No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umm, I;m assuming everyone knows about a certain guest appearing several times, but I still don't think it'll make a difference if i coninue watching. <g> Guest appearances don't fix writing problems..

But I'm sure it'll fix things for a lot of people. We'll see.

Suse
    Ms. Negativity
    sigpic
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse
      But I'm sure it'll fix things for a lot of people. We'll see.
      Couldnt agree more, no offence to a lot of the pro people, but a lot of them are posting "Wow, epiode 200 looks funny, should be great" no though for if the episode is gonna work well in the show, no thought to the fact that sometimes comedy isnt the best way to go. And then "RDA coming back, S10 is gonna rule" how quickly they forget that S8 was pretty bad WITH RDA, unless he has a magic wand even he cant fix this mess. You have to wonder how much they think about the show.

Oh, and for the Muppetgate version, maybe we could have a Furling marionette flushing a toilet ship in replacement for Gonzo's trumpet
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
        Couldnt agree more, no offence to a lot of the pro people, but a lot of them are posting "Wow, epiode 200 looks funny, should be great" no though for if the episode is gonna work well in the show, no thought to the fact that sometimes comedy isnt the best way to go. And then "RDA coming back, S10 is gonna rule" how quickly they forget that S8 was pretty bad WITH RDA, unless he has a magic wand even he cant fix this mess. You have to wonder how much they think about the show.

Oh, and for the Muppetgate version, maybe we could have a Furling marionette flushing a toilet ship in replacement for Gonzo's trumpet
        Actually, I don't mind the comedy aspect. Taking an ep out to have fun is fine. Just don't break your own rules about the Stargate Universe and don't have the characters do stuff diametically OOC. Adding to the character is fine though. I love nuances.

Loved Window of Opportunity. Wormhole Emtreme not quite to much, but the in jokes were funny. I see potential but don't think RDA coming back will cure all the ills injected by poor planning/writing in S9. Agreed about S9. Very uneven. Mediocre for much, but with sone gems.

Suse
        sigpic
        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

If Jack of S10 is going to be anything like Jack in seasons 6-8, I'd rather he not be there at all.

Anyway, I think it says nothing but bad things that they're bringing him back for ANYTHING. First of all, it means all those psychotic jackholes waging war in order to get Jack back on the show "or else" are going to claim victory- which means that once again all those hateful stupid damn "campaigns" are going to be justified- and second, it says basically "We're so completely screwed that we can't function without Jack." It's a ratings stunt of the highest degree. All the fans who have stopped watching because Jack isn't on anymore will watch the eps he's in and that will give the show the boost it needs to get renewed yet again and then they can all pat themselves on the back for being so utterly fantastic.

They aren't writing Jack in because he fits the storyline- they're writing him in because they need him.

I think it's a terrible idea and that it's yet another example of TPTB debasing themselves and degrading the show for the sake of a few ratings points.

If I thought they had any actual REASON for bringing him back or if I thought they actually CARED about him/RDA/the fans, that'd be one thing. But I simply can't see it that way. As far as TPTB are concerned, the show is just a money-making franchise and Jack is a way to bring in more money. That's all.

The time for caring about the integrity of the show and its characters is long, long past.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
            If Jack of S10 is going to be anything like Jack in seasons 6-8, I'd rather he not be there at all.

Anyway, I think it says nothing but bad things that they're bringing him back for ANYTHING. First of all, it means all those psychotic jackholes waging war in order to get Jack back on the show "or else" are going to claim victory- which means that once again all those hateful stupid damn "campaigns" are going to be justified- and second, it says basically "We're so completely screwed that we can't function without Jack." It's a ratings stunt of the highest degree. All the fans who have stopped watching because Jack isn't on anymore will watch the eps he's in and that will give the show the boost it needs to get renewed yet again and then they can all pat themselves on the back for being so utterly fantastic.

They aren't writing Jack in because he fits the storyline- they're writing him in because they need him.

I think it's a terrible idea and that it's yet another example of TPTB debasing themselves and degrading the show for the sake of a few ratings points.

If I thought they had any actual REASON for bringing him back or if I thought they actually CARED about him/RDA/the fans, that'd be one thing. But I simply can't see it that way. As far as TPTB are concerned, the show is just a money-making franchise and Jack is a way to bring in more money. That's all.

The time for caring about the integrity of the show and its characters is long, long past.
            I totally get what you're saying.
            Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
            The Strongest Will Survive!
            I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

Unless the characters happen to be Mitchell or Vala
              Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.

Comment

unfortunately, that seems to be true.

Unless you're a fan of cam or vala, as far as tptb seem to care, you just need to go away and leave them alone. because those new bright and shiny characters are the only ones they seem to care about
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by suse
                  Actually, I don't mind the comedy aspect. Taking an ep out to have fun is fine. Just don't break your own rules about the Stargate Universe and don't have the characters do stuff diametically OOC. Adding to the character is fine though. I love nuances.

Loved Window of Opportunity. Wormhole Emtreme not quite to much, but the in jokes were funny. I see potential but don't think RDA coming back will cure all the ills injected by poor planning/writing in S9. Agreed about S9. Very uneven. Mediocre for much, but with sone gems.

