No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to mention something about SGA ep Reunion here because I think it is relevant to SG-1 S9 - S10.

What is one of the things people hated.... that SG-1 broke up and that no one seemed to care. When you watch reunion (or just catch the little clip in this thread http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....60&postcount=1) you see something there that was missing from SG-1.

So does JM understand better then RCC? Or is something else at play? Maybe the marketing guys trying to sell the movies? I don’t know.

Seemed like something similar to that at the beginning of S9 (I wouldn’t want to ruin the great ending in S8) would have helped with the "transition" to "Stargate Command". I mean it still wouldn’t make sense to dismantle SG-1 in order to remake it in RCCs image. (I mean if you are making SG-1 why not just keep SG-1...but if you are making Stargate Command it makes a little more sense). But at least showing a little emotion about the dismantling would have been nice. Instead one was left with the impression that the OLD SG-1 was unimportant and all that was relevant was RCC's SG-1 (which of course was utter crp and has fatally damaged the franchise) Should I have hope that JM recognizes that all the characters are important and at least save Atlantis? Or is the stargate franchise just doomed in general thanks RCC just disguarding all the characters and things that made the show successful?
    Last edited by AGateFan; 12 October 2007, 02:59 AM.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
      I am going to mention something about SGA ep Reunion here because I think it is relevant to SG-1 S9 - S10.

What is one of the things people hated.... that SG-1 broke up and that no one seemed to care. When you watch reunion (or just catch the little clip in this thread http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....60&postcount=1) you see something there that was missing from SG-1.

So does JM understand better then RCC? Or is something else at play? Maybe the marketing guys trying to sell the movies? I don’t know.

Seemed like something similar to that at the beginning of S9 (I wouldn’t want to ruin the great ending in S8) would have helped with the "transition" to "Stargate Command". I mean it still wouldn’t make sense to dismantle SG-1 in order to remake it in RCCs image. (I mean if you are making SG-1 why not just keep SG-1...but if you are making Stargate Command it makes a little more sense). But at least showing a little emotion about the dismantling would have been nice. Instead one was left with the impression that the OLD SG-1 was unimportant and all that was relevant was RCC's SG-1 (which of course was utter crp and has fatally damaged the franchise) Should I have hope that JM recognizes that all the characters are important and at least save Atlantis? Or is the stargate franchise just doomed in general thanks RCC just disguarding all the characters and things that made the show successful?
      I just watch the preview to Reunion. (this does pertain to SG-1)
      Spoiler:
      I thought it was a warm send off. Too bad they didn't do the same for Jack. I thougth Jacks send off was cold and written as if TPTB really didn't care. It was something RCC had to do but had no interest in writing it. From what I have seen so far, JM has done a good job.
      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

i haven't seen the clip, and won't get to see the eps until sometime saturday, but i'm inferring what it is and it's possible that JM realizes that those 'silly emotional moments' are what fans crave.

sure, explosions are fun, boobs can be enterataining and who doesn't want to oogle a nice tushie , but such superficial stuff is simply boring without some emotion to go with it.

Those little bits are what gives a show its heart.

season 9 adn 10 had no heart. Atlantis might finally be getting its (bear in mind that, for me personally, beyond Lorne i have zero emotional connection to any of the existing atlantis characters. I know that others do, but it just never 'did it' for me)
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
          I just watch the preview to Reunion. (this does pertain to SG-1)
          Spoiler:
          I thought it was a warm send off. Too bad they didn't do the same for Jack. I thougth Jacks send off was cold and written as if TPTB really didn't care. It was something RCC had to do but had no interest in writing it. From what I have seen so far, JM has done a good job.
          I don't remember any send-off for Jack.

To me, it seemed as if he was there one minute and then he was gone....his name never to be mentioned ever again.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post

To me, it seemed as if he was there one minute and then he was gone....his name never to be mentioned ever again.
            Because there wasn't any. Coop was too busy with Cam and Vaniel...

LE: When Jack took command of the SGC and left SG-1, there was quite a touching and funny scene with all SG-1 members, where we can see how Jack's initial reluctance turned into acceptance. How come he just made up his mind and went to Washington to HWS???

SGC. DANIEL’S OFFICE. All of SG-1 are there.
            DANIEL: Maybe you should break it down into the pros and the cons.
            O'NEILL: I’ve spent my whole life sticking it to the man. If I do this, I’ll *be* the man. I don’t think I can be the man.
            CARTER: You’ll be inheriting a pretty big can of worms with the state of affairs out there.
            TEAL'C: If Ba’al truly is on the verge of dominance of the System Lords, we face a formidable challenge ahead.
            CARTER: Plus who knows where and when Fifth and the other Replicators will turn up.
            DANIEL: Here on Earth we’ve never been under so much scrutiny as we will be be now that so many governments know about the Stargate.
            O'NEILL: I’ve never had a desk.
            DANIEL: That’s, a, uh ...
            O’NEILL: Con.
            DANIEL. Con.
            CARTER: For the record, sir, you *do* have a desk.
            (Jack looks surprised.)
            O'NEILL: I do?
            DANIEL: On the flip side of the coin, there’s the fact that nobody knows how this place should be run better than you.
            O'NEILL: Why thank you, Daniel.
            DANIEL: With a little guidance from your good friends and advisors, of course.
            CARTER: If you don’t take the job, we could end up with someone much worse. (Jack looks at her. She cringes.) OK, that didn’t come out right.
            TEAL'C: I, for one, will miss you accompanying us on our missions, O’Neill.
            O'NEILL: Yeah, now, see, I’m not sure I’m ready to give that up either – sitting back watching you guys go off and have all the fun.
            DANIEL: Risking our lives in the face of grave danger ...
            O’NEILL: Yeah, that.
            CARTER: Well, I’m sure there’ll be situations in which you can accompany us in the field, sir.
            DANIEL: You’ll be in charge – you can do whatever you want.
            O'NEILL (thoughtfully): I’ll be able to do whatever I want.
            (Daniel, Sam and Teal’c look worried.)
            CARTER: Within reason, sir.

