S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
    Great point nell.I wonder what the reaction would be if Gen Hammand ordered Sam/Jack on a date? I thought the Regs were important? When it suits TPTB the Regs can disappear.If the Regs were such an issues Sam Jack Daniel and Teal'c would never have been keep together soo long.
    LOL, ses, ya know I would've loved that!!! (Shipper here!!!) Seriously, regs are a matter of convenience.
    sigpic

Comment

Me too nell.I wish there were Regs to stop the nonsense that was Season 9 and 10.

Comment

i can appreciate the ease of using a familar set, but FCOL, couldn't they have at least TRIED to make it look different???

not to mention, dudes, we ALL know that jack's cabin is in minnesota. ya just don't move things like that around. It's an error on par with...forgetting that sam's mom is dead or that daniel's parents are dead or that jack was born in chicago or htat teal'c served apophis

I can deal with forgeting a planet's name or numbers - even though that's almost as bad - but something like this???? might as well have moved Cheyenne Mountain to Cheyenne Wyoming

if they care that little about what they're writing, then it's time for them to stop writing and move on
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Oh--I never thought about the cabin in the wrong state. I was so PO about the crappy "all hunters are trigger happy" joke I never cought that one. Good catch!

I did feel that Landry ordering the team to the cabin was also bizzare. No one is ever ordered to go to a cabin for leave time or R & R. In real life you would be begging someone to come to the cabin and having to bribe them with kegs of beer and a party.

I watched "Window of Oppertunity" tonight. That should perfect examples of what you should not do while in the military. It took Daniel nearly three months to decipher the text with Jack and Tea'l helping him. Yet, now Daniel can read Ancinet fluently with in seconds. Daniel was a better character as a nerd IMO. The only thing is Jack didn't pick on Daniel as much as he should have in that episode. Heck, I would have had a grand time with Daniel if I was in Jack's shoes.
          Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

i was also distrated by all the folks, with trigger happy hunters all around, and only ONE of them were wearing hunting orange.

even round here, where most of our hunting is for birds, you do NOT go banging around in the bush without wearing orange.

safety orange is mandatory for any walk in the woods. and people in colorado, in the middle of elk season, when all these hunters are carrying big huge honkin guns, would be decked out in orange like it's no body's business

unless they want to get dead of course
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              i was also distrated by all the folks, with trigger happy hunters all around, and only ONE of them were wearing hunting orange.

even round here, where most of our hunting is for birds, you do NOT go banging around in the bush without wearing orange.

safety orange is mandatory for any walk in the woods. and people in colorado, in the middle of elk season, when all these hunters are carrying big huge honkin guns, would be decked out in orange like it's no body's business

unless they want to get dead of course
              Not if you're with Cam the Hewo. Nothing goes wrong when Cam the Hewo is around!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
                Uninvited repeated tonight on SciFi. This is the description from GW episode page:

General Landry has ordered SG-1 and Vala Mal Doran to join him at General O'Neill's cabin so they get to know one another better -- and to take a break from the constant pressure of the Ori.

So, this is yet another example of an infraction of regulations by the SGC commander. Smacks of favoritism to me. A real morale buster for the other SG-1 teams.

TPTB built a foundation of military protocol and respect during most of seasons 1-8. I learned alot about military ranks and command (I'm not naive, I know they stretched things sometimes). But, TPTB blew this out of the water over and over with attempts at character/team development stories like Uninvited.
                I thought Landry was kinda creepy in this ep.
                Odo's last wishes: cremate me, put me in my bucket, then shoot me through the wormhole.

Rogue

Comment

cam and vala for example. both were needed in a way, the show's needed some fresh characters since the whole daniel/jonas mess showed that people didn't cotton too well to 'out of the blue new arrivals' (one of the harshest crits of jonas was him being intro'd in the same eps where daniel died...of course that was because MS quit so late that they couldn't rewrite/tape/edit preceeding eps, they were already in the can, so the writers can't be blamed for that)

this might not be the right thread, but does anyone know why ms didn't sign on for a season 11? and i've heard it was his choice. i'm just curious.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JessM View Post
                    Nope, I certainly can't.

It's funny (or maybe not) - when he did that in MM, at first I thought he'd been replaced by a pod person.

But then I remembered those other things he'd done - and although his allowing Vala to join SG-1 still seemed very odd and nonsensical, it began to make a little more sense.
                    Maybe the foothold aliens got a hold of him!

Comment

at least to my tastes, vala would have been a better fit had they accentuated more of the 'ex host' and less 'sexy thief'

less superficial 'fun' and games with her hitting on daniel, and more digging into what makes her tick and what haunts her at 3am
                      some of you guys are sick of mitchell and want him gone, where with me, i'm sick of vala, totally. her character, to me, has been a bigger discoloration on this show than mitchell could ever be.

mistakes aside, i still think mitchell can fit into the sg1 team (but NOT as sole sg1 leader) and show, but vala... unless the sgc is not run by the military anymore, there's no way vala would be allowed to be on an sg team. i'm still having trouble with her being allowed on the blasted base!

i also know my probs with vala are that i know that she and daniel-vala will dominate the rest of the show (all 10 eps we have left). and since the first movie will tie up the ori storyline, i know she and d/v will also be present and possibly dominate. when you don't like something, and that something DOMINATES the show...

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nell View Post
                        That irks me, too! It's as though TPTB thought their audience would not notice or they didn't care. Don't TPTB remember that they have an audience of intelligent fans? Are TPTB so desperate that they will do anything to keep the franchise going?
                        wouldn't it be funny if all these mistakes/writing blunders were actually done on purpose, so that the fans would start adding up the mistakes and then... at some point in the show, it's proven that the sg1 we've been watching since season 9 was indeed the *wrong* sg1 in the *wrong* timeline (think the end of 'moebius').

that would take a LOT of thinking through and planning and creativity... yeah, it would never happen.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

It does seem like they do know what they ahve done. In "200", it seemed to me as though they essentially said, "We know we did all this crap, but we expect you to like it".

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
                            Excellent points Jackie.My thought after watching Avalon were this is not going to work.I was shaking my head at the scenes when Mitchell was interviewing SG-1 candidates.That's not really true.I thought things would not work when I heard BB and CB were being brought in.I thought the mix would just not work.In regards to McKay I do not understand why McKay gets soo much screentime.Do TPTB know there are other characters on Atlantis? I'm not sure how the rest of the cast can stand it.
                            Yeah, that interview thing worked great on the COMERCIAL promoting the TV show SG-1. It freaking has no place in the universe of SG-1 at all. It made the USAF look like a bunch of loser dorks. How did SG-1 go from a show that made the USAF look so good to one that made fun of them and treats them like losers. I am so disgusted.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                              Intresting assesments on Mitchell. I do believe the very first mistake they made was in the flashback scene when Jack tells him he can have anything he wants. Give me a break--that would never happen in real life.
                              To the best of my recollection, it has happened a grand total of once on the show, before Season Nine. At the beginning of Season Six, the President – not a major general – offered Jack his choice of posts after he had led SG-1 for five years, saving the planet at least several times over and immediately after he had risked his life flying a soon to explode stargate away from Earth.

Mitchell, as one of many F-302 pilots, getting hurt when he crashed, doesn’t compare to that, at least in my opinion.

I find it really hard to believe a general of the USAF would even tell a "dying" solder that if he pulled through he could get anything. That in itself was just a bunch of hoowey. The general should be keeping the expectaions real and stating something like, [b]"You went above and beyond the call of duty..."[b]
                              Did he? The orders given to the F-302 pilots were to defend SG-1 “at all costs”. Presumably, that includes at the cost of Mitchell’s safety, even his life.

Under the circumstances, surely it would have been a dereliction of duty if he had left the fight while there was any contribution he could have made to it.

Then Mitchell showing up to finding SG-1 was disbanned. That was redicuals...SG-1 is SG-1 because they were the first in line of defense/offence team. Not because they were perfect and wonderful and got a "A1" title. There should have been another team in place if Sam, Daniel and Teal'c left.

When Mitchell showed up for his "new assignment" he should have found another team in place. Mitchell should have discovered that the team was REPLACED, not disbanned. That would have been far more intresting to see Mitchell show up and find SG-1 was now a whole different group of people.

Maybe he could have used the new team in finding out where the old team went and why they split up. Instead of the skit of: "I have to get SG-1 back because everyone else who works here are losers."
                              Even if Sam, Daniel and Teal’c all wanted to leave, for whatever reason – and obviously the SGC would have no control over Daniel or Teal’c – that still doesn’t explain why anyone who possessed so much as an ounce of sense or intelligence would (a) put a newbie in command of the flagship team or (b) have said newbie choose the members of the new SG-1, without any kind of guidance.

Landry should have had Sam (if possible, another SG team leader if not) go through the files for the applicants, select the new SG-1 and accompany them and Mitchell on at least a few missions, to see how he handled himself and to quietly evaluate whether or not he was suitable for command of an SG team before the possibility of him commanding SG-1 was even mentioned to him.

As far as the range of candidates available to Mitchell goes, while I can completely understand that more than a few of those at the SGC might have been reluctant to serve under his command – something I could never blame them for – the mere fact that they were being considered for any post at the SGC used to mean that they were the best available.

Clearly standards had slipped, even in the short time that Landry had been in command.

The show used to pride itself on being in regulation with the USAF...I haven't heard them making that claim lately. Not in Atlantis or SG-1.
                              Whoever suggested that the Air Force advisor was locked in the closet is probably right.

There was also intresting takes on Landry. There was even more mistakes about command. Landry doesn't come off a a General but more like a Dad figure. Putting Vala on SG-1--highly questionable even with Daniel's pleads. Telling Mitchell he felt like he wasn't in charge either and just over all stupid things he did.
                              I think that Landry’s reaction to Mitchell’s complaint that he didn’t feel like he was in charge of SG-1 made no sense. As base commander, if there is a problem with the flagship team, he has a responsibility to look into it – commiserating with their “leader” because he is an equally ineffective commander does not count – and find out why.

Could it be that the rest of SG-1 have no confidence whatsoever in Mitchell’s supposed leadership skills and feel that he is unsuited to the role?

Instead of dragging them away to bond, Landry should have sat them all down individually – bringing Jack or Hammond in to talk to Sam, Daniel and Teal’c if necessary – and got everyone’s opinion on the situation, not just Mitchell’s.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ChevronSeven View Post
                                Not if you're with Cam the Hewo. Nothing goes wrong when Cam the Hewo is around!
                                And when it does, there's always a miraculous and conveniently timed rescue.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Working...
                                X