S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
    Okay...where is the sign up sheet. Sold...one subscription to Origin. Long live Origin as long as it protects me from Vaniel.
    If you find it, let me know. I'm certainly game.

Comment

What makes it intresting...to me... is there would be far more people with sci-fi than showtime because showtime is an added cost; when sci-fi is part of basic prgraming with cable and Sat TV co. Thus, more people would have access to Stargate now then the number of people who had access to stargate during the first 6 seasons when it was on Showtime. The rating have still gone down dispite more access to the show. Thus, people are not watching the newer eps...because they suck
      you know...you're starting to sound more and more right as i read. but i'll give it one more stab anyway. anyone, please feel free to slap me upside the head if i've lost my mind. *eyes wet noodle*
      higher ratings doesn't directly translate to more people. Nielsen families without access to a given channel (not part of that "universe") are not calculated in the viewership of said channel.
      Nielsen Formula:
      Rating% (Average Audience)=Audience/Universal Estimate
      made up numbers:
      in season 2, 20 people had showtime and 5 people watched stargate (on a given day/time). that's a 5/20 or 25%.
      in season 10, 100 people have showtime and 20 people watch stargate (on a given day/time). that 20/100 or 20%
      but more people watched in season 10. would they have watched in season 2 if they could? if SG-1 was still on showtime, what would the percent be?

please note, this in no way signifies that i like season 10. i'm just anal. don't even think about it. so about that sign up list...
      sigpic
      "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
      Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities View Post
        you know...you're starting to sound more and more right as i read. but i'll give it one more stab anyway. anyone, please feel free to slap me upside the head if i've lost my mind. *eyes wet noodle*
        higher ratings doesn't directly translate to more people. Nielsen families without access to a given channel (not part of that "universe") are not calculated in the viewership of said channel.
        Nielsen Formula:
        Rating% (Average Audience)=Audience/Universal Estimate
        made up numbers:
        in season 2, 20 people had showtime and 5 people watched stargate (on a given day/time). that's a 5/20 or 25%.
        in season 10, 100 people have showtime and 20 people watch stargate (on a given day/time). that 20/100 or 20%
        but more people watched in season 10. would they have watched in season 2 if they could? if SG-1 was still on showtime, what would the percent be?

please note, this in no way signifies that i like season 10. i'm just anal. don't even think about it. so about that sign up list...
        That's why ratings is a double edge sword. The ratings could be false high or false low. It doesn't really matter because the rating number is used to determine how much to charge all the commercials you see. The higher the rating the higher the airing fee. Ratings=money.

Ratings fell due to many issues...the sudden cast changes, losing RDA, Vaniel, writing that was below par. The break up of the friday night line up.

then add in the rising cost of production and skiffy said--"see ya." However, if ratings were higher Skiffy would have picked up the show because they could have raised the fees for the commercials. Maybe if the channel raised it's fees for commercials we would see less of Bow Flex and Bob the Enzyte guy?

All in all...I personally believe that skiffy renewed the show for season 9 and 10 for the purpose of a record. They canceled it so soon after the 200th episode that I can't believe that wasn't planned. I don't think skiffy really cared how well season 9 and 10 went. they knew it would tank when RDA left. They wanted the record.

I just hope the 3rd series isn't Stargate Command of Stargate Vaniel.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
          If you find it, let me know. I'm certainly game.
          Sure it's right here:

New Members of Origin

Save the human race from Vaniel

1. Jackie and family + one cat

Comment

Sure it's right here:

New Members of Origin

2. Mandysg1 + 1 very large cat
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

3. AGateFan + 1 dog who’s scared of cats (particularly very large ones)
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

That's why ratings is a double edge sword. The ratings could be false high or false low. It doesn't really matter because the rating number is used to determine how much to charge all the commercials you see. The higher the rating the higher the airing fee. Ratings=money.

Ratings fell due to many issues...the sudden cast changes, losing RDA, Vaniel, writing that was below par. The break up of the friday night line up.

then add in the rising cost of production and skiffy said--"see ya." However, if ratings were higher Skiffy would have picked up the show because they could have raised the fees for the commercials. Maybe if the channel raised it's fees for commercials we would see less of Bow Flex and Bob the Enzyte guy?

All in all...I personally believe that skiffy renewed the show for season 9 and 10 for the purpose of a record. They canceled it so soon after the 200th episode that I can't believe that wasn't planned. I don't think skiffy really cared how well season 9 and 10 went. they knew it would tank when RDA left. They wanted the record.

I just hope the 3rd series isn't Stargate Command of Stargate Vaniel.
                Very good points. I tend to think the cancellation was planned as well... and the record thing makes sense. Didn't tptb want to change it to Stargate Command (not that I don't think it actually was..er, still is, under the guise of SG-1 now), but skiffy made them keep it as SG-1? If it was as a different show, no record.

Same here. I've heard MS deny that he was approached for the 3rd series...something about it being an "unfounded rumor" but I wouldn't doubt there'd be a huge movement to get him on it anyway. I know several people who insist they think he'll be on it (and he just has to because we need to have more Vaniel...er, Daniel).

