S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astrogeologist View Post
    Just read this a Yahoo forum/list and thought I'd post it here for folks to view ('cuz it's right on topic)
    Spoiler:
    (RE RCC's latest interviewBut I have to say that
    listening to that interview gave me bad vibes about this guy and his
    attitude toward the audience.

With regard to the Asgard turning over all their knowledge to humans, he
    said the only thing the fans really care about is that now the Odyssey now
    has "laser beams," that is, energy weapons.

Regarding the episode "Unending," he said that the fans have always made a
    big deal about the importance of the team, and have emphasized how they want
    to see the team together, so he decided to give them the team being together
    for 50 years!

Now, maybe he meant these comments as jokes, but to me he sounded
    patronizing and ungracious. I got the feeling his attitude is to try to
    manipulate the audience rather than win them -- that is, us -- by respecting
    the creative and emotional integrity of the show. This gives further
    support for the things that have been said on this list before, about
    Michell and Vala being brought in to draw Farscape viewers rather than for
    any reason internal to the creative energy of the show. This is the kind of
    "smart business decision" that can end up being extremely stupid, like the
    Hollywood moguls who try to put a movie together based on their disdainful
    opinion of what the audience wants and end up creating a hugely expensive
    box office bomb.

<snip>

The reason I find all this so ironic is that Mr. Cooper also went in to a
    long dissertation about why they chose to end the series with "Unending,"
    which in effect ended the series without ending it. He used the analogy of
    what would have happened if Star Trek had ended by crashing the Starship
    Enterprise and killing everyone, and said (I'm paraphrasing) how killing the
    characters in the minds of the fans would have killed their interest in
    episode repeats and the franchise in general.

Apparently, Mr. Cooper doesn't realize that what he did to SG-1 in Season 9
    was like crashing the Starship Enterprise.
    Though he didn't kill off the
    individual characters, he killed the TEAM, which was the heart and soul of
    Stargate SG-1.
    Yes, Richard Dean Anderson left, and there was nothing that
    could be done about that, but the spirit of the team, and the relationships
    that existed between them, could have been respected so much better than it
    was. The two new characters, the failure to put Sam in charge of SG-1, the
    failure to respect the "ship" between Sam and Jack that had been established
    in earlier seasons, the way that Jack was treated as not just promoted to
    Washington but totally gone from everyone's emotional radar -- all that was
    just so untrue to the spirit of characters and the relationships between
    them. Even if RDA couldn't be on, couldn't they have mentioned Jack from
    time to time? Oh, I saw Jack when I was in Washington and he said
    such-and-such. And did we have to have the in-your-face insults to Sam/Jack
    ship, like the almost-kiss with Martouf in that many-copies episode, or the
    failure to so much as mention Jack even once in Unending? - post by LuzL
    Yep. The show has lost its charm. It was a show that had something for everyone. All I can say is the man is totally clueless.
    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Just read this a Yahoo forum/list and thought I'd post it here for folks to view ('cuz it's right on topic)
      Spoiler:

for 50 years!

box office bomb.

<snip>

Stargate SG-1.
      So killing
      Spoiler:
      off one of the most popular races in the show just to get useless lasers is not like crashing the enterprise? Killing Janet, Jacob, Thor. Forgetting O'Neill ever existed or Hammond? Atlantis does a better job keeping O'neill alive.

What good are lasers for a spaceship on a show about WALKING to other planets through the stargate?
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
        So killing
        Spoiler:
        off one of the most popular races in the show just to get useless lasers is not like crashing the enterprise? Killing Janet, Jacob, Thor. Forgetting O'Neill ever existed or Hammond? Atlantis does a better job keeping O'neill alive.

What good are lasers for a spaceship on a show about WALKING to other planets through the stargate?
        Ah come on, what do you expect, this isn't Stargate SG1 after all, its Star Trek SG1
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Shades of Grey was on tonight

Jack O'Neill arrests TPTB for dissing our Allies after all " We don't need their stuff. We do need them."
          sigpic
          Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
          My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
              Ah come on, what do you expect, this isn't Stargate SG1 after all, its Star Trek SG1
              Nope it isn't! Star Trek was better! Just MHO...

Comment

Originally posted by petemoretti View Post
                Nope it isn't! Star Trek was better! Just MHO...
                That really depends on which series.
                Signed,

Gregorius
                Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
                Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

Spoiler:

for 50 years!

box office bomb.

<snip>

Stargate SG-1.
                  Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                  Cooper has never struck me as the type who understands what Stargate fans like.

He's trekked to show to the point of no return. I get the feeling he has the impression of a Stargate fan to be, 15 to 40 year old male nerds who all know science and love cool new ships.

Long term Stargate fans are male and female, 15--55 years old who like the realistic appeal to the show. Stargate HAD a unique ablility to cross section a larger audience because it had both sci-fi tech, realistic military, strong characters with mythology embedded in the background.

Now, it's lost the mythology, the strong characters and the realisic military aspect and is solely a cool ship with big bad guys show.
                  Yeah
                  Spoiler:
                  I don't think he understands that people really loved the Asgard race. I couldn't care less if they got some cool space weapons and other tech, I would much rather have Asgards around. Sure they were a dying race, but mass suicide?! Come on!!

If he really thinks that people just watch the show cause of the tech and stuff and not the actual characters, the team, the story, the alien races, cultures, mythology and whatever else I can't come up with at this second. I think he has no place making this show/movies. I like cool tech and lot's of action, but what is it worth when the characters are flat and boring, just like the new "big bad" enemy? They forget that there was once a Sam and Teal'c on the team and Jack and Hammond still around somewhere, and Daniel has been replaced by his evil twin or something. Seriously, I loved Daniel in the early years, but the character has changed so much that I can't recognize him anymore. One thing that I really liked, and got me more intrested in, was the whole mythology, the Ancient Egypt. I am really interested these days to learn more about it than I was before I saw SG1.

The touch of realism, the interesting characters and stories are all gone. And like I said, if tech, big explosions and sexy characters is all they think SG1 fans are intrested in, then they shouldn't be making this anymore. I think SciFi fans are a lot smarter than they actually belive...

Comment

Yeah, what i liked about SG1 was that it wasn't like your typical scifi show. If I wanted to watch Andromeda I'd watch that...

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                      That really depends on which series.
                      Why TNG of course!

Comment

TPTB plod into the later seasons to work their magic.
                        sigpic
                        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Who said we disliked all explosions?
                          sigpic

Comment

i for one LOVED teh great brazilian conifer rain forest....with its 12 rented banana trees
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              i for one LOVED teh great brazilian conifer rain forest....with its 12 rented banana trees
                              Just run a vine up a Hemlock and suddenly its Guatemala (or was it Nicaragua?)
                              sigpic

Comment

But...but does he not realize that several ST shows have managed to END without crashing the Enterprise and killing the entire crew? I know what he was trying to say was that to wrap it up in any real way would have hurt his pocket, but really-this analogy just sounded so stupid. And the explanation just greedy.

I didn't read his interview because I knew it would be full of things like this, and frankly I already think as little of him as possible, so why go there?

Comment

Working...
                                X