No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Gee, what happened to the forums last night?)

Originally posted by ChocolateLovingEntity View Post
    you know most scifi shows have between 5 and 7 seasons and then
    wrap things up with a definite ending.

But I get the feeling they just decided to go on, and on, and on, as long
    as they had the green light and funding........ Not a good recipe IMHO

The more I think about it the more I think they should have called it a
    day at the end of season 8 and closed that off.

No Bori, no Vala ah, those were pleasant days.
    Amen. And don't forget that The X-Files had 9 seasons and 200+ episodes and they just couldn't wrap the show up before they had "beaten" it.

Honestly, I'd rather have 4 or 5 good seasons rather than what SG1 has given me in the last couple of seasons. Of course, when you love a show you don't ever want it to end, but it felt so off that it's impairing my enjoyment of the earlier seasons, too.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    IMHO, it wouldhave been better had he just made a whole new show, instead of warping an existing one into a parody of itself
    They should have gone with 'Stargate Command' like they had planned. But clearly, starting from scratch would have steered them from the 200 episodes goal.

I was incredibly disappointed by action Jackson. Being a linguist and generally a bookworm, I was a fan of the earlier Daniel, a little goofy, a little naive, but so different from his military colleagues. I didn't expect him to be that way forever, it would have been natural for him to be more confident, and more disillusioned with the universe, but it looks to me that they just turned him into a ****.

Vala lost a lot when they tweaked the character to fit her into SG1 permanently. First, all of her abilities. How come that one moment she's able to hack into a ship build with Asgard technology and fly it on her own and the next she's completely useless to her team?

I wasn't particularly happy with the absolute lack of continuity in her emotional development in favor of the lame jokes that seem to litter S10. Again, Bounty.

Comment

i was never a huge fan of daniel, simply because i couldn't get into that 'poor civilian surrounded by the mean military' mindset that many had about him. My emotional connections were with Sam and then with Jack.

but i did enjoy the earnest well meaning guy personna much more than i do mister shoot em up that became Jackson. those kind of cliches are a dime a dozen cause, imho, it's easier to write and act 'mister macho' than it is a male that's a bit more 'real'

as to vala...hey, they knew when she did PU that they wanted her back. IMHO, they should have written her - as they do every other character - as sustainable from the getgo. If a character is so badly written that they have to be drastically altered to fit within the tapesty of the show, they have no business being added to the show as a permanent character.

Write every character as if they are going to be in teh show forever.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i was never a huge fan of daniel, simply because i couldn't get into that 'poor civilian surrounded by the mean military' mindset that many had about him. My emotional connections were with Sam and then with Jack.

but i did enjoy the earnest well meaning guy personna much more than i do mister shoot em up that became Jackson. those kind of cliches are a dime a dozen cause, imho, it's easier to write and act 'mister macho' than it is a male that's a bit more 'real'

as to vala...hey, they knew when she did PU that they wanted her back. IMHO, they should have written her - as they do every other character - as sustainable from the getgo. If a character is so badly written that they have to be drastically altered to fit within the tapesty of the show, they have no business being added to the show as a permanent character.

Write every character as if they are going to be in teh show forever.
        I liked Daniel until he ascended, he came back a different person, one I really didn't care for.

The thing that bothered me the most about Vala return in S9 was that there was no punishment for her actions in PU. In fact, it seemed that all was either forgotten or forgiven.
        Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
          I liked Daniel until he ascended, he came back a different person, one I really didn't care for.

The thing that bothered me the most about Vala return in S9 was that there was no punishment for her actions in PU. In fact, it seemed that all was either forgotten or forgiven.
          You know I'm not anti Vala at least she was tolerable, However Mitchell, the co-command and forgetting altogether about Jack was is unforgivable...

Comment

"Continuity...we don't need no stinkin continuity!" motto of the S9 and 10 PTB
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              "Continuity...we don't need no stinkin continuity!" motto of the S9 and 10 PTB
              Nope all we need is fun, who cares if the storyline doesn't make sense.
              Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

I have found that Mitchell and Vala were so poorly done in seasons 9 and 10 that writing for them is actually like writing for 2 OC.

Especially Mitchell--there is absolutely nothing to the character that I can use from RCC in a fic. He is 90% OC in this fic...9% old daniel and 1% RCC's version.

I actually found a use for his "grandma" reference...he uses it to annoy the crap out of the bad guy.

With Vala I had back track and make it so she does account for her past and draw my own conclusion as to what her fears are. (In this fic a demon manipulates their fears to grow stronger.)

I also have to play catch up with Sam...because she has been neglected and Teal'c too!

I'm also having to develop Tomin and Adria...I decided Ba'al is a lost cause and he will just remain so.

I'm also having to back track to get Daniel back to being Daniel by exposing his fears.

