    "State the nature of the Stargate emergency" everytime there is an incoming wormhole...

Comment

Really, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Woolsey in the hot seat. He's proven to be a sympathetic character, and more than a cliche government stooge. He may even bring back some of the potential that Weir lost, having a civilian in charge. I'd still prefer Weir, but I do like Picardo's work, and the character.

Still, please none of the S9/S10 silliness, please? And yes, bring back the real Daniel.
      Tilting windmills since... well... too long ago to remember...

sigpic

My portfolio and repository:
      http://z13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/

Comment

I guess I am not as annoyed by the Woosley thing as others. I was expecting much worse. At least Woosley has a backstory and was brought in when writing was still decent. As long as they honor the cannon then he should be a fairly respectable administrator. He wont really have to be a leader because, as it was with Weir, he will have no real control over Sheppard in military situations and Mckay will probably just ignore him. The character can be minimized, like Carter was this year (due to scheduling) without many people complaining I think.

I hope that when Daniel comes to Atlantis it is as Daniel and not JACKSON. In fact, I hope for no mention of S9-S10 character or incidents. They can forget about the Ori the same way that Voyager forgot about their initial trip into Trans-warp. Shows do that type of thing all the time, just quietly move away from the bad storyline.

They have a chance to redeem Daniel's cannon. I hope they do it. I also hope they dont trash Carters by having her run off to get married or something lame like that but instead give her a "better" command. We will see though, I really dont have much faith in TPTB and will expect the worst.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
          I also hope they dont trash Carters by having her run off to get married or something lame like that but instead give her a "better" command.
          Those aren't mutually exclusive options, by the way. Oh, and it's "canon", one "n".

I agree with you on Carter not fading into obscurity. She seemed to like working at Area 51, so she could be the commander there.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry, I felt the Area 51 excuse in S9 was LAME and would prefer not to revist it. How weak the character would look to craw back to a previous civilian command after being robbed of her SG-1 command and being sent back to it at a lower position to an unqualified leader, and now removed from her SGA command to be replaced with a less qualified leader.

No this move would have to be something BETTER and different. Though, like I said, I dont hold out much hope. The stargate universe has been so damaged in the last few years I am not sure a good end is even possible. I would say anything would be better then having her run off with Jack or having her killed, but just removing her from command with a lame excuse AGAIN would be just as bad.

feel free to spot the spelling errors, as I did not spellcheck
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Well, I didn't see the Area 51 thing as an excuse so much as a logical place for her to go. She is one of the foremost scientists in the system. Jack being promoted into obscurity made sense, since that's the administrative route and command track. Carter has always been more of a scientist. She can handle command, definitely, but she's almost always more valuable for her scientific abilities.

Maybe that's just the pigeonhole for the character talking, though. I wouldn't oppose her taking over some other military place. I just naturally think of her in a scientific position.

Still, that's just the idea of Area 51 that I liked. I do think you're right, it wasn't handled well in S9. *shrug*

sigpic

Comment

My ideal excuse would be Sam was called by the Asgards (who of course, didn't really become extinct), to help them in a very important mission, and that would be seen in "Stargate: Universe"...

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                  Well, I didn't see the Area 51 thing as an excuse so much as a logical place for her to go. She is one of the foremost scientists in the system. Jack being promoted into obscurity made sense, since that's the administrative route and command track. Carter has always been more of a scientist. She can handle command, definitely, but she's almost always more valuable for her scientific abilities.

Maybe that's just the pigeonhole for the character talking, though. I wouldn't oppose her taking over some other military place. I just naturally think of her in a scientific position.

Still, that's just the idea of Area 51 that I liked. I do think you're right, it wasn't handled well in S9. *shrug*
                  Well, I guess you do have a point. Had the Area51 been anything other then a cheap way to get Cam in command I guess I wouldnt dislike it so much.

Still Carter had wanted to be in NASA. Would she really want to be locked into a facility in the middle of a desert on earth when she could be exploring the galaxy. Serving as a Liason to and working as an ambassador on some alien planet...learning about technology first hand. Or continuing in her role as LEADER of SG-1 or at least one of the scientific SG teams.

Head of the SGC would be nice.....but shes not a general....but the SGC could be mothballed in favor of a new international Gate base which she could be put in charge of. Or command of a ship could work....though I have distaste for the ships overriding the Stargate in the Stargate universe. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                    Still Carter had wanted to be in NASA. Would she really want to be locked into a facility in the middle of a desert on earth when she could be exploring the galaxy.
                    True, true. I forgot about the NASA part. Still, that's exploration, rather than military. She's capable of both, but where does her heart really lie?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Silverwings View Post
                      True, true. I forgot about the NASA part. Still, that's exploration, rather than military. She's capable of both, but where does her heart really lie?
                      I'd say her heart lies in being able to do both. Some people seem t ignore the career military side of Sam and only see the brilliant scientist. I see both and I'd think that Sam does too.
                      -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                        I'd say her heart lies in being able to do both. Some people seem t ignore the career military side of Sam and only see the brilliant scientist. I see both and I'd think that Sam does too.
                        Most definitely, Sam is more than just one or the other, she is a complex character who can do both
                        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Who knows, maybe she wanted to become a shuttle commander at NASA? If she wanted to just be a scientist that went into space, she wouldn't have had to join the Air Force and learn how to pilot air craft to do that. From what I recall, most of the scientists that go on NASA missions are not members of the Air Force. The shuttle commander and pilot usually are, however. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with Mandy and RoX. If science and exploration were her first and main love, she could've quit the Air Force years ago to focus more on that. If she were mainly interested in the military and command, her eyes wouldn't still light up every time she gets to solve a scientific problem. They are both part of who she is and I think her heart lies in both areas fairly equally.

That's why the Area 51 command always seemed a bit off to me. Sam likes the adventure and action of being on a SG team. Being at the SGC also allowed her to have access to all sorts of cool technology and solve scientific problems at the same time. I don't think she would have left the SGC for Area 51 unless she had a very good reason (like Cassie) and I don't think she could ever be happy there in the long run. In contrast, I think she could have been very happy working in Atlantis for the long run b/c like the SGC she gets the best of both worlds.

I can't think of good scenario for Sam willingly giving up her command of Atlantis. I have a sneaking feeling that the IOA is going to kick her out so they can put their own guy in charge. I hope TPTB will tell us where Sam ends up and that they provide a logical reason for her replacement. I think she will probably either go back to the SGC or maybe they will give her command of a ship (Perhaps the Odyssey? ).

Then Sam and Thor could sail into the sunset and finally be together forever.

Comment

I can't think of another more meaningful position for sam after atlantis other than leading SGC. However I don't think they're willing to give up Landry yet. I see Commanding a ship even if it's Oddyssey as a demotion.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
                              I agree with Mandy and RoX. If science and exploration were her first and main love, she could've quit the Air Force years ago to focus more on that. If she were mainly interested in the military and command, her eyes wouldn't still light up every time she gets to solve a scientific problem. They are both part of who she is and I think her heart lies in both areas fairly equally.

That's why the Area 51 command always seemed a bit off to me. Sam likes the adventure and action of being on a SG team. Being at the SGC also allowed her to have access to all sorts of cool technology and solve scientific problems at the same time. I don't think she would have left the SGC for Area 51 unless she had a very good reason (like Cassie) and I don't think she could ever be happy there in the long run. In contrast, I think she could have been very happy working in Atlantis for the long run b/c like the SGC she gets the best of both worlds.

I can't think of good scenario for Sam willingly giving up her command of Atlantis. I have a sneaking feeling that the IOA is going to kick her out so they can put their own guy in charge. I hope TPTB will tell us where Sam ends up and that they provide a logical reason for her replacement. I think she will probably either go back to the SGC or maybe they will give her command of a ship (Perhaps the Odyssey? ).

Then Sam and Thor could sail into the sunset and finally be together forever.

I disagree to me it seems like those were more her passion than military IMHO it was always what she got up for emotionally. Not that she didn't take pride in her military career because she always did but IMHO she was more passionate about her scientific work than in her military service where she wasn't always assertive unlike her scientific work where she was very assertive and will speak up for and fight for. I agree with Silver Wings I think the command of Area 51 was logical and in character for Sam and where I would like Sam to end up in my mind because I think it would be easier for Sam to be in future movies.

You all were talking about Company of Thieves earlier this was not one of my favorites I really felt bad for BB this and Bounty.
                              sigpic
                              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                                I can't think of another more meaningful position for sam after atlantis other than leading SGC. However I don't think they're willing to give up Landry yet. I see Commanding a ship even if it's Oddyssey as a demotion.
                                That's the problem. There is no where for her to go that would be a step up from Atlantis. That's why I think she will be kicked out of command by the IOA. I think Sam is going to do something that will make the IOA mad and they are going to replace her with Woolsey. The Air Force then should give Sam her choice of commands. Since I assume Cam is still in command of SG-1, I could see Sam wanting to command the Odyssey instead so she could play with the Asgard tech more.

I just had a terrible thought. What if they put her back on SG-1 under Cam's command again?

It was bad enough having that happen once. I think I would rather have Sam willingly leave Atlantis to have babies with Jack than to have her lose her command and have to go back to serving under Cam on SG-1 again.

I like the Odyssey idea the best, even if it is not as prestigious as commanding Atlantis. Perhaps Sam realizes she misses being in the thick of the action and doesn't want to be an administrator. That would also make sense IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X