No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate how the Ori wherer killed offscreen. I mean after the greatness of the replicatoir and Goa'uld endings in Reckoning have a ship go throught the supergate then a few episodes latter someone say

"oh yes BTW remember that ship we sent to the ori galaxy..., well... it worked and they are now all dead. Isn't that great news........ hay look a jaffa lets shot him to suplement the lack of action"

I wanted to see the Ori burning away into dust while agiant space battle above their city took place!

Oh well.
    sigpic
    Banner Made By Me for Me
    The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
      Keeping the program secret has been getting sketchier and sketchier since season 7 and the Antarctica battle (ok season 6 when they told the French\Chinese who have no reason to keep the secret and every reason to embarrass American politicians). The breaking point for my suspension of reality was them BEAMING A BUILDING INTO SPACE. WTH how stupid was that.

Not only was that stupid and unbelievable from the "how did no one notice" category but it also gives the Asgard transporters the magical ability to transport stuff of, what, infinite size and transport it absurdly long distances (from the planet to far enough in space no one notices a massive nuclear explosion).
      The building. I was actually luaghing at that. It was true "Fonzy shark jumping" moment.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      what's funny.....start a 'ok, only one side of the issue' thread and you get taken to task for not wanting to discuss. go into a discussion thread and post on both sides of the issue, and if you dont' fit in with the hive mind you get jumped on and told to shut up and that you're not a true fan.

the replacement of the prommie is a plot hole. Heck, the promie itself is a plot hole cause there's no way they could keep this ship a secret landing and taking off from the desert all the time

not to mention am i really expected to believe that the hundreds/thousands of folks woking on this puppy NEVER shoot thier mouth off?????

the bigger the secret the harder it is to keep it and the stargate has gotten too big. and things like bounty just keep stretching that envelope further and furether and further
      I thought it was me last night. I guess it a lot.

Trying to get the "fans" to just use their minds and think--"how could this be better" is like pulling teeth. The attitude is: "Don't you dare talk about my perfect show."

Keeping the program a secret is for the most part a joke in the series now. Before, when a reporter found out it would be a huge issue. Now, they just come up with lamer cover stories. Anyone rember the cover story for the building beaming into space? Did they have one? I think they did but I'm drawing a blank.

If they had kept the Prometheus and not suddenly had mega replacements the series would have been better. Adding the Deadelus was a stretch but then they added the Oddessy and the Apallo. It just de-valued the show and took away from the gate itself. I'm wondering why they just don't make more stargates in the series? The series obviously has the technology between the ships and the ep where Olin made a mini gate in Carter's basement.

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
      I hate how the Ori wherer killed offscreen. I mean after the greatness of the replicatoir and Goa'uld endings in Reckoning have a ship go throught the supergate then a few episodes latter someone say

"oh yes BTW remember that ship we sent to the ori galaxy..., well... it worked and they are now all dead. Isn't that great news........ hay look a jaffa lets shot him to suplement the lack of action"

I wanted to see the Ori burning away into dust while agiant space battle above their city took place!

Oh well.
      Now that I would like to see! Great idea!

It would be cool if they descended the Ori and put them on our level. Making the team come face to face with this enemy. The Ori never had a face. They were off screen the entire time.
      Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
        The building. I was actually luaghing at that. It was true "Fonzy shark jumping" moment.
        yeah, it was bad. really, really bad. add to that ba'al clones running free, other goa'ulded people just running loose...and no one cares. the stupidity of the building beaming, the antarctic fight, hell cam's high school reunion attacked by aliens

part of the quirky fun of SG1 was the 'ok, MAYBE it could be real'...but we don't have that now cause, under coop's control, believability has been stretched so far as not to exist. the sloppy writing as pertains to keeping the gate secret has pretty much destroyed that charming appeal of 'maybe' and turned the whole show into a spoofy joke.