I have found that the only characters I don't have to play catch up with are Jack and Hammond...neither one of them were touched to the point of major damage and their characters are still solid.

I also have discovered in this fic just how underdeveloped SGA is...I have a small cross over with Sheppard and he is a cookie cutter Jack. I don't want him to be just like Jack, but that's the way they wrote him. In the story I purposely avoid using Rodney too much because I just can't stand the character anymore. Drama Queen!

Weir is actually a solid character when the scene needs her. But she is just not needed that much.

Anyways, SGA had suffered too in the last two years but not as much as SG-1.

Mitchell is truly a Marty Stu
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Mitchell is truly a Marty Stu
                  all he's missing is the naturally curly red hair

sigpic

Comment

all he's missing is the naturally curly red hair
                    I thought this was funny.

Various tests, commonly known as "Mary Sue litmus tests" have been written ostensibly to help writers (especially inexperienced ones) gauge whether or not their character is a Mary Sue, as well as bring the "Mary Sue" concept to writers' attention. These tests list common fiction cliches and character traits that are also commonly associated with stereotypical "Mary Sues", ranging from questions on hair and eye color ("Is it a color [biologically] found in nature?") to the author's relationship to the character (including questions on whether or not they share a name, nickname, age, gender or religion with the character). Matching more traits results in a higher score for a character. Once the score is high enough, the character is said to be a likely "Mary Sue", to varying degrees of apparent severity including "Uber-Sue".

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                      I was just over on the Pro-Carter on SGA thread and I noted that I think I'm gonna miss Carter in the field. Then I realized one could even say she was Robbed of leadership in the field in S9/S10.

suse
                      Heck, they didn't even show her as an important member of the *team* in the field in their obsession first with making Mitchell the super macho "hewo" of every situation and then by just gearing every episode around Vaniel. She *planned* the mission in the S9 episode with Cam's dying friend (stronghold?). She was in command of that mission-- but the mission itself turned into Cam running off half cocked and single handedly rescuing Teal'c. Since when did they *ever* have *one* member of the team do it all?

Comment

I thought this was funny.

Various tests, commonly known as "Mary Sue litmus tests" have been written ostensibly to help writers (especially inexperienced ones) gauge whether or not their character is a Mary Sue, as well as bring the "Mary Sue" concept to writers' attention. These tests list common fiction cliches and character traits that are also commonly associated with stereotypical "Mary Sues", ranging from questions on hair and eye color ("Is it a color [biologically] found in nature?") to the author's relationship to the character (including questions on whether or not they share a name, nickname, age, gender or religion with the character). Matching more traits results in a higher score for a character. Once the score is high enough, the character is said to be a likely "Mary Sue", to varying degrees of apparent severity including "Uber-Sue".
                        Where is this test--I got to take it! LOL. I bet my OC is a Mary Sue...though everyone thinks she's a take off of Vala--shivers.

I also like to write characters that have split personalities and they carry on conversations with themselves.

I like to have a host remain in control and the symbiont fighting for control of the body--kind of like the ultimate control issue.

I've decided to write a mystery where someone is trying to kill Rodney. Rodney is hurt and ends up in a body cast--then i can torture him all i want.

Anyways, haven't figured out who is trying to kill Rodney in the story.

Starts with Rodney having an exploding tumor and it doesn't actually kill him--just puts him in a body cast. Kind of a spin on all the bad plots that SGA did.

Suspects would be: Everyone.

George Hammond actually solves the case when he is sent to Atlantis with Daniel to investigate--since everyone on Atlantis is suspect--the IOA ask for an independent investigation.
                        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                          Heck, they didn't even show her as an important member of the *team* in the field in their obsession first with making Mitchell the super macho "hewo" of every situation and then by just gearing every episode around Vaniel. She *planned* the mission in the S9 episode with Cam's dying friend (stronghold?). She was in command of that mission-- but the mission itself turned into Cam running off half cocked and single handedly rescuing Teal'c. Since when did they *ever* have *one* member of the team do it all?
                          AT said in an interview that the original script had Cam leading that mission. AT went to RCC and told him Sam should be leading because of the reasons you stated. So, if not for AT, Stronghold would have been even worse than it was.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mapsc View Post
                            AT said in an interview that the original script had Cam leading that mission. AT went to RCC and told him Sam should be leading because of the reasons you stated. So, if not for AT, Stronghold would have been even worse than it was.

Mike
                            It's just too bad their blinders couldn't be loosened more often
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

if the show runner just had half the common sense that the actors had, the show might still be on the air

sigpic

Comment

Nope all we need is fun, who cares if the storyline doesn't make sense.
                                <<<looks at Rogue>>>

<<<squints at Stargate Command>>>

<<<looks at Rogue>>>

Fun? Where?
                                I mean SGC, not Rogue. )

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X