Comment

yeah, that scene was cute.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                i haven't seen the clip, and won't get to see the eps until sometime saturday, but i'm inferring what it is and it's possible that JM realizes that those 'silly emotional moments' are what fans crave.

sure, explosions are fun, boobs can be enterataining and who doesn't want to oogle a nice tushie , but such superficial stuff is simply boring without some emotion to go with it.

Those little bits are what gives a show its heart.

season 9 adn 10 had no heart. Atlantis might finally be getting its (bear in mind that, for me personally, beyond Lorne i have zero emotional connection to any of the existing atlantis characters. I know that others do, but it just never 'did it' for me)
                There's an interesting little bit in Alex Levine's blog where he mentions tonight's episode, 'Reunion'....

Well when the first script came out, one of the notes was that the beginning of the script was too much character stuff as the action doesn't start up right away. But Joe stuck to his guns, and I think rightly so.

I wonder who wrote those notes? Scifi? The other writers? I hope this bodes well for more character moments in Atlantis s4 which, as everyone here says, was sorely lacking from SG-1 in seasons 9 and 10.
                sigpic

Comment

Because it wasn't exactly a send off. Jack was there, he played chess with Landry and talked about moving, he went to say goodbye to Daniel. Which IMO was not a very heart warming scene, then the cockpit scene passing the battan. But it seemed no one cared at the SGC, no party, no good luck. I am assuming what was written was a send off but very cold.
                  Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

There's an interesting little bit in Alex Levine's blog where he mentions tonight's episode, 'Reunion'....

Well when the first script came out, one of the notes was that the beginning of the script was too much character stuff as the action doesn't start up right away. But Joe stuck to his guns, and I think rightly so.

I wonder who wrote those notes? Scifi? The other writers? I hope this bodes well for more character moments in Atlantis s4 which, as everyone here says, was sorely lacking from SG-1 in seasons 9 and 10.
                    kudos to whomever stuck up to the 'gimme action' idiots

action without heart is boring

sigpic

Comment

I think it's interesting to know that apparently Joe can stick to his guns and KEEP the character moments when it comes to his script a.k.a. a 1 minute 46 seconds
                      Spoiler:
                      goodbye scene between Sam and Teal'c
                      and can't include what I think would have been a less than 30 seconds "Trio" scene... SJ shippers know what I'm talking about...
                      Could it be that Trio is Martin Gero's script?
                      Hope we're not having in Joe a Coop 2.0...

Sorry for OT...

Comment

Because it wasn't exactly a send off. Jack was there, he played chess with Landry and talked about moving, he went to say goodbye to Daniel. Which IMO was not a very heart warming scene, then the cockpit scene passing the battan. But it seemed no one cared at the SGC, no party, no good luck. I am assuming what was written was a send off but very cold.
                        Oh, those bits. I just took them as badly inserted little scenes pushing Cam as the new lead of Stargate Command.
                        As you say, it was cold and unemotional. They haven't even officially told us what Jack is doing in DC.
                        sigpic

Comment

I wish I could green you and Silkie because you are both so right.
                          There was no send off for Jack in S9 because RCC didnt care about Jack he was old SG-1. The scene Silkie quoted was an awesome send-off from team leader to base leader. It was so simple, yet it was so important because Jack and old SG-1 were still important.

It sounds like whoever is writing the "notes" doesnt really understand SG-1. I keep thinking of the Overexaggerated director the Deluise played in Wormhole Xtreme.... BIGGER!!!. Its sad that Wormhole Xtreme was not so much a spoof as a look at what life is apparently like when you work for Scifi (or bridge, since I cant discount RCCs hands in such stupidity as cuting character moments...you want to cut character moments how about you cut the stupid soap opra ship, or stupid childish whining\fighting between supposidly adult characters?).
                          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Oh, those bits. I just took them as badly inserted little scenes pushing Cam as the new lead of Stargate Command.
                            As you say, it was cold and unemotional. They haven't even officially told us what Jack is doing in DC.
                            S9 started out all wrong and it didn't get better. There was really no excuse for the way Jack was treated in S9. It seemed RCC wanted to ignore all the complishments of S1 - 8. Even 200 was Mitchell's 200th trip to the gate. It had nothing to do with a team accomplishement.

Rogue

Comment

Episode 200 was a joke episode...some of it wasn't even very funny too! Puppets anyone?

Mitchell's 200th trip through the gate was like this little tag line they threw in at the last minute to remind everyone that Mitchell was still green and only getting greener.

The lack of Jack and the lack of utilizing his time for what eps they had him for was just so poorly done. Basically, they threw him onto SGA and ignored of SG-1. Never gave any closer to any questions about Jack and Sam, never gave any official statement in the show as to Jack's new job. And never talked about his either. Jack? Who?
                              Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

So was that 200 trips there and back? Otherwise he was averaging 2 trips a week, every week ...and thats if 200 was at the end of his second year. Gee SG-1 is busy... if every SG team explors at that rate then all the gate addresses should be polished off pretty quick.

I wonder when O'Neill, Carter and Daniel (I will skip T since he has way over 200) got their 200 and where their party was. I guess its with their CMOH's.

8 years SG-1 was O'Neill, Carter, Daniel and Teal'c and the 200 ep is a celebration of Mitchell with Vala being Dorthy? WTF...how does anyone look at that script and not think "WTF?".

Comment

Working...
                                X