Trying to get the "fans" to just use their minds and think--"how could this be better" is like pulling teeth. The attitude is: "Don't you dare talk about my perfect show."
        yes, only mean horrible people EVER criticize the show.

nothing is perfect, nothing ever WILL BE perfect. folks talk about tv dumbing itself down year after year....well the mindless 'oh how super!! this is the best show ever!!!' mindless praise does nothing but contribute to that. as long as there is no crit, the bar keeps getting set lower and lower and lower until they can just put up bars and tone and folks will love and adore it cause you know if so and so puts up that bars and tone, it MUST be fantastic

If they had kept the Prometheus and not suddenly had mega replacements the series would have been better. Adding the Deadelus was a stretch but then they added the Oddessy and the Apallo. It just de-valued the show and took away from the gate itself. I'm wondering why they just don't make more stargates in the series? The series obviously has the technology between the ships and the ep where Olin made a mini gate in Carter's basement.
        yeah, but then they couldn't keep going for that 'ooh, let's blow it up!! that'll be cool!!!!!' 'wow' moment week after week after week.

blowing up adn replacing the ship on a weekly basis, it would work in the perfect world of trek, but not in a show set in the real here and now. we rationally know that there's no way to make something that big that fast. there's not the manpower, not the materials.

but they consistently keep ignoring any sort of reality just to have fun and then scoff at anyone that shakes their head and goes Huh???

It would be cool if they descended the Ori and put them on our level. Making the team come face to face with this enemy. The Ori never had a face. They were off screen the entire time.

yeah, but then they'd have likely had to face just how lame they were. coop made an error when he created the ori. he made them too strong. too unbeatable. I think he got caught up in the social commentary and didn't realize that he was putting the team in an unwinnable situation. The only way to 'win' against a zealot is when the zealot dies. they won't convert...they wouldnt' be zealots if they did. so the only way to beat them is to join them....killing any and all.

but our heroes wouldn't exactly be heroes if they committed genocide now would they?

so, as an easy out, we have the lame ancient weapon and now we just have a reprise of the slaves of the goa'uld and the jaffa....humans that CAN be converted.

the bori were fatally flawed from the getgo, but the writers lacked the foresight and humility to think beyond the next cool ship blowing up, to see just how 'bad' the ori were as a villian.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post

Spoiler:
          I haven't the fortitude to go in there and read them. I did make some predictions about them though, and am wondering just how close I am.

1. Vala-centered

2. Lots of Vaniel

3. No [Little] interaction between the Big 3

Sad that those have been my predictions for most of the season and I'm usually pretty dead on...
          Spoiler:

Based on the thread, your predictions continue to be close to the target. Rather depressed about it at the moment. Really wanted those last episodes to be team centered.
          Last edited by Sg Gato; 07 March 2007, 05:13 AM. Reason: Add spoiler tags in case

Much credit to Replicatertje and Ann Sgc_Fan for their lovely sigs

Comment

didn't you get the memo?

team = Vaniel and their Sidekicks
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Jess--you basically summed it up. Just add Ba'al and Adria to the mix.
              I can't tell if it's more amusing or sad that I came that close... again.

Man, what is it with this board? Ask a solid question or raise a real issue and they pounce on you like animals. Luckily, I have a sense of humor and found the post funny.

Discussing the cost of a ship. I add the real cost of what it takes to make an Aircraft carrier as some reference point to my estiment and they jumped all over me.

It takes seven years and 8.6 billion dollars to make a real carrier. I tried to explain that the shows 18 months to make a huge spaceborne ship is too short and the cost to make a really big ship would have to be near 4 times that at least. I got these...kids--I assume...telling me that the ships materials would free and it wouldn't cost that much. Hahhahaha...I pay bills!

And another one told me that I couldn't use reality to base anything in for science fiction because it's science fiction. Oh my! LOL.

Another thread...does Vala fit in? Well, of course she fits in...too easily. I posted Vala had it too easy and the reasons why. One told me I hated Vala. It's a character!

LMAO.
              Seems to me some people just get way too obsessive over things like that, especially where the characters are concerned... I think I may have an idea of who informed you of your Vala hatred, but I won't name names.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but when they start referring to the characters as if they're real people, i.e. knowing them personally, you're getting too deeply involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sg Gato View Post
                Spoiler:
                Based on the thread, your predictions continue to be close to the target. Rather depressed about it at the moment. Really wanted those last episodes to be team centered.
                As I said above, I don't know whether to be amused or sad about it. And I don't have the fortitude to go into the episode thread and stomach all the squeeing about Vaniel that is undoubtedly going on there. They're entitled to their opinions but I'm not in the mood for any of that.

didn't you get the memo?

team = Vaniel and their Sidekicks
                Sad that they've reinvented the qualifications of 'team' ... seems that they don't even remember what a team is supposed to be anymore, at least the way it always had been in SG-1.

