S10: Critique & Contemplation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think movie one and two will no doubt happen

from the scheduling it looks like they're gonna almost tape them one right after the other. once they're taped, chances are they'll be released

I still consider series 3 to be iffy at this point. I don't thikn it'll be anything close to 'sure' until they have a script and start casting. Until there's casting done,t hey can pull the plug at any time and cut thier losses
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

TPTB should just focus on the Movies and Atlantis.I cannot see a third series happening right now.TPTB struggled with both SG-1 and Atlantis on at the same time.TPTB have more than enough on there plate.

Comment

i agree.

if atlantis' ratings go up, that'll help the franchise as a whole, and if hte movies are 'better' that'll make series 3 happen. but, i think, concentrating on the maybe of series 3 and ignoring making the movies 'good' is not gonna end well

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ses110 View Post
          I see TPTB finally dropped the Season 11 dream and now what to make one Movie a year.Where were they with this idea after Season 8.W e could have enjoyed a couple of great Movies by now without Vala and Mitchell.Now we still have to wait to see if RDA is involved.If RDA is not involved there is a good chance the first two Movies may not sell then that could be the end of additional Movies.
          as i said to a friend tonight, i'm hoping that because the first dvd *needs* to sell REALLY well, that the ptb will put in the tried and true popular themes - JACK/RDA and S/J SHIP - to pave the way for the other movies. oh, and let's not forget the sg1 team. tried, true, and ratings grabbing!

sally
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Funny.... they will probably film both movies at the same time to save money. Thus they will split up the teams so first and second unit can film at the same time and it will be exactly more of the same as in S9 and S10 just with even more and flashier special effects. Not that I will ever know as I will not even give them a chance unless somehow they are magically transformed into Classic Stargate.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

You would think that Sally but TPTB have not stuck to the winning formula the last two years.TPTB should understand by now that more of the same from Season 9 and 10 will not get the job done.If TPTB are serious about making many SG-1 Movies they will look to make things right with the first Movie.TPTB may not get many chances to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                Funny.... they will probably film both movies at the same time to save money.
                Nope, the first film starts shooting on April 15th and the second on June 1st

Comment

well, even if they're not taping both at the same time, they kinda are. 2 weeks on one, and i'm guessing 2 weeks on the second one. so a month's worth of work = two movies and no need to strike and redo sets, etc.

i'm gonna imagine that we'll notice a lot of similarities between the two movies. hair styles, props, etc

it's easier to contract people for one 1 month span than 2 separate 2 week ones

sigpic

Comment

TPTB seem to be trying to run before they can walk at the moment, if that makes sense

Talking about any movies beyond these two, plus also a 3rd series seems more than a little optimistic to me. If they want these movies to sell IMO they are going about it completely the wrong way. Getting people to pay good money to buy a DVD is a bit different from getting them to watch a show every week.

I haven't heard anything about these two movies that makes me think I will want to buy them. I think I'd wait and see nearer the time and want to know more about them before I made a decision.

They should be wanting to appeal to as wide an audience as possible and that was what the show had in the earlier seasons, it did appeal to a wide range of people, then S9/10 came along and a lot of people simply stopped watching. If they are going to continue going down the road of trying to appeal to a narrow section of the fanbase ie S9/10, Daniel/Vala, not to mention the question mark over RDA, then I think a lot of people just won't bother with them.

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      cameron IS better. he's more even and less 'hyper boy on ritalyn'

but vala....vala will NEVER be more than an accessory for Daniel. Shanks seems to love he as his 'female partner' and i think that's all coop will ever allow her to be.

they are so obsessed with making sure that daniel is now half of a ship that vala will never be more than daniel's girl. they had thier chance with MM to make her independant and separate...and instead she's just the damsel in distress for hero daniel to rescue.

as much as michael may adore working with her, the obsession with all things Vaniel is really doing nothing more than pumping up daniel's ego while it turns vala into a door mat.

and another female character falls victim to the Frat Boy's 18th century view of women. they ain't nuthin unless they're promoting 'thier man'

and if the man decides to leave the show....hey, what are we gonna do with this woman??? they'll just get rid of her and find someone younger to attach to someone else

You're right, imo, in everything you say about Vala.

But I've grown to tolerate her. sometimes it's a matter of watching with my eyes crossed just right, then I can at least pretend she isn't there, and failing that sometimes, she can even make me smile a little. But Mitchell-for me he's the one who is a lost cause. His antics in Season 9 were just too ott for what his character is meant to be, and I just can't get past that. I despise him, and would far rather he be written off the show at this point than see any tinkering to make his character acceptable. I don't care how much a 180 they do with him, the damage, for me, has been done and there's no going back. I guess with Vala, after seeing PU I never held out any hope for her character, but I had expected more out of Cameron.

Comment

The success of the 1st movie saleswise will really depend on how good a cliffhanger they write for the last episode of Season 10. If that cliffhanger is as lame as "The Quest, Part One", sales probably won't be very good. The Ori as a threat just hasn't been dramatically strong so they better come up with something better than a fire-breathing dragon to pique people's interest in seeing the conclusion of the Ori storyline.

The second movie really will need a good hook to draw people in. If the writers don't realize they have to write above their usual level to get people to fork over money rather than watch for free on their couch, it will fail to sell well.

Comment

Perfect sense.TPTB have lost focus on the here and now and are always looked at the next project before making sense there current projects are done well.I feel after Season 9 and 10 many Fans are not going to run out and buy the DVD's without having a good sense about the Movies.TPTB have to win me over for me to go out and buy these Movies.I'm not the type of Fan who is going to stick with a Show or Movie no matter what just because I liked it in the past.

Comment

yes, they keep 'ooh, look at that carrot, wouldn't it be fun!!!!!!!' and looking forward and forward and forward...and kinda neglet to notice that the show that's right in front of them is dying of neglect.

reaching for that carrot is useless if the donkey you're riding dies of thirst cause ya forgot to let him take a drink

I will be personally very surprised if series 3 goes beyond the concept stage. Maybe if we had some fresh writers for the movies i'd have more optimism. but these boys keep having the idea that if they keep putting out the same drek over and over and over eventually the whole world will change its preferences and decide that they really ARE geniuses and we were all just poor misguided folks with issues

Thier blindness will kill the franchise. It's just gonna be a slow and lingering death (and already has been to be honest)

sigpic

Comment

By the sounds of it the last episode of season 10 is a bottle episode.
                              Spoiler:
                              Messing about with how the team (and I use the term lightly) might be in the future.

Nothing I've seen of the spoilers suggests any major cliffhanger to make people want to watch the DVD. So they've already tied one arm of the DVD sales behind its back before it's even started.

Comment

I am curious to what kind of advertisment that the uber pro people will consider acceptable so that they cant blame it for the DVD failures?

I mean IMHO and experience S10 of Stargate was the best advertised season they had with multiple TV guide covers. Other magazine covers, news paper adds, TV spots and even a call to watch on a local talk radio station.

Now I am not sure how much more MGM does for DVDs. The last straight to DVD movie I have seen advertised (I think it was striaght to DVD) is the Air Buddies movie (I assume a follow up to Air Bud). All they do for those is run a few TV spots. Sure some of the spots may end up on ABC and CBS but its not like MGM is going to go on a multi milion dollar advertising spree or anything.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X