No announcement yet.

S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did get a good part of the way through the Brad Wright interview just posted and I almost laughed my a$$ off (well and fell out of the chair) when he said Mallozzi and Mullie got to be SGA showrunners not because of their incredible talent or their real talent for showrunning and seeing the big picture , etc., but because, and I quote, "It's their turn to have a shot at running the show". Gee perhaps that is why SG-1 turned into a crapfest - it just happened to be cooper's "turn to have a shot at running the show" and it turns out he couldn't do it very well. Let's hope they don't find out that by giving m&m a "turn" they make SGA a crapfest too. Gosh I wonder when my "turn to have a shot at running the company" I work for will come up, maybe next year . . . . OMG this crowd becomes more pathetic as they talk, IMO.

I also find it revealing that wright finally admits (first of the group I know of) who actually admits that the show would likely have been renewed for season 11 if the ratings had been higher. Too bad they have such hubris that they cannot admit they made mistakes and bad decisions which led to the lower ratings and ultimatley to the cancellation of the show. Then he also says that whether SGA goes to season 5 depends on how many fans watch - again, it's not about how good a show they write or how well they handle the changes or how well they make necessary decisions it is simply about the number of people that watch as if fans are going to watch crap - they should have learned in S9 and S10 of SG-1 that the fans of Stargate show will NOT watch crap just because it is called Stargate:

IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT HOW MANY PEOPLE WATCH, MR.WRIGHT, IT IS ABOUT HOW WELL THE SHOW IS WRITTEN AND THE QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT YOU PROVIDE TO THE FANS - WHEN WILL YOU (AND THE OTHERS OF TPTKSG-1) GET THAT??? The ratings your shows (and movies get) reflect the writing and quality of the show - loss of 30% in ratings should give you a clue . . . .

Comment

I haven't sat through the interviews (don't think I could stomach it )
      but based on reports I've read, I find it rather funny how now they are saying how wonderful Amanda Tapping is, when not so long ago it was We don't know what to do with her.

Amanda/Sam has always been a wonderful part of the show, it's just too bad they didn't realize it in S9 when they wall papered her character
      sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
        I haven't sat through the interviews (don't think I could stomach it )
        but based on reports I've read, I find it rather funny how now they are saying how wonderful Amanda Tapping is, when not so long ago it was We don't know what to do with her.

Amanda/Sam has always been a wonderful part of the show, it's just too bad they didn't realize it in S9 when they wall papered her character
        That's what I am wondering too. Why the sudden promo of Sam when before they wallpapered her.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by saberhagen83 View Post
          I've just recently watched "The Quest part 2" and some thoughts on the good and bad in my view.

Spoiler:
          The best thing about the ep was without doubt the interactions between Sam, Teal'c and Baal. Really liked the Teal'c humor such as when Baal got back his ability to speak, and I guess the highlight was when Sam got to knock Baal.

The more bad things were really anything that had to do with the dragon. I was sitting there watching and started to think if I were watching an ep of Hercules or Xena possibly. Didn't like the end scene at all, it was like the writers were trying to make us belive that Vala were the only one that cared about Daniel beeing taken. I used to think Adria had some potential to be a interesting character, but found her like any other bad guy(girl) in this one.

I suppose another good thing about this, just like the 1st part, is the fact it was more of a team episode. Sam and Teal'c wasn't really in the background. I got the feeling they really tried to balace it with all the characters. However I found it to much Daniel/vala/Mitchell. It was an OK ep, Sam/Teal'c/Baal made it good IMHO. If they could have built more on this kind of writing, the show might actually have had some potential. But eps like these are too few and very far between, most eps have only focus on the "big" three. You know who I am talking about...
          I agree with you on that. It did feel more like a team episode, at least in the beginning anyway. Like you I found it too much Daniel/Vala/Mitchell, and I really didn't like the sort of vibe of

Spoiler:
          Vala being the only one who cares about Daniel's fate (and thus they belong together ). I was glad that Cam at least tried to prove her wrong and show some concern for Daniel. In their final scene back in his lab Sam did seem upset to me but still I couldn't help but feel as if TPTB were trying to tell us that Vala's feelings about Daniel eclipse all others.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc View Post
            I did get a good part of the way through the Brad Wright interview just posted and I almost laughed my a$$ off (well and fell out of the chair) when he said Mallozzi and Mullie got to be SGA showrunners not because of their incredible talent or their real talent for showrunning and seeing the big picture , etc., but because, and I quote, "It's their turn to have a shot at running the show". Gee perhaps that is why SG-1 turned into a crapfest - it just happened to be cooper's "turn to have a shot at running the show" and it turns out he couldn't do it very well. Let's hope they don't find out that by giving m&m a "turn" they make SGA a crapfest too. Gosh I wonder when my "turn to have a shot at running the company" I work for will come up, maybe next year . . . . OMG this crowd becomes more pathetic as they talk, IMO.
            Oh, dear.... I didn't watch/listen to the interview because I didn't think I could handle it but I've read some comments about them. And that's what I have to say... oh, dear. When I read that part, I started out being amused, and then actually sad.

I also find it revealing that wright finally admits (first of the group I know of) who actually admits that the show would likely have been renewed for season 11 if the ratings had been higher. Too bad they have such hubris that they cannot admit they made mistakes and bad decisions which led to the lower ratings and ultimatley to the cancellation of the show. Then he also says that whether SGA goes to season 5 depends on how many fans watch - again, it's not about how good a show they write or how well they handle the changes or how well they make necessary decisions it is simply about the number of people that watch as if fans are going to watch crap - they should have learned in S9 and S10 of SG-1 that the fans of Stargate show will NOT watch crap just because it is called Stargate:

IT IS NOT JUST ABOUT HOW MANY PEOPLE WATCH, MR.WRIGHT, IT IS ABOUT HOW WELL THE SHOW IS WRITTEN AND THE QUALITY OF THE PRODUCT YOU PROVIDE TO THE FANS - WHEN WILL YOU (AND THE OTHERS OF TPTKSG-1) GET THAT??? The ratings your shows (and movies get) reflect the writing and quality of the show - loss of 30% in ratings should give you a clue . . . .
            Can't be said enough times IMO. Another thing that I didn't like was regarding some of the spoilers for yet-to-air episodes, especially Unending...

Spoiler:
            They get stuck in a time dilation field for 50 years, and it's supposed to show what happens in regards to the relationships between characters. Already I am nauseated thinking of the Vaniel we'll be forcefed.

The only saving grace (if it can be called that) is that things are supposed to be 'fixed' in the end, so the Vaniel wuv won't actually happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
              That's what I am wondering too. Why the sudden promo of Sam when before they wallpapered her.
              I agree. That is interesting.

Comment

Could they have figured out that wallpapering Sam was a mistake?--even though they'd never admit it? Yes, bink--hubris is the word.

Comment

Just a comment about The Quest Pt2 and sexism (is that vague enough?)
                  Spoiler:
                  So Baal makes all kids of comments about pathetic humans and targets Sam as a female to boot - making her the lowest of the low. Fine, that actually tracks with his comments in The Reckoning Pt2So she finally gets pissed and belts him. GO girl!

I find it interesting that we get Sam smacking Ball around when what was done to her in S9 was worse. Baal was "only" words. TPTB wrote the USAF as taking her out of a command position so Mr. I've never seen a stargate but have cajones so I am the leader gets the job. But she's okay with that? Apparently so. It makes TPTB look like they are "progessive" about gernder equality when in reality what they practice is much worse than trash talk.

<sigh>

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

You know--I bet they could have made all of season 9 and 10 with JUST Daniel, Sam and Teal'c as the main three. (if they never killed off Jacob) and then brought in Bra'tc more and had RDA do only 4 or 5 episodes--bring in Vala as a re-occuring character ONLY and they could have done far better than with all the changes that they did for season 9.

Never even needed Mitchell or Landry--or lam.

I would have rather they kept Jacob and made him the new CO of the base. He was a general and a tokra. He's more than qualified. It would have been cool to see Jacob running the SGC. He should have taken over for Hammond--that would have been a logical choice. (The actor didn't want to leave).

Imagine what the show would have been like if they had utilized the characters we all ready knew and loved. I think Jacob and Salmak would have had some intresting lines for Vala. I would have loved to have seen Jacob put her in her place.

I think it also could have been good for Sam to have Jacob come in a CO after RDA left. I think most of the veiwers would have been far more excetping of Jacob taking over the SGC then Landry.

Major mistake killing off Jacob and Janet. I like to think of the 'real' stargate show still having those two. (Which is why I refuse to kill off major characters in anything I write.)

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                      Just a comment about The Quest Pt2 and sexism (is that vague enough?)
                      Spoiler:
                      So Baal makes all kids of comments about pathetic humans and targets Sam as a female to boot - making her the lowest of the low. Fine, that actually tracks with his comments in The Reckoning Pt2So she finally gets pissed and belts him. GO girl!

I find it interesting that we get Sam smacking Ball around when what was done to her in S9 was worse. Baal was "only" words. TPTB wrote the USAF as taking her out of a command position so Mr. I've never seen a stargate but have cajones so I am the leader gets the job. But she's okay with that? Apparently so. It makes TPTB look like they are "progessive" about gernder equality when in reality what they practice is much worse than trash talk.

