S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kazzyk
    They want to attract more female viewers???? This is how they are going about it? Really--I am stunned at their idiocy. Moving past the obvious with all the sexual inuendo--females are somewhat romantic and LOYAL creatures.
    Do TPTB have no woman in their lives? Parking AT in favor of CB is going to attract females how?
    Oh wait--I get it--the romance--its all there as clear as day. BB and CB = romance, or so they hope.
    I still find it astounding that they think the farscape fans are enough. I dont think I will ever get it.
    However, given some recent reading--TPTB do now know that they are in trouble with fans and it may effect the bottom line.

Do they care--NO.
    I was pretty much pro-season 10 till I read new spoilers for RDA's episode, anyway...

If they want more female characters, perhaps they should do some research. I don't think they do any research at all.

Now, I'm not against Mitchell. I happen to like Ben Browder and I like the character although they need to make him more even. Sometimes I watch one episode then another and go, huh what? As for Carter, I do like her but she's just become so... wishy-washy. She was stronger in the showtime years; on Scifi she seems to just regularly take the backseat to everyone else and is the polite scientist who will save the day with her intellect (I like McKay oh so much more because he actually expresses his feelings).

The thing is that if you look at most fanfiction, the bulk of it penned by women, it's all about emotion and feelings (some of it can be crap yes, but there's some great stuff out there too). I swear that the writers on SG are scared to give the guys (and even the women) emotions as that might make them appear weak or, if two guys actually sit around and commiserate over soemthing, gay. Emotion does not have to equal romance. Nor do intense feelings. This is quite possibly why BSG is knocking the SG shows in the ratings because those characters do have feelings and emotions. I'm not suggesting that SG be turned into a soap (gah!) but cripes, in the showtime years, you used to see some of that... like when the team thought Daniel was dead, when Jack was taken over by the crystal critter, etc. It doesn't have to be weepy in your face tear jerker stuff, and we now the actors are capable of delivering, but what is wrong with the writers??? Judging from how a lot of their human comes across, they are just incapable of mastering subtlety.

Comment

S10, well, its gonna get worse. Yes, the details for the episode that could well be the final landmark are in, and yes they have frakked it up. Wormhole X-treme has done so well in dvd sales they are gonna make a movie (not in the slightest bit origional, but they are going for that angle, I think) so we are going to get a follow up to the terrible Wormhole X-treme. Even RDA at his best wont be able to save this one.

I agree on the frakking up. I just had to read that the writers had SO much fun writing it and that's what theys aid about X-treme. I'm sure it will be a love it/ despise it episode.

There have been "rumors about the Furlings being considered for episode 200" which of course, some people think means, "we will see them, they will make us their allies and save us from the Ori and have us round for tea and bisuits with the Ancients and the Asgard while we do some stupid dare as our initiation as the 5th race" and now this comes up, I wonder what the movie will hold, a crappy attempt at making the faux SG1 of Wormhole X-treme world meet the Furlings? Thats my theory any how. *sigh* and I was actually hoping for a good 200th ep

I have this dreadful nightmare that the furlings will be the marrionnettes mentioned in the article.

Like you, I've written off the episode "200" just from the quoted material from the producers/writers. I was hoping they'd go for DRAMA, not more sophomoric humor.

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
        S10, well, its gonna get worse. Yes, the details for the episode that could well be the final landmark are in, and yes they have frakked it up. Wormhole X-treme has done so well in dvd sales they are gonna make a movie (not in the slightest bit origional, but they are going for that angle, I think) so we are going to get a follow up to the terrible Wormhole X-treme. Even RDA at his best wont be able to save this one.
        Damn, there goes my hope that s10 is going to be more serious and less goofball...

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
          There have been "rumors about the Furlings being considered for episode 200"
          thats probably the worst possible combination

i think its pretty obvious from what brad said that 200 will be another funny ep like WX was. if furlings make an appearance it means the furlings will turn into one of those comical races when i believe they should be taken quite serious despite the name
          - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

Talk of puppets (mentioned on this thread in past post in jest) scared me.
            But with RDA in some episodes - I will watch. I just hope those boobs write some decent material for him.
            sigpic
            Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
            My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
              yeah i still dont know whether or not they were being serious about that

but its good to hear that Rick will be back for some S10 and not just 200. might be like a danny leaving in s5 coming back in 7 type of thing
              - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

but, but, but wait...if the marionettes are the furlings, then we really WILL Have puppets added to the show

i kinda got a kick out of WX and i'm glad to see jack back...i do think it's the last gasps of a dying show, but there might be 1-2 decent ones in there hidden betwen all the sex, silliness an stupidity
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                  now i cant be 100% sure because im a guy, but I would have thought that females would respond better to AT/Sam because it shows that females can be clever, intelligent and attractive without being all sexed up like Vala. or have I got that completely wrong?

anyway, here are the final ratings for S10, figured that since I started it I may as well finish eh

SG-1 had a period of about a month where ratings were just really low, and things only really picked up towards the end, but that might be less to do with quality of the episode than it is the fact that it was the season finale

SG-1 S10 average rating - 1.8
                  Atlantis S2 average rating - 1.9
                  BSG S2 average rating - 2.0

to be expected no?

anyone know what the season average for S7 and 8 were?