Comment

It funny, maybe I'm mellowing in my old age (what's that funny smell? you say) but I can't say I hate any of the characters, now. Some I can't see the purpose of and wouldn't miss them if they fell off of the face of the SGC world, some I absolutely love and sorely miss, some I love hating (Kinsey, Samuels (where did he go?))
                  It takes too much effort to hate and doesn't go with my swing into apathy. Otherwise I shall be too sad when the end does come. In Delusionville they, the gold team of course, are still young and vibrant and going through the gate.
                  Last edited by Zoser; 07 March 2007, 11:36 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                  My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
                    Well my 91year old Dad just caught the sneak preview of Bounty on Skiffy. All he did was just shooked his head and laughed.

LOL! My husband said, well that was an exciting preview.
                    Last edited by Rogue; 07 March 2007, 10:16 AM.
                    Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
                      It funny, maybe I'm mellowing in my old age (what's that funny smell? you say) but I can't say I hate any of the characters, now. Some I can't see the purpose of and would miss them if they fell of the face of the SGC world, some I absolutely love and sorely miss, some I love hating (Kinsey, Samuels (where did he go?))
                      It takes too much effort to hate and doesn't go with my swing into apathy. Otherwise I shall be too sad when the end does come. In Delusionville they, the gold team of course, are still young and vibrant and going through the gate.
                      I don't hate any of the characters, there are just some I wouldn't miss or would rather not be on the show. But I think my level of expectation had dropped considerably after S9/10 compared to my expectations from S1-S8.
                      Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                        I don't hate any of the characters, there are just some I wouldn't miss or would rather not be on the show. But I think my level of expectation had dropped considerably after S9/10 compared to my expectations from S1-S8.
                        Same here.

Comment

yeah, but then they'd have likely had to face just how lame they were. coop made an error when he created the ori. he made them too strong. too unbeatable. I think he got caught up in the social commentary and didn't realize that he was putting the team in an unwinnable situation. The only way to 'win' against a zealot is when the zealot dies. they won't convert...they wouldnt' be zealots if they did. so the only way to beat them is to join them....killing any and all.

but our heroes wouldn't exactly be heroes if they committed genocide now would they?

so, as an easy out, we have the lame ancient weapon and now we just have a reprise of the slaves of the goa'uld and the jaffa....humans that CAN be converted.

the bori were fatally flawed from the getgo, but the writers lacked the foresight and humility to think beyond the next cool ship blowing up, to see just how 'bad' the ori were as a villian.
                          Intresting point with the genocide. Have they already committed Genocide by sending the weapon? Who is to say that all the Ori were guilty and not just a few head hanchos who ruled the roost.

By basically "poofing" the Bori they committed genicide because all the Ori are--dead. Life is life in any form.

You are the first person who brought that up from what I've read. I stopped reading the Dominion spoilers when they started about Ba'al and Adria and how brillient it was. *Barf* imagine barfing smily here*

Originally posted by Rogue View Post
                          The same here! It seems like the more it's hyped the less I want to see it.

What I expect for the final. Sam is goo-goo over cam. teal'c has some funny lines. No mention of Jack in any way! The rest, Vaniel topped with a kiss.

Comment

Your predictions are pretty much in line with mine. Guess we'll see how they fare.

People keep telling me to be more optimistic. I don't know -- being pessimistic just seems much more realistic...

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                              Your predictions are pretty much in line with mine. Guess we'll see how they fare.

People keep telling me to be more optimistic. I don't know -- being pessimistic just seems much more realistic...
                              You're a realist...not a pessimist! Nothing wrong with keeping it real. When the movie or show, seems so real that even the rediculas stuff makes you wonder if maybe it could happen...that is a great story. (Good writers are realist with an imagination.)

Comment

I've said that to people in the past when they ask me "can't you be positive?" I say "I can't be positive, I have to be realistic." It really seems to apply here. ITA.

Comment

Working...
                                X