(note: I don't mean this as any offense against Daniel or Vaniel fans... just repeating what I've been told)

Comment

Sure it's right here:

New Members of Origin

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                  2. Mandysg1 + 1 very large cat
                  Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                  3. AGateFan + 1 dog who’s scared of cats (particularly very large ones)
                  4. JessM and family + 1 dog (who acts tough when she sees a cat crossing the yard but would make friends with them in person)

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                    4. JessM and family + 1 dog (who acts tough when she sees a cat crossing the yard but would make friends with them in person)
                    pittsburghgirl and 2 dogs (1 who is positively neurotic and the other who is a lump)
                    Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

(sad old) Zoser + my dog just died (17 1/2 years old who loved cats)
                      sigpic
                      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
                      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

yes, they wanted to rebrand the show with s9 - hence walter's big 'welcome to stargate command' but skiffy denied teh request. even Brad W says that the show likely could have lasted longer had it been rebranded. IMHO, skiffy wnated nothing more than 'longest running us scifi show' record.

I do think they would kept it for s11, but only if it was consistently pullin 2.0 or higher in the ratings.

they gambled and they lost because - rebrand or not - teh show was too changed for fans to tolerate it. tptb may love thier new goofier incarnation, but fans didn't care for the bait and switch and they turned the set off

Now had the show been allowed to be renamed, it could have worked. TPTB could have replied to the crit with 'hey folks, it's a whole new show' and found its own place.

but skiffy's greed for a title was one very big nail in the coffin

as to the third series...IMHO when or if there's a 3rd series it depends solely on atlantis kicking tushie this season. And i mean major tushie. if atlantis can't get really high and consistent ratings, the third series won't happen
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

If Atlantis continues with the stories of Doom-yeah it will bite the dust. face it anymore episodes by Irresitable-irresponsible or whatever they will find people turning the channel. i have already found something better to spend my friday nite tv time on-Numbers-

If they want a 3rd series-they will have to do a whole lot more planning and thinking about what the public will like to watch, then what they want to do.

I understand that it is their show and they can do what they like with it-but conversely, it is my money and i can do what i want with it.
                          Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
                            If Atlantis continues with the stories of Doom-yeah it will bite the dust. face it anymore episodes by Irresitable-irresponsible or whatever they will find people turning the channel. i have already found something better to spend my friday nite tv time on-Numbers-

If they want a 3rd series-they will have to do a whole lot more planning and thinking about what the public will like to watch, then what they want to do.

I understand that it is their show and they can do what they like with it-but conversely, it is my money and i can do what i want with it.

Yep, Stargate Rodney has some major issues.

1. Overdevlopment of Rodney
                            2. Underdevolpment of the rest of the cast
                            3. Too many...doomsday eps.
                            4. A few stand-a-lones that never should have been filmed...irristable and such.
                            5. Lack of a constant enemy.
                            6. Lack of allies.
                            7. Lack of main story arc.
                            8. High turn over of cast members.
                            9. Lack of a constant slow building tension climax.
                            10. Lack of general purpose to the expidition team.
                            11. not enough exploring.
                            12. not enough exploring of the city.
                            13. the Ancinets falling from mysterious people to extras to kill off.
                            14. destroying all the Ancient battleships they find.
                            15. Sheppards lack of direction in general. Lack of personel devlopment.
                            16. LACK OF TEAM DYNAMICS--In the ep with alternate Rodney. Shep was comenting about how good his team was while sitting and talking to ronon, teyla and mckay. But, the scene struck me as odd becuase I don't see them as a team. I see Shep/McKay take off of Daniel/Jack and two lame fill in for Sam and Teal'c.

Comment

i think, for the 3rd series to have a chance in hades, they need to start totally fresh. New writers, new show runners, new actors, the works

if they keep depending on the crutch of 'special guest star' they'll never last. they need to shed the baggage of 10+ years of history and start over completely fresh.

if we keep the same attitudes behind the wheel, both in the front office and the writers' room, it'll just be the same stories over and over and over, just liek we have now with many atlantis eps being direct rewrites of stargate eps

sigpic

Comment

yep, rodney needs some time off.

i've been lucky enough to see some atlantis eps and what struck me was just how bloody much rod there was in it.he was integral to every single eps from 11-17 (haven't seen the last 3 yet)

why couldn't tao of rodney been someone else? wouldn't it have been cool to have seen how beckett or teyla handled it? how about the game, what if two other people had been involved and had to clean up the mess?

rod is fun, for me, in small doses and i feel like i've been overdosed. how about letting rod stay home for a while an let zelenka get an adventure?

break it up a bit

I think, i'm sure writing rod is fun cause he's so ott and loud and obnoxious, but how about giving him a break and trying someone else? Just because he and shep are easy to write for doesn't mean that they're the center of the universe.

stuff like this is what i mean when i say that the show needs a broad appeal. they have an ensemble, use them. poor teyla's pretty much nothing but the damsel in distress. give the girl something to do. let us get a glimpse into what makes her tick.

i see them repeating the same mistakes tehy've made with sg1 on atlantis. Vaniel was thier preferred pairing this past 2 years, and McShep is their preferred couple on atlantis. cool if you like them, kinda annoying if you don't

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X