Suse
                  I dont mind a comedy ep, I was saying that if there is a comedy ep they loose it slightly and the quality of the writing and the maintaining of characters is lost so that they can get a few laughs. I hated Citizen Joe's attempts at laughs, as I did with Wormhole Xtreme. The thing I like about WoO is that the writng was good, and the characters were true to form, Hammond didnt accept what was happening straight off, Teal'c took it all seriously, Jack was his nutty self, and then in the final scenes, where Jack convinced Malachi to switch off the device we saw emotional Jack again, still showing his pain over Charlie, if every comic episode was done like that it wouldnt bother me that they are making this one a comedy, but Im gonna go out on a whim and say it likely wont be one of the good ones. This is why "Smile Time" worked, it was still Angel, the characters were themselves, ut there was the comedy element there and it worked. It takes, IMO a smart team that think a lot of things through to make a comedy episode, and that seems less and less common on SG1 at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                    unfortunately, that seems to be true.

Unless you're a fan of cam or vala, as far as tptb seem to care, you just need to go away and leave them alone. because those new bright and shiny characters are the only ones they seem to care about
                    Its a shame that theyhave screwed the characters up really, "Collateral Damage" Mitchell was awesome (IMO) as was "The Powers That Be" Vala (again, IMO) but those characters seem to be one hit wonders and we get the annoying versions

Comment

they should have just ended it with defeating the gouald.. this new ori storyline is soo boring.. its just like the gouald storyline.. i dont think vala should be in s10.. RDA coming back to the show might be interesting(some of the space battles are good, although we lost 3 ships).. but i really think they should have stopped it at s8, and continue with SGA and maybe make some guest apperances of sg1 in SGA.. some of s9 episodes were so weak, i just turned off the tv..

Comment

The problem with the comedy eps these days is that they pander to the lowest common denominator. They're all about sex and scatalogical "humor" and huge blinking neon signs informing us that THIS IS FUNNY! LAUGH! as opposed to the humor of earlier seasons which was more subtle and occasionally required you to have a brain in order to understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by renosh
                          they should have just ended it with defeating the gouald.. this new ori storyline is soo boring.. its just like the gouald storyline..
                          True, perhaps had they made it into a new show they would have been okay, and the story would have gotten more attention. One of the main flaws IMO is the fact that they are rushing the story, the Goa;uld were great because we got to know one, with a couple of others hiding in the shadows, but with the Ori we have been thrown in at the deep end, perhaps had they introduced the Priors slowly, then the Doci, then the Ori themselves in say S12 they may hhave been onto something, but time is money, and as Shadow said, Stargate is all about the money coming in, so rush rush rush, forget good stories so we ge the money in

Comment

I'm not so sure Bridge sees Stargate as just a money making franchise. I think they got overexcited about Mitchell and Vala and made bad(rotton horrible) decisions in character development and writing. Aided , IMO, by SFC and perhaps Sony wanting a Lead Male Action Hero.

Yes, I thnk PDA coming back is a ratings stunt. That may work. Though if the writing improves that's okay. I'm not holding my breath, but I'm keeping hope alive.

Though I wish the bring Jack back campaign wouldn't have worked.

I don't know why I've softened my stance so much. Actually I do. I haven't read a lot about Vala and Mitchell (except the - GAH!! - leadership issue) from the con. I'm sure I'll be cynical again soon.

Suse
                            feeling excited and depressed at the same time
                            sigpic
                            Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

I'm afraid I can't get on the "OMG Jack is BACK!!!111!!!" bandwagon in regards to the 200th ep. Yay for Jack, but his presence won't make a damn difference if the episode is horrible. Vala was all shiny and new but that didn't save TTTB from being awful, nor did her return salvage Crusade. Characters do not make a show great - great writing does. And the writing for SG1 has become worse and worse as the seasons go on.

Besides, Jack came back in season nine and look at how that turned out. No mention of what happened to Jack, a stilted conversation between Jack and Daniel, and some anvil "passing on the leader torch" flying with Mitch. His presence didn't save those eps from being mediocre, especially since his scenes were mediocre themselves.

The problem with the comedy eps these days is that they pander to the lowest common denominator. They're all about sex and scatalogical "humor" and huge blinking neon signs informing us that THIS IS FUNNY! LAUGH! as opposed to the humor of earlier seasons which was more subtle and occasionally required you to have a brain in order to understand it.
                              Heh, I saw your bolded text and immediately thought of TPTB using cattleprods to enforce their laughter policy. "Laugh, damn you! LAUGH!!"

Comment

Have a few mysterious reports coming into the SGC about teams going missing and/or worlds we've lost contact with and seed those in through, say, season 7. Season 8 builds to a climax with the more or less final defeat of the Goa'uld (with obvious people like Baal still managing to escape) and end the finale with Ori toilet ships parked in orbit over Earth and a Prior appearing in Stargate Command telling them to accept the Path of Origin or else. Whoever's in charge obviously votes for "or else" and a giant fireball consumes the room.

Meanwhile, SG-1 is offworld and trying to report in, but can't make it through- the gate won't connect. Finally, the gate opens and another messenger tells them to accept the Path of Origin, blah blah blah, or prepare to be "cleansed." When Sam asks what happened to the SGC, the Prio tells them "They would not accept the Path."

The Prior is killed (or disappears in a pillar of fire or whatever) and SG-1 decides to fall back to the Alpha Site to figure out what to do and how to take back Stargate Command.

End it with some witty quip about "Just when you thought it was safe..."

Comment

Working...
                                X