Season 8 was 2.1

Season 7 was 1.8 (second half of season 7 was 1.9---second half of season 9 was 1.7).

Comment

Usually only do the broken quote when I rip something apart that I 100% disagree with. This time, I totally agree with pretty much everything.

Originally posted by prion
                    I was pretty much pro-season 10 till I read new spoilers for RDA's episode, anyway...

If they want more female characters, perhaps they should do some research. I don't think they do any research at all.
                    Re-- search? Wouldnt that require some prior thought before writing? That seems to be pretty rare at the moment.

Now, I'm not against Mitchell. I happen to like Ben Browder and I like the character although they need to make him more even. Sometimes I watch one episode then another and go, huh what?
                    I agree, Ben is an awesome actor, he played Chriton in Farscape so well he (Chriton) is possibly my favourite Sci-fi character ever. In SG1 every writter does it his own way, meaning his character is all over the place, in Avalon - Prototype he was great, the rest were (except in Collateral Damage) pathetic IMO.

As for Carter, I do like her but she's just become so... wishy-washy. She was stronger in the showtime years; on Scifi she seems to just regularly take the backseat to everyone else and is the polite scientist who will save the day with her intellect.
                    Ah, I was wrong, they did do the research, back at the start of S9 they decided to alter Sam's role, they have based it on wall paper, effective no?

(I like McKay oh so much more because he actually expresses his feelings).

The thing is that if you look at most fanfiction, the bulk of it penned by women, it's all about emotion and feelings (some of it can be crap yes, but there's some great stuff out there too). I swear that the writers on SG are scared to give the guys (and even the women) emotions as that might make them appear weak or, if two guys actually sit around and commiserate over soemthing, gay. Emotion does not have to equal romance. Nor do intense feelings. This is quite possibly why BSG is knocking the SG shows in the ratings because those characters do have feelings and emotions.
                    Very true, same was for Farscape (I keep bringing it up, everyone calls the show Fargate now BB and CB are there, I disagree, CB and BB in Farscape was actually good) The emotions of Showtime were awesome, Shades of Grey, Meridian, Jolinar's Memories, Absolute Power, Cold Lazarus, The Fifth Race, Point of View and Divide and conquer (among many many others) were all very emotional and they all worked stunningly, each of them being in my top 20, but now theres nothing.
                    I'm not suggesting that SG be turned into a soap (gah!)
                    Might be a step up from what we have seen of S10 spoilers so far.
                    Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                    - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      but, but, but wait...if the marionettes are the furlings, then we really WILL Have puppets added to the show
                      Animal of the Muppets? *adds a straw to the donkey's back*
                      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                        But with RDA in some episodes - I will watch. I just hope those boobs write some decent material for him.
                        Me 2!
                        Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver

i kinda got a kick out of WX and i'm glad to see jack back...i do think it's the last gasps of a dying show, but there might be 1-2 decent ones in there hidden betwen all the sex, silliness an stupidity
                          anybody ready to sing the Muppets theme song with me?
                          Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Comment

in case anyone is interested.

Spoiler:
                            - The Muppet Show Lyrics

It's the Muppet Show with our Very Special Guest Star, ...

It's time to play the music
                            It's time to light the lights
                            t's time to meet the Muppets on the Muppet Show tonight.

It's time to put on makeup
                            It's time to dress up right
                            It's time to raise the curtain on the Muppet Show tonight.

Why do we always come here
                            I guess we'll never know
                            It's like a kind of torture
                            To have to watch the show

And now let's get things started
                            Why don't you get things started
                            It's time to get things started
                            On the most sensational inspirational celebrational Muppetational
                            This is what we call the Muppet Show!

(Gonzo blows his trumpet)

Comment

Okey Dokey. First we have the The Ori Shark Baby that's somewhat like Jasmine of Angel. Now we have another Great Puppet Caper that I saw on Angel called Smile Time.
                              Last edited by LaCroix; 28 March 2006, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl
                                anybody ready to sing the Muppets theme song with me?
                                It's time to lock the chevrons,
                                It's time to light the lights.
                                It's time to dial the Stargate on the Muppetgate tonight!

Believe me, I've worked this whole thing out. I had Samuels and Maybourne - although I now think Samuels and Chekov would be better - as Statler and Waldorf.

"Why do we always come here?"
                                "What is this program worth?"
                                "They never bring us anything to help us rule the Earth."

The really worrying thing is that I thought the whole thing up at a bus stop on my way to hospital to find out why I had high blood pressure.

Of course, when I had food poison I thought I was the God of Friday, so this could just be a 'my brain' thing...
                                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                                X