S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JessM View Post
    Ha, the other day I was thinking how much I missed MST3K and wished those guys were still around. I think S9/10 would be great fodder for them. Heck I've MSTed it myself most times
    I MST them in my head If I can stay awake. The dentist told me to stop grinding my teeth (this is true).
    sigpic
    Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
    My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by MerRu View Post
      The scary thing is that I can actually see Cambo as an idiot Immortal newbie. He actually died in the fight in Antarctica, came back Immortal, and whoever told him about what he now is, didn't manage to impress the need to be discrete about it on him. So it's all "Whoo!!! I'm Immortal! I can charge all alone into enemy fire and live to tell about it! Wooo Hoo!!!!! So let's CHAARRGGE!!!!" and "And I can afford to goof around forever - 'cause I got forever, y'know." to him.

I wonder if one of the MacLeods could come over and straighten out this newly Immortal twit before he spills the secret of Immortality to the US Air Force, and gets a bunch of mortals killed to boot? Please???

Of course, I can also see Methos deciding Cam is such a hopeless twit that he whacks him quietly in a dark corner of the SGC parking lot one night, blames the three broken light bulbs and staticky spot in the surveillance video from the meager Quickening on some EM discharge from the Gate, and then declares that Ba'al and his clones knew what a hero Cam was to his people, so they must have eliminated him at the earliest opportunity to explain the body.

And then Mac and Methos jointly shove Vala into Amanda's hands to be dealt with (or at least taught a little discretion in her chosen trade ) and exit before the Watchers arrive.

And, with that, it'd be back to Stargate SG-1 in a much more tenable version, IMO.

(And now I've just scared myself a lot more - I roamed over to the Updates section of the Highlander - The Source site, and found this: http://www.highlander-thesource.com/news-updates.html

Adrian Paul is not hard to look at.

Spoiler:
      Oh, dear God - the Immortals are gonna quest to find the Holy Grail! I think the Highlander writers and the Stargate writers have been hanging out together. Oy! Enough with the Holy Grail, folks! Go find yourselves some other legends to despoil! Please!
      Meds. I need meds.)

Oh please don't give Coop and the boys any ideas.

No! No, no, no, no! Our male hewo will not have a female sword! He cannot have a female sword - it's, it's... Let's just say that I think a magical sword of the female persuaion is anatomically impossible on Stargate as long as the writing staff is exclusively of the male persuasion.

Though I dare say it's safe to assume Cam is in love with his magical sword. ::tries very hard to look innocent - fails ::

To me it looks like the background to the various swords in Stargate season 9 would go something like this: "The sword is male. The sword MUST be male! All swords must be male! The swords cannot be taken away from the guys. Swords are an essential guy-thing. Girls are supposed to know this, and only touch swords in order to get them into the hands of their rightful male wielders, per Valencia in Camelot!"

/double-entendre

/sarcasm

But that's only my opinion.

Ahem.
      So we girls get to play with and handle the sword from time to time but can't keep it?

If we have to have swords on Stargate (I don't think they belong there at all, to start with), I think I'd like it if something analogous to the final version of Mercedes Lackey's Need - with the caveat it worked for men, too - found its way into Cam's hands. Can you imagine Our Hewo with the mind of a cantankerous, opinionated, supremely knowledgable and supremely competent 10,000 year old female master warrior and mage housed in his magic sword, constantly in his head, giving him an honest, even biting, ongoing critique of his performance as a fighter and a leader - and forcing him to pay heed to it? Everything he does, the sword is there to tell him what he did well, and what he did badly - or wrong - and how to do it better, if not right, without a single grain of sugar-coating. And if he doesn't listen and learn... the sword takes over and makes him do it right. No amount of angst and enthusiams and wibbling and unfortunate previous experiences can get him out of the sword's lessons. Best of all - if the sword were like Need, the magical nature of the blade would prevent him getting rid of it, too. (Then again, if the rest of SG-1 had any sense, they'd Super Glue the thing to him, anyhow.) He'd have to listen to the thing, and demonstrate he'd learned from it, before it would release him and move on to straighten out another bearer. Preferably Vala.

But gee... there'd go another 6 - 10 seasons getting those two straightened out..
      Maybe the sword would take things into it own hands (???) and cut it's losses.
      sigpic
      Distinguished Service Ribbon Goa'uld Campaign
      My Stories zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Artwork by Mala

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser View Post
        I thought swords were masculine.
        They are--that's why the 'female' sword would be only for cammie. Cammie would name it something like--Betsy.
        Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
          They are--that's why the 'female' sword would be only for cammie. Cammie would name it something like--Betsy.
          Betsy huh? Stealing from Daniel Boone are we now? Didn't he call his rifle Bess?
          Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

could be worse, it could be Wynonna....or maybe Naomi would be good

as obsessed as they are with 'jugs' we could toss the Judds in there
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
              Betsy huh? Stealing from Daniel Boone are we now? Didn't he call his rifle Bess?
              I really don't know what DB called his rifle. I think Bowder's character had a name for his gun on farscape--can't remember what.

Betsy was the name of my mother's volkswagon beetle. It was the only name that came to mind.

If Cam was a car--what he be?

Perhaps a Gremlin--thinks he's low maintance but isn't and is really just funny to look at.

IF SG-1 were cars--Hmmm,

Sam- would be a high end european sports car. High maintance and very cool even with age.

Vala is the Delorean from Back to the Future--very picky, very high maintence, can do amazing things when promted.

