S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChevronSeven View Post
    Are the syndication numbers for S9 worse than the syndicated numbers for S1-8? I never really pay attention to those.
    The ratings for every season in syndication have been lower than the season before it. That's largely because the ratings of all shows in weekly syndication have been going down for years as cable grows.

Back in 2001 (Season 4 reruns, I believe), it was getting ratings in the mid-3's. But, by 2005 (Season 8), it was in the high 1's. So, there was more decline in the ratings between Seasons 1 and 8 then there has been betwen Season 8 and 9.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
      I thought the available viewing audience is based on the number of viewers watching all television channels available, not just the one channel in question.
      It can be done either way.

The absolute number of viewers estimated to be watching is a set number that doesn't change--for example "1 million households watched the show". However, the "rating", as it is often called, is a percentage. That percentage can be calculated either by dividing the number of viewers into "all U.S. households" or into only the "households that receive the channel." The latter is called a "coverage area rating" vs. a "total U.S." rating.

Because dividing it into the number of household that can receive the show produces a higher rating(because of the lower denominator), many cable networks, SciFi included, choose to publish their ratings that way. That is how Stargate ratings have been reported for SciFi.

But, the syndication ratings are reported on a "total U.S." basis because that's hey they are reported.

Some published sources sidestep either method by just publishing the absolute # of households or viewers. Like this one:

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_9421.asp

Most media sources where they are reporting across channels choose either this way or to show a "Total U.S." rating. Coverage area ratings are "apples to orange" because no two networks have exactly the same distribution pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
        It can be done either way.

The absolute number of viewers estimated to be watching is a set number that doesn't change--for example "1 million households watched the show". However, the "rating", as it is often called, is a percentage. That percentage can be calculated either by dividing the number of viewers into "all U.S. households" or into only the "households that receive the channel." The latter is called a "coverage area rating" vs. a "total U.S." rating.

Because dividing it into the number of household that can receive the show produces a higher rating(because of the lower denominator), many cable networks, SciFi included, choose to publish their ratings that way. That is how Stargate ratings have been reported for SciFi.

But, the syndication ratings are reported on a "total U.S." basis because that's hey they are reported.

Some published sources sidestep either method by just publishing the absolute # of households or viewers. Like this one:

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ticle_9421.asp

Most media sources where they are reporting across channels choose either this way or to show a "Total U.S." rating. Coverage area ratings are "apples to orange" because no two networks have exactly the same distribution pattern.
        You're living up to your screen name. Thanks for the info.
        sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
        May we all be so well loved.

Comment

just read a general report on the episode, Family Ties.

I'm not sure if I want to see it or not. It sounded lame but at the same time I always like Fred Willard and he plays Vala's father.

In general...the ep didn't seem to have much of a plot.

Did anyone here see it?
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
            just read a general report on the episode, Family Ties.

I'm not sure if I want to see it or not. It sounded lame but at the same time I always like Fred Willard and he plays Vala's father.

In general...the ep didn't seem to have much of a plot.

Did anyone here see it?
            Yes, and in my humble opinion, it's a waste of time. I thought Fred Willard's acting was horrible. On the other hand, watching this was kind of like rubber-necking at a car accident. It's almost beyond comprehension how they could write something like this and think it was funny, clever, cute, or interesting. I'm *guessing* they thought it was or more of the above. Yes, the very last scene is funny, but other than that, nada.

I'm probably going to have to go to a hypnotist to get these last 2 seasons erased from my consciousness.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post
              Yes, and in my humble opinion, it's a waste of time. I thought Fred Willard's acting was horrible. On the other hand, watching this was kind of like rubber-necking at a car accident. It's almost beyond comprehension how they could write something like this and think it was funny, clever, cute, or interesting. I'm *guessing* they thought it was or more of the above. Yes, the very last scene is funny, but other than that, nada.

I'm probably going to have to go to a hypnotist to get these last 2 seasons erased from my consciousness.
              well if you want a laugh try youtube for the last minute or so-it involves Teal'c.
              Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Exactly why I decided nada on S10. Its taking enough time to erase the crpfest that was S9.
                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Same here, all the way.

I've only seen part of it and (not sure if this needs spoilers or not but I'll do it just to be safe)

Spoiler:
                  Even though Daniel wasn't in it very much they still managed to drop Vaniel in there somehow

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                    Same here, all the way.

I've only seen part of it and (not sure if this needs spoilers or not but I'll do it just to be safe)

Spoiler:
                    Even though Daniel wasn't in it very much they still managed to drop Vaniel in there somehow
                    That's bad! Oh boy! Well, I can always go back to seasons 1-8 and remember the good old days.

On a plus note--I'm going to TX for a vacation in four weeks. Yeah, something to look forward too!

Maybe when I'm on vaca I will be inspired to finish a fan fic. I will just pretend season 9 and 10 never happened. Tranquility.
                    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

I have to agree with you. There wasn't much plot, and a lot of it was telling us, rather than showing us.
                      I didn't find Vala's dad funny at all, and as you say, his acting isn't particularly good.
                      The Landry/Lam stuff is just boring.
                      I enjoyed the moments between Sam and Vala, and the final scene with Teal'c.
                      This was yet again another wasted opportunity.
                      sigpic

Comment

Did you enjoy
                        Spoiler:
                        the not too subtle dig at Scif for lack of support and respect the Stargate program deserves?i
                        sigpic
                        Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                        My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

So, from the gist of what people are saying, I should pass on this one when it airs in the States.

Comment

from what i think, i think once the show was canned and they k new they were gonna get the movies and it was decided that the Bori would be coop's crowning achievement of movie #1....i think it hit htem 'mmhjm, you know, we don't HAVE enough plot to fill 10 episodes chasing the ori AND a movie... what to do??? oh i know, we'll take some of those episodes, pull out the Bori, fill it with 'fun' filler to kill time and shift the Bori plot and use the last episode or two to set up the movie and then use the movie to tell the rest.

cause that's how bounty, talion, bad guys adn family ties feels like (or, to be fair, i've only seen bounty but heard not good things about the rest) filler to fulfill thier mandated 20 hours while stretching out the existing plot to create a 'fantastic, super duper suspenseful hour of Vaniel and the Bori to entertain the lemming masses'

In other words, it feels liek they are deliberately wasting the remaining episodes because it was easier to come up with trite filler junk than it was to think and write and plot to come up wiht a plot for the movie

thus far it seems that you can watch quest 2, lits, trnt (maybe and then only to know that sam got the device to work), shroud...and then tune out until the last 1-2 episodes
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              from what i think, i think once the show was canned and they k new they were gonna get the movies and it was decided that the Bori would be coop's crowning achievement of movie #1....i think it hit htem 'mmhjm, you know, we don't HAVE enough plot to fill 10 episodes chasing the ori AND a movie... what to do??? oh i know, we'll take some of those episodes, pull out the Bori, fill it with 'fun' filler to kill time and shift the Bori plot and use the last episode or two to set up the movie and then use the movie to tell the rest.
                              [snip]

thus far it seems that you can watch quest 2, lits, trnt (maybe and then only to know that sam got the device to work), shroud...and then tune out until the last 1-2 episodes

I think even the last 2 episodes can be tuned out without missing anything that would be required to understand the movie. We all know they aren't going to defeat the Bori in the next eppy and "Unending" sounds like it will just be a big reset button after 'that contingent' gets a kiss between two popular characters. Ewwww!!!!

Comment

dominion MIGHT set up something for the movie, but yeah, Unending sounds like yet another episode using the name of Stargate but more accurately representing a spoof of Wormhole Extreme
                                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X