S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
    TPTB forgot what a good thing that had with the existing cast. As much as I love RDA, the show wasn't going to fall apart without him. You still had MS, CJ and AT. No need to revamp the cast and the direction & style of the show. And to mutate one of the characters. they forgot they had something that worked.
    They needed new characters; I don't think they needed a new star. Move AT and CJ up one spot each in the credits - they deserve the top two spots for sticking with the show all the way through - and bring in Beau Bridges as Landry (minus Lexa Doig as Lam) and a relative unknown as the young Captain Mitchell (male or female) to fill the fourth spot.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
      Landry's comment to Carter was unacceptable. Period. But I disliked Carter's response as well. Landry was implying a physical relationship, so why wasn't her answer "No, Sir," "You've misunderstood, Sir," or something similar. She's never been a shrinking violet.

Oh, yeah, it's that consistency thing again.
      Maybe Sam has learned a lesson I can never remember - don't bother arguing with idiots. It's a waste of your time and none of it is going to sink through their thick skulls to their tiny, tiny, tiny brains.

If she'd pointed out that Landry was mistaken, odds are she'd have got a "the lady doth protest too much" comment for her pains.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
        Maybe Sam has learned a lesson I can never remember - don't bother arguing with idiots. It's a waste of your time and none of it is going to sink through their thick skulls to their tiny, tiny, tiny brains.

If she'd pointed out that Landry was mistaken, odds are she'd have got a "the lady doth protest too much" comment for her pains.
        The simple answer is because Coop didn't want her too. Sam as a character stopped being logical in essence mid-season 7 (Pete story line) about the same time Coop took hold of the franchise...

Comment

To be honest, I would say that the fact that TPTB opted to bring both leads from a very recent sci-fi show onboard. In their shoes, I would have chosen one and stuck with him or her.

I haven’t seen anything of Farscape and have no intention of doing so, so I can’t say how like or unlike Mitchell and Vala are from Crichton and Aeryn Sun, but by bringing both BB and CB onboard, TPTB were putting themselves in an extremely difficult position; obviously, they wouldn’t want to leave themselves open to accusations that Mitchell and Vala were just Crichton and Aeryn Redux, but the alternative they seem to have opted for was to minimize their interactions – which means that they left themselves with a formerly tight-knit team which ended up having two members who couldn’t interact normally.

The result, as we have seen, was that Vala was chained to ActionJackson’s side and because with Mitchell often teamed up with Teal’c and Sam by herself – that’s not a team.

Maybe other writers and PTB would have been able to cope better, and treat the characters exactly as they would have treated them if two actors who had never been within a hundred miles of one another before were playing them, but unfortunately it seems that the Stargate ones couldn’t manage this.
          No, both would have worked fine. Both actors are very good and BB as well as CB have done work outside of farscape that is very good. They did tie thier own hands by not allowing them to interact, by making Vala into Daniel's arm candy, by placing Vaniel front and center and by having the Bori. Of course, TPTB threw the shows history out the window too.

If I was in their shoes I would:

In act a QC department--right away.
          Keep Vala a pirate and reoccurring character. Not place her on SG-1.
          Make sure Sam took command of SG-1 once she returned.
          Give Mitchell more substance and rely less on BB name for fans
          Calm Daniel down
          Do something with Teal'c's hair--talion never would have been released to the public.
          The bori would have a male leader who was not as pleasing to look at as Adria. Much more satanic in general. Bori weern't very scary.
          Tomin would have been a regular character
          King Aurthur legend didn't really mesh. I would go to greek or roman mythology
          I would close the Jack and Sam thing and let the viewers know that Jack retired.
          Make Dr. Lee smarter

And for the topper--I would have Sam read in the newspaper that Pete was arrested for stalking his new girlfriend.

Originally posted by silkie View Post
          The simple answer is because Coop didn't want her too. Sam as a character stopped being logical in essence mid-season 7 (Pete story line) about the same time Coop took hold of the franchise...
          Coop really dropped the ball with Sam.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

They needed new characters; I don't think they needed a new star. Move AT and CJ up one spot each in the credits - they deserve the top two spots for sticking with the show all the way through - and bring in Beau Bridges as Landry (minus Lexa Doig as Lam) and a relative unknown as the young Captain Mitchell (male or female) to fill the fourth spot.
            Yes, I have no problem with introducing a new character or two, but they didn't have to restructure the whole thing for them. Sam should have been in command of SG1. That it was ever in question remains appalling to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
              Yes, I have no problem with introducing a new character or two, but they didn't have to restructure the whole thing for them. Sam should have been in command of SG1. That it was ever in question remains appalling to me.
              Sam should have continued as leader of SG-1.
              The fact that RCC had to dismantle the team to get rid of the (female) leader so he could insert the (male) newbie as leader just pains me.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                Sam should have continued as leader of SG-1.
                The fact that RCC had to dismantle the team to get rid of the (female) leader so he could insert the (male) newbie as leader just pains me.
                You see, in RCC's shoes - assuming that for some bizarre reason I actually considered removing Sam as leader - the fact that I actually had to dismantle the team in order to justify, however feebly, the placing of the newbie in command would have been a hundred foot tall neon sign

THIS IS A VERY BAD,
                VERY DUMB IDEA!!!!!!!

that a blind person couldn't miss.

Comment

I would have been happier if they had just kept within the existing framework of the show. Adding Mitchell as the fourth team member and Vala as a reoccuring character would have been fine with me.
                  Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                    I would have been happier if they had just kept within the existing framework of the show. Adding Mitchell as the fourth team member and Vala as a reoccuring character would have been fine with me.
                    And with Vala as a recurring character, having both BB and CB wouldn't be as much of a problem as when both Mitchell and Vala are regulars, provided her episodes remained fairly infrequent.

Comment

And with Vala as a recurring character, having both BB and CB wouldn't be as much of a problem as when both Mitchell and Vala are regulars, provided her episodes remained fairly infrequent.
                      As written, I never saw the need for Vala as a member of Sg-1. She seemed more trouble than she was worth.
                      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

As written, I never saw the need for Vala as a member of Sg-1. She seemed more trouble than she was worth.
                        If they'd been following Stargate canon, she would never have been allowed into the SGC, except to be flung into a cell, never mind on the top team.
                        sigpic

Comment

As written, I had trouble getting my head around the fact that she was allowed on the team in the first place, especially given her personal connection to Adria.

Mind you, I still wonder why Daniel was allowed to join a frontline team instead of taking an onbase position at a time when the decision to include cultural studies had not yet been made and Daniel himself had made it abundantly clear that his motive for joining the team was a personal one. In Hammond's shoes, I'd be terrified that if he did spot Sha're offworld, he'd go tearing off to rescue her and get himself and possibly the rest of the team killed.

Comment

If they'd been following Stargate canon, she would never have been allowed into the SGC, except to be flung into a cell, never mind on the top team.
                            Are we to assume that Daniel vouched for her in "Avalon, Part 1"?

If so, either

(a) Anubis is very sneaky
                            (b) Daniel's brain melted into grey mulch and dribbled out his right ear when I wasn't looking.
                            (c) Anubis' brain melted into grey mulch and dribbled out his right ear when I wasn't looking.

Comment

Are we to assume that Daniel vouched for her in "Avalon, Part 1"?

If so, either

(a) Anubis is very sneaky
                              (b) Daniel's brain melted into grey mulch and dribbled out his right ear when I wasn't looking.
                              (c) Anubis' brain melted into grey mulch and dribbled out his right ear when I wasn't looking.
                              I vote for all three.
                              sigpic

Comment

I vote for all three.
                                Works for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X