Teal'c--Humvee--no further explaining needed.

Jack--would be a 57 chevy--just a classic.

Daniel--? He's tough to pin down. He's a regualr maintenance type person who is reliable. Looks cool even as a nerd. Perhaps a mustang--originally intended as a girl's car but everyone just loved him.

I have to throw in Rodney McKay--he would be a volkswagon beetle for sure. His engine is in his rear so he has good traction and that makes him reliable. But his heater is always broken.

so much for this thread being on topic.

Comment

he did indeed and i believe it was Wynona.
                Franklin said, "They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Do or do not. There is no try." Yoda

Comment

Originally posted by pittsburghgirl View Post
                  he did indeed and i believe it was Wynona.

Yup. Johnny-Boy had a thing for Klepto-girl.

In Off the Grid (?) I totally expected him to call his gun Wynona there at the end.

suse
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Is the next episode Quest part 2, or The Lost City part 3?

Glad to see from the latest spoilers that there won't be any of that complicated, and boring, thinking required of any of our characters.

Spoiler:
                    Merlin?! Merlin doing all the thinking for them (via Daniel)?! Making a super-duper weapon?!

Comment

yeah--the first two eps for the comming second half sound kind of dumb. The shroud has promise--RDA is in it.

Comment

Bounty spoilers:
                        Spoiler:
                        The SG-1 team becomes the target of a ruthless band of bounty hunters after Netan offers a hefty reward for their heads. Though Jackson, Carter and Teal'c are able to overpower their would be assassins, Vala and Mitchell are unaware of the peril they face and are left dangerously vulnerable at Mitchell's high school reunion. When bounty hunter Vashin takes the reunion hostage, SG-1 are ordered to surrender or face the mass execution of the reunion guests.

My first thought was:
                        Hey! A two for one! With a bit of collateral damage.

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

yeah--the first two eps for the comming second half sound kind of dumb. The shroud has promise--RDA is in it.
                          Not sure even RDA can save that. Thoughwith apologies the Jack/Daniel folks should love it.

suse
                          sigpic
                          Mourning Sanctuary.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post

BB was brought in as the lead, and presumably is being paid the same salary whether he is the lead in fact or in name only. If TPTB never intended to have Mitchell as anything more than wallpaper once Vala was a regular, then it seems a foolish move to pay for a lead they didn't plan on using instead of sticking with a three person team for Season Nine and then having Vala as the fourth.
                            i'll take mitchell as fourth. leave out vala and daniel-vala all together. have mitchell be (merely) the fourth, and give him something juicy to grab onto to make him unique.

i guess it's personal tastes, but i really don't see what's so special about vala + daniel-vala. as bantering goes, i've seen better. as ships go, i like a love story (s/j) more than the bundys from 'married with children'. i think cooper fell in love with them way before caring whether fans did or not.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

OK I'm officially REALLY WORRIED about the first movie.

From JM's blog on reviewing RCC's movie outline "Whooowheee! It is going to be huge!". No offence JM, but for the last several years everytime you rave something up, I find myself disliking it intensely.

1st nail in the coffin - RCC's writing it and it's about the Bori
                              2nd nail in the coffin - JM's raving it up (never a good sign)

I still have a sliver of hope that they will surprise us and deliver something good, something along the lines of the Stargate that we all knew and loved. Then I look at the last few years and go - I ain't gonna hold my breath!!

So, any news on whether they will still be straight to DVD movies?? I'm thinking that a TV movie closely followed by a DVD release will give them the most chance for success.
                              -

Comment

From the spoilers there's every chance his part will amount to no more than; gives order + one close up of mild angst.
                                Not that that will stop it being promoted as Woot, Jack's back!
                                Originally posted by suse View Post
                                Bounty spoilers:
                                Spoiler:
                                The SG-1 team becomes the target of a ruthless band of bounty hunters after Netan offers a hefty reward for their heads. Though Jackson, Carter and Teal'c are able to overpower their would be assassins, Vala and Mitchell are unaware of the peril they face and are left dangerously vulnerable at Mitchell's high school reunion. When bounty hunter Vashin takes the reunion hostage, SG-1 are ordered to surrender or face the mass execution of the reunion guests.

My first thought was:
                                Hey! A two for one! With a bit of collateral damage.

suse
                                Is the order Quest, Bounty, Shroud? Because it doesn't seem to make much sense re: the Daniel arc.

And the less I say about Bounty the better, I think.

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                                OK I'm officially REALLY WORRIED about the first movie.

From JM's blog on reviewing RCC's movie outline "Whooowheee! It is going to be huge!". No offence JM, but for the last several years everytime you rave something up, I find myself disliking it intensely.

1st nail in the coffin - RCC's writing it and it's about the Bori
                                2nd nail in the coffin - JM's raving it up (never a good sign)

I still have a sliver of hope that they will surprise us and deliver something good, something along the lines of the Stargate that we all knew and loved. Then I look at the last few years and go - I ain't gonna hold my breath!!

So, any news on whether they will still be straight to DVD movies?? I'm thinking that a TV movie closely followed by a DVD release will give them the most chance for success.
                                "Whooowheee! It is going to be huge!" probably means it's going to be effects heavy. I don't think I've ever heard them say that in regards to an actual storyline.

Still straight to DVD, although I wouldn't lay any bets against it being shown on Sci Fi first. (Well, for MGM & the rest of TPTB, beggars can't be choosers.)

Comment

Working...
                                X