<sigh>

suse
                      Spoiler:
                      At least with Ba'al he seemed to be trying to get a rise out of her rather than genuinely believing that her gender made her less capable - and Sam was given a chance to express her anger at his comments and to prove her intelligence. She was not given this opportunity re. the command situation.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                        You know--I bet they could have made all of season 9 and 10 with JUST Daniel, Sam and Teal'c as the main three. (if they never killed off Jacob) and then brought in Bra'tc more and had RDA do only 4 or 5 episodes--bring in Vala as a re-occuring character ONLY and they could have done far better than with all the changes that they did for season 9.

Never even needed Mitchell or Landry--or lam.

I would have rather they kept Jacob and made him the new CO of the base. He was a general and a tokra. He's more than qualified. It would have been cool to see Jacob running the SGC. He should have taken over for Hammond--that would have been a logical choice. (The actor didn't want to leave).

Imagine what the show would have been like if they had utilized the characters we all ready knew and loved. I think Jacob and Salmak would have had some intresting lines for Vala. I would have loved to have seen Jacob put her in her place.

I think it also could have been good for Sam to have Jacob come in a CO after RDA left. I think most of the veiwers would have been far more excetping of Jacob taking over the SGC then Landry.

Major mistake killing off Jacob and Janet. I like to think of the 'real' stargate show still having those two. (Which is why I refuse to kill off major characters in anything I write.)
                        While that would have been interesting, there would still be a problem with the chain of command - as CO of SG-1, Sam would have been reporting directly to her father.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                          While that would have been interesting, there would still be a problem with the chain of command - as CO of SG-1, Sam would have been reporting directly to her father.
                          Not that that stopped them in S9 w/ Landry & Lam.

Comment

Yes I agree, Jacob couldn't be CO of the SGC for this reason. They however, could have written a believable competant General to take over for Jack, thus replacing RDA with one actor and not 2 Too bad they couldn't bring Hammond back
                            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Jacob was a retired general...he would have been hired as a civilian. I also doubt that little problem would have really effected the series--since Landry was Lam's father.

I don't know what the regs are for certain as to relitaves serving but considering the whole program would be top secret there would have to be exceptions.

The regulation that I can find readily refer to the sole survivor policy enacted after the Sullivan brother's death during the attck of pearl harbor. I have not found an updated one that refers to direct line of command and then thier is the situation of a program as top secret as the SGC. There would have to be some seperate regulations in place for unusal cercumstances.

If anyone has any links to updated regulations I would appreacate it. There is a lot of posters who post here that think they know what the regs are but never follow up with "what the regs are."

Comment

True. But I for one would have loved seeing the Tau'ri have to appease the rest of their erstwhile allies / coalition against the Goa'uld the way the SGC had to appease the IOC, but putting Selmak in command of the SGC!

As the oldest and wisest of a people who are all about not letting anyone unauthorized in on their secrets/plans/operations/locations/etc., s/he should have had all the skill to run a rinky-dink military program on a backwater planet, especially if she had a retired 2 star Air Force General, Jacob Carter, as her/his aide.

I would have paid to see the results, as written in the pre-season 7 style. Jack having conniptions about a *snake* running the SGC. Jacob not putting up with his shennanigans. Sam wanting to smack them both, and ending up tight with Selmak. Daniel agitating to go to Atlantis - until Selmak nods and tells him 'Bon Voyage', and then back pedalling madly. Teal'c refusing to go along with Jack's temper tantrums, and ending up as one of Selmak's advisors at large and Sam's permanent right hand in running SG-1...

Bring on Colonel Dixon as the ranking SG team officer (with no great fondness for Snakes) on the base, an Asgard advisor who is perfectly certain that it's been exiled to the outter fringes of civilization but ends up kinda likin' the Tau'ri, Sarah Gardner as a permanent linguistic/cultural consultant, who turns out to be every bit as good - if not better, considering her experiences - a translator, anthropologist, cultural researcher, and nexialist as Daniel to give him a bit of angst and competition about the situation, or Jonas for ditto, get a thoroughly annoying permanent IOC presence at the SGC, and things could have been veerrryyy interesting indeed.

Or, at least, a lot more watchable for me than seasons 9 and 10 were and have been.
                                Nerd-o-rama: Oh, I almost forgot. Sam also had the power of Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina for a few seasons (can use any alien technology if it suits the script's purpose.) Then they gave it to Jack for some reason.
                                So that's why we've seen so little of Sam and Jack in these past two seasons. They're spending all their free time as the Xenotechnological Deus Ex Machina League fighting evil in Washington DC.

Comment

